What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Williams, NYJ (3 Viewers)

Mike Williams caught 2-of-5 targets for 27 yards in the Chargers' Week 6 loss to the Ravens. 

Battling a knee issue, Williams spent most of the fourth quarter resting on the sideline with the game well in doubt. The Chargers went down 34-6 five seconds into the final frame. Williams was not announced with an injury, so it was presumably just load management in an out-of-reach affair. Williams nearly had a different day but could not quite haul in what might have been a 47-yard touchdown on the Chargers' opening drive. The Chargers simply could not sustain drives, creating limited big-play opportunities. Williams now has a perfectly-timed bye week before the Chargers return for Week 8 to host the Patriots.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the deal with this guy. He either poops the bed, or goes off with 100+ and 2 TDs.

FBG ranks him really high rest of season but I'm not sure I understand why.

Is he as valuable as say, and A.J Brown?

What is the deal with this guy. He either poops the bed, or goes off with 100+ and 2 TDs.

FBG ranks him really high rest of season but I'm not sure I understand why.

Is he as valuable as say, and A.J Brown?
19, 20, 30, 1, 36 & 3 points on 12, 10, 9, 4, 16 & 5 targets.

You really concerned about that?

I love AJ, and AJ could absolutely outperform Mike Williams RoS but he is absolutely worth at least as much as AJ.

Dynasty I may trade Williams for AJ because of injury history/potential but considering how this season is shaping up there is no way I trade Williams for AJ. This looks like Williams's career year.

@Scooby1974

FTR an owner in my league (redraft, wr & te combined) ) dropped AJ for Dalton Schultz before week 6 and I immediately added AJ (dropped Khalil Herbert). 

So my perspective of the values of AJ and Williams may be a little skewed.

Mike Williams (knee) is practicing in full for Week 8 against the Patriots.

Williams was highly questionable headed into Week 6 against the Ravens but gutted through it, playing a season-low 36% of the snaps and catching 2-of-5 targets for 27 yards. The week off did him a lot of good, and Williams will be a WR1/2 this Sunday.

Oct 27, 2021, 10:54 PM ET

Chargers coach Brandon Staley said Mike Williams’ knee injury is a “non-factor."

Staley added that the knee issue isn’t why Williams’ production has been trending downward as of late. After starting the year with 471 yards through five games, Williams has just 137 yards on ten catches in the past four weeks. The injury dates back to Week 5. After suffering the knee injury, Williams didn't practice at all leading into the Chargers' Week 6 game versus the Ravens. He ultimately played and was removed from the injury report entirely by Week 9. That far removed from the injury, Staley is probably right about it being a non-factor. Look for Williams to bounce back in Week 11 versus a Steelers defense that could be without multiple key starters.

SOURCE: Gilbert Manzano on Twitter

Nov 15, 2021, 5:17 PM ET

I have him projected for 150 targets, leading to 90/1391/10. Which assumes health. But still - the upside is incredible in this offense. He's a late dart throw - why not throw it?
IIRC this projection was for 16 games, not 17. Not sure if I am remembering that right.

9 games in, 41/608/6 on 72 targets. That is a 17 game pace of 77/1148/11.

However, he has 10/137/0 on 21 targets over his last 4 games, so it is arguable that simple scaling overprojects his final numbers given the recent struggles of the Chargers offense. It also assumes that he will remain healthy for the remaining 8 games.

:popcorn:  

IIRC this projection was for 16 games, not 17. Not sure if I am remembering that right.

9 games in, 41/608/6 on 72 targets. That is a 17 game pace of 77/1148/11.

However, he has 10/137/0 on 21 targets over his last 4 games, so it is arguable that simple scaling overprojects his final numbers given the recent struggles of the Chargers offense. It also assumes that he will remain healthy for the remaining 8 games.

:popcorn:  
Yes. After 4 games I looked like a genius, and now 9 in it's not looking good. I'm confused at to what has happened too - he still looks like the best receiver, the best stuff still happens when they target him, and their offense looking like crap coincides with the skid. 

Color me confused.

I think Williams is a UFA next year. They should be playing Josh Palmer more at this point to see what they gave in him. Thought he looked good with limited time last week.

I think Williams is a UFA next year. They should be playing Josh Palmer more at this point to see what they gave in him. Thought he looked good with limited time last week.
They are thick in the hunt for the playoffs in a wide open AFC, why would they start "seeing what they have"?

They are thick in the hunt for the playoffs in a wide open AFC, why would they start "seeing what they have"?
Because Williams really isn't doing anything more than Josh Palmer has been doing over the past 3 weeks. It's not like Williams is Davante Adams or Tyreek Hill of the Chargers. Right now he's putting up numbers like Josh Palmer, and maybe Palmer could do more with increased playing time. If Williams was significantly outplaying Palmer, then yeah, stick with Williams. That really hasn't been the case lately, and based on how Williams has been playing, he's probably not in their long term plans at WR.

Because Williams really isn't doing anything more than Josh Palmer has been doing over the past 3 weeks. It's not like Williams is Davante Adams or Tyreek Hill of the Chargers. Right now he's putting up numbers like Josh Palmer, and maybe Palmer could do more with increased playing time. If Williams was significantly outplaying Palmer, then yeah, stick with Williams. That really hasn't been the case lately, and based on how Williams has been playing, he's probably not in their long term plans at WR.

That's just crazy talk.  He started strong, he's a first round pick.  They aren't going to take him out of the starting line up in a playoff run to see 'what they have'

Herbert is slumping, perhaps they should see what they have in Easton Stick. /sarcasm

Gotta like it when a WR slumps - they suck, but if a QB slumps - they'll work their way out of it. As if the QB slumping doesn't affect the WR.

Herbert is slumping, perhaps they should see what they have in Easton Stick. /sarcasm

Gotta like it when a WR slumps - they suck, but if a QB slumps - they'll work their way out of it. As if the QB slumping doesn't affect the WR.
Herbert is a franchise QB, and if Williams is a franchise WR they'll pay him big bucks next year to keep him. Just noticing that in the past 3 weeks I thought Palmer has looked good in very limited play irregardless of Herbert slumping or not. As a fan, just curious to see what he could do with more targets. Maybe that doesn't happen this year, or ever.

last 3 games:

8 100 0 on 16 targets

6 68 1 on 6 targets

That's just crazy talk.  He started strong, he's a first round pick.  They aren't going to take him out of the starting line up in a playoff run to see 'what they have'
Defenses game plan for a guy like Mike Williams and it looks like defenses may be catching up with Herbert too. The defense isn't doing them any favors and their inability to stop the run is a big factor in the Chargers being 29th in time of possession. Which actually speaks well for the offense as they are the only team in the bottom 10 with a winning record.

Good coaches scheme their way out of these kind of slumps and we have no idea if Staley & Lombardi are good coaches yet. It's easy to look like a genius with Drew Brees & Sean Payton or taking over Wade Philips's defense with Aaron Donald & Jalen Ramsey in their prime.

All this isn't to say Williams isn't in a huge slump in his own right. History isn't really on his side as to whether or not he will recover.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes for the Chargers.

But one thing for certain is it brings no benefit to sit Williams for Palmer at the moment.

looked like a genius in most of my leagues early on because I bought shares of this guy everywhere "on the cheap"....I expected some regression, but this has been brutal.....and of course he is probably the poster child for as soon as you bench him he goes 8-156-2....

Herbert is a franchise QB, and if Williams is a franchise WR they'll pay him big bucks next year to keep him. Just noticing that in the past 3 weeks I thought Palmer has looked good in very limited play irregardless of Herbert slumping or not. As a fan, just curious to see what he could do with more targets. Maybe that doesn't happen this year, or ever.

last 3 games:

8 100 0 on 16 targets

6 68 1 on 6 targets
And it isn't a bad observation on its surface. But where/when did Palmer's targets come? Two WR sets? Spread formations with Allen, Williams, Cook & Ekeler in the pattern? Short down & distance? 3 & forever? It makes a difference in the quality of targets and defensive coverage.

His TD came with 47 seconds left in the 4th, on 2 & 10 from the 24 with the Pats up by 10. I don't have the data for the Chargers players on the field at for that drive but that doesn't seem like a tight man coverage situation.

ETA: the only point is that context is important when trying to compare raw numbers.

Defenses game plan for a guy like Mike Williams and it looks like defenses may be catching up with Herbert too. The defense isn't doing them any favors and their inability to stop the run is a big factor in the Chargers being 29th in time of possession. Which actually speaks well for the offense as they are the only team in the bottom 10 with a winning record.

Good coaches scheme their way out of these kind of slumps and we have no idea if Staley & Lombardi are good coaches yet. It's easy to look like a genius with Drew Brees & Sean Payton or taking over Wade Philips's defense with Aaron Donald & Jalen Ramsey in their prime.

All this isn't to say Williams isn't in a huge slump in his own right. History isn't really on his side as to whether or not he will recover.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes for the Chargers.

But one thing for certain is it brings no benefit to sit Williams for Palmer at the moment.

You make an excellent point on the Herbert.  I think as a whole the league has just caught up with the chargers and they aren't scheming there way out of it.

he dropped a pass on a slant inside the 10 which would have been a TD.....Herbert threw a bullet and it was on top of MW very quickly.....instead of being able to use his hands he kind of had to try and pin it up against his shoulder pads and it bounced off....would have helped a little....

I don't know what's wrong with him but he is certainly a piece of the puzzle of why my 6-0 team has lost 4 straight games...
He is also a piece of the puzzle why you started 6-0, but we do live in a "what have you done for me lately" world.  But yes, his last 4 weeks have sucked, and more important, he only has 21 targets during that span.  The first 5 games he averaged a smidge over 10 targets, but the last 4 it's only a smidge over 5.  Monitor his targets closely.

No Fitzpatrick. Shootout looming.

Please let there be a correction coming.

Guy in my league got impatient after week five and dumped AJ Brown. Pretty sure he regrets that decision.

I know Williams isn't AJ Brown but I don't want to regret giving up on Williams.

what kind of sucks is most of us probably drafted him as a WR3-4/flex option...and he balled out for us early....but then when we really kind of needed him to fill that role during some of the bye weeks he has pooped the bed...

what kind of sucks is most of us probably drafted him as a WR3-4/flex option...and he balled out for us early....but then when we really kind of needed him to fill that role during some of the bye weeks he has pooped the bed...
He was my WR4 but I got him in my lineup quick, fast and in a hurry by week 2 because I have always believed in his ability.

It's his durability that concerns me particularly because he had back problems and he has such a big frame. But I'm keeping him in my lineup at least one more week, mostly because he's my flex and that kind of upside is exactly what I want from my flex.

I watched the last game.  Williams was open a BUNCH on curl ins-8 to 12 yards..  never got the ball thrown to him.
I was wondering if he's been open. Herbert is locked on Allen now, probly due to Ds doing some different things to confuse him & make it harder to go deep.

I expect Williams to come out of his slump, but it's hard to say when. I believe it's directly related to Herbert, not Williams' knee or anything else.

Mike Williams' season splits:

• Weeks 1-5: WR2
  • Weeks 6-10: WR80

I think the lesson to learn as far as Dynasty goes is any time you trade for Mike Williams you need to make the draft picks you are trading conditional...never easy with this guy.

I don't buy for a second that his knee isn't a factor. He was dominant in the beginning of the year while managing to stay off the injury report, then after week 5 he's missed several practices with it and hasn't had a good game since. Even if he's 90% that's the difference between a stud vs. JAG.

Mike Williams caught 5-of-6 targets for 97 yards and a touchdown in the Chargers' Week 11 win over the Steelers.

Williams caught a 53-yard catch-and-run touchdown on a blown coverage late in the fourth quarter, and that ended up being the difference in the game. Still, Williams only had six targets on 41 passing attempts, continuing the concerning trend of Keenan Allen emerging as the Chargers' clear WR1. With that being said, Williams remains in the WR2 mix even as a distant second option behind Allen.

Nov 21, 2021, 11:52 PM ET

Hmm... close contact. Wonder if that changes the mandatory 10 day for an unvax'd player? Because from being out for weeks 14 & 15 to a possibility of playing this weekend is kinda big lol.
Makes a huge difference. Unless he develops and tests positive for COVID between now and then he’s playing Sunday. 

Do we know if he is vaccinated? I thought you couldnt be deemed a close contact if you were vaccinated. 
Chargers coach Brandon Staley said Mike Williams is day-to-day and did not rule him out for Week 14 against the Giants.

Williams was added to the COVID list as a close contact of Keenan Allen, who was put on the list earlier this week. Because Williams is unvaccinated, he is out for five days. However, the five-day period starts at the time of the contact and that was deemed to have happened on Monday. While Williams will likely miss the entire week of practice, he should be able to suit up for the Chargers' Week 14 game against the Giants. Allen also has a shot at playing this week because he is vaccinated. 

Chargers coach Brandon Staley said Mike Williams is day-to-day and did not rule him out for Week 14 against the Giants.

Williams was added to the COVID list as a close contact of Keenan Allen, who was put on the list earlier this week. Because Williams is unvaccinated, he is out for five days. However, the five-day period starts at the time of the contact and that was deemed to have happened on Monday. While Williams will likely miss the entire week of practice, he should be able to suit up for the Chargers' Week 14 game against the Giants. Allen also has a shot at playing this week because he is vaccinated. 
Nice he can sit in the IR spot until he comes off the Covid list, which sounds like we could hear some news by this weekend and obviously for sure an hour and a half before the 4:05 p.m. start EST. I'm holding Aiyuk in case he doesn't play. SF plays at 4:25 p.m. I think he still must continue to get tested like every day. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports unvaccinated Mike Williams' "close contact" with COVID-positive Keenan Allen came on Monday, and that he could be cleared to return on Saturday. 

Josina Anderson reported earlier Thursday that Williams has continued to test negative. Williams is headed in the right direction for Sunday's game against the Giants, though anyone who has been alive since March 2020 knows the caprices of the coronavirus. He could test negative five days in a row then go positive. Sit tight, be optimistic, but keep your WR2 back-up plan ready.  

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Dec 9, 2021, 2:21 PM ET

Mike Williams, a "close contact" of Keenan Allen, has continued to test negative for Covid-19.

Williams is on track to suit up on Sunday, potentially clearing the "close contact" protocol on Saturday. He is in line for quite a bit of volume if he's active. Keenan Allen has reemerged as the Chargers' clear WR1 and leaves behind substantial target volume. Williams is a strong WR2 option assuming he is cleared to play.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Dec 10, 2021, 1:47 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread