What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nico Collins, HOU (1 Viewer)

I have him in 2/3 dynasty leagues.

1 is a 12 team, IDP league with 30 roster spots--keep 15, with 15 rounds of re-draft. So maybe more of a big keeper.

In any event, trying to make a move so that I can hold Collins going into the season.

Cautiously optimistic moving into year 2. Liked him okay out of Michigan, but had some concerns that he was just a deep threat jump ball guy. The good news there is that he flashed unexpected quickness on short-intermediate throws as a rookie. All things considered, he moves very well for a WR with his height/size. Think there's potential for a Pittman/Sutton type of breakout here, even on a bad team. Would I bet the farm on it? No, but he's interesting value at ADP. Good dart throw for your redraft roster and an interesting throw-in candidate in dynasty if you can find an owner who's lukewarm.

Texans will need to throw and those targets are going somewhere

6 4 guy that runs a 4.4 with quickness seems like a strong candidate to get them.

Cautiously optimistic moving into year 2. Liked him okay out of Michigan, but had some concerns that he was just a deep threat jump ball guy. The good news there is that he flashed unexpected quickness on short-intermediate throws as a rookie. All things considered, he moves very well for a WR with his height/size. Think there's potential for a Pittman/Sutton type of breakout here, even on a bad team. Would I bet the farm on it? No, but he's interesting value at ADP. Good dart throw for your redraft roster and an interesting throw-in candidate in dynasty if you can find an owner who's lukewarm.
That was the thing I noticed in the couple games I saw him play last year. Just looked really smooth for a big receiver.

Happy to have him on all of my dynasty teams.

I really like Collins. I am of the belief that the Texans passing attack won’t be as bad as a lot of people are anticipating. They could be behind in a lot of games which could mean they could pass a lot. I know this is kinda an assistant coach forum kind of question—but I would like some advice. Nico was just dropped in my redraft superflex league. I have Mills as my third qb to use in bye weeks and such. I’m thinking about grabbing Nico—but I’d have to drop either Landry or Wan’dale robinson to get him. I kinda like wan’dale and think he could have upside on the Giants. I’d like some opinions of how you guys would rank wan’dale, nico, landry this season if you didn’t mind.

I really like Collins. I am of the belief that the Texans passing attack won’t be as bad as a lot of people are anticipating. They could be behind in a lot of games which could mean they could pass a lot. I know this is kinda an assistant coach forum kind of question—but I would like some advice. Nico was just dropped in my redraft superflex league. I have Mills as my third qb to use in bye weeks and such. I’m thinking about grabbing Nico—but I’d have to drop either Landry or Wan’dale robinson to get him. I kinda like wan’dale and think he could have upside on the Giants. I’d like some opinions of how you guys would rank wan’dale, nico, landry this season if you didn’t mind.
It depends on your roster

I would rather have Nico than Landry, unless you can’t afford to drop a decent floor guy like Landry. (Even then, I would really consider it).

Nico Collins caught 2-of-3 passes for 26 yards against the Colts in Houston's Week 1 tie.

Three is actually enough to be third place in an extremely balanced and wonky Texans offense. This obviously was not the start you were looking for if you had Collins as a fantasy sleeper, but the Colts defense is good enough to give him some benefit of the doubt. Collins is a FLEX at best against Denver in Week 2.

- NBCSportsEDGE

The Texans want to get Nico Collins and other pass-catchers more involved in the passing game.​

Collins was a popular late-round pick by drafters all offseason, but his Week 1 output was rather underwhelming. The second-year receiver was second amongst Texans receivers last week in snaps (47) but caught just 2-of-3 targets for 26 yards against the Colts on 32 routes run. Collins drew some praise throughout training camp and appears entrenched as the Texans' No. 2 receiver. While he's certain to have more productive games than what we saw last week, he will be difficult to trust as anything more than a deep flex until he proves otherwise.
SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Sep 15, 2022, 9:24 AM ET

The Texans want to get Nico Collins and other pass-catchers more involved in the passing game.​

Collins was a popular late-round pick by drafters all offseason, but his Week 1 output was rather underwhelming. The second-year receiver was second amongst Texans receivers last week in snaps (47) but caught just 2-of-3 targets for 26 yards against the Colts on 32 routes run. Collins drew some praise throughout training camp and appears entrenched as the Texans' No. 2 receiver. While he's certain to have more productive games than what we saw last week, he will be difficult to trust as anything more than a deep flex until he proves otherwise.
Sep 15, 2022, 9:24 AM ET
Well, you could say that about almost anyone who had a crappy first week with small target numbers.

