What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (13 Viewers)

Interesting article. I don't, however, know how the writer or anyone else can confidently state that Gordon will enter rehab and will be back in the NFL with any kind of certainty. He could just as easily be fine with the money he's already made and just continue on having fun with his life. If someone handed me a few million dollars in my early 20s, pre-wife, pre-kids, and my choices were to live it up and party like a madman for years vs knuckling down and working my butt off to make even more, I know what I would have done. I'm not wired like a professional athlete, but I don't think this is that black and white for anyone. No doubt teams would line up to get Gordon the minute he's reinstated. But what if he can't stay clean? Or if he just doesn't want to?
Yeah, I think the article-writer overstates certainty in the other direction. Or, at least, his sources do. And I'm curious who his sources are. I just wanted to present it for balance, and because I do believe that, regardless of disagreements over the probability of that outcome, we can at least hopefully acknowledge the possibility of that outcome.

Interesting article. I don't, however, know how the writer or anyone else can confidently state that Gordon will enter rehab and will be back in the NFL with any kind of certainty. He could just as easily be fine with the money he's already made and just continue on having fun with his life. If someone handed me a few million dollars in my early 20s, pre-wife, pre-kids, and my choices were to live it up and party like a madman for years vs knuckling down and working my butt off to make even more, I know what I would have done. I'm not wired like a professional athlete, but I don't think this is that black and white for anyone. No doubt teams would line up to get Gordon the minute he's reinstated. But what if he can't stay clean? Or if he just doesn't want to?
If Gordon doesn't want to stop doing drugs he can always join Will Hill in Arena Football. They don't test for drugs at all.

For whatever it's worth:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2097092-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-josh-gordon-will-be-back-but-wont-be-trusted

The punishment of Gordon is moving along almost two tracks. The alleged failure of the marijuana tests fall under the drug testing policy. The alleged DWI actually comes under Roger Goodell's disciplinary authority.

What is likely to happen, according to a number of team, league and union sources, is that some sort of deal will be worked out between Gordon and the NFL in which a singular punishment is given for the alleged failed drug tests and alleged DWI. It may not be a full season, I'm told. But the number of games Gordon will be suspended is still a mystery.
The DWI falls under both the Substance Abuse Policy and the Personal Conduct Policy.

If Gordon doesn't want to stop doing drugs he can always join Will Hill in Arena Football. They don't test for drugs at all.
Gordon has already made over $3 million not including endorsements or anything else outside of football -- that'll buy you quite a bit of weed. He is probably set for a few years, at least to the point where an arena league check won't make any difference. A few years from now might be a different story. If he's reasonably smart with that $3 million (which I doubt, obviously) he's set for life.

Yes he could...If you assume it takes 4 months after the 12 months is up, he would come back at the end of November 2015
I was more questioning league bylaws than timeline. Cstu seems confident that if Gordon's appeal isn't processed by kickoff of 2015, he'll miss the entire season. I was wondering if that's actually written somewhere in the substance policy.
Good question, I don't believe that is in the policy, but now I am not positive
Apparently he can apply 10 months after he's suspended, which would be the beginning of June 2015 if he's suspended at the end of this month. It does look like it's possible for him to be reinstated by the time the season starts but it would be the quickest I've ever seen anyone reinstated.

Procedures for Making Application for Reinstatement by a Player Banned Under Stage Three of the Intervention Program

Any player who has been suspended under Stage Three may apply formally in writing for reinstatement no sooner than 60 days before the one-year anniversary date of the letter so suspending him.

The application should include all pertinent information about the player’s

(a) Treatment;

(b) Abstinence from substances of abuse throughout the entire period of his suspension;

© Involvement with any substances of abuse related incidents; and

(d) Arrests and/or convictions for any criminal activity, including substances of abuse related offenses.

Set forth below are the procedures to be used when an application is received by the Commissioner.

1. Within 45 days of receipt of the application, the player will be interviewed by the Medical Director and the Medical Advisor after which a recommendation will be made to the Commissioner with regard to the player’s request for reinstatement.

2. The player will execute appropriate medical release forms that will enable the Commissioner’s staff and NFLPA Executive Director’s staff to review the player’s substance abuse history, including but not limited to attendance at counseling sessions (individual, group and family); attendance at 12-step and other self-help group meetings; periodic progress reports; and all diagnostic findings and treatment recommendations.

3. The player will submit to urine Testing by an NFL representative at a frequency determined by the Medical Advisor.

4. The player will agree in a meeting with the Commissioner or his representative(s)to comply with the conditions imposed by the Commissioner for his reinstatement to the status of an active player.

5. All individuals involved in the process will take steps to enable the Commissioner to render a decision within 60 days of the receipt of the application.

I don't know that work ethic has all that much to do with recovery from neurological issues. Rehabbing from an ACL, yeah, sure, working out like a demon will probably help. But spinal cord injuries are just a "yes" or "no" thing I think, and nothing the player can do will have much effect on the outcome. I'm no brain surgeon, so take that with a grain or ten of salt.
Work ethic is necessary when recovering from a spinal injury, but it is not sufficient to ensure recovery. Meaning: if you do not have the requisite work ethic, you will not recover, but just having the necessary work ethic alone does not guarantee success.
Neurological recovery is independent of work or desire. Although, just like in a healthy person, one can maximize their potential through practice (neuroplasticity) and/or learn compensatory movement patterns to make up for loss of normal function.

In a way you are both correct. But, when a nerve is damaged you have absolutely zero control over regeneration of the nerve and its recovery of the capacity to carry the signal from the central nervous system to the peripheral. If his compression was severe, Manning is very VERY lucky to be using his arm normally, much less playing QB in the NFL.

Yes he could...If you assume it takes 4 months after the 12 months is up, he would come back at the end of November 2015
I was more questioning league bylaws than timeline. Cstu seems confident that if Gordon's appeal isn't processed by kickoff of 2015, he'll miss the entire season. I was wondering if that's actually written somewhere in the substance policy.
Good question, I don't believe that is in the policy, but now I am not positive
Apparently he can apply 10 months after he's suspended, which would be the beginning of June 2015 if he's suspended at the end of this month. It does look like it's possible for him to be reinstated by the time the season starts but it would be the quickest I've ever seen anyone reinstated.

Procedures for Making Application for Reinstatement by a Player Banned Under Stage Three of the Intervention Program

Any player who has been suspended under Stage Three may apply formally in writing for reinstatement no sooner than 60 days before the one-year anniversary date of the letter so suspending him.

The application should include all pertinent information about the player’s

(a) Treatment;

(b) Abstinence from substances of abuse throughout the entire period of his suspension;

© Involvement with any substances of abuse related incidents; and

(d) Arrests and/or convictions for any criminal activity, including substances of abuse related offenses.

Set forth below are the procedures to be used when an application is received by the Commissioner.

1. Within 45 days of receipt of the application, the player will be interviewed by the Medical Director and the Medical Advisor after which a recommendation will be made to the Commissioner with regard to the player’s request for reinstatement.

2. The player will execute appropriate medical release forms that will enable the Commissioner’s staff and NFLPA Executive Director’s staff to review the player’s substance abuse history, including but not limited to attendance at counseling sessions (individual, group and family); attendance at 12-step and other self-help group meetings; periodic progress reports; and all diagnostic findings and treatment recommendations.

3. The player will submit to urine Testing by an NFL representative at a frequency determined by the Medical Advisor.

4. The player will agree in a meeting with the Commissioner or his representative(s)to comply with the conditions imposed by the Commissioner for his reinstatement to the status of an active player.

5. All individuals involved in the process will take steps to enable the Commissioner to render a decision within 60 days of the receipt of the application.
Part of getting reinstated is that the player had to have been squeaky clean and complied to the substance abuse policies, attended all mandatory treatment/counseling/testing protocols, and did not have other noncompliance issues. All of that factors into the "all players will take steps for the Commissioner" to make a decision in 60 days part. Part of the issue for players seeking reinstatement is that they better pass with flying colors, as there is no guarantee that they get reinstated. What is not outlined here is whether the reinstatement is pass fail or if the commissioner can tell the player he needs more counseling, treatment, etc. and to table his decision for another 60 days.

Technically is it possible that Gordon could be hit once for the missed test (or whatever), again for the 'friend with the stash' incident, and again a third time for the new driving incident?

I think until Gordon even attempts to get clean, the idea of him playing by 2015 is likely moot. I have yet to even here him wanting to get help. Hell, his agent was yelling at the top of his lungs that this was all a mistake prior to the DWI pullover.

Once the commish levies the likely year ban, I actually hope that Cleveland cuts him. I think that would help this kid way more than having him believe he has a job waiting for him while he fakes his way to get reinstated.

If he gets cut and then we start hearing about him checking into rehab and working with people to claw his way back, then I will start thinking he might be able to return to the NFL. I don't care about his talent. He has a huge problem and the coddling that comes from being a talented football player is not helping him get better. Time for a major gut-check that all the talent in the world is not enough to get to play in this league. Here's hoping that Cleveland does the right thing and just cuts this player outright once the Commish orders the indefenite (at least a year) ban.

I think until Gordon even attempts to get clean, the idea of him playing by 2015 is likely moot. I have yet to even here him wanting to get help. Hell, his agent was yelling at the top of his lungs that this was all a mistake prior to the DWI pullover.

Once the commish levies the likely year ban, I actually hope that Cleveland cuts him. I think that would help this kid way more than having him believe he has a job waiting for him while he fakes his way to get reinstated.

If he gets cut and then we start hearing about him checking into rehab and working with people to claw his way back, then I will start thinking he might be able to return to the NFL. I don't care about his talent. He has a huge problem and the coddling that comes from being a talented football player is not helping him get better. Time for a major gut-check that all the talent in the world is not enough to get to play in this league. Here's hoping that Cleveland does the right thing and just cuts this player outright once the Commish orders the indefenite (at least a year) ban.
With as much talent as he has Gordon is guaranteed a job when he gets reinstated regardless of whether he is faking it or not.

With as much talent as he has Gordon is guaranteed a job when he gets reinstated regardless of whether he is faking it or not.
The rub is that he's going to have to pass 10 drug screens a month, probably including alcohol testing, for a full calender year before getting that reinstatement. And his behavior this offseason is absolutely screaming "IDGAF."There's no faking it over 120 drug tests.

Last edited by a moderator:

The rub is that he's going to have to pass 10 drug screens a month, probably including alcohol testing, for a full calender year before getting that reinstatement. And his behavior this offseason is absolutely screaming "IDGAF."There's no faking it over 120 drug tests.
Didn't he do that all last season?

Didn't he do that all last season?
I'm not certain, but I don't think stage 2 testing is as frequent. Alcohol likely wasn't included. And we know he was probably clean from mid-September -- end of the season, so less than a year. We know for a fact that he's failed at least four drug tests in the past three and a half years, five if ESPN and NFLN are correct about the first incident this offseason. We know he still hangs out with people who carry weed on them. We know he was bailed out by a convicted dealer for his recent DUI.

Could he completely avoid drugs and alcohol for a full year and get reinstated smoothly next year? Sure. But I wouldn't bet on it playing out that way.

And it still may be. Blowing a .09 and getting caught going 50mph in a 35 is super unlucky but people do that all the freaking time. That DWI is not indicative of a substance abuse problem

weed is as addicting as caffeine
In this fantasy world where people make #### up, the word "addiction" has lost all meaning.
Is cannabis addictive? According to Dr. Paula Riggs, who appeared on the Dr. Oz show as the voice of warning around cannabis, about 1 in 11 regular cannabis users will experience symptoms of addiction, namely, withdrawals and a persistent desire to use despite negatives life outcomes.

The other guest was neuroscientist Dr. Carl Hart who astutely asked the audience, “How many of you do caffeine?” Indeed, most of the audience applauded. He then asked, what would happen if you did not use it? You would get a headache. The point is, physical dependence on a substance is common in our society, and we accept it.

I don't understand this idea to cut him. If the Browns were to cut him today, another team would sign him tomorrow and construct an appropriately worded contract to take into account his situation.

How would that help Gordon? It would most likely be more detrimental because he may even receive a signing bonus on this new contract and be financially rewarded in all this.

False Start said:
dickey moe said:
Idiocy aside, if you own him, he's a hold. There are people still holding on to Aaron Hernandez in some of my leagues for God's sakes.
Why is he a hold? Seems like he is the definition of what type of fantasy player should be cut. No value to your team currently, his future is bleak, he commands a wasted roster spot, and he is a guaranteed 0 for at least a year. Whats the value? He may be a stud 2-3 years from now and still have the legal and trouble risks? Last year statistically was probably his best possible season anyways. You are assuming that he will stay in elite shape for the year off and out of trouble and will come back and still be an elite player.

There is no one worth that spot on my team, it provides no value just because he may be decent a few years from now, maybe?
Replace "Josh Gordon circa 2014" with "Peyton Manning circa 2011", and "legal and trouble risks" with "injury risk and surgical complications". That's why Josh Gordon is a hold in dynasty leagues.

Look, no one can accuse me of being a Gordon supporter or apologist. I have plenty of history in the form of articles, posts, and tweets saying that people were ignoring Gordon's risks (and Blackmon's, too), dating back as far as mid-October of last year. I've been leading the "Josh Gordon is being overrated" charge for quite some time. But now, the pendulum has swung way, way too far the other way. People are talking like it's a fait accompli that he'll never again be fantasy relevant. Many are suggesting he'll never play another down of football. They are now overrating his risks and underrating his rewards. I would give even money that Gordon produces positive VBD again at some point in the next three years.

The point of this exercise is not to be automatically bearish on every risk. The point is to be objective and honest about every risk. One of the statistics that caused me to be so down on Gordon is the fact that two thirds of addicts suffer at least one relapse in their first year of treatment. Quibbles about the appropriateness of labeling Gordon an addict aside, I felt that represented a very real risk that the market was not pricing. The flip side of that, of course, is that 33% of addicts *DON'T* suffer a relapse in their first year of treatment. And now I would argue that some are not pricing *that* possibility into his value when they start talking about whether Gordon is even worth a roster spot anymore.
Injuries are not addictions and what happened to manning one time is not the same as what has happened to Gordon for the last 3-4 years. The only difference in Gordon's behavior the past several years is he went from regional coverage to the the hottest spotlight there is in his profession and there is now no where to hide.

We all like a success story and we all LOVE as fantasy guys to pick that turd out of the air that turns to gold but, in this case, I think ignoring human tendencies and history is foolish.

With all the structure and support that could be offered, Gordon couldn't stay clean. Now, likely being away for at least a year, where does that support come from? We expect him to be a choir boy for a year on his own when he couldn't even avoid a DUI while his career swung in the balance?

If you want to talk about us being honest with ourselves, I think we should face the strong possibility that guys like Gordon and Blackmon simply won't be able to conform. I wouldn't expect either of them to be fantasy worthy for at least two years and wouldn't be one bit surprised if neither play again.

I've owned the Charles Rogers, Aaron Hernandez, Lawrence Phillips types of the world and sometimes life gets in the way.

Idiocy aside, if you own him, he's a hold. There are people still holding on to Aaron Hernandez in some of my leagues for God's sakes.
Why is he a hold? Seems like he is the definition of what type of fantasy player should be cut. No value to your team currently, his future is bleak, he commands a wasted roster spot, and he is a guaranteed 0 for at least a year. Whats the value? He may be a stud 2-3 years from now and still have the legal and trouble risks? Last year statistically was probably his best possible season anyways. You are assuming that he will stay in elite shape for the year off and out of trouble and will come back and still be an elite player.

There is no one worth that spot on my team, it provides no value just because he may be decent a few years from now, maybe?
Replace "Josh Gordon circa 2014" with "Peyton Manning circa 2011", and "legal and trouble risks" with "injury risk and surgical complications". That's why Josh Gordon is a hold in dynasty leagues.

Look, no one can accuse me of being a Gordon supporter or apologist. I have plenty of history in the form of articles, posts, and tweets saying that people were ignoring Gordon's risks (and Blackmon's, too), dating back as far as mid-October of last year. I've been leading the "Josh Gordon is being overrated" charge for quite some time. But now, the pendulum has swung way, way too far the other way. People are talking like it's a fait accompli that he'll never again be fantasy relevant. Many are suggesting he'll never play another down of football. They are now overrating his risks and underrating his rewards. I would give even money that Gordon produces positive VBD again at some point in the next three years.

The point of this exercise is not to be automatically bearish on every risk. The point is to be objective and honest about every risk. One of the statistics that caused me to be so down on Gordon is the fact that two thirds of addicts suffer at least one relapse in their first year of treatment. Quibbles about the appropriateness of labeling Gordon an addict aside, I felt that represented a very real risk that the market was not pricing. The flip side of that, of course, is that 33% of addicts *DON'T* suffer a relapse in their first year of treatment. And now I would argue that some are not pricing *that* possibility into his value when they start talking about whether Gordon is even worth a roster spot anymore.
Injuries are not addictions and what happened to manning one time is not the same as what has happened to Gordon for the last 3-4 years. The only difference in Gordon's behavior the past several years is he went from regional coverage to the the hottest spotlight there is in his profession and there is now no where to hide.

We all like a success story and we all LOVE as fantasy guys to pick that turd out of the air that turns to gold but, in this case, I think ignoring human tendencies and history is foolish.

With all the structure and support that could be offered, Gordon couldn't stay clean. Now, likely being away for at least a year, where does that support come from? We expect him to be a choir boy for a year on his own when he couldn't even avoid a DUI while his career swung in the balance?

If you want to talk about us being honest with ourselves, I think we should face the strong possibility that guys like Gordon and Blackmon simply won't be able to conform. I wouldn't expect either of them to be fantasy worthy for at least two years and wouldn't be one bit surprised if neither play again.

I've owned the Charles Rogers, Aaron Hernandez, Lawrence Phillips types of the world and sometimes life gets in the way.
That's all well and good, but I think it's too easy to get blinded by the immediate and lose sight of just how much things really change. Cris Carter played again. Brett Favre played again. Ray Lewis played again. Leonard Little played again. Donte Stallworth played again. Michael Vick played again. Plaxico Burress played again. Peyton Manning played again. Even Ricky Williams- RICKY WILLIAMS- played again. There have been several situations where I thought player reinstatement was far less likely than it is right now, and the player eventually came back to play again.

I'm not even saying it's a sure thing. I've posted that I'm predicting maybe a 1-in-3 chance of Gordon going a year without a relapse. I put the line at 50/50 for Gordon accumulating positive VBD within the next three seasons. It's not like I'm projecting sunshine and roses. These are pretty poor odds, all things considered. It's just that, when the reward is what Josh Gordon brings to the table, even poor odds are worth gambling on.

I often say that the most common fantasy mistakes usually boil down to a simple failure of imagination. We cannot imagine a player playing poorly suddenly turning it around (like Chris Johnson has the last two years). We cannot imagine a young player who had a good rookie year not taking a step forward (like Michael Clayton). We cannot imagine records being broken, or backups beating out starters. And, in this case, we cannot imagine Josh Gordon getting clean. We work better with clear, discrete outcomes- with probabilities of 0% and 100%- so we estimate away all shades of gray and round everything off until all we're left with is black and white.

At the moment, Josh Gordon getting his life together seems unlikely. Personally, I think it's pretty likely. My biggest question is only how long it's going to take.

If I'm a Gordon owner, I'm also holding until it plays out.
So what made you join the site and start all your posting in this one thread today after signing up just two days ago, how did you hear about FBG? I always like hearing how new people got the urge to start posting.
:lmao:

:missing:

Just put the Giants shirt back on, and c'mon back, already. :D
Nope, got the wrong guy.

But, he was rather entertaining, and that's something.
OJaay was a very active new poster in this thread and providing some discussion, why did he decide to leave the conversation after this post?

I don't understand this idea to cut him. If the Browns were to cut him today, another team would sign him tomorrow and construct an appropriately worded contract to take into account his situation.

How would that help Gordon? It would most likely be more detrimental because he may even receive a signing bonus on this new contract and be financially rewarded in all this.
I dont think they should cut him just in case he does come back, but my contention is he will not come back as addiction is crazy and we have seen the same path of suspension and someone joining rehab and still not back in Blackmon.

Only if you also factor in Peyton's known work ethic and proven elite status over time. Not saying JG doesn't work, but Peyton is one of the best workers in the business.
I'm not saying that Josh Gordon is Peyton Manning. I'm saying that every statement False Start used to describe Josh Gordon would have also described Peyton Manning. No value to your team currently. His future is bleak. He commands a wasted roster spot, and he is guaranteed a 0 for at least a year. He may be a stud 2-3 years from now and still have the [risk of reinjury]. His best statistical seasons were probably behind him. You had to assume that he would be able to regain his elite conditioning after a lengthy rehab. If these particular statements were a good reason, in and of themselves, to drop a player... well then, we all should have dropped Peyton Manning in 2011. Also, while Gordon may not have Peyton's work ethic, I can name a hell of a lot more players who overcame serious addiction problems, got clean, and went on to have Hall of Fame careers than players who returned from having their neck fused and ever played another snap again.

Peyton and Gordon are obviously different people facing different issues and presenting a different set of risks. I'm just trying to show how a risk/reward proposition can still easily be worth rostering, even if the risk is extreme, provided the potential reward remains commensurate. And yes, the possibility- however remote- of having a clean and healthy 25-year-old Josh Gordon locked up certainly counts as "commensurate reward".
We agree that he's worth rogering.

Only if you also factor in Peyton's known work ethic and proven elite status over time. Not saying JG doesn't work, but Peyton is one of the best workers in the business.
I'm not saying that Josh Gordon is Peyton Manning. I'm saying that every statement False Start used to describe Josh Gordon would have also described Peyton Manning. No value to your team currently. His future is bleak. He commands a wasted roster spot, and he is guaranteed a 0 for at least a year. He may be a stud 2-3 years from now and still have the [risk of reinjury]. His best statistical seasons were probably behind him. You had to assume that he would be able to regain his elite conditioning after a lengthy rehab. If these particular statements were a good reason, in and of themselves, to drop a player... well then, we all should have dropped Peyton Manning in 2011. Also, while Gordon may not have Peyton's work ethic, I can name a hell of a lot more players who overcame serious addiction problems, got clean, and went on to have Hall of Fame careers than players who returned from having their neck fused and ever played another snap again.

Peyton and Gordon are obviously different people facing different issues and presenting a different set of risks. I'm just trying to show how a risk/reward proposition can still easily be worth rostering, even if the risk is extreme, provided the potential reward remains commensurate. And yes, the possibility- however remote- of having a clean and healthy 25-year-old Josh Gordon locked up certainly counts as "commensurate reward".
Roger that.

NTTAWWT.

BEREA, Ohio – Ever stop at a supermarket and leave behind the wheel of someone else's new vehicle – at least without a police bulletin being issued?

Well, that's apparently how Browns receiver Josh Gordon ended up in an NBA player's 2015 Cadillac Escalade on the night of his arrest for driving while impaired in North Carolina.

Charlotte Hornets rookie P.J. Hairston told the Charlotte Observer of the unusual arrangement Thursday. He reportedly met the Browns receiver at a grocery store in Chapel Hill, N.C., and the two pro athletes decided to exchange vehicles for a day.

If true, it does solve the mystery of how the All Pro was stopped by police driving an Escalade not registered to him.

Of course, it only makes the receiver's latest misadventure more bizarre. Players frequently exchange cell numbers, jerseys, sports memorabilia – former New York Yankees' Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich once swapped wives – but vehicles on a whim? It's a tale that raises as many questions as it answers.

"Me and Josh Gordon met at the Fresh Market," Hairston was quoted as saying in a transcript supplied by the Hornets. "I was at the Aloft right next door to the Fresh Market and I walked there to get food and happened to run in to him in there. I am a football fan so I knew who he was. Right away, we started talking about football, basketball and we walked outside. He saw my car and asked me 'What are you doing?'

"He asked if I minded if we switched cars and we exchanged numbers and he was going to drive my car that night and bring it back to me. ... He had never seen my car. My car is new. I liked his car. He had a Mercedes, so I said OK we will switch. I was just being generous. I have a thing for being generous and I didn't think that it was a big deal so we could switch. It's not like he would mess up my car if I had his car."

