What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Hakeem Butler, PIT (1 Viewer)

Argh why am I stubbornly holding onto this guy in dynasty?  Gotta free up one more roster spot before rookie draft and man I just can't bring myself to admit my 2nd round mistake last year.  

Argh why am I stubbornly holding onto this guy in dynasty?  Gotta free up one more roster spot before rookie draft and man I just can't bring myself to admit my 2nd round mistake last year.  
You want to keep a day 3 wr who can’t catch and isn’t on a team? 

Cardinals didn't sign WR Hakeem Butler to their practice squad. 

Arizona waived the 2019 draft pick this week after he spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve. If it wasn't already clear, the Cardinals have given up on Butler, who wowed at the 2019 NFL Combine with a 97th percentile speed score and a 95th percentile catch radius. 

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter 

Sep 6, 2020, 7:08 PM ET

That the Cards didn’t sign him to their PS is a relief.  Gives him at least a chance on another squad.  He was buried in Arizona, so I’d rather see him elsewhere at this stage.

I’m pretty sure you can sign players off other people’s practice squads. In no way is this a good thing.
It's a pretty bad thing. If they thought he had any worthwhile potential at all, they would have at least tried to stash him on there surely. 

I’m pretty sure you can sign players off other people’s practice squads. In no way is this a good thing.
And when they do so, I’m pretty sure the team signing off of a practice squad has to do so to their 53 player active roster.  In no way was that happening by any other NFL team sight unseen with no preseason games this year, IMO.  This way at least he might get signed by a front office that was equally as into him last year, thinks he still has skills, and where there might at least be a better opportunity than there in in Zona.  

One of the biggest airballs we’ve seen in awhile 
Agreed. Besides their #1 pick the previous year.

It's weird to me how the same GM who picks Rosen at 1.01 in 2018, picks Butler in the fourth round in 2019, also engineers the Hopkins/DJ trade in 2020.

Agreed. Besides their #1 pick the previous year.

It's weird to me how the same GM who picks Rosen at 1.01 in 2018, picks Butler in the fourth round in 2019, also engineers the Hopkins/DJ trade in 2020.
I meant from a fantasy community perspective 

"Pray for the dead and the dead will pray for you.  Simply because he has nothing else to do".

- somebody I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
The WR version of Christine Michael. The physical attributes are all there. Hakeem's spider chart was unreal. 
Yep but one of the metrics that actually seems to matter (breakout age) was a big red flag. It's the old, "if you were such a freakish size-speed athlete, how come it took so long to do anything in college?"

One of the biggest airballs we’ve seen in awhile 
He was going in the first quite often, in my leagues he did. I honestly liked him before the draft but then soured when he fell. I'm not stubborn. Draft capital matters because if he had been taken in the top 32 he wouldn't have been cut..... yet.

He was going in the first quite often, in my leagues he did. I honestly liked him before the draft but then soured when he fell. I'm not stubborn. Draft capital matters because if he had been taken in the top 32 he wouldn't have been cut..... yet.
Yeah a couple very big names had him incredibly high.

I, uh, missed here to say the least. Huge, fast, great stats - whiff. Can't believe someone doesn't want to take that chance.

Glad to see he made a PS. Washington (perhaps the worst WR corps in the league) worked him out recently and signed a small XFL guy instead.

Rotoworld:

Eagles signed TE Hakeem Butler off the Panthers' practice squad. 

The Eagles are converting wideout Butler to tight end. The No. 103 overall pick of last year's draft, Butler spent Arizona's entire 2019 season on injured reserve with a finger injury, a highly-unusual occurrence. He then failed to make the Cardinals' practice squad after being waived this summer. He had been cooling his heels in Carolina. The position switch is certainly in line with Butler's 6-foot-5, 225-pound frame, though he does not lack for high-end athleticism. The Eagles are hoping they have a Darren Waller on their hands, but fantasy players shouldn't be surprised if Butler sees zero targets during Dallas Goedert's (ankle) absence. This is almost certainly a move made with the long-term in mind. This is the stuff Dynasty league fliers are made of. 

Sep 29, 2020, 3:05 PM ET

Guy had a path to playing with their musical chairs at WR and they took it away making him a TE....ouch

Guy had a path to playing with their musical chairs at WR and they took it away making him a TE....ouch
I don't know, maybe I'm being overoptimistic, but perhaps they saw something specific in him that they felt translated better to being a TE. Waller is obviously the best case, but its a tactic I think should be tried more often with bigger WR's, as the idea is very similar to when CB's move to S. 

Its also possible the Eagles view Goedert as a bigger loss than Reagor(or D-Jax, though no clue how hurt he is) and feel TE is a bigger need with Alshon seemingly being close to returning.

Even if he can learn to play TE it's going to take him years to do it. 
This is an odd take. TE requires a bit more blocking, but it isn't like learning braille. It's still football, still offensive football, still running routes, and even WR's do SOME blocking. Some TE's are terrible blockers and good pass catchers...some are the opposite. There's no reason to think a translation has to take years...though it's probably unreasonable to expect it to be THIS year either

This is an odd take. TE requires a bit more blocking, but it isn't like learning braille. It's still football, still offensive football, still running routes, and even WR's do SOME blocking. Some TE's are terrible blockers and good pass catchers...some are the opposite. There's no reason to think a translation has to take years...though it's probably unreasonable to expect it to be THIS year either
Yeah you ain't blocking DE to much as a WR. Indy tried to convert that Swoopes kids. Never really worked. Basketball player though. Waller is the closest comp. It worked out well but took years. Only one example but where has it really worked and how long did it take? It won't be this year and I'd be surprised if it's next year. Rooting for him but at this point he won't be my stash. 

A TE that is only 225 lbs will struggle to be successful. I can't recall any TEs at his size/weight and speed that are successful. Evan Engram is at like 245 and runs faster than Butler, that's why he is decent. Butler doesn't match up vs CBs anymore. He matches up against heavier LBs.  Swoopes and Niles Paul were both over 240 lbs as TEs.   

PS: Stop comparing him to Waller.  Waller is an exception and he is 255 lbs.

Eagles moving him to TE is another way of saying he can't catch, he can't play the slot. So the only position there is for him is TE for 2-3 catches/game.

He was 7 pounds less than Engram at the combine but taller so BMI is less. Definitely light for TE but could be something. 

He was 7 pounds less than Engram at the combine but taller so BMI is less. Definitely light for TE but could be something. 
Maybe he put on a lot of weight with his injury and a poor work ethic? That could explain being cut? It's bizarre. 

Hakeem Butler WR, Unsigned Free Agent

Eagles waived TE Hakeem Butler.

The Eagles needed roster spots after they activated Dallas Goedert, Jason Peters, and Jalen Reagor from IR. Butler played just one offensive snap in his two appearances with the Eagles. The 2019 fourth-rounder could be re-signed to the practice squad.
Per Rotoworld.

Steelers signed WR Hakeem Butler to a one-year contract.

Butler, 27, who had converted to tight end with the Eagles in 2020, tore up the XFL this spring for the St. Louis BattleHawks. Butler ranked second in receptions (51) and receiving yards (599) during the XFL's 2023 season. He dominated targets and catches for the BattleHawks, using his large frame efficiently. Butler has a shot to make the Steelers roster this season but would likely be the team's No. 4 wideout, at best.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread