What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justin Jefferson, MIN (1 Viewer)

Averaged 107 yards per game despite the doo doo show the Vikings QB room was late in the season.
And yet the team only won two of the ten games he played in. The stats don't always tell a complete story.

Super Bowl contending teams (I'm assuming that's still the goal) just don't pay receivers $35m+/year.

I think signing him to the mega contract he "deserves" would be the real mistake.
I nailed it! See, if I were GM I could have saved everyone four months... :bowtie:

Averaged 107 yards per game despite the doo doo show the Vikings QB room was late in the season.
And yet the team only won two of the ten games he played in. The stats don't always tell a complete story.

Super Bowl contending teams (I'm assuming that's still the goal) just don't pay receivers $35m+/year.

I think signing him to the mega contract he "deserves" would be the real mistake.
I nailed it! See, if I were GM I could have saved everyone four months... :bowtie:
I feel the same way about how Miami spends their dollars at QB and WR, technically they only paid Tua $4M last year, I would argue he was a steal Year 4 of his rookie deal
Tua has already pushed back on the first offer turning it down.
Tua $55M, Tyreek $25m, Waddle $28M, not all of that are current cap hits but that is about what we are looking at when Tua signs his deal
$105M-$110M per year wrapped up in the 3 of them

Ceedee and Chase are smiling right now
Aiyuk glad he waited as well.
If Aiyuk wants Jefferson money, the 49ers should 100% trade him after this season. I like Aiyuk, but he's not on that level. To be honest, I'd probably argue Chase isn't either.

How do you think JJ will play with the new deal now .. rookie qb and all?
I think he will play well.

He had some monster games with Nick Mullens.

The Vikings may turn the ball over too much again this season but Jefferson will put up numbers.
I think it fell under the radar because of the missed games, but Jefferson played the best football of his career last season, and that's not even factoring in only having 4 games with Cousins, which were 9-150, 11-159, 7-149-1, 6-85-2.

He was on a 140-2308-13 pace last year when he went down. That pace was likely a little unsustainable, but 2,000 yards was on the table. I'd have JJ as a top-5 WR with any starting QB in the NFL throwing to him. If McCarthy is good, or even just ok, there's a shot Jefferson finishes as WR1 overall.

If Aiyuk wants Jefferson money, the 49ers should 100% trade him after this season. I like Aiyuk, but he's not on that level. To be honest, I'd probably argue Chase isn't either.
I don’t believe he does. The word I’m hearing is he’s looking for ARSB money. Which seems totally reasonable.

I don’t believe he does. The word I’m hearing is he’s looking for ARSB money. Which seems totally reasonable.
Does that seem reasonable? I like Aiyuk, but only Lamb and Hill have more catches Amon-Ra over the last 2 seasons, and Amon-Ra is also a captain and the NFLs best blocking WR.

I think Aiyuk should be more in line with the deal Nico Collins just signed, though I guess one could argue Nico took a bit of a discount to stay with Stroud.

I've also seen early reports (which are probably nonsense, but writers have to write about something) about Higgins expecting 30 or so with this JJ deal, and no team should even be entertaining that.

ETA: I really like this deal for the Vikings. I'd very much argue JJ is the most valuable non-QB in the NFL, and he's now the highest paid non-QB. Seems right to me.

Last edited:
Ceedee and Chase are smiling right now
Aiyuk glad he waited as well.

How do you think JJ will play with the new deal now .. rookie qb and all?
I think he will play well.

He had some monster games with Nick Mullens.

The Vikings may turn the ball over too much again this season but Jefferson will put up numbers.
I think it fell under the radar because of the missed games, but Jefferson played the best football of his career last season, and that's not even factoring in only having 4 games with Cousins, which were 9-150, 11-159, 7-149-1, 6-85-2.

He was on a 140-2308-13 pace last year when he went down. That pace was likely a little unsustainable, but 2,000 yards was on the table. I'd have JJ as a top-5 WR with any starting QB in the NFL throwing to him. If McCarthy is good, or even just ok, there's a shot Jefferson finishes as WR1 overall.
I don't think being better than Mullens is a huge bar for McCarthy to surpass.

Robert Tonyan has looked ok in otas so far and may be able to fill in for Hockenson until he is ready to play.

For now McCarthy is 3rd string but we will see if he can beat out Mullens and Darnold by opening week or not.

In any case Jefferson will get his regardless of the QB I think.

Does that seem reasonable? I like Aiyuk, but only Lamb and Hill have more catches Amon-Ra over the last 2 seasons, and Amon-Ra is also a captain and the NFLs best blocking WR.