Gordon, who's facing a potential year-long drug ban from the NFL, was stopped for speeding early Saturday morning and arrested for drunk driving. His blood-alcohol level was .09, according to the citation obtained by Raleigh NBC-affiliate WNCN, and he admitted to having three drinks mixed with vodka. The legal limit in North Carolina is .08.

Hairston said he spent no time with Gordon and was sitting in a hotel room when he learned of the arrest.

The Browns wideout was bailed out of jail by Haydn "Fats" Thomas, a convicted felon from Durham, N.C.

Gordon's latest off-field issue led Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter to say the Browns should cut him.

Hairston isn't a stranger to negative headlines, either. Thomas, who's serving a suspended sentence on drug and gun charges, loaned Hairston a rental car that led the University of North Carolina to rule him ineligible in 2013 prior to what would have been his junior season. Hairston was drafted No. 26 overall by the Miami Heat before being traded to the Hornets.

"I wasn't disappointed because I didn't think that it would get to the point where it is now," Hairston said of Gordon's arrest. "Once I realized that he had connections with people that got me in trouble in the past, I figured it would probably be a problem."

Over the weekend, Hairston was accused of punching a high school player during a pickup game at a YMCA. Police reportedly charged him with assault and battery on Monday.

BEREA, Ohio – Ever stop at a supermarket and leave behind the wheel of someone else's new vehicle – at least without a police bulletin being issued?

Well, that's apparently how Browns receiver Josh Gordon ended up in an NBA player's 2015 Cadillac Escalade on the night of his arrest for driving while impaired in North Carolina.

Charlotte Hornets rookie P.J. Hairston told the Charlotte Observer of the unusual arrangement Thursday. He reportedly met the Browns receiver at a grocery store in Chapel Hill, N.C., and the two pro athletes decided to exchange vehicles for a day.

If true, it does solve the mystery of how the All Pro was stopped by police driving an Escalade not registered to him.

Of course, it only makes the receiver's latest misadventure more bizarre. Players frequently exchange cell numbers, jerseys, sports memorabilia – former New York Yankees' Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich once swapped wives – but vehicles on a whim? It's a tale that raises as many questions as it answers.

"Me and Josh Gordon met at the Fresh Market," Hairston was quoted as saying in a transcript supplied by the Hornets. "I was at the Aloft right next door to the Fresh Market and I walked there to get food and happened to run in to him in there. I am a football fan so I knew who he was. Right away, we started talking about football, basketball and we walked outside. He saw my car and asked me 'What are you doing?'

"He asked if I minded if we switched cars and we exchanged numbers and he was going to drive my car that night and bring it back to me. ... He had never seen my car. My car is new. I liked his car. He had a Mercedes, so I said OK we will switch. I was just being generous. I have a thing for being generous and I didn't think that it was a big deal so we could switch. It's not like he would mess up my car if I had his car."

Gordon, who's facing a potential year-long drug ban from the NFL, was stopped for speeding early Saturday morning and arrested for drunk driving. His blood-alcohol level was .09, according to the citation obtained by Raleigh NBC-affiliate WNCN, and he admitted to having three drinks mixed with vodka. The legal limit in North Carolina is .08.

Hairston said he spent no time with Gordon and was sitting in a hotel room when he learned of the arrest.

The Browns wideout was bailed out of jail by Haydn "Fats" Thomas, a convicted felon from Durham, N.C.

Gordon's latest off-field issue led Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter to say the Browns should cut him.

Hairston isn't a stranger to negative headlines, either. Thomas, who's serving a suspended sentence on drug and gun charges, loaned Hairston a rental car that led the University of North Carolina to rule him ineligible in 2013 prior to what would have been his junior season. Hairston was drafted No. 26 overall by the Miami Heat before being traded to the Hornets.

"I wasn't disappointed because I didn't think that it would get to the point where it is now," Hairston said of Gordon's arrest. "Once I realized that he had connections with people that got me in trouble in the past, I figured it would probably be a problem."

Over the weekend, Hairston was accused of punching a high school player during a pickup game at a YMCA. Police reportedly charged him with assault and battery on Monday.
uhhh... what? This is bizarre. I think either this is a b.s. story or Gordon and Hairston are seriously :crazy:

uhhh... what? This is bizarre. I think either this is a b.s. story or Gordon and Hairston are seriously :crazy:
Yeah they're hiding something.

Of course, it only makes the receiver's latest misadventure more bizarre. Players frequently exchange cell numbers, jerseys, sports memorabilia – former New York Yankees' Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich once swapped wives – but vehicles on a whim? It's a tale that raises as many questions as it answers."Me and Josh Gordon met at the Fresh Market," Hairston was quoted as saying in a transcript supplied by the Hornets. "I was at the Aloft right next door to the Fresh Market and I walked there to get food and happened to run in to him in there. I am a football fan so I knew who he was. Right away, we started talking about football, basketball and we walked outside. He saw my car and asked me 'What are you doing?'

Wait, you don't exchange cars for the day with people you've just met at Fresh Market?

Yea, I don't get all the SoulFly call-out stuff. I thought SoulFly looked pretty childish through a lot of the thread. But the people calling him out are certainly looking just as bad.
and.... you could be Soulfly for all we know. no accountability on this board with the ability to switch amongst multiple accounts.

Yea, I don't get all the SoulFly call-out stuff. I thought SoulFly looked pretty childish through a lot of the thread. But the people calling him out are certainly looking just as bad.
and.... you could be Soulfly for all we know.no accountability on this board with the ability to switch amongst multiple accounts.
That's true. Our posting styles are almost identical. I mean, other than the part where they are nothing alike. Then again, that could all be part of my master rouse I suppose.

How do the people calling out the people for calling out Soulfly look?

:pokey: ...you're looking bad....no, you're looking bad....
If you don't understand how immature these folks look with their posts (I assume you read them, maybe eve posted one?), then there really isn't much I can do for you. I had hoped the disappearance of a major agitator in this thread might turn it around, turn it in to the thread it was likely started to be. I forgot where I was I suppose. Forutnately folks were lined up to remind me.

How do the people calling out the people for calling out Soulfly look?

:pokey: ...you're looking bad....no, you're looking bad....
If you don't understand how immature these folks look with their posts (I assume you read them, maybe eve posted one?), then there really isn't much I can do for you. I had hoped the disappearance of a major agitator in this thread might turn it around, turn it in to the thread it was likely started to be. I forgot where I was I suppose. Forutnately folks were lined up to remind me.
It does come off as kind of desperate but what else is there to talk about until Gordon's next offense/suspension? Isn't this what Rotoworld does during the offseason?

This needs to stay on pg.1 until we hear from Soulfly.
:no:

This is the Josh Gordon thread, not the Soulfly thread. I don't know about anyone else, but when I see it on page 1, I assume that means there's some sort of new insight, news, or analysis pertaining to Josh Gordon.
New around here? The shark pool is worse than a bunch of catty women getting their nails done.
Absolute TRUTH right here!

I just keep checking this, once a day, hoping that we will finally know for sure what the story is. It reminds me of Good Will Hunting in reverse...I keep expecting one day that Josh Gordon will pick up and leave, never to be heard of again. Except instead of going off to study at Harvard or do something amazing like Will, I expect him to disappear in a bad way, failing to live up to his potential.

Why is this taking so long?

Will Hill and Jayron Hosley of the Giants got their suspensions pretty quickly

What is the hold up with the Gordon case?

I just keep checking this, once a day, hoping that we will finally know for sure what the story is. It reminds me of Good Will Hunting in reverse...I keep expecting one day that Josh Gordon will pick up and leave, never to be heard of again. Except instead of going off to study at Harvard or do something amazing like Will, I expect him to disappear in a bad way, failing to live up to his potential.
Uh, he went to see about a girl not go to Harvard. In fact, I think you need to watch that movie again.

Yenrub said:

His appeal is not schedule until the end of July. Why do people keep repeating that this is taking so long, when we normally have no idea how long the process usually takes (Gordon's failed test was leaked, when others usually aren't).

Yenrub said:

His appeal is not schedule until the end of July. Why do people keep repeating that this is taking so long, when we normally have no idea how long the process usually takes (Gordon's failed test was leaked, when others usually aren't).
I thought it was July 19th, but that's a Saturday. So what do I know...

Users who are viewing this thread