What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jalen McMillan, TB (1 Viewer)

Grahamburn

Footballguy

Feel like this kid could have gone a lot higher in the draft if he hadn’t sprained his MCL in week 3. Already had over 300 yards and 3 TDs in those 3 weeks.

More receptions and TDs than Odunze in 2022 and right there in yards.

Smooth route runner and ideal slot type player in the NFL. May have to wait a year because Godwin is expected to play the slot this year, but his contract is up after 2024.

I watched a ton of Pac12 ball and I honestly don't recall much. Need to do some more homework.

@PewterReport
#Bucs WR coach Bryan McClendon says that he likes Jalen McMillan’s flexibility to play on the outside and in the slot. He feels fortunate that he fell to Tampa Bay in the third round.

#Bucs OC Liam Coen says that Jalen McMillan is a pure route-runner and has a competitive nature which allowed him to contribute with the Huskies and carries that over to Tampa Bay.

Scott Smith
Bucs WRs Coach Bryan McClendon says what he likes most about rookie WR Jalen McMillan is his positional flexibility. Says McMillan can play the X, Z and F. McClendon thinks McMillan wouldn’t have lasted to the third round of the draft if he hadn’t gotten nicked up last year.

If tight end Cade Otton was the offensive player of the day on Tuesday, it’s pretty safe to say that rookie wide receiver Jalen McMillan was the offense’s star during Wednesday’s practice.

He and Baker Mayfield have already begun to develop a strong connection, as evidenced by the first play of the Bucs’ 11-on-11 period. McMillan, Tampa Bay’s third-round pick this year, got open near the left sideline and Mayfield threaded a perfect throw to him for a nice chunk of yardage.

McMillan went on to make three or four more catches throughout the rest of practice, and he drew praise from Mayfield when the quarterback spoke with the media after practice.

“He’s really friendly at the top of his routes, attacks the ball, catches with his hands. Just explosive, a smooth route runner,” Mayfield said of McMillan. “So just now, having him put it all together in the offense, get all these alerts, these cans and playing fast – I think for him, really the next step is mastering the offense so he can use that physical talent that he has.”

-Pewter Report

@JennaLaineESPN
Rookie receiver Jalen McMillan, who caught a red zone touchdown from Baker Mayfield yesterday, caught three passes on three targets today from Mayfield. One of the plays he along the right sideline and he kept running so Antoine Winfield kept running with him. Love to see it.

Feel like this kid could have gone a lot higher in the draft if he hadn’t sprained his MCL in week 3. Already had over 300 yards and 3 TDs in those 3 weeks.

More receptions and TDs than Odunze in 2022 and right there in yards.

Smooth route runner and ideal slot type player in the NFL. May have to wait a year because Godwin is expected to play the slot this year, but his contract is up after 2024.
I have him ranked with Ladd, he’s under the radar for sure.

Tex

@32BeatWriters
“McMillan may even have a chance to overtake Palmer for the WR3 role, though Palmer is having a good offseason himself. In either case, the rookie looks like he’ll help the Bucs from day one, whether he’s WR3 or WR4.

As many plays as McMillan made over his first collection of practices as an NFL receiver, it was his intelligence that stood out to his head coach the most.”

@32BeatWriters
“McMillan may even have a chance to overtake Palmer for the WR3 role, though Palmer is having a good offseason himself. In either case, the rookie looks like he’ll help the Bucs from day one, whether he’s WR3 or WR4.

As many plays as McMillan made over his first collection of practices as an NFL receiver, it was his intelligence that stood out to his head coach the most.”
I was bummed to see him land with Tampa. I had some hopes for Palmer and I think it’s a crowded situation now with 4 quality WRs. NFL-wise it’s a really nice group that all complement each other well.

@32BeatWriters
“Although McMillan doesn’t have the speed that Palmer does, he will bring a more diverse set of skills to the Bucs’ receiver room. He is a masterful route-runner with good hands, and a knack for settling into open spaces against zone defenses. The biggest factor working against McMillan is that he is generally viewed as a ‘slot only’ receiver. “

@32BeatWriters

I was bummed to see him land with Tampa. I had some hopes for Palmer and I think it’s a crowded situation now with 4 quality WRs. NFL-wise it’s a really nice group that all complement each other well.
Godwin is a free agent after this season and Evans is likely done after 2025. Palmer and McMillan could very well be a big part of the future.

I wonder if he's going to impact the plans to play Godwin more out of the slot this year.
That's something to monitor in training camp, but I don't think so. Godwin is set to be a beast this season taking the majority of his snaps from the slot. Coen's offense is expected to be much more 3 WR sets than Canales' was, so it is definitely important which player out of Palmer/McMillan wins that WR3 role.

I see what you're saying though in that if McMillan really is that good he'll force his way onto the field and he was primarily a slot player at Washington.

Greg Auman is pretty dialed in:

https://www.4for4.com/news/buccaneers-wr-chris-godwin-see-increased-usage-out-slot

I wonder if he's going to impact the plans to play Godwin more out of the slot this year.
That's something to monitor in training camp, but I don't think so. Godwin is set to be a beast this season taking the majority of his snaps from the slot. Coen's offense is expected to be much more 3 WR sets than Canales' was, so it is definitely important which player out of Palmer/McMillan wins that WR3 role.

I see what you're saying though in that if McMillan really is that good he'll force his way onto the field and he was primarily a slot player at Washington.

Greg Auman is pretty dialed in
:

https://www.4for4.com/news/buccaneers-wr-chris-godwin-see-increased-usage-out-slot
I actually corresponded with Auman on this yesterday.

He seemed a little dismissive that a rookie would "bump" Godwin outside. I don't view it as bumping Godwin so much as the most effective way to get McMillan on the field, if that's what they want to do.

Interestingly enough I checked how much Kupp was aligned per snap out of the slot in his one year with Cohen and it was just about 43%, lower then I expected.

My guess is the plan will start off as Palmer and McMillan in more or less of a rotation and whoever is in the game when they go with 3 WR's will impact if Godwin is in the slot or outside. This likely won't have much impact on him playing the "Kupp" role because Kupp as we see was far from an everydown slot player. It could however impact it if McMillan just becomes someone they don't want to take off the field.

Seems like typical rookie usage to me.
Ignore the shine of this year's rookie class and re-look at this and it's ordinary.
Maybe next year, maybe he gets enough opportunity due to an injury

Rookie wide receiver Jalen McMillan looks like the second coming of Chris Godwin. Smooth, sudden, clutch hands and a precise route-runner. With Trey Palmer struggling with catching a few passes against air in the individual period on Thursday, McMillan’s consistency and knack for making plays has him in the driver’s seat for the No. 3 receiver role.

Users who are viewing this thread