I picked him up when someone dropped him for Phillips. Have faith he can be a #3 type WR this year and at worst, a decent bye week fill in

Bought into the hype and drafted him late as my WR 4-5 in one league and got him in an auction for $1 in another. Considering dropping him. He is the #2 option on a bad offense that has no running game. Not sure what I can expect from him and I'm not sure I can trust him enough to put him into my lineup based on matchup even. Bye week flex perhaps, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with that roster decision. I doubt he will be the WR1 in Houston any time soon, so maybe he can get me 60 yards and maybe a TD here and there? What are the chances he does it the one week I put him in my lineup? He's not a lottery ticket nor a game winner. I think I'd rather take a chance on a young kid that can put up similar numbers as a bye week filler with the upside of being a game changer.

I'll give him one more week to change my mind.

Nico Collins caught 4-of-9 targets for 58 yards in Houston's Week 2 loss to the Broncos.​

It's one short of his career high in targets, 10 in Week 14 against the Seahawks in 2021. Collins caught passes to leadoff two drives in a row after Denver went up 13-9 in the fourth quarter, and those accounted for 49 of his 58 yards. History has told us that this probably isn't the start of a breakout as far as target percentage, but it's at least a faint pulse for his DFS and FLEX hopes as the Texans head into Week 3 against the Bears.
Sep 18, 2022, 8:56 PM ET

Nico Collins caught 4-of-9 targets for 58 yards in Houston's Week 2 loss to the Broncos.​

It's one short of his career high in targets, 10 in Week 14 against the Seahawks in 2021. Collins caught passes to leadoff two drives in a row after Denver went up 13-9 in the fourth quarter, and those accounted for 49 of his 58 yards. History has told us that this probably isn't the start of a breakout as far as target percentage, but it's at least a faint pulse for his DFS and FLEX hopes as the Texans head into Week 3 against the Bears.
Sep 18, 2022, 8:56 PM ET

9 targets. Not bad.

He's a young receiver playing with a young QB. A little patience needed here, but encouraging.

Nico Collins caught 2-of-4 targets for 41 yards in Houston's Week 3 loss to Chicago.

Collins got the Texans into goal-to-go with a 19-yard catch in the first quarter and wound up with a 22-yarder as an intermediate crosser in the third quarter. He was surprisingly not targeted in the red zone, perhaps he should try becoming a practice-squad tight end if he wanted that chance. This passing game hasn't generated enough value to support a non-Brandin Cooks fantasy breakout this year. Collins will face up with the one team he has a touchdown against in his career, the Chargers, in Week 4.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Texans WR Nico Collins caught all three of his targets for 33 yards before exiting Week 7 against the Raiders with a groin injury.

It's not exactly known when Collins suffered his injury, but he was spotted on the sideline late in the fourth quarter, with Phillip Dorsett taking over in his absence.
Collins was off to a solid start before exiting the game, with his longest play coming on a 15-yard reception on the Texans' first play of the game. Collins' status ahead of the team's Week 8 matchup against the Titans will be one to monitor throughout the week. If active, he'll be nothing more than a deep flex play as the second-year receiver has yet to log more than four receptions in any game this season.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Last edited:

Aaron Wilson reports that Nico Collins (groin) injury "isn't regarded as long-term."​

Collins left Week 7's game after pulling in three targets for 33 yards with the groin injury. While the Texans signed Tyron Johnson in a move that may signal some missed time for Collins, it sounds like he'll have a chance to come back this season. Whether that includes a stint on injured reserve or not is probably still up in the air.
Oct 25, 2022, 2:21 PM ET

Texans head coach Lovie Smith said Nico Collins (groin) is not out for the season​

It's good to know Collins, who was coming on as Houston's No. 2 receiver in recent week, won't miss the rest of the year. Collins did not practice Wednesday and should be considered highly doubtful to play in Week 8 against the Titans. Phillip Dorsett and Chris Moore have some deep-league appeal if Collins is out. Dorsett caught three of his four targets last week after Collins' exit -- one for a touchdown.
RELATED:

Texans ruled out WR Nico Collins (groin) for Week 8 against the Titans.​

Collins was held out of practice all week but still drew the questionable tag, ultimately being ruled out ahead of the Texans' Week 8 matchup with the Titans. Fellow wide receiver Brandin Cooks popped on the injury report Friday with a phantom wrist injury, confusingly listed as a full participant and then drawing the same questionable tag. Cooks has been connected to multiple teams as Tuesday's trade deadline approaches. It is possible Cooks is held out, which would leave the Houston wide receiver room with Chris Moore and Phillip Dorsett atop the depth chart. Each would represent interesting dart throw receivers for fantasy teams struggling with bye weeks and/or injuries, or as near min-price players in DFS contests this weekend.
Oct 29, 2022, 4:13 PM ET

Nico Collins will not play in Week 9 against the Eagles.​

Collins is dealing with a groin injury that could sideline him beyond Week 9. He did not practice at all this week. Brandin Cooks is also questionable with a wrist issue. If Cooks is ruled out, the Texans will be down to Phillip Dorsett and Chris Moore as their top receivers.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Nov 2, 2022, 4:00 PM ET

Stashing Nico away for the stretch run even though I expect him to miss at least another game. Between him picking up his game and Cooks not being happy, may be some considerable opportunity for Nico down the stretch. Mills certainly limits this offense, but he's still going to have to throw in presumably negative game scripts. And for dynasty/keeper purposes, have to think there will be a big upgrade at QB next year.

Texans head coach Lovie Smith was non-committal on Nico Collins (groin) playing in Week 10 against the Giants.​

Smith noted that Collins is "right on schedule" with his recovery and added that the team hopes he can practice later on this week. Collins has missed the Texans' last two games with a groin injury suffered in Week 7, with Phillip Dorsett seeing a significant increase in snaps during his absence. His status will be one to monitor throughout the week, but even if he's active, Collins is nothing more than a deep FLEX play against the Giants.
Nov 7, 2022, 3:53 PM ET

Nico Collins (groin) practiced Wednesday.​

Collins, who hasn't played since Week 7 with a groin issue, looks to be on track to suit up against the Giants in Week 10. He had seven receptions for 148 yards in the two games before his injury as the second-year wideout emerged as a No. 2 threat behind Brandin Cooks. With Cooks refusing to play for the Texans (for now), Collins could be Houston's top wideout this week against New York. Fantasy managers should consider him a high-end WR3 in such a scenario.
SOURCE: Brooks Kubena on Twitter
Nov 9, 2022, 10:07 AM ET

IMO Collins continues to fly under the radar. Even with a healthy Cooks, Collins was gaining steam and I could very well see him being the top WR down the stretch as the team evaluates its young talent.

IMO Collins continues to fly under the radar. Even with a healthy Cooks, Collins was gaining steam and I could very well see him being the top WR down the stretch as the team evaluates its young talent.
I drafted in redraft and held until last week. I finally had to drop because he seems (at best) in line for the lion's share of starvation rations. Sprinkle in the groin thing and it's hard to hang on.

Nico Collins (groin) practiced Thursday.​

Collins has now logged two-straight practices ahead of the Texans' Week 10 matchup with the Giants. The second-year receiver last suited up in Week 7 but could be on track to return after appearing in each of the team's first two practices this week. If active, Collins could have some WR3 upside against the Giants, especially if Brandin Cooks (wrist) is unable to go.
Nov 10, 2022, 10:28 AM ET

Thoughts on his dynasty value since Cooks wasn’t traded?
@zamboni said it best, he was playing well prior to injury on a possible trajectory of becoming their top target. I think Nico along with Terrace Marshall were two great acquire cheap dynasty targets this year. I hope he gets healthy and has a chance to continue to progress. Bonus is the Texans are currently slated for the number one overall pick and could grab a top signal caller.

KPRC Houston's Aaron Wilson reports Texans WR Nico Collins (questionable, core) is "trending toward being available" for Week 10 against the Giants.​

Collins hasn't played since Week 7 but looks on track to return after a week of limited practice. Getting Collins back would be a needed upgrade for a Texans' pass offense that could be without Brandin Cooks (questionable, wrist) for a second straight week. Collins would be in line for a high target share if he plays and Cooks sits.
SOURCE: KPRC2 Houston
Nov 12, 2022, 10:41 AM ET

Nico Collins caught 5-of-10 targets for 49 yards and a touchdown in the Texans’ Week 10 loss against the Giants.​

Collins took advantage of the Texans’ pass-heavy scheme in his return. Operating as the team’s WR2, Collins made his hay mid-third quarter when he caught a 12-yard touchdown pass from Davis Mills. Next week, he’ll have a chance to improve upon his performance against the lowly Commanders.
Nov 13, 2022, 5:24 PM ET

@zamboni said it best, he was playing well prior to injury on a possible trajectory of becoming their top target. I think Nico along with Terrace Marshall were two great acquire cheap dynasty targets this year. I hope he gets healthy and has a chance to continue to progress. Bonus is the Texans are currently slated for the number one overall pick and could grab a top signal caller.
Thanks - I’ll be starting him going forward.

Seems to have fan in Lovie: https://twitter.com/aaronwilson_nfl/status/1591907661121048576?s=46&t=_ts-mVSND7IaeWZ2NjGoDg

Seems to have fan in Lovie: https://twitter.com/aaronwilson_nfl/status/1591907661121048576?s=46&t=_ts-mVSND7IaeWZ2NjGoDg
Great info, you guys think he realistically could lead them in targets rest of the way?

Great info, you guys think he realistically could lead them in targets rest of the way?
I think it’s likely he’ll be the target leader although Cooks isn’t going away.

Week 11 Fantasy Football Stats Notebook: Why Kadarius Toney is set up for success vs. Chargers

Excerpt:

Nico Collins ran a route on 81% of the dropbacks in Week 10, the highest on the team

Collins is absolutely a great option for fantasy managers looking for Week 11 sleepers. The Commanders are a pass-funnel defense and Davis Mills has severe home/road splits (shoutout to Dalton Del Don on the Yahoo Fantasy Football Forecast for that nugget).

I’m more interested in what comes beyond that. Collins has legitimate talent. He makes spectacular grabs at the catch point and is pretty solid against press coverage. That second note matters considering he runs out as a pure X-receiver. He’s an ascending player on a wide-open depth chart.

That depth chart is even more open than we imagined heading into the season. The Brandin Cooks situation deteriorated fast after his failed trade request. He’s clearly not happy about it and while he had a touchdown called back last week, he hasn’t been targeted more than seven times since Week 2. There’s a 50/50 chance that Collins straight-up outproduces Cooks the rest of the way.

Nico Collins (foot) did not practice Wednesday.​

Collins was expected to be limited in practice but ultimately goes down as a DNP. The downgrade is a bit concerning for his Week 14 status. Brandin Cooks is unlikely to play while dealing with a calf issue. If neither receiver is able to suit up, Chris Moore would ascend to the top receiver spot on Houston's depth chart. He would be a volume-based WR4 for fantasy purposes.
Dec 7, 2022, 4:11 PM ET

Nico Collins (foot) did not practice on Thursday.​

Collins and Brandin Cooks (calf) have both missed the first two practices to start the week. Collins saw 10 targets in last week's loss to the Browns but is trending in the wrong direction to start this week. If he's unable to log a limited session on Friday, those banking on Collins as a deep FLEX play in Week 14 may have to start looking elsewhere. With six teams on bye this week, Chris Moore or Phillip Dorsett would be viable deep plays, but fantasy managers would be better off avoiding this offense when possible.
Dec 8, 2022, 10:20 AM ET

I need one of the WR for this sorry @*** franchise (I don't care which one) to be healthy this week. Not looking good.

KPRC2's Aaron Wilson reports that Nico Collins (foot) is not expected to play in Week 14 against the Cowboys.​

Collins didn't practice in either of Houston's first two sessions of the week, so this isn't altogether unsurprising. Fantasy value will be hard to come by outside of garbage time this week as the Texans try to hang with the Cowboys as 17-point underdogs.
Dec 8, 2022, 5:18 PM ET

Does anyone know how serious this foot issue is? I can’t find many details anywhere.

Trying to determine if this is going to be a multi week thing so I can drop him and use that important bench slot for something else.

Click2Houston's Aaron Wilson reports Nico Collins (foot) is unlikely to play in Week 15 against the Chiefs.​

Wilson reports that both Collins and wide receiver Brandin Cooks (calf) could miss Week 15. Collins last played in Week 13 against the Browns, catching three passes for 35 yards and one touchdown in the win, but hasn't practiced in nearly two weeks. The absence of Collins and Cooks could put wide receiver Chris Moore on the streaming radar this week. In last week's loss to the Cowboys, Moore saw a team-high 11 targets, securing 10 of them for 124 yards.
RELATED:
Dec 15, 2022, 9:02 AM ET

Nico Collins (foot) did not practice Wednesday.​

Collins hasn't suited up since Week 13. It would hardly be a shock if he's placed on season-ending IR in the coming days. If he remains sidelined this week against the Titans, Chris Moore should again be a viable PPR WR3 option against a weak Tennessee secondary.
SOURCE: Brooks Kubena on Twitter
Dec 21, 2022, 10:07 AM ET

Not much chatter about Nico. Cooks left and was replaced by Woods. A couple of new flavor of the week rookies added. I like Nico as a potential surprise here if he he can stay healthy. Anything from HOU fans?

Users who are viewing this thread