What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (3 Viewers)

Internet people makes psychiatric diagnosis now of people they have never met?

Just heard this on the radio and saw it on twitter.
Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 12s12 seconds ago Manhattan, NY
Ben McAdoo on @WFAN660 says "It's news to me;'' refutes report that Odell Beckham Jr. has been put on notice about benching or suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about psychiatry.. but those DBs are sure as #### all up in his head.  He is shook.
Agreed.  None of us know what's going on in his head but we can all clearly see that he's getting rattled on the field and on the sidelines.  Maybe he channels that and uses it (and the current media talk) as motivation or maybe he continues down the path he's on.  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

It's interesting how times have changed. Back in the day, if you acted a fool like Bobby Knight or John McEnroe or even Michael Jordan at times, most people just gave you a pass as a great competitor even if your behavior crossed a line. But these days, everything gets over scrutinized and now we have the internet diagnosing OBJ with all manner of issues. And he's not even close to being the worst hothead in the league. Guys like Rivers, Suh, Steve Smith make him look like pretty mild by comparison. 

Also Steve Smith is one of my favorite players of all time. We need more guys that play angry like that. If OBJ could just channel some Steve Smith out on the field, all would be good. 

He is shook? Good lord. How does he have the same stats through this many games last year with the exception of TDs which come randomly? This is the same guy that has been playing for 3 years, you just take what the media feeds you.

He is shook? Good lord. How does he have the same stats through this many games last year with the exception of TDs which come randomly? This is the same guy that has been playing for 3 years, you just take what the media feeds you.
His stats have nothing to do with the fact he is emotionally shook.  He takes the chirping personally, and the DBs know it.  It bothers him.  This is plain to see for any 5 year old familiar with a playground. 

I have no idea what the media is feeding anyone. I have only watched the games... from that alone it is obvious.  :shrug:  

You know whats up in his head because you watch games? That seems a little strange as you saying you have no idea what the media is feeding.
Do you think Norman is emotionally shook? he has more PF penalties in the same given time frame?

No, he just went too far in that game with Norman and the spear and now the world is watching him and getting petty with him.

No, Norman was the culmination of everything thing DB's had learned about defending OB. 
Like what?  Press coverage?  Finishing hits?  Again I don't really believe that these are tactics that haven't been tried on him in the past.  And I mean lets be honest, he schooled Norman two weeks ago.  Held with out a score, no doubt, but he caught 7 passes for 120 yards.  I hardly think he looked "shaken".  On the flip side he got handled last week.  But to be fair that is probably the best defense in the league.  

Dr. Brew said:
I was being facetious

I agree. He is TO. He grew up watching TO and all of the other diva WRs (Moss, Keyshawn, Chad Johnson). I think it was hit on the head earlier- too much too early for this guy. He reached franchise status way too fast and he is very young, doesn't know how to handle it. The guy is obviously a competitor, otherwise he wouldn't be so frustrated with excellent coverage and lack of looks. 
From a fantasy football prospective (why we are all here), what is bad about TO comparisons? 

Unless you care about him as a young man. If so I'm sure there's great message boards for that type of thing. 

He just needs to go out and have some fun again. Relax, play some football, have some fun and let your instincts and talent take over again.

He is a diva (like many WR's in the league), he has reached super stardom status fast and furious.....he needs to take a step back and re focus and again.....just have some fun again with this game.

Too much, too fast and he just needs to settle down. His teammates and coaches are fully behind him and I am sure he will turn it around soon. Too much talent there. If he does not then maybe he is too weak between the ears. Time will tell.

Like what?  Press coverage?  Finishing hits?  Again I don't really believe that these are tactics that haven't been tried on him in the past.  And I mean lets be honest, he schooled Norman two weeks ago.  Held with out a score, no doubt, but he caught 7 passes for 120 yards.  I hardly think he looked "shaken".  On the flip side he got handled last week.  But to be fair that is probably the best defense in the league.  
Of course not.  He is able to win against all these things.

What has been found out is that he can't win against name calling.  A little extra curricular and you have him off his game.  Nothing to do with football... instead his clear weakness is playground psychology.

Sticks and stones.

eta - not "shaken".. he is shook.

He needs to play the rest of the year like Barry Sanders.  Make the play.  Get up, hand the ball to the ref.  Go back do it again.  Take a nap at half time.

Convince the league he has moved on from it.  Until he does, they will keep piling on if they even get a whiff that they can break his will.

From a fantasy football prospective (why we are all here), what is bad about TO comparisons? 

Unless you care about him as a young man. If so I'm sure there's great message boards for that type of thing. 
I hope you're just kidding around. If not, you sound like a D-Bag

He's going to blow up vs. GB this week and all of this talk about him being a headcase will fall by the wayside, regardless as to whether or not it is merited.

I can't understand why the Giants haven't set him up with a team of sports psychologist's yet. If money is a concern I'm sure every OBJ owner, myself included would chip in and pay for it. 

"I think what it boils down to in terms of defenders, you really have to ask yourself: Why are they trying to get in his head? Why are they trying to rattle him?" Sullivan asked reporters, per Newsday. "If a guy, a defender, is confident, if he has complete belief in his own abilities and he's a true competitor, why does he want to try to tip the scales and not want Odell to be at his best?

"It's about the motivation. The only reason a guy tries to get him off his game is because they're not confident enough in their abilities. They're afraid to match up against him one-on-one, mano-y-mano if you will. If that's going to be the approach, you can put that in the bank and say obviously the guy is not courageous enough or man enough or brave enough, whatever you want to say, to go ahead and play it straight up. If they need those types of tricks, OK, then so be it. We're going to rise above it."
Sullivan sounds desperate to convince DB's to be nice to sensitive young Odell.  :lmao:

Nothing wrong with comparing him .  The big concern is the aspect your comparing him to.  Football skills, defiantly the plus side but the attitude, the possibility of blowing up a locker room, etc... not the side you want to have on your team.