I think Aiyuk should be more in line with the deal Nico Collins just signed, though I guess one could argue Nico took a bit of a discount to stay with Stroud.

I've also seen early reports (which are probably nonsense, but writers have to write about something) about Higgins expecting 30 or so with this JJ deal, and no team should even be entertaining that.

ETA: I really like this deal for the Vikings. I'd very much argue JJ is the most valuable non-QB in the NFL, and he's now the highest paid non-QB. Seems right to me.
I seem to recall someone writing yesterday that JJ is taking virtually the exact same share of the salary cap as Megatron and Fitz did. In that context at least the deal doesn't seem extremely overpriced.

I seem to recall someone writing yesterday that JJ is taking virtually the exact same share of the salary cap as Megatron and Fitz did. In that context at least the deal doesn't seem extremely overpriced.
I haven't seen the details of the deal yet, but listening to Matthew Collier talk about it yesterday it sounds like more than what Saint Brown got recently but not that much more.

With the cap going up every year it seems Jefferson likely won't be the highest paid non QB for long and this is just what top WR cost now.

All of this very manageable for the Vikings who will clear a lot of dead cap after this season.

What would he have fetched in a trade? I think I would have traded him.
:wall:

Not enough.

Why?
Team building philosophy. :shrug:
Could you expand on team building philosophy? Because in my eyes, keeping Jefferson is the right move for team building, as it didn't stop them from getting their long-term QB, they have a franchise LT, and may have gotten a franchise EDGE, and nobody would have paid what Jefferson is worth. A 25-year-old player who is the best guy at his position, I would have started with 3 1st round picks, but likely wanted quite a bit more.

I feel like if the NFL held a draft from scratch, Jefferson goes top-10.

Anyone concerned with how high his ceiling will be now that he has a legitimate guy on the other side to compete for balls as well as Hockenson and the fact its gonna take the rookie a few years to get up to Kirk Cousins' level of quarterbacking, most likely.

Is it possible he'll never reach the 1600/1800 yard seasons of years past again and while he might have a still great career, it is closer to say 95/1300/10 seasons, which obviously is amazing, but not the insanity he produced in 21/22 seasons.

Not enough.

Why?
In a league of parity superstars like Jefferson win games.

Teams should endeavor to keep their best players.

It's a sensitive subject for Vikings fans who have had Moss, Harvin and Diggs force the Vikings to trade them.

So glad Jefferson is not like that.
The Vikings have won nothing with Jefferson. I understand why fans are attached to him and why ownership would be as well. He sells tickets. Jerseys. He's a great player.

@travdogg

The Chiefs got 5 picks for Tyreek, including a 1st and 2nd, and he had big off field issues around that time. Doesn't really pay to speculate at this point, but I would have assumed much more than that, and 3 1sts from a win now team may have been a possibility. The Vikings are potentially in a good spot with the players they've added assuming J.J. is successful. I could just see them being in a better spot if they could have allocated those picks and cap space to other areas of the roster.

WR is starting to feel like a fairly easy position to find talent.

Not enough.

Why?
In a league of parity superstars like Jefferson win games.

Teams should endeavor to keep their best players.

It's a sensitive subject for Vikings fans who have had Moss, Harvin and Diggs force the Vikings to trade them.

So glad Jefferson is not like that.
The Vikings have won nothing with Jefferson. I understand why fans are attached to him and why ownership would be as well. He sells tickets. Jerseys. He's a great player.

@travdogg

The Chiefs got 5 picks for Tyreek, including a 1st and 2nd, and he had big off field issues around that time. Doesn't really pay to speculate at this point, but I would have assumed much more than that, and 3 1sts from a win now team may have been a possibility. The Vikings are potentially in a good spot with the players they've added assuming J.J. is successful. I could just see them being in a better spot if they could have allocated those picks and cap space to other areas of the roster.

Yeah I was just going to say that. For as great as he is, and as good as a QB Kirk Cousins was with them, they went to exactly one playoff game so far. And he didn't dominate it at all in any stretch of the word.

I think there’s a legit argument for not paying a top WR when you have an established stud QB not on their rookie contract (Mahomes & Allen for example.) Otherwise I think you should pay your top-tier elite guys like JJ as he greatly improves your team over question mark draft picks. People vastly overestimate how many draft picks actually hit and don’t bust. WR’s in particular bust all the time, there’s a ton of them drafted now so it seems like there are more successes, but people forget about the many busts.

How many draft picks does a team need to use to find a player like Jefferson?

I am guessing more picks than even the best offer teams would make for him.

Saying the Vikings didn't win in playoffs because of Jefferson is worse than counting team wins for a QB.

Vikings defense has been trash for most of the time Jefferson has been with the team.

You need a good/great overall team across the board to beat the best teams in the playoffs. Because that is what those teams have along with their stars/difference makers. Jefferson is one of those players that can push a team over the top and he has put the offense on his back.

I think its a truer statement that Kirk Cousins wasn't getting the Vikings to advance in the playoffs although it's not all on him either.

One.
I think about these things in a vacuum without the actual player attached to it. What's that WR worth in terms of other players? His money and what he'd bring back in return. Like WAR in baseball.
Saying the Vikings didn't win in playoffs because of Jefferson is worse than counting team wins for a QB.
Just pointing out that they haven't won with him on his rookie deal.
Vikings defense has been trash for most of the time Jefferson has been with the team.
And if they had more assets they could address it.
You need a good/great overall team across the board to beat the best teams in the playoffs. Because that is what those teams have along with their stars/difference makers. Jefferson is one of those players that can push a team over the top and he has put the offense on his back.
I don't disagree. Maybe trade him to SF for Aiyuk+ in a package or to the Bengals for one of their disgruntled WRs.
I think its a truer statement that Kirk Cousins wasn't getting the Vikings to advance in the playoffs although it's not all on him either.
I think the Vikings will be very lucky if McCarthy is even 75% of what Cousins was for them.

It wasn't Cousins or JJ that held them back. It was defensive philosophy the past few years (bend don't break.....ugh). Last year it was Cousins injury. Would they have won last year with a healthy Cousins...probably not but they would have been very scary in the playoffs for any team to face. Cousins was never a reason why they lost in the playoffs. He had a completion percentage of 71%, 687 yds, 4 TD, 1 INT combined for the three playoff games he had with them.

One.
I think about these things in a vacuum without the actual player attached to it. What's that WR worth in terms of other players? His money and what he'd bring back in return. Like WAR in baseball.
Just pointing out that they haven't won with him on his rookie deal.
And if they had more assets they could address it.
I don't disagree. Maybe trade him to SF for Aiyuk+ in a package or to the Bengals for one of their disgruntled WRs.
I think the Vikings will be very lucky if McCarthy is even 75% of what Cousins was for them.

The bust rate of 1st round WR is still very high. I havent looked at this recently but last time I did about 50% didnt do much with their careers, then you have a huge swath of WR who while productive are nowhere near as productive as Jefferson is.

So to say that the Vikings would just be able to replace Jefferson just with one pick isnt considering their actual odds to get one as good as he has been and will likely continue to be.

The Vikings were incredibly lucky to get Jefferson with the pick they got for Diggs. The likelyhood of them doing so again similar to lightning striking the same point twice but years apart.

Why would it be good for the Vikings to trade Jefferson for Aiyuk and some picks?

Yuck. I like Aiyuk but he is no Jefferson.

I happen to think at least part of Cousins high performance with the Vikings is because of Jefferson. Diggs and Thielen before him.

Nick Mullens put up good numbers with Jefferson.

McCarthy is as set up for success here as a young QB could be. So if he fails it will mostly be on him.

I wouldnt say Jefferson is completely QB proof.

Josh Dobbs didnt seem to be able to get him the ball and made throws that caused Jefferson and Hockenson to take some uneccessary hits.

Its Darnold Mullens McCarthy in that order at QB right now.

I loathe Sam Darnold. I expect many turnovers. He will get Jefferson the ball though. We know Mullens will as well. He is a poor mans Darnold.

I dont expect the Vikings to play McCarthy until they feel he is ready and the best option. So I think that baseline for Jefferson is still there with him also, but maybe he doesnt play until later in the season.

Rookie QBs usually dont do that well in their rookie seasons, and so if McCarthy starting all the games then sure perhaps a downgrade for Jefferson this season.

FWIW Mike Clay has McCarthy starting 14 games and Jefferson with 100 some receptions 1300 some yards 7 TD in 15 games. 90 yards per game.

Jeffersons career average yards per game is 98. So its not that far off.

Not enough.

@travdogg

I wanted to circle back to this, because I really dislike the logic of, "we haven't won a playoff game with this guy on the team, so we should trade him and try something else" because its a little Ricky Bobby-ish to me.

To use a comparison for a Bucs fan, its 2019, Tampa hasn't won jack with Mike Evans, let's say they trade him to the Browns (I use them because they traded for a "franchise WR" in OBJ that offseason, and we know that Baker and Evans can work) for a 1st and a 2nd. Does that help Tampa? Do they win in 2020? Does Brady even sign there if Evans is gone? I'd bet the answer is no to all 3 of those questions.

As an aside, I think every non-QB position is easy to find talent at. That's why no position other than QB really moves the needle much. Take the league's best roster and put a crap QB in there and take the league's worst roster and put an elite QB in there, and those 2 teams probably have similar amounts of success.

Not enough.

@travdogg

I wanted to circle back to this, because I really dislike the logic of, "we haven't won a playoff game with this guy on the team, so we should trade him and try something else" because its a little Ricky Bobby-ish to me.

To use a comparison for a Bucs fan, its 2019, Tampa hasn't won jack with Mike Evans, let's say they trade him to the Browns (I use them because they traded for a "franchise WR" in OBJ that offseason, and we know that Baker and Evans can work) for a 1st and a 2nd. Does that help Tampa? Do they win in 2020? Does Brady even sign there if Evans is gone? I'd bet the answer is no to all 3 of those questions.

As an aside, I think every non-QB position is easy to find talent at. That's why no position other than QB really moves the needle much. Take the league's best roster and put a crap QB in there and take the league's worst roster and put an elite QB in there, and those 2 teams probably have similar amounts of success.
It’s funny. I’ve been watching Receiver on Netflix. I like JJ, but I actually thought about this when JJ got that smirk on his face when the contact talk came up. Clearly we knows he’s getting mega paid and soon.

Mike Evans was a huge reason Tom Brady came to Tampa. He’s also a huge reason why the Bucs were able to afford Tom Brady and other great players during that run because Mike has consistently signed below market deals and/or restructured to help the team. He just did it again this year.

JJ wanted, however much deserved, and got the best deal for him. He’s the highest paid WR in the NFL. I just wonder ultimately if the alternative wouldn’t have been better for the Vikings overall. If he agreed to take the offer the Vikings gave him after his 3rd year maybe they could have signed Kirk and then used their picks on defense instead of a rookie QB?

If Mike Evans maxes his value maybe the Bucs can’t afford Mayfield or Winfield Jr. But, he didn’t, so they could, and the Bucs were able to shore up their offensive line in the draft.

NFL fans get too caught up in thinking these players actually care about rings more than money.
Too big of egos and the main measuring stick is contract money to these guys. If players didn't have the ego they would realize in many cases they could take less money to get a better team to win more which would bring in the endorsement money to bring back their total income to what it would have been anyway. But that isn't the measuring stick their ego needs.

NFL fans get too caught up in thinking these players actually care about rings more than money.
Too big of egos and the main measuring stick is contract money to these guys. If players didn't have the ego they would realize in many cases they could take less money to get a better team to win more which would bring in the endorsement money to bring back their total income to what it would have been anyway. But that isn't the measuring stick their ego needs.
Hey, a Jet's gotta Jet, right?

He’s doing ok there. He has deals with Under Armour, Angelus, Lids, Sleep Number, Little Caesars, Courtyard Hotels, Bose, Optimum Nutrition, and Campbell's Soup. My guess is also the more you get paid, the more you can ask for in a sponsorship.

If we are talking about endorsement closing the gap on like a million sure but otherwise not so much, especially if you are not a QB.While I can understand prioritizing things other then money, I absolutely would not label trying to earn your maximum pay as ego driven but more along the lines of good business, unless again we are talking something in the million or less range, maybe way less depending on the position.

I believe Odell signed the single biggest lucrative endorsement deal for an NFL player back when he won nothing. I see Jefferson about as much on commercials as any WR in the league already and they've not won anything. Kelce I believe is only non-QB in top 10 of endorsement earnings and it's estimated at $5M a year and it took him a long time to get to that point and no doubt helped out now by dating Swift.

Speaking of Jefferson I think his "Jett" persona helps him. Just makes him look cooler and have more swag. He's not the most attractive or interesing guy to listen to, if you gave him a normal haircut and clothes he's tranform from Justin "Jet"Jefferson to George Jefferson and that might hurt his endorsement more then not having post-season success.

How much does Minny's QB situation scare people away from drafting JJ high? Where do you think he should go / where does he rank compared to the Lamb/Hill/Chase/St. Brown/Brown of the world?

I’m not worried about it one bit. He performed up to his usual standard with backup QBs last season and I personally love McCarthy as an NFL QB. He was the 2nd most pro ready QB in the draft after Caleb for me. Jefferson is an absolute steal at his ADP this season. People are quick to forget he was going #1 overall last season.

He’s going to be force fed targets no matter who is at QB and he’s the best WR in the NFL at creating separation.

Users who are viewing this thread