What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (2 Viewers)

With so many people calling him a young VJAX, it just makes me question the 1.02 rookie pick even more.

VJAX is great and he's fun to have on a fantasy team but for the vast majority of his career he has been a completely feast or famine player that relied heavily on having a QB who threw as pretty a deep ball as there is in the NFL and a HOF TE that sucked the "bottom" of the coverage in.

So, are we going to pick a player at 1.02 based on the likelihood that he is going to be very up and down for a few years, at best? I don't know if there is an obvious better choice but I think if I had the pick, I'd use it as trade leverage rather than picking the player. To me, this is a very different scenario than when you think you are landing a Demaryius Thomas, SHady McCoy, etc. I think you are very much more risking a long waiting period.

With so many people calling him a young VJAX, it just makes me question the 1.02 rookie pick even more.

VJAX is great and he's fun to have on a fantasy team but for the vast majority of his career he has been a completely feast or famine player that relied heavily on having a QB who threw as pretty a deep ball as there is in the NFL and a HOF TE that sucked the "bottom" of the coverage in.

So, are we going to pick a player at 1.02 based on the likelihood that he is going to be very up and down for a few years, at best? I don't know if there is an obvious better choice but I think if I had the pick, I'd use it as trade leverage rather than picking the player. To me, this is a very different scenario than when you think you are landing a Demaryius Thomas, SHady McCoy, etc. I think you are very much more risking a long waiting period.
When some one compares him to Vincent Jackson, I'd venture to guess they are talking about his skillset, physical traits and "game", not that he'll necessarily be a complete clone of Jackson complete with an extended learning curve. Jackson was a small school product while Evans is coming from the SEC.

VJax did fine his first year on TB and recorded his highest YPR in his career (not including his Rookie season where he barely played) in a new offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of completions here not on broken plays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv42QuJGOE4

He wins jump balls, fights for extra yardage, catches the ball beautifully with his hands, and looks like he can be used in a variety of ways (slot, WR screens, full route tree, etc.). I expect someone to jump in front of Tampa to draft him at #6.

Evans also caught a lot of passes with DBs draped all over him. These weren't NFL corners but they were SEC corners, so they aren't slouches. That's what intrigues me, is that he is always potentially open because of his height catch radius, hands, and ability to body a DB out (as per basketball). Is Evans a little stiff? Sure, but I don't think he's quite as stiff as people think; he's lanky and angular so his movements won't look as efficient as someone more proportionally built. But I think his game will be winning contested balls, and that's an awfully marketable NFL skill.

Rotoworld:

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the Steelers will draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans if he's there at No. 15 overall.
"Believe me, if Mike Evans is available, they will draft him," writes Gerry Dulac. "But they do not expect him to be there at 15." We don't expect Evans to be available in the middle of the first round, either, but the Steelers could feel the need to jump up for the mammoth receiver. The Steelers own nine picks in next week's draft and would likely have to climb at least eight spots to get Evans.

Related: Steelers

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh would be a great fit for Evans. I can't think of a better fit for him really. I hope that happens but I don't see him falling that far either.

I'm starting to come around on Evans even at the #2 spot as he's starting to grow on me.

Tex

College football seems to produce tons of #2 WRs lately and I love most of em'. Evans' size and fight for the ball give him a very good chance at being a solid #1 in the NFL. No doubt Green and Calvin have some pretty moves and sweet grabs, but most of the time it's about catching a ball when they're covered. Few WRs can do that in each draft and those that can have become big stars real quick in the NFL.

Can't imagine how ecstatic I'd be if he landed with the Giants, but there's no way he falls to 12, let alone 15. There are a lot of teams that could use a younger, more promising VJax.

Rotoworld:

According to CBS' Dane Brugler, there's a "real possibility" the Browns select Texas A&M WR Mike Evans at No. 4 overall.
Cleveland is where Rotoworld's Josh Norris has Evans landing in his latest mock draft. For need, it would be a reach for a team with Josh Gordon, but it's possible Evans is among the Browns' top-four players. Gordon and Evans would be a lethal combination, but the Browns would need someone to throw them the ball.

Related: Browns

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Can't imagine how ecstatic I'd be if he landed with the Giants, but there's no way he falls to 12, let alone 15. There are a lot of teams that could use a younger, more promising VJax.
How is he more promising than VJax? Vjax would be his ceiling IMO.

He's got a good chance of being a lot better red zone target than Vjax. He doesn't have Vjax's suddenness but he's more physical. I don't really like the comp they are different players.

VJax has a stronger trunk and he actually has some lateral quickness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Jackson

One of the few true freshman to ever play for Northern Colorado, Jackson earned All-American honors as a punt returner, scoring the first time he ever touched a ball on a punt return against Adams State College. He rewrote the record books on the way to becoming Northern Colorado's all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards (game & season), kick return yards, punt return yards, receiving touchdowns.
Lower level of competition aside, he was an accomplished all-purpose athlete.

Mike Evans returning punts would be an ugly sight.

How is he more promising than VJax? Vjax would be his ceiling IMO.
I'm going off of what I've read from a lot of the "experts". Also, I was referring to VJax when he was coming into the league. Mike Evans appears to be more of a sure thing since he came from tougher competition. I'm not saying he will end up surpassing VJax's career. I doubt he will. I'm just saying that if they were in the same draft, Evans would be drafted earlier.

2014 NFL Draft: Mike Evans in play for Browns at No. 4

By Derek Harper | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

The Cleveland Browns have long been a wild card in the early stages of the 2014 NFL Draft as holders of the No. 4 overall pick. Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has often been linked to the Browns, but another name to keep a close eye on is former Aggies teammate wide receiver Mike Evans.

Even if Clemson's Sammy Watkins, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated wide receiver, is still on the board at No. 4, a source familiar with the team's thinking told NFLDraftScout.com that Evans will still be in strong consideration.

DraftInsider.net's Tony Pauline also reported the Browns are have Evans rated higher than Watkins.

Evans, 20, is still raw in several areas, but also flashed the impact potential NFL teams covet at the wide receiver position and has steadily risen to No. 9 on NDS' board. No one is better in this draft than Evans when it comes down to boxing out defenders, high-pointing the football and basically being a power forward on the field.

Factor in his 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame, 4.5 speed and underrated ability after the catch, and Evans has the makings of a future superstar.

The ideal scenario for the Browns would be to find a way to get both Manziel and Evans and reunite that College Station passing connection in Cleveland. But that might be a longshot with both projected to be top 10 picks.

Watkins is an explosive playmaker, but he isn't the consensus top wide receiver prospect in this class as more than a few teams have Evans rated higher due to his size and overall potential.

One thing is for sure, it would not take long for Josh Gordon and Evans to challenge to be the top wideout tandem in the NFL if he in fact is the pick for Cleveland at No. 4 overall.

2014 NFL Draft: Mike Evans in play for Browns at No. 4

By Derek Harper | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

The Cleveland Browns have long been a wild card in the early stages of the 2014 NFL Draft as holders of the No. 4 overall pick. Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has often been linked to the Browns, but another name to keep a close eye on is former Aggies teammate wide receiver Mike Evans.

Even if Clemson's Sammy Watkins, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated wide receiver, is still on the board at No. 4, a source familiar with the team's thinking told NFLDraftScout.com that Evans will still be in strong consideration.

DraftInsider.net's Tony Pauline also reported the Browns are have Evans rated higher than Watkins.

Evans, 20, is still raw in several areas, but also flashed the impact potential NFL teams covet at the wide receiver position and has steadily risen to No. 9 on NDS' board. No one is better in this draft than Evans when it comes down to boxing out defenders, high-pointing the football and basically being a power forward on the field.

Factor in his 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame, 4.5 speed and underrated ability after the catch, and Evans has the makings of a future superstar.

The ideal scenario for the Browns would be to find a way to get both Manziel and Evans and reunite that College Station passing connection in Cleveland. But that might be a longshot with both projected to be top 10 picks.

Watkins is an explosive playmaker, but he isn't the consensus top wide receiver prospect in this class as more than a few teams have Evans rated higher due to his size and overall potential.

One thing is for sure, it would not take long for Josh Gordon and Evans to challenge to be the top wideout tandem in the NFL if he in fact is the pick for Cleveland at No. 4 overall.
If this happens, I'll be drafting Hoyer in every league

Rotoworld:

ESPN's John Clayton believes "if the price isn't too expensive, the Detroit Lions would like to move up a few spots" to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.
With the Lions sitting at the No.10 spot, they may have to move up to the No.3 spot to secure the right to draft Evans. Some evaluators believe Evans could be higher on the Browns board than WR Sammy Watkins sitting at the No.4 spot. Our own Josh Norris seconds that emotion, and has Mike Evans slated to the Browns at No. 4 in his latest mock draft.

Source: ESPN.com

Greg Auman ‏@gregauman

Mike Evans' 4 TD catches in loss to Auburn were as many as Tigers defense allowed in rest of first eight games of 2013 combined.

Greg Auman ‏@gregauman

Only one opponent (Oklahoma) had as many receiving yards as team vs. Alabama as Texas A&M's Mike Evans did in going for 279 in loss to Tide.

NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork

Greg Schiano believes that Mike Evans is very much like Vincent Jackson. #NFLDraft

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

In his annual top 100 draft prospects, colleague @Jeff_Legwold ranks Mike Evans as his No. 5 player and Sammy Watkins as his No. 6.

2014 NFL Draft: Burning questions for first round -- and beyond

Excerpt:

5) Who are the five best players in this draft?How's this from one of the best executives in the league: "Clowney, Mack, (Sammy) Watkins, (Greg) Robinson and Mike Evans."

No argument here. Evans is the one name that might stand out to some, but I think the sure-handed, big-bodied Texas A&M product is going to be a star. And I think this quintet makes plenty of sense when you examine the draft order, too: Houston selects Clowney, St. Louis grabs Robinson, Jacksonville can't wait to take Mack, Cleveland pairs Watkins with Josh Gordon and Oakland snatches up Evans. Of course, some team could get giddy about Johnny Football, or Jake Matthews might sneak in.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Caplan mentioned on NFL Insiders that he polled executives around the league, and three mentioned the Bills as a team they could envision trading up in the draft.
"They like Mike Evans," Caplan said of Buffalo. The Bills are concerned with E.J. Manuel's development after year one. Giving him a 6-foot-5, 231-pound wideout with 35 1/8-inch arms could help with E.J.'s erratic passes. Buffalo also plays run-first offense, and Evans is a very effective run blocker. We suspect the Bills would have to move to No. 6 overall to ensure they secured Evans.

Related: Bills

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Caplan mentioned on NFL Insiders that he polled executives around the league, and three mentioned the Bills as a team they could envision trading up in the draft.
"They like Mike Evans," Caplan said of Buffalo. The Bills are concerned with E.J. Manuel's development after year one. Giving him a 6-foot-5, 231-pound wideout with 35 1/8-inch arms could help with E.J.'s erratic passes. Buffalo also plays run-first offense, and Evans is a very effective run blocker. We suspect the Bills would have to move to No. 6 overall to ensure they secured Evans.

Related: Bills
One of my favorite things about Evans. He doesn't just block, he seems love it.

Rotoworld:

According to FOX Sports' Jay Glazer, Texas A&M WR Mike Evans has "flown up boards big time this week."
Glazer, who takes pride in avoiding mock drafts, is talking about teams' boards, not the internet's. CBS' Dane Brugler reported last Thursday that there's a "real chance" the Browns take Evans at No. 4, while ESPN's Adam Caplan hinted the Bills could be considering a trade up for the ex-Aggie. Buffalo picks at No. 9.

Source: FOX Sports Radio

How does somebody fly up boards in the last week of the draft? Did they just pop in his film today? It is strange.

As the owner of the #2 pick in a couple leagues, I would love to see him go as high as possible though.

In the interview they ask Glazer if Watkins will go to Oakland at 5... He says he'll be gone but Evans had flown up boards... Flown up this week. Goes into how he's been considered mid first, but is where he should be now. I don't think this week is what he intended to say, but of course Rotoworld runs with it because their boy Josh Norris has been pimping him.

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, "nobody in the NFL will be surprised" if Odell Beckham is drafted ahead of Mike Evans on Thursday.
NFL teams seem smitten with Beckham despite his limited size (5'11/198), as he's been linked to clubs drafting as early as Tampa at No. 7 overall, Buffalo at No. 9, Detroit at No. 10, and the Giants at No. 12. We consider 9-16 to be the "sweet spot" for Beckham's draft slot. Our main takeaway from this Werder report is that perhaps Evans will not be drafted as early as people expect.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
I would be very surprised if OBJ is drafted ahead of Mike Evans on Thursday.

How does somebody fly up boards in the last week of the draft? Did they just pop in his film today? It is strange.

As the owner of the #2 pick in a couple leagues, I would love to see him go as high as possible though.
Agreed, especially if any of the rumors regarding the Eagles or Lions trying to get into the top 5 for a WR turn out. As of right now, though, I'm not really necessarily counting on that.

Mike Evans to OAK would be terrible.
If Evans is there at #5 the Raiders will trade the pick. No way they take him. I see only one player that may be availble for them to take and that is Mack. If Mack is there I think they pull the trigger. Anyone else and they trade out. This is how I see it going.

#1 Houston - Robinson

#2 Atlanta trade with St Louis - Clowney

#3 Jags - Johnny Football

#4 Browns - Watkins

#5 Raiders - Mack

#6 - Rams - Mathews

Denver724 said:
If Evans is there at #5 the Raiders will trade the pick. No way they take him. I see only one player that may be availble for them to take and that is Mack. If Mack is there I think they pull the trigger. Anyone else and they trade out. This is how I see it going.

#1 Houston - Robinson

#4 Browns - Watkins

#5 Raiders - Mack

#6 - Rams - Mathews
Raiders prefer Evans over Watkins - http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/287138/report-raiders-prefer-mike-evans-to-watkins

Denver724 said:

#1 Houston - Robinson

#4 Browns - Watkins

#5 Raiders - Mack

#6 - Rams - Mathews
Raiders prefer Evans over Watkins - http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/287138/report-raiders-prefer-mike-evans-to-watkins
I don't beleive anything that is said this time of year. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not - but what benefit would it be for the Raiders to say it, if they really beleived it.

Denver724 said:

#1 Houston - Robinson

#4 Browns - Watkins

#5 Raiders - Mack

#6 - Rams - Mathews
No, they don't.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports a "wide-receiver needy team picking in the top 10" has Texas A&M's Mike Evans ranked ahead of Clemson's Sammy Watkins.
Profootballtalk reported Thursday morning that the Raiders are believed to prefer Evans to Watkins, so it's a good bet they're Schefter's team. Evans' media-perceived stock has been soaring in recent days, but Schefter reports it would "floor everybody" if he came off the board before Watkins. In addition to the Raiders at No. 5, the Browns at No. 4 are a possible landing spot for Johnny Manziel's No. 1 receiver.

Related: Sammy Watkins
The Jaguars would also qualify as a "wide-receiver needy team picking in the top 10", and what a surprise that could be if they picked Evans over Watkins!

Users who are viewing this thread