He needs to play the rest of the year like Barry Sanders.  Make the play.  Get up, hand the ball to the ref.  Go back do it again.  Take a nap at half time.

Convince the league he has moved on from it.  Until he does, they will keep piling on if they even get a whiff that they can break his will.
Love this. Wonderful.  The issue is teams know now how to get ODB off his game. 

cstu said:
What exactly does this 'trying' consist of?  Specific offers?
Yes, specific offers that include D. Hopkins and any of my 2nd tier RB.  So far he has acceptrd or rejected... but i dont want to turn this into an AC type post and derail the thread.

Evans was and remains a better dynasty player. Been saying this for almost 2yrs now. 

With that said, they're 1a and 1b for me, so it's honestly a coinflip. But Evans situation just trumps ODBs, in every aspect

Yes, specific offers that include D. Hopkins and any of my 2nd tier RB.  So far he has acceptrd or rejected... but i dont want to turn this into an AC type post and derail the thread.
Think AC would be more for "Should you accept the offer"  Were (CSTU) just curious what ya may be willing to pay..  It wont hurt nothing, and a trade could happen, which obviously can help!

I can't understand why the Giants haven't set him up with a team of sports psychologist's yet. If money is a concern I'm sure every OBJ owner, myself included would chip in and pay for it. 
They haven't?  Why do you think that?

I tried offering Julio in another league where my team is younger...  Denied. I'm not sure I want to trade Julio for Beckham on contending teams tho... Since his owners aren't giving any discounts yet,  Beckham's value can only go down at this point. 

I tried offering Julio in another league where my team is younger...  Denied. I'm not sure I want to trade Julio for Beckham on contending teams tho... Since his owners aren't giving any discounts yet,  Beckham's value can only go down at this point. 
Well this part is certainly true, since you know, he's the consensus #1 overall player in dynasty.  

Well this part is certainly true, since you know, he's the consensus #1 overall player in dynasty.  
Haha yeah... I guess it's obvious but he seems to be at a point where if anything bad happens,  including a few more bad games with good matchups,  his value over the next  few weeks might not be #1 dynasty player or even #2 behind Evans.  

Player values seems to have tipping points in which the consensus suddenly realizes they overvalued a player,  which leads to a negative overreaction.   What I mean is look at what Watkins sold for after week 2 vs.  what he sells for right now. 

I heard on Mike & Mike this morning that Odell hasn’t had a catch in the 1st quarter in 3 of the 1st 4 games. That simply cannot happen going forward. He is the Giants best weapon they need to get him involved early.

I also heard Greg Cosell today say that there were several plays in the Vikings games that Odell was open but the ball went to other players.

As a person doing everything he can to acquire OBJ, I love that Soulfly has put his mojo into the hating on OBJ. He is sure to explode now. I am close to finalizing a deal that gets me OBJ for Hilton and Hurns. I love when people panic after 4 weeks.

As a person doing everything he can to acquire OBJ, I love that Soulfly has put his mojo into the hating on OBJ. He is sure to explode now. I am close to finalizing a deal that gets me OBJ for Hilton and Hurns. I love when people panic after 4 weeks.
Whatchu talking bout? 

What no talk since Friday, are we done being dramatic, sensitive to men trash talking and over reactionary?
Cant let this thread sit 3 pages deep after everyone wanted to talk about he is going to get suspended, he is a distraction and any other ridiculousness that was said by the dramatic types. Since those who like to believe sources since they believed a source as great as SB Nation, I'm sure this one you will believe too, unless you have bias.

Sources told CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora to expect the Giants to make a "concerted effort" to get Odell Beckham more involved early in the game on Sunday Night Football against the Packers.
Beckham has just eight first-quarter targets through four games. Sources also told La Canfora the Giants "never considered" internally disciplining Beckham despite midweek reports to the contrary. The organization reportedly believes Beckham's on-field behavior is being "blown out of proportion," a notion with which our own RotoPat firmly agrees. "We would never bet against this kid," one Giants official told La Canfora. "He knows he has our support and we all know what kind of player he is and what kind of person he is. He is not a problem child."
Source: CBS Sports Oct 9 - 8:47 AM

Wasnt able to land him this week as owner got excited that he will blow up, here is to hoping that happens.

Expecting a monster game from Beckham tonight against a depleted Packers secondary.    

It seems to be a pattern where you really don't worry about the first four games of the season with ODB.  In his rookie year, he missed the first four games to injury and finished with 1350 yards and 12 TDs.    In his 2nd year he started with 313 yards and 2 TDs and finished with 1460 yards and 13 TDs even with the Week 16 suspension.   He's at 300 yards and 0 TDs now; 

If you didn't make an effort and buy low before Week 5, it's too late.    

Your aunt is on the short-side of that deal.

I didnt land the deal Dropkick, like I mentioned in the post prior to yours. Most have the feeling he has a great game. I'm not gonna try to give up the moon for a guy many are down on, I took a shot and lost out. I do encourage anyone who wants him to try to get him.

If he has a rough game today despite expectations he will be a lot more buyable in Dynasty (I hope).  These temporary (IMO) but steep dips in value to me are just variance that can be taken advantage of by shrewd owners.

I fully expect him to dominate today, but if he doesn't the doubters are going to get loud.

"We would never bet against this kid," one Giants official told La Canfora. "He knows he has our support and we all know what kind of player he is and what kind of person he is. He is not a problem child."
I'll take Things You Say To The Media When Your Player Is A Problem Child for $1000, Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread