What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Emmanuel Sanders (RETIRED) (2 Viewers)

I think this guy is a huge sell right now. Writers at DLF suggesting Decker-like seasons. IMHO -- Decker was the clear #2 target last year, and Sanders is going to merely be the #4 target this year. He should have a solid year this year, but if you can get a Torrey/Fitz for him, I'd jump on that.

Have they closed this deal yet or is it just in the works still? I am not seeing anything saying done deal, but I haven't been on twitter lately, which seems to be the news breaking forum.

Went and looked, done deal.

Sanders has very good hands good speed and very good quickness, Peyton throws to who is open, I expect a good season out of Sanders.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is the Bronco's solution at #2 WR post-Decker, this excites the hell out of me as a guy who owns Julius Thomas and Welker in a couple leagues. Peyton can make anyone special, but Sanders isn't a huge threat compared to those two, IMO. And of course DT will always get his.

I think this guy is a huge sell right now. Writers at DLF suggesting Decker-like seasons. IMHO -- Decker was the clear #2 target last year, and Sanders is going to merely be the #4 target this year. He should have a solid year this year, but if you can get a Torrey/Fitz for him, I'd jump on that.
Except there is no way anybody is going to get a Torrey/Fitz for him so...yeah...

From Rotoworld today:

Front office executives around the NFL are reportedly "fuming and crying foul" over Emmanuel Sanders' decision to sign with the Broncos.

It has nothing to do with the Broncos, but everything to do with Sanders and his agent. Sanders reportedly agreed to terms with the Chiefs earlier in the week before his agent took that offer to Tampa Bay and engaged in talks with the Bucs. The 49ers had a visit set up with Sanders before he and his agent blew it off. "This was one of the worst situations in modern football negotiations," one executive said. Another said Sanders' agent, Steve Weinberg, broke "every rule in negotiations." What Weinberg did isn't against the rules, but it's commonly accepted that once sides agree with a handshake or in writing, the deal is set. Weinberg has two clients currently in the NFL.

From Rotoworld today:

Front office executives around the NFL are reportedly "fuming and crying foul" over Emmanuel Sanders' decision to sign with the Broncos.

It has nothing to do with the Broncos, but everything to do with Sanders and his agent. Sanders reportedly agreed to terms with the Chiefs earlier in the week before his agent took that offer to Tampa Bay and engaged in talks with the Bucs. The 49ers had a visit set up with Sanders before he and his agent blew it off. "This was one of the worst situations in modern football negotiations," one executive said. Another said Sanders' agent, Steve Weinberg, broke "every rule in negotiations." What Weinberg did isn't against the rules, but it's commonly accepted that once sides agree with a handshake or in writing, the deal is set. Weinberg has two clients currently in the NFL.
Read this and rubbed my chin in wonderment. If an agreement was made with KC, even verbally, is it worth the reputation to bail on an agreement? I'm missing something here or just reading into it too much. How do franchises respond to this behavior when this agent has a middling or aging talent in the future?

From Rotoworld today:

Read this and rubbed my chin in wonderment. If an agreement was made with KC, even verbally, is it worth the reputation to bail on an agreement? I'm missing something here or just reading into it too much. How do franchises respond to this behavior when this agent has a middling or aging talent in the future?
He'll need to fire that agent when hes an FA again

Rotoworld:

Broncos GM John Elway talked up Emmanuel Sanders' versatility and move-ability when explaining when Denver targeted him in free agency.
Sanders primarily played Z and slot receiver in Pittsburgh. He'll likely focus on "Z" in Denver, and slot when Wes Welker moves on. "He can play anywhere," Elway said of Sanders. "He can play inside, he can be outside. He's explosive. Great separation skills. He can do it all." Sanders is a virtual lock for WR3 value, and could push for WR2 numbers with Peyton Manning at the helm.

Source: Denver Post

Free Agency Winners

Excerpt:

[SIZE=small]1. Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Broncos[/SIZE]

It’s not a question of whether Emmanuel Sanders’ stock will go up as a Bronco. It’s exactly how much it will rise.

Sanders steps into an offense that boasted five guys with at least 60 catches, four receivers with 10+ touchdowns and two with 1,200+ yards. Eric Decker, now a Jet, accounted for 87 catches, 1288 yards and 11 touchdowns on 137 targets (second on team behind Demaryius Thomas’ 143 targets).

Decker and Sanders are very different receivers. The former goes 6’3/214 while the latter is 5’11/180. Sanders brings far more long speed, but Decker has been far more sure-handed. The key here won’t be catches or yards – we know those are going to come in this offense. As Sanders said, “To play with Peyton Manning is like wide receiver heaven.” The key will be touchdowns.

Some will write off Sanders’ touchdown potential because of his size. Don’t do it. Out of Sanders’ 11 career touchdowns, a whopping nine have come from 11 yards away or closer. Note that five of Decker’s 11 touchdowns last year, just six came from that close in. Also, Wes Welker had 10 touchdowns in 2013 at 5’9/185. In other words, Sanders is a very capable red-zone receiver and Peyton has no problem looking for smaller receivers at the goal-line. He’s going to get at least 1,100 yards and seven scores and will have upside for more.

“He can play inside, he can be outside. He’s explosive,” GM John Elway said of Sanders. “Great separation skills. He can do it all.”

IMO 1100 / 7 seems closer to his ceiling than his floor realistically. Obviously, Denver with Manning is a great situation, but Pittsburgh with Big Ben isn't exactly a WR wasteland, and Sanders never even came close to those numbers despite much less competition for targets than he'll have to face in Denver.

Coeur de Lion said:
IMO 1100 / 7 seems closer to his ceiling than his floor realistically. Obviously, Denver with Manning is a great situation, but Pittsburgh with Big Ben isn't exactly a WR wasteland, and Sanders never even came close to those numbers despite much less competition for targets than he'll have to face in Denver.
I agree with this sentiment. He was in a nice situation last year after Wallace left and couldn't capitalize. I don't agree with the thought that he's a clear 4th option as stated by someone else above, though. I am not convinced that Julius Thomas is that good. He looks the part at times, but hard for the crowds to not overreact to a guy catching the ball during a historic year for his QB. Sanders is talented, Welker is talented, and JT is talented. Are any of them elite? No. Decker is more talented than Sanders, but Peyton won't have the year he had last year, so JT and Welker will probably both see dips in production even if Sanders sees 15% less targets than Decker. This is about as close to non-news as a signing of a WR2 on a high potency offense can get.

I've read that the Broncos rated Sanders as the best FA WR. Based on the contract Denver gave him, it seems like the team expects their new addition to produce near the level of Decker. I don't see any reason he can't do it. It seems most the posters on this thread have labeled Sanders a sell high, but imo he will have more value at this time next year.

Some people are going to think that Sanders can but up almost Decker numbers. I doubt it with the Thomas's and Welker a top the pecking order. Welker may get 90-100 catches this year.

I gotta say I really like the fit from a football standpoint. Fantasy not so much. Welker and Peyton are old players. Peyton could retire before Welker does I think. I'm not sure Sanders can overcome Welker just because of the experience factor. He'll be a WR3/4 here. Too many mouths to feed. I'd be surprised if Sanders finishes in the top 30 receivers if the rest of Denver's crew stays healthy.

Some people are going to think that Sanders can but up almost Decker numbers. I doubt it with the Thomas's and Welker a top the pecking order. Welker may get 90-100 catches this year.
He would have hit those numbers last year had he not been shut down early with the concussion. Regardless, Denver's passing totals are going to decline a bunch across the board, and anyone expecting Sanders to be Decker 2.0 is going to be hugely disappointed.

Welker is the huge winner with Deckers depature......huge.

Can you say 100 receptions again?

Agree that Welker should be near 100 catches again, but that's not really a departure from last year when he was pacing for over 90 prior to getting hurt. Welker and Decker are completely different types of WRs that really can't be asked to do the same things.

Everyone seems to be anticipating a significant decline in passing #s from Peyton

What is a reasonable o/u for Peyton in 2014/2015:

My projections: 600 attempts, 390 completions, 8ypa, 4800 yards, 43 TDs, 11int

Let's assume DT gets his 1400 and 12 tds

Julius Thomas 900 and 10

Welker 1000 and 10

rbs, other TEs, other WRs 500 and 5

That leaves 1000 yards and 6 tds for Sanders as imo an absolute floor and could easily outperform if either peyton has another MONSTER year or someone else gets injured (which is likely given Welker and JT's past)

Given Moreno alone had 550 yards last season, 500 for every other RB, other TEs and WRs not named DT, Welker or Sanders seems low. I mean you add 200 yards to that and all of a sudden Sanders is at his last season numbers.

Everyone seems to be anticipating a significant decline in passing #s from Peyton

What is a reasonable o/u for Peyton in 2014/2015:

My projections: 600 attempts, 390 completions, 8ypa, 4800 yards, 43 TDs, 11int

Let's assume DT gets his 1400 and 12 tds

Julius Thomas 900 and 10

Welker 1000 and 10

rbs, other TEs, other WRs 500 and 5

That leaves 1000 yards and 6 tds for Sanders as imo an absolute floor and could easily outperform if either peyton has another MONSTER year or someone else gets injured (which is likely given Welker and JT's past)
Last year the non big 4 combined for 144 - 1288. Projecting 500 yards for them in 2014 is a massively low estimate. Sanders has never even hit 750 yards despite being higher in the pecking order for targets in Pittsburgh than he will likely be in Denver. 1000 yards as an "absolute floor" is not remotely realistic.

From Rotoworld today:

I would not be firing my agent......the guy took sanders from QB Hell to QB heaven with Manning, and has one last chance to cash in on stud numbers when he's 30.

After 3 seasons, Welker will be done, it will be Julius, DT, and Sanders. He's primed for another chance to cash in on a contract.

Sure, it was schmultzy but the agent put his client in the best position possible.

Given Moreno alone had 550 yards last season, 500 for every other RB, other TEs and WRs not named DT, Welker or Sanders seems low. I mean you add 200 yards to that and all of a sudden Sanders is at his last season numbers.
oh wow didn't realize i realize the "others" had so much receiving productivity. Yea def adjust those upwards a bit

What do we think about Ball's (or whoever is getting playing time at rb) receiving potential vs what Moreno did last season?

From Rotoworld today:

I would not be firing my agent......the guy took sanders from QB Hell to QB heaven with Manning, and has one last chance to cash in on stud numbers when he's 30.

After 3 seasons, Welker will be done, it will be Julius, DT, and Sanders. He's primed for another chance to cash in on a contract.

Sure, it was schmultzy but the agent put his client in the best position possible.
Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, and Antonio Brown disagree that playing with Roethlisberger is "QB Hell." Emmanuel Sanders just isn't that good.ETA: Unless you were talking about KC. Or being a drunk 20 year old girl around Ben. If so, disregard.

Ben averaged 515 attempts per year in his last 3 seasons. Peyton averaged 640 over his last 3 seasons played. Sanders might have been higher up in the order in Pittsburgh but there are over 100 more attempts coming from Peyton.

Sanders is a pretty good wr, as the number 2 guy in Pitts he had less targets than Welker did as the #3/4 guy in Denver. I am not sure how that translates to him not being very good.

Welker had 73/778/10 and 10 drops

Sanders had 67/740/6 and 3 drops

Sanders has also only been a starter for 1 season, prior to that it was Brown and Wallace. Not saying I think Sanders is gonna go into Denver and take over but his skill set is good and with Manning throwing it a ton, he's going to be good. I definitely do not think that because Sanders never had more than 750 yards receiving in a season that somehow will hold him back or makes him not good.

Ben averaged 515 attempts per year in his last 3 seasons. Peyton averaged 640 over his last 3 seasons played. Sanders might have been higher up in the order in Pittsburgh but there are over 100 more attempts coming from Peyton.
While missing time in two of those seasons, four games total. As the clear #2 target on a team that threw 584 times last year, Sanders managed 67 - 740. I'll stand on "he's just not that good."

Sanders is a pretty good wr, as the number 2 guy in Pitts he had less targets than Welker did as the #3/4 guy in Denver. I am not sure how that translates to him not being very good.

Sanders has also only been a starter for 1 season, prior to that it was Brown and Wallace. Not saying I think Sanders is gonna go into Denver and take over but his skill set is good and with Manning throwing it a ton, he's going to be good. I definitely do not think that because Sanders never had more than 750 yards receiving in a season that somehow will hold him back or makes him not good.
Welker did that in 12 1/2 games vs 16 for Sanders. I'm a Steelers' homer who has seen every play Sanders has ever played in the NFL -- trust me, he's nowhere near as good as Wes Welker or Eric Decker. There's a reason everyone in Pittsburgh was pissed that the team didn't let him walk last year to the Pats for a 3rd round comp pick.

Welker did that in 12 1/2 games vs 16 for Sanders. I'm a Steelers' homer who has seen every play Sanders has ever played in the NFL -- trust me, he's nowhere near as good as Wes Welker or Eric Decker. There's a reason everyone in Pittsburgh was pissed that the team didn't let him walk last year to the Pats for a 3rd round comp pick.
I guess we shall see this year how things go.

oh wow didn't realize i realize the "others" had so much receiving productivity. Yea def adjust those upwards a bit

What do we think about Ball's (or whoever is getting playing time at rb) receiving potential vs what Moreno did last season?
Denver was making an effort to get Ball more involved in the passing game late in the season, even at Moreno's expense. 22 of his 27 targets came after week 11. It was clear he wasn't as good in the passing game as Moreno, though, so barring big improvement or Denver adding another back to the roster, I would imagine the receiving numbers from the RB position are in line for a pretty big hit next year.

From Rotoworld today:

Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, and Antonio Brown disagree that playing with Roethlisberger is "QB Hell." Emmanuel Sanders just isn't that good.ETA: Unless you were talking about KC. Or being a drunk 20 year old girl around Ben. If so, disregard.
Ben is a good QB, but he is no Manning. When has Ben ever made 2 wr's valuable at the same time in fantasy football? Manning does this yearly and he also adds in a TE and sometimes another WR just for fun.

I get that Sanders is not a special talent, but Sanders starting in a Manning lead offense trumps being the number 2 guy in a Big Ben offense.

The #4 Receiver (WR or TE) on the Broncos last year averaged 15.4 ppg, good for #20 across all WR/TEs in points per game (PPR scoring).

If that number dropped by 20% next year, the #4 in the Den Offense would still be projected in the top 36 of all Wr/TEs (top 30 of just WRs).

Is Sanders likely to duplicate Decker's top 10 WR finish in points per game (PPR)? Probably not given that Decker was the #2 scorer in that receiving core and regression to the mean is likely for all of the Broncos.

Is Sanders likely to command 80% of what the 4th highest scoring receiver in that offense (Julius) got? Barring injury, I would say yes. Keep in mind, that is only 70% of Decker's production.

70/1000/6 seems very reasonable to me. The upside (particularly in # of receptions) is much higher than that if he is used extensively in the slot.

From Rotoworld today:

Yes, I was referring to KC and Alex Smith.

I don't want to overestimate sanders and I don't want to underestimate the denver offense. There's no question that the offense can support stud fantasy numbers and there's no guarantee whatsoever that sanders is the one who gets them. Until we hear news out of camp, we just plain don't have enough information to make any of the guesses you guys are calling projections but I can say that while I wouldn't take sanders ahead of proven stud wrs, I would gladly take him on my team in that next tier of high upside lottery tickets, and fairly high on that list, too.

From Rotoworld today:

Ben is a good QB, but he is no Manning. When has Ben ever made 2 wr's valuable at the same time in fantasy football? Manning does this yearly and he also adds in a TE and sometimes another WR just for fun.I get that Sanders is not a special talent, but Sanders starting in a Manning lead offense trumps being the number 2 guy in a Big Ben offense.
I think Denver signed him for his ability on the quick screens they like run. Decker wasn't very good at it. Now they have a little more versatility in that respect. As a downfield target, I see Peyton becoming frustrated because they will not be able to depend on him. I expect to see more of Caldwell. Last year was Sanders' career year IMO and Pittsburg still did not want him in spite of their glaring need.

Sanders had some pretty crazy numbers at the combine coming out in 2010. He ran a 4.40 forty which is good, and he had a 39.5 inch vertical which is amazing and a 10 foot 6 broad jump at his height is awesome. His quickness in the 3 cone drill was crazy good too at 6.64 seconds.

I get that he is not going to morph into some stud WR, but he is a decent enough athlete that could surprise at the type of numbers he could put up in that offense.

Coeur de Lion said:
Todem said:

Agree that Welker should be near 100 catches again, but that's not really a departure from last year when he was pacing for over 90 prior to getting hurt. Welker and Decker are completely different types of WRs that really can't be asked to do the same things.
He didn't say they were similar.

The #4 Receiver (WR or TE) on the Broncos last year averaged 15.4 ppg, good for #20 across all WR/TEs in points per game (PPR scoring).

If that number dropped by 20% next year, the #4 in the Den Offense would still be projected in the top 36 of all Wr/TEs (top 30 of just WRs).

Is Sanders likely to duplicate Decker's top 10 WR finish in points per game (PPR)? Probably not given that Decker was the #2 scorer in that receiving core and regression to the mean is likely for all of the Broncos.

Is Sanders likely to command 80% of what the 4th highest scoring receiver in that offense (Julius) got? Barring injury, I would say yes. Keep in mind, that is only 70% of Decker's production.

70/1000/6 seems very reasonable to me. The upside (particularly in # of receptions) is much higher than that if he is used extensively in the slot.
I'm not sure I follow. The 4th WR in this offense last year got 16 catches for 200 yards. The 3rd WR (which I'd imagine Sanders projects to) got 73 for 778 (Welker). Not sure how a 20% drop in numbers put Sanders at 1000 yards. :confused:

Sanders had some pretty crazy numbers at the combine coming out in 2010. He ran a 4.40 forty which is good, and he had a 39.5 inch vertical which is amazing and a 10 foot 6 broad jump at his height is awesome. His quickness in the 3 cone drill was crazy good too at 6.64 seconds.

I get that he is not going to morph into some stud WR, but he is a decent enough athlete that could surprise at the type of numbers he could put up in that offense.
Caldwell's combine was impressive as well4.35 forty, 33' vert, 10'4 broad, 4.11 shuttle, 6.75 three cone

And he is mediocre. I don't see where Sanders is an upgrade worth an extra 11mil.

While missing time in two of those seasons, four games total. As the clear #2 target on a team that threw 584 times last year, Sanders managed 67 - 740. I'll stand on "he's just not that good."
As the clear #2 target, Antonio Brown put up similar numbers in 2012 when he posted 66rec, 787yards, and 5tds. Using the same reasoning should have brought you to the conclusion Brown "is just not that good" also.

Users who are viewing this thread