What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Some of you guys have had Thomas on your squads, so you know. For the others ...

When this injury first happened, it was reported as a mild ankle turn. Didn't even think he's miss a game -- just skip a few practices and he's be right back to 100%.

He missed the next seven weeks (six games and a bye). Then probably came back too soon.

I planned to RFA tender him in an  IDP contract/salary cap dynasty league, but now will have to monitor and think about it some more.  2yrs and the ankle's still not right....doesn't pass the smell test at all.  The 1st round tender price is actually well below his salary from last year (I inherited him when I picked up the orphan roster 3years ago). Got til mid June to make a decision, so I guess I'll be scouring the Saints innerwebs for the next few weeks.

Picking 7th in our rookie draft in July so maybe Olave will be an option ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I planned to RFA tender him in an  IDP contract/salary cap dynasty league, but now will have to monitor and think about it some more.  2yrs and the ankle's still not right....doesn't pass the smell test at all.  The 1st round tender price is actually well below his salary from last year (I inherited him when I picked up the orphan roster 3years ago). Got til mid June to make a decision, so I guess I'll be scouring the Saints innerwebs for the next few weeks.

Picking 7th in our rookie draft in July so maybe Olave will be an option ? :)

I also had Thomas in a 14-team IDP contract/salary league. His contract was up, and he was an RFA. Under our rules, you can franchise tag someone, and, if anyone bids on him, you could elect to let the player go for a 2022 and '23 1st-rounder. I applied the franchise tag to Thomas. Had I kept him, he would have accounted for more than 10 percent of my total salary cap. I let everyone know I would let Thomas go for less than the required compensation if anyone wanted to bid on him. I got someone to take him off my hands for a '23 1st, and the other guy got Thomas at the minimum salary of $1. 

TL;DR: I traded Thomas for a '23 1st.

I also had Thomas in a 14-team IDP contract/salary league. His contract was up, and he was an RFA. Under our rules, you can franchise tag someone, and, if anyone bids on him, you could elect to let the player go for a 2022 and '23 1st-rounder. I applied the franchise tag to Thomas. Had I kept him, he would have accounted for more than 10 percent of my total salary cap. I let everyone know I would let Thomas go for less than the required compensation if anyone wanted to bid on him. I got someone to take him off my hands for a '23 1st, and the other guy got Thomas at the minimum salary of $1. 

TL;DR: I traded Thomas for a '23 1st.
Seems like a safe/smart move. 

It's not going to be easy in a league full of Saints fans .. but I am going to try to acquire him cheap-ish in our long-standing Keep-6 league.
It’s risk/reward both ways.

Might be easier in a league of Saints fans. Information is dangerous…it can spook people.

The questions is how much is worth the risk? 2nd? 1st? 

The first year his salary was $180+-crazy high, but I had the cap space and he was still 'Michael Thomas' in my mind.  Last year, with covid and his injured reserve status his $194 salary only counted $97 with our IR rules.  Outta sight and outta mind and I made the playoffs with him not playing at all.  This year leaves me with a tough decision.  Hearing about him still not being able to practice is 'no bueno' imo. 

1st round tender is around 100 and 3rd is around 70, so I have some decisions to make.  There's also a 5th round tender, but I'm sure someone would jump on that for sure. 

NewOrleans.football's Nick Underhill believes Michael Thomas is "heading in the right direction" in his recovery from an ankle injury. 

Thomas has missed most of the past two seasons -- including all of 2021 -- with an ankle injury he picked up in Week 1 of 2020. Thomas has had multiple surgeries on the ankle and is reportedly not ready to join the team in spring practices. Saints coaches have met with Thomas this offseason and don't seem intent on rushing Thomas back to the field. Underhill said he won't be concerned about Thomas' regular season status unless he's not ready for Saints training camp in July. Thomas will be a risky fantasy pick until we know more about his recovery and availability. A regular season absence for Thomas would be a target boon for Jarvis Landry and Chris Olave. 

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter 

May 27, 2022, 12:37 PM ET

Missed the last two seasons.

Multiple surgeries on the ankle.

Still not ready in June of 2022.

Only rostered due to contract adjustments to keep team out of cap hell.

Team drafted WR Chris Olave in 1st round.

Signed Jarvis Landry recently.

Occam's Razor.

He's done.
I own him in two of 4 leagues. Don't want this to be true. Pretty sure it is.

Yeah, 2 leagues for me, have quietly been preparing to be w/o him. If I had to guess I'd put it at 20-25% he comes back with any effectiveness.  Had a good, though fairly short run. 

Occam's Razor.

He's done.
Done may be too harsh but assuming he comes back  Im certainly not expecting anything close to his past history -low #2/ high #3 WR production is at least something.  

Owned him 2 leagues previously, until 2019, and my propensity to trade players immediately after career years definitely paid off in this case.

Hate to see good players go down to injury, but a supposed simple ankle injury that basically lasts 2 years and with reports that he still isn't quite ready doesn't bode well for the future.

simple ankle injury that basically lasts 2 years and with reports that he still isn't quite ready doesn't bode well for the future.
Where are you getting this?  I was a dreaded high ankle sprain and he was definitely brought back way too quickly. 

Where are you getting this?  I was a dreaded high ankle sprain and he was definitely brought back way too quickly. 
More of a generalization I guess. But I believe original reports after the initial injury were that it would only be a few week injury. And yes he obviously came back too early and obviously reinjured the ankle to a much more serious extent that has never been fully revealed by the Saints.

Leroy's Aces said:

Occam's Razor.

He's done.
I mean, it’s possible. More likely he comes back, but with legit concern he isn’t what he was and/or is a shell of his pro bowl form.

Just keepin it real - he’s 2 years older, and had a significant lower leg injury - so it’s hard to imagine he’s been running at all.

Without going so far as to say he’s done, I do believe it’s fair to wonder what he’ll be for FF shareholders at 29 years old coming off of this injury/absence, without Brees, and with more competition for receptions than he’s had in the past. 

It’s difficult to feel Optimistic about him headed into 2022. 

Kiddnets said:
Done may be too harsh but assuming he comes back  Im certainly not expecting anything close to his past history -low #2/ high #3 WR production is at least something.  
Yeah, that’s where I’m thinking - his heyday may well be a thing of the past. He’s one of those “if he comes back he could dominate” guys in some people’s minds. And if I had shares of MT I’d be scouring my league to find those minds and try to extract as much value from them as possible for him right now. 

I mean, it’s possible. More likely he comes back, but with legit concern he isn’t what he was and/or is a shell of his pro bowl form.

Just keepin it real - he’s 2 years older, and had a significant lower leg injury - so it’s hard to imagine he’s been running at all.

Without going so far as to say he’s done, I do believe it’s fair to wonder what he’ll be for FF shareholders at 29 years old coming off of this injury/absence, without Brees, and with more competition for receptions than he’s had in the past. 

It’s difficult to feel Optimistic about him headed into 2022. 

This can't be undersold either. I have little doubt that a HOF quarterback deserves a little credit for his success.

This can't be undersold either. I have little doubt that a HOF quarterback deserves a little credit for his success.

Fair to even say “more than a little”, considering how talented Brees was, and how much he loved targeting MT. 
I think I've said this a million times in this thread but please check out his 9 game log with Taysom and Teddy. If you can make it with them, especially Taysom,  you can make it with anyone. He's as QB proof as any WR in the league.

Sadly I'm not sure the ankle will ever be healthy enough to prove this point to people who keep thinking he needs Brees.

I think I've said this a million times in this thread but please check out his 9 game log with Taysom and Teddy. If you can make it with them, especially Taysom,  you can make it with anyone. He's as QB proof as any WR in the league.

Sadly I'm not sure the ankle will ever be healthy enough to prove this point to people who keep thinking he needs Brees.
Didn't Kamara miss some of those games too? Just going from memory.

But yes, great WR, just better with Brees in my opinion.

Oh I’m not saying it was all Brees - but for sure Brees peppered him, and also of importance, moved the chains consistently & played winning team football.

More drives = more opportunities for MT.

My thoughts about Brees weren’t exclusive to MT’s success. More about the Saints having Brees, which elevates the entire team.

Winston (or Taysom) may not have as much success sustaining that offense, which could be a limiting factor. Plus age & the ankle, and loss of Sean Payton. 

When reading the post you commented on I immediately thought of those posts showing how well MT did without Brees.  I just thought I guess this conversation needs to happen again to remind people.

I'll take your money.  It's easy to see who took him early last year and haven't gotten over an injury that players can't come back from.  I admittedly am a Saints fan, but I'm sitting next to an Eagles fan  and a Cowboys fan who laughed at your statement.  So a WR1 who is in a Sean Payton offense won't surpass those #'s?  You're delusional.

I highly doubt he’ll get within 20% of his peak numbers ever again in his career, and his current valuation reflects that. 

If you think otherwise, now’s a fantastic time to buy. 

@menobrownGentlemen’s wager. He’ll never again surpass his rookie numbers 92/1137/9
Stealing money

Didn't Kamara miss some of those games too? Just going from memory.

But yes, great WR, just better with Brees in my opinion.
Only 2 of those games, weeks 7 & 8 of 2019. MT got 11 targets in each of those two games. He got 12 and 13 targets the two games prior to that with Kamara in the line-up and Brees out.

Leroy's Aces said:

Occam's Razor.

He's done.
I share Leroy’s opinion here. 

all signs point to him never having the relevance both in real football as well as fantasy. Too many factors going against him to ever dominate like he did with Brees. I’ve done very well acquiring him and trading him and then again in the one dynasty league I have had him in but I won’t be repeating that cycle a third time I think he can come back and play but most likely not dominate like he did 

I think that a lot of folks are going to draft him highly based on what he was and catching passes from Drew Brees. I don’t plan on being one of those folks - would rather have Olave at a lower price point. 

I'd take anything resembling early 2nd round value (dynasty) or better for him. He's aging, long injury history, been out of football for the better part of two years, massive attitude, etc. Get what you can for him before you end up holding the bag. Injuries suck. 

Speaking at OTAs, Saints coach Dennis Allen said that WR Michael Thomas is "doubtful" to participate in next week's minicamp.

While a late May report had Thomas "heading in the right direction," we still haven't seen him on the football field. It looks more and more likely that we won't get any clarity on Thomas' health until training camp after he missed the entirety of last season. If for whatever reason Thomas wasn't ready to play right away, it would be a small boost for Chris Olave and Jarvis Landry in fantasy.

SOURCE: Amie Just on Twitter

Jun 9, 2022, 2:08 PM ET

Not giving up on him by any means but man is it concerning that after missing an entire year when he was supposed to return at some point and he's still not healthy enough to get on the field.  

Not giving up on him by any means but man is it concerning that after missing an entire year when he was supposed to return at some point and he's still not healthy enough to get on the field.  
Even if he does get back on the field he won't command the target share he once did.  His ADP is too high and even if it was 12 spots lower (in the 30s) I would avoid.  So, with questions about health, Olave, Landry, questions about his QB and ADP, no thanks.

Even if he does get back on the field he won't command the target share he once did.  His ADP is too high and even if it was 12 spots lower (in the 30s) I would avoid.  So, with questions about health, Olave, Landry, questions about his QB and ADP, no thanks.
Yes - he's pretty much a DND in redraft for me - unless he has some quick turnaround and shows something in the pre-season.

He's still not off the board in my 12 team PPR Best Ball SF Dynasty league in the 12th round. At that point he's worth the gamble I'd say. 

Michael Thomas (ankle) was spotted running routes in a video posted to his Instagram feed.

Thomas' recovery from an ankle injury that he first suffered in 2020 has been a hot topic this offseason. The seventh-year vet has appeared in just seven games since 2020 and missed all of 2021. Thomas' recovery is "heading in the right direction" according to a beat report from May, but his video on Friday was an encouraging sign. Thomas appeared to be running without limitations, flashing a handful of routes in the 31-second clip. With his status very much in question this offseason, the doubt surrounding Thomas has been baked into his ADP -- he's currently going in the seventh round of fantasy drafts. A strong showing ahead of the season will undoubtedly raise the price tag of one of the league's best PPR receivers.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Jul 2, 2022, 5:02 PM ET

He's still not off the board in my 12 team PPR Best Ball SF Dynasty league in the 12th round. At that point he's worth the gamble I'd say. 
I don't think it's a bad gamble.  

But I thought he was worth it in like the 8th/9th round last year.  I won't be surprised if he somehow doesn't play again.  He's been out of football for basically 2 years.  Honestly the guy has been such a headache, part of me would rather just not eat the roster spot hoping for the best.  

I guess this will be much clearer come training camp time.

I have a shot at him in a dynasty/contract league...I think I'm going to take a shot here. for about 5% of my cap space.

Jarvis Landry has led his team in receptions every season in his 8 year career.  Only 2 WR's have more catches than him since he joined the league (DeAndre & Julio).  He is being overlooked by the ghost of WR past and the ghost of WR future.

Users who are viewing this thread