What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ladd McConkey, LAC (1 Viewer)

This guy really dislikes McConkey. Read some of the comments section and of course watch the video for his ranking, start watch around the 9 minute mark. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA8...QA2maz6kV1pV&ab_channel=DynastyLeagueFootball
Not sure I'd classify as really dislikes, yeah down on him but my main takeaway was just thinks doesn't have ton of upside to be a #1 like someone like Coleman. Seems like a reasonable take.

(good thing about that video is it's easy to scroll to the players interested in)
I heard low upside about Kupp too.
Would you draft him over Brooks in a 14 team PPR Dynasty must start 2RB / 3WR? Needing both WR and RB.
In a vacuum, I'd personally go McConkey in PPR. But I usually lean WR.

I think there are enough concerns on Brooks: Coming off the ACL, Carolina's bad offense/bad OL (which to be fair, they took steps to upgrade everything), that I have LM above him.

That being said, RB's are always inflated in rookie drafts. If you need a RB/feel like you have a hard time acquiring RB's in your league, it may be a good time to strike. I think he'll bounce back his 2nd year.

But, you could also potentially buy low. Savvy owners know a guy is going to be a little down coming off an ACL injury. But when it's a rookie having a down season, I think people are a little more prone to panic. Though, I've thought to myself many times, I'm going to buy low on a guy if he ever dips and his owner either won't come off of him or still expects top dollar trade value.

TL;DR: I would go LM, but if you have a strong need at RB, don't think it's incorrect or bad to go Brooks.
IMHO, I wouldn't fault anyone for taking any of about 8 different names between 1.03 to 1.10 this year ahead of any or all of the others. I know I am in the minority, but I am including Odunze in that list

This guy really dislikes McConkey. Read some of the comments section and of course watch the video for his ranking, start watch around the 9 minute mark. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA8...QA2maz6kV1pV&ab_channel=DynastyLeagueFootball
Not sure I'd classify as really dislikes, yeah down on him but my main takeaway was just thinks doesn't have ton of upside to be a #1 like someone like Coleman. Seems like a reasonable take.

(good thing about that video is it's easy to scroll to the players interested in)
Would you draft him over Brooks in a 14 team PPR Dynasty must start 2RB / 3WR? Needing both WR and RB.

I think there are enough concerns on Brooks: Coming off the ACL, Carolina's bad offense/bad OL (which to be fair, they took steps to upgrade everything), that I have LM above him.

That being said, RB's are always inflated in rookie drafts. If you need a RB/feel like you have a hard time acquiring RB's in your league, it may be a good time to strike. I think he'll bounce back his 2nd year.

But, you could also potentially buy low. Savvy owners know a guy is going to be a little down coming off an ACL injury. But when it's a rookie having a down season, I think people are a little more prone to panic. Though, I've thought to myself many times, I'm going to buy low on a guy if he ever dips and his owner either won't come off of him or still expects top dollar trade value.

TL;DR: I would go LM, but if you have a strong need at RB, don't think it's incorrect or bad to go Brooks.
IMHO, I wouldn't fault anyone for taking any of about 8 different names between 1.03 to 1.10 this year ahead of any or all of the others. I know I am in the minority, but I am including Odunze in that list
Seems short sighted since he will be teaming up with the #1 overall pick as his QB. I get it for this year, but Allen is probably a 1-year rental at his cost. Doubt the Bears made these draft picks with the intent to be a run first offense. But who knows ultimately I guess?

Seems short sighted since he will be teaming up with the #1 overall pick as his QB. I get it for this year, but Allen is probably a 1-year rental at his cost. Doubt the Bears made these draft picks with the intent to be a run first offense. But who knows ultimately I guess?
People said the same thing about Lockett last year only being there a year for JSN and then he restructured. :shrug:Bears are top 10 in cap space next year too with a projected nearly $100MM available to spend. I am not saying I would do it, but I certainly wouldn't fault someone going with a few of those names ahead of Odunze (realistically I am sure he ends up at least the 1.03 in most 1QB leagues.)

IMO that is a fugly room on paper.

So your thesis is that they will be so bad at running Harbaugh will cave to the pass more than the consensus expects?

Certainly plausible.
I think Edwards is serviceable and who knows where Dobbins is at. Vidal is a dart throw. I don't think any of them are that attractive for fantasy on the surface, thus the fugly RB room reference.

IMO that is a fugly room on paper.

So your thesis is that they will be so bad at running Harbaugh will cave to the pass more than the consensus expects?

Certainly plausible.
I think Edwards is serviceable and who knows where Dobbins is at. Vidal is a dart throw. I don't think any of them are that attractive for fantasy on the surface, thus the fugly RB room reference.
Definitely wouldn't want to rely on any of them for much in FF. I don't know that you'd want to spend an initial roster spot on any them besides the ex-Ravens.

Having just picked up an orphan with the 1.02 and 2.02, I’ve started watching tape on the higher end WRs ( my other teams are in win now with no early draft picks ). Man, I’m itching to own this guy, he just looks like he has ‘it’. I’ll be hoping I can grab MHJ and Mcconkey with my two picks.

Having just picked up an orphan with the 1.02 and 2.02, I’ve started watching tape on the higher end WRs ( my other teams are in win now with no early draft picks ). Man, I’m itching to own this guy, he just looks like he has ‘it’. I’ll be hoping I can grab MHJ and Mcconkey with my two picks.
If it is SuperFlex I can see you getting MHjr at 1.02, not so sure McConkey at 2.02 in any format, but it is possible in SF. If it's start 1qb league I don't see it possible get either at those two positions.

If it is SuperFlex I can see you getting MHjr at 1.02, not so sure McConkey at 2.02 in any format, but it is possible in SF. If it's start 1qb league I don't see it possible get either at those two positions.

Yeah it’s SF. Going to resist trying to move up, can’t fall in love with players too badly. Perfectly fine with Benson, McConkey, possibly even Coleman in that range. Coleman is a risk but he COULD hit big.

I’d expect the 6 QBs to go
Bowers
3 WRs

Is 10

Then it’s 3 from Worthy, BTJ, Brooks, McConkey, Benson and maybe even Coleman and Lagette. Despite this orphan being okay at QB - Kyler/Purdy/Minshew/Levis I’d take Caleb at 1.02 if it came to it and I’d consider Penix/Nix at 2.02 as I think Penix will retain value and if Nix starts okay either could be recycled for a ‘25 1st

Yeah it’s SF. Going to resist trying to move up, can’t fall in love with players too badly. Perfectly fine with Benson, McConkey, possibly even Coleman in that range. Coleman is a risk but he COULD hit big.

I’d expect the 6 QBs to go
Bowers
3 WRs

Is 10

Then it’s 3 from Worthy, BTJ, Brooks, McConkey, Benson and maybe even Coleman and Lagette. Despite this orphan being okay at QB - Kyler/Purdy/Minshew/Levis I’d take Caleb at 1.02 if it came to it and I’d consider Penix/Nix at 2.02 as I think Penix will retain value and if Nix starts okay either could be recycled for a ‘25 1st

I just did what i would consider an expert superflex draft (all guys that take this very seriously and have been together for 30 years). McCarthy, Maye and Nix all fell into the 2nd round

I have been flip flopping this guy and Thomas. I can't make up my mind.
I just took him 1.6 in a 1QB FFPC over Thomas and Worthy.
What things led to this decision?
Some folks talking up his elite separation abilities and how that should translate to early NFL success/volume. Obvious open opportunity to be Herbert's number 1 target, and sooner rather than later.

I also own M. Brown, so the diversification away from another KC player added to it. Don't particularly love Worthy's size, and have recency bias from getting burnt by Skyy Moore in the first 2 years ago in another league.

As for passing on Thomas, it was probably a combo of relative comp for targets/touches in that Jax O, plus my overall underwhelming feelings towards that passing game (last season, from being a Ridley dynasty owner) as well.

So who's gonna be getting these 30 carries a game on this team?

Vidal
Edwards
Dobbins
Spiller

to start, I'm sure they'll add some others as injuries happen
I can't see how its not Edwards. I know he's boring but he's been productive for Roman before. He had 5 ypc every year he was in Roman's system.

Dobbins injury history is extensive and they gave him almost no money. He's a longshot to even make the team. Vidal might get worked in more as the season goes on but I'd be very surprised if he the lead guy week 1. Spiller is not good at football.

@32BeatWriters
🥁“The chemistry between Herbert and rookie receiver Ladd McConkey is continuing to blossom. McConkey has been playing mostly in the slot, and he is already proving capable of winning easily and often in short areas of the field. His route running is pro-ready. McConkey caught four passes from Herbert on Tuesday, including a third-down conversion out of the slot.”

The ONLY way this guy doesn't out perform his ADP is he gets hurt, and with his slight frame that is the main concern. Ladd's athleticism and hands are spectacular as is his route running. Watched every game he played in college and every time he was on the field he jumped off the screen. He will be WR1 with one of the most talented QB's in the league in an offense where he is the top skill player.

I read a lot of Charger stuff lately and his are always written weird.

Had a great day! 2-4 catches
Herbert is building a noticeable rapport with him- But you just said two catches for a day and doesn't he build that with everyone.

He seems to me to be part of a narrative being pushed. We're still good at WR? Rookies are exciting? Not sure exactly which but it's certainly present where I'm stuck not believing squat until camp comes and articles become more sincere.

One was something like-
He looked great. He looked the part. His explosiveness and route running were clearly as good as any long time pro.
Two paragraphs later-
Some CB had an excellent day holding McConkey to one catch on a day that they weren't contesting throws.
It's always "wait what?" pause and rethink what I just read. One catch is great? H

I understand coaches are weird and this is probably technique time. Fine fine, but how long have they been not contesting catches because I would figure no tackling and not contesting catches wrecks their fire that DBs usually play with

The ONLY way this guy doesn't out perform his ADP is he gets hurt, and with his slight frame that is the main concern. Ladd's athleticism and hands are spectacular as is his route running. Watched every game he played in college and every time he was on the field he jumped off the screen. He will be WR1 with one of the most talented QB's in the league in an offense where he is the top skill player.
Agree completely.

I think there's an easy path to him finishing as a WR3. He should slide into Keenan Allen's role. He'll be the most talented pass catcher on the roster.

If you're not following the Herbert thread: I think the FF community has gone a little over the top with the "They will run the ball so much." I assume Harbaugh wants to stick around the NFL. I think the best path to that is using the Elite QB you just got connected to. I don't think their defense, offensive line, or running back stable is good enough to run it as much as people keep implying.

Long story short, I think they'll throw the ball plenty. I'm not predicting LM gets Keenan Allen volume. But I think 120-130 something targets as a rookie is certainly on the table. And that's plenty.

Alex Insdorf
Justin Herbert on Ladd McConkey: "He's just picked up the offense so easily. It's like he's been a four or five-year vet. He understands the game, he understands leverage. He's a smart player, he's very athletic. He can beat man coverage, find the soft spot in zones."

Herbert is building a noticeable rapport with him- But you just said two catches for a day and doesn't he build that with everyone.

He seems to me to be part of a narrative being pushed. We're still good at WR? Rookies are exciting? Not sure exactly which but it's certainly present where I'm stuck not believing squat until camp comes and articles become more sincere.

One was something like-
He looked great. He looked the part. His explosiveness and route running were clearly as good as any long time pro.
Two paragraphs later-
Some CB had an excellent day holding McConkey to one catch on a day that they weren't contesting throws.
It's always "wait what?" pause and rethink what I just read. One catch is great? H

I understand coaches are weird and this is probably technique time. Fine fine, but how long have they been not contesting catches because I would figure no tackling and not contesting catches wrecks their fire that DBs usually play with

Yeah, I see what you mean. We do have to remember that contact is technically not allowed, so we have to take it all in with a huge grain of salt. We won't really know anything until the games start. But that's true any year. So many times we get a bunch of fluff in the summer only to see the player disappear in games.

Reactions: Bri

One was something like-
Two paragraphs later-

Yeah, I see what you mean. We do have to remember that contact is technically not allowed, so we have to take it all in with a huge grain of salt. We won't really know anything until the games start. But that's true any year. So many times we get a bunch of fluff in the summer only to see the player disappear in games.
Do tell………

Tex

Got him at 1.10 in a PPR dynasty league. :pickle: My goodness my WR room is filthy- Jefferson, Harrison Jr, McLaurin, Addison, Evans, Jameson Williams, McConkey, Diontae Johnson, Jeudy, Doubs :drive:

Poor man's Keenan Allen right out of the gate. IMO only question is if he can stay healthy. If he does, IMO he will finish as a borderline low end fantasy WR2 / top end fantasy WR3.

Got him at 1.10 in a PPR dynasty league. :pickle: My goodness my WR room is filthy- Jefferson, Harrison Jr, McLaurin, Addison, Evans, Jameson Williams, McConkey, Diontae Johnson, Jeudy, Doubs :drive:
Nice. Surprised he fell that far. I have him 6th in rookie ranks and could see an argument as high as 3rd.

Poor man's Keenan Allen right out of the gate. IMO only question is if he can stay healthy. If he does, IMO he will finish as a borderline low end fantasy WR2 / top end fantasy WR3.
hard to say for sure. but based on what I've seen the team seems determined to give him a shot at being a starter out of the gate.

for me the only question is where he fits in. WR2/3? and then move up/down based on performance in that role?

hard to say for sure. but based on what I've seen the team seems determined to give him a shot at being a starter out of the gate.

for me the only question is where he fits in. WR2/3? and then move up/down based on performance in that role?
In college Played majority of snaps on the outside much more than in the slot. If he is as good as some think, has potential to be moved interchangeably and on the field most of the time in either role.
Main concern that has been expressed is if he can remain reasonably healthy.

Excluding Tyreek, who did not play WR in college, there is no WR last year who finished in the top 50 in PPR scoring whose best college season they did not crack a minimum 12 PPR PPG.

McConkey's best was 11.7.

There are several who barely cracked 12 PPG so he's close and this is not meant to be some end all be all stat, and please miss me with the reasons why because I've heard them, but it's not a non factor to me for many reasons.

He's got the second highest drop rate of at least any WR drafted in the first two rounds this year, maybe more but I stopped checking after that.

Personally if they try and put him outside I view him as a faster but on the whole inferior version of Diontae Johnson.

He does have potential in his play style to be a trusted high volume slot but that's tough in what I project as a lower passing volume offense.

He's ok to me, solid floor, for sure not into jumping on this hype train.

Excluding Tyreek, who did not play WR in college, there is no WR last year who finished in the top 50 in PPR scoring whose best college season they did not crack a minimum 12 PPR PPG.

There are several who barely cracked 12 PPG so he's close and this is not meant to be some end all be all stat, and please miss me with the reasons why because I've heard them, but it's not a non factor to me for many reasons.

He's got the second highest drop rate of at least any WR drafted in the first two rounds this year, maybe more but I stopped checking after that.

Personally if they try and put him outside I view him as a faster but on the whole inferior version of Diontae Johnson.

He does have potential in his play style to be a trusted high volume slot but that's tough in what I project as a lower passing volume offense.

I’m probably a little higher on him than you but not by much. He was on my green light list (ended up with one share) though because I have high confidence he’s going to hit in some capacity with a sizeable workload out of the gate. I’ll be watching closely early in the season for course correction but right now I view him as a guy whose value won’t diminish in the short term and could well improve quite a bit, which describes a player I can sell midseason to a struggling team for a starting RB or vet WR or some such. I lean your way wondering about his ceiling but the opportunity for targets couldn’t be more wide open even with their expected offensive approach.

I ended up with a tier of BTJ/Worthy/Ladd with totally different reasons for each. BTJ as the best long term career but patience required. Worthy as a year to year proposition but really like his year 1 situation. And Ladd as a short term trade piece.

IMO it helps that he enters a WR group that consists of:
  • 2023 first round disappointment Johnston; I think he could improve but also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't, in which case he may get dropped pretty low on the depth chart
  • 2025 UFA Palmer, who has played fine, but from the previous regime and probably not a long term solution
  • 2024 UFA Chark, signed to a 1 year low price deal with incentives... likely not a long term solution and possibly signed as Johnston insurance
  • 2024 2nd year player Davis, who was drafted by the previous regime to be a returner and barely played on offense
  • 2024 rookie Rice, a 7th round draft pick
  • 2024 rookie Johnson, a 7th round draft pick
And there are no apparent compelling pass catching RBs or TEs.

Given that group, if McConkey stays healthy in 2024, he could finish anywhere in the top 3 in targets on the team, including #1. Like you, I expect a smaller receiving pie for the Chargers this year, but he could still have a big piece of that smaller pie.

Long term, IMO he is ideally suited to be a WR2, not WR1. And the WR1 may not be on the team right now, depending on whether or not Johnston ultimately fulfills his potential.

It concerns me that he couldn't stay healthy in college.

I'm passing on him for other options in most formats....he doesn't slide at all and ADP is probably only going to get worse.

I'd much rather have several rookie WRs going after him.

It concerns me that he couldn't stay healthy in college.

I'm passing on him for other options in most formats....he doesn't slide at all and ADP is probably only going to get worse.

I'd much rather have several rookie WRs going after him.
Which rookie WRs going after him would you rather have?

I ended up with a tier of BTJ/Worthy/Ladd with totally different reasons for each. BTJ as the best long term career but patience required. Worthy as a year to year proposition but really like his year 1 situation. And Ladd as a short term trade piece.
I got a tier of players in the 7-10 range which includes Ladd and Worthy. If I absolutely had to rank them I'd probably have Ladd at 8 and Worthy at 9.

When I put it that way I'm on par with consensus rankings on Ladd and a a little under on Worthy. I think more then anything for me is I found myself not as fond as the back half of round one as most. I like Worthy and Ladd's floors, it's easy to see what both do well and it's translateable, I have doubts about both of their upside. I probably should try and adopt your mindset more of looking at trade value because I think you are right on these players likely only increasing their value. I tend to think this way with my later picks, with my first round pick or two I tend to get locked into actually trying to identify long term keeper/foundation pieces more then shorter term trade assets. My line of thinking could probably stand a little next level to it.

I actuallly like Worthy more longer term then short, with the exception of the games Rice is likely out, which might align perfectly with your philshopy of having a window were the value is high.I just think when everone is healthy and not suspended he'll be the #4 option in the passing game and while Mahomes will spread it around I can't recall when the third option was someone other then a flier. Obvously Rice timeframe is unknown, but Worthy would probably get my recommendation as the most overly high drafted rookie right now.

I love me some BTJ, but agree patience is likely required and he does have some metrics and traits that have been strong indicators in the past of busts so I can get behind an argument he has a lower floor but he's been at worst a top 6 player for me in this class since January. Still he's going like a round after Worthy in redrafts, like your boy Rome, and I'd rather have both of them then Worthy which is part of why I feel like Worthy is getting drafted way to high in redrafts. This take may not hold up when Rice is out very well.

2025 UFA Palmer, who has played fine, but from the previous regime and probably not a long term solution
I know from talks last year I'm a little higher on Palmer then you, believe he'll be the top option this year but I'm not trying to make some case he's elite or part of the long term solution either, though I think he could be resigned.

Given that group, if McConkey stays healthy in 2024, he could finish anywhere in the top 3 in targets on the team, including #1
Agree with all of this and honestly if he's not top 3 in targets due to health I think something went wrong, I'd actually predict second, and if I had to rank them in expected order I'd start with second, and go first with my next guess.

For all those high on Ladd McConkey this year, I bet this guy is higher on him...

Crazy or not, I love when the staff members plant their flags!
Whoa…
Matt Waldman has done quite well in predicting breakouts from unexpected places too. Wasnt he the guy who called that Kyren williams would be a player? (it was either him or Puka, I know he called one of them)
but there are other examples too. I've seen. just dont remember the names off the top of my head.

while his heath has concerned me, hes also young. and fell into what might be the best possible situation to fall into as a rookie WR this year. Easy path to a starting role if he performs early. QB who throws the ball a lot. While the run game may take a bigger role in the new offense, the top 2 WR's were let go in the offseason so his stats as a rookie could impress.

I dont draft for a while, but the injuries he had can and do keep a person off the field for a while, but once recovered shouldnt be a major issue going forward. so I am cautiously optimistic that he can play healthy this year. I dont know that I draft him top 10. how you think a guy will produce isnt the same as where you should draft them. his ADP is in the 105-110 range. in a 10 team draft that's round 10 or 11. in a 12 teamer thats around round 9. so if you really wanna get him, target him the round before his ADP. thats when you take him and if he gives you the production Waldman predicts, you have maximized your return for the guy.

I dont draft for a while, but the injuries he had can and do keep a person off the field for a while, but once recovered shouldnt be a major issue going forward. so I am cautiously optimistic that he can play healthy this year. I dont know that I draft him top 10. how you think a guy will produce isnt the same as where you should draft them. his ADP is in the 105-110 range. in a 10 team draft that's round 10 or 11. in a 12 teamer thats around round 9. so if you really wanna get him, target him the round before his ADP. thats when you take him and if he gives you the production Waldman predicts, you have maximized your return for the guy.
I would gladly shoot for him in the 9th in a 12-team redraft. That way you have your QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, and 2 flex spots covered.

Users who are viewing this thread