What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. - SEA (5 Viewers)

Injuries are something we can't predict, so it's foolhardy to do so IMO.  However, and I'm not saying Shenault falls into this category, but some players sit at the slightest pain.
He doesn’t play like a player who is adverse to pain.

“But it’s pain, it’s just pain, that’s all it is.” While that was wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr.’s answer to the media after their 16-13 win over the Stanford Cardinal in November, it’s been his credo since July 17, 2009. It was on this day that his father, Laviska, lost his life.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of college football but after having listened to Waldman and others about him, and watched him a bit, I'd say the biggest downside risks to I'm are:

• His aggressive running after the catch style may lead to more contact and thus more injuries (I see that different that the less tangible "injury prone" label) as this can be adjusted/corrected with how he plays on the field.
  • If the Jaguars relegate him to a gadget role.  I'd note that given the sorter camp for rookies, we may see a lot of that this year but that doesn't mean they won't open up his role on the team in year 2.

I'm admittedly looking for the positive here, as I just missed Mims in my draft so took him at 2.07, but Shenault was talked about as one of the top couple of WRs after his sophomore year.  He was fighting injuries (and a terrible offense) in junior and now seems all but forgot in the dynasty community.

I get injury concerns (although his injuries don't seem to be repeated identical injuries which would be more concerning to me) but he seems to be the same player he was a year ago which is a player that is a better WR than billed and more than a gadded player IF (big if) the Jaguars allow him to be so. :unsure:
I think Sheanult is quite a bit better of a prospect than Mims, both talent wise and situation wise. 

We hold our dynasty draft shortly after the NFL draft. I had every intention of grabbing this guy 14th overall but Reagor was still available there so I couldn't pass him up, even though I debated it. I was ecstatic to still land Laviska with the 24th overall selection. 

Jaguars' Laviska Shenault 'has caught nearly every pass thrown to him'

According to John Reid, Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Laviska Shenault "showed he could fight through press coverage and run precise routes on either side of the field" during live training camp drills. 

WHAT IT MEANS:

After lining up all over the field including on the outside and in the slot, Shenault has impressed many of his teammates including Gardner Minshew. "Laviska is a freak, man. I knew it when we played him at Colorado," said the Jaguars' starting quarterback when asked about the rookie's talent. "He’s a lot better route runner, a lot better at catching the ball than I even expected." 

With Dede Westbrook dealing with a shoulder injury. it's possible Shenault could have an immediate opportunity to move up the Jaguars' depth chart after his impressive training camp performance. For his first NFL season, our models project Shenault to haul in 32.8 receptions for 403.7 yards and 2.2 touchdowns on 57.9 targets. 

What an unbelievable class of WR that this is just another guy. Unfortunately I didn’t draft in spots to take him, but I do like him and expect he’ll be a great compliment to Chark. 

Jaguars’ Receivers Coach Drops Lofty Comparisons for Rookie Laviska Shenault

Excerpt:

But perhaps the most notable piece of praise came from Shenault's own position coach, former NFL Pro Bowl receiver Keenan McCardell. 

McCardell played in the NFL for over 15 seasons and has been a receivers coach in either college football or the NFL for six of the last seven seasons. To say is a wealth of knowledge at the receiver position is an understatement -- which makes what he said about Shenault during a Sunday video press conference even more notable.

“I see a lot of power—strong runner after the catch. You know, he reminds me a little bit of Anquan Boldin after the catch, the way he gets in and out, the way he breaks his tackles, on film I saw that." McCardell said. 

Considering the career Boldin carved out for himself, the Jaguars would likely be thrilled to see their latest second-round pick develop into that caliber of weapon in the passing game. In 14 seasons, Boldin caught 1,076 passes for 13,779 yards and 82 touchdowns, forming one of the best wide receiver duos in recent eras with Arizona Cardinals teammate Larry Fitzgerald.

But McCardell didn't stop there. Now that he has seen Shenault in person, he has a better feel for his speed, strength, explosion and more, which led him to make a second comparison in terms of his power.

"Now, being up close with him, he has that power of Andre Johnson," McCardell said. 

"You know, I hold Andre in high regards, that’s my guy, we’re good friends. But I’ve also seen him [Shenault] work every day. I see the power that he has, he kind of reminds me a little bit of Andre, he has that type of power. And I don’t want to put those shoes out there for him because those are some huge shoes to fill, but you know, he has that type of body type."

While McCardell isn't saying Shenault is an exact match to either Boldin or Johnson, who caught 1,012 career receptions for 13,597 yards and 64 touchdowns in his career, it does show how physically gifted Shenault is. He has a rare blend of size, speed, agility, explosion and strength, making him almost like a blend of a receiver, tight end and running back. He is a truly unique player, so it may not be much of a stretch to say he has traits similar to those of past great receivers with similar frames.

"I mean, I’m looking forward to seeing this kid play. I recruited him when I was at Maryland. I know who he is, I know where he comes from, I know what type of football player he is, it means a lot to him," McCardell said. "You know, he’s kind of quiet, but you know, it means a lot to him and I appreciate that.”

Jaguars rookie WR Laviska Shenault caught 3-of-4 targets for 37 yards and one score, additionally getting two carries for 10 yards in Jacksonville's Week 1 upset over the Colts.

With Dede Westbrook healthy-scratched on Sunday, Shenault got the start in between D.J. Chark (3/25/1) and Keelan Cole (5/47/1). Despite the limited number of targets, the Jaguars treated Shenault as advertised, manufacturing his touches in Wildcat formations deep inside red zone territory. His rushing floor coupled with his concerted touches and athleticism should keep the rookie alive as a weekly FLEX option, including for Jacksonville's next matchup against the Titans.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Shenault played well and was productive. Not sure if he's proven to be a bona fide starter for FF yet until we see some consistency, or if pass distribution will remain so distributed, but great start in his first game, and worth a shot on a wire for depth/flex consideration.

Shenault played well and was productive. Not sure if he's proven to be a bona fide starter for FF yet until we see some consistency, or if pass distribution will remain so distributed, but great start in his first game, and worth a shot on a wire for depth/flex consideration.
I'd worry about the number of receptions, not looking like a high volume pass offense. But, yes, definitely worth a look. 

I'd worry about the number of receptions, not looking like a high volume pass offense. But, yes, definitely worth a look. 
I think it's very important to note the Jags didn't even have 50 snaps on offense yesterday. That isn't gonna be the norm. I'm adding him in redraft now and while I'd rather wait until after it happens to start in dynasty if Golladay is out again my hand may be forced. And as of today I'm okay with it. 

:lol:

Boldin had 10 catches and 217 yards in his first game. Both rookie records.

Shenault had 4 targets yesterday.

PUMP. THE. BREAKS.
My 1st lions game:) interestingly enough, I went to a number of games in the Millen era, 2 a year. Record of 7-1 when I attended. I didn’t go to any games and they went 0-16. Maybe I should start a go fund me for season tix...

Actually starting him this weekend for injured AJ Brown.  For reference that's over Anthony Miller (needs more snaps) and Brandin Cooks (vs Balt).

:football:

Laviska Shenault caught 3-of-4 targets for 35 yards and had five carries for 37 yards in Week 2 against the Titans.

It's another high-volume game for Shenault, who had five touches and a score in his debut. Shenault was used as a change-up to workhorse James Robinson and rotated in three and four-wide sets. It's going to be hard for Shenault to maintain much of a role behind Robinson, but his usage is trending up.

- Rotoworld

As a Chark owner... what does one do?  This guy is on my waivers but I can’t justify him charm and Robinson. 

Picked him up to serve as my Wr5, (6 once Deebo is back) on the bench behind Reagor. Now with Reagor and Chark out the kid draws the start. He was 57% and 62% of the snaps with Chark in the low 80s and Cole getting 66% from the slot I believe. Viska should bump up to 75-80% of the snaps you’d think.

I used the 2.09 rookie pick on him.
Oh and 2.11 of a 16 teamer.  Had 2.5 and was debating between him, Tua, and Gibson and went Tua because qb was a bigger need.  Gibson went 2.6.

Super intrigued by him, tempted to drop Edmonds or Akers for him.  I'm in a 10 team keep 3 league so there are considerations in finding that next hidden gem.  Problem is I'm sitting on a bunch of lotto tickets lol -  Edmonds, Akers, Dobbins, Gibson.  Anyway, hate to miss out on this guy.

Having chark and Robinson, i think I would have to drop chark for him. I am in need of a WR. but can’t justify all three. 

As a chark owner, I feel I am hanging on to last years stats and being blind to what Shenault is or will be this year. 

Users who are viewing this thread