What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (4 Viewers)

Link

Saying it was against building policy, a Mercedes-Benz Superdome police officer was telling LSU football players to extinguish their victory cigars Monday night in the jubilant locker room minutes after winning the national championship when he felt LSU alum and NFL pro Odell Beckham Jr. slap him on the backside.

The 48-year-old lieutenant suppressed the urge to punch Beckham in retaliation, called the New Orleans Police Department two days later and told investigators he wanted to press charges, according to court records.
The article is confusing as to the lieutenant's actual position, alternatively calling him a "police officer" and a "security guard" and also using the terms "security officer" and "stadium police". It wouldn't surprise me if the Superdome had deputized security staff (cf. Tulane campus police, say), but from what I've been reading, the guy is not an actual policeman.

Not bringing that up to make a point about Beckham's actions -- just trying to be accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
A cop's job is far more complex than simply enforcing rules.  Common sense should be part of the equation.
Common sense should be part of the equation.  Common sense to not interrupt a cop or a security guard while they are engaged in their duty and to do it unexpectedly from behind.  Why did OBJ do this, because he felt a kinship with the security guard in that moment of celebration or because he wished to diminish or deemphasize that persons authority as he was dealing with the LSU player?  OBJ wanted to make this about him and now he has.

Common sense should be part of the equation.  Common sense to not interrupt a cop or a security guard while they are engaged in their duty and to do it unexpectedly from behind.  Why did OBJ do this, because he felt a kinship with the security guard in that moment of celebration or because he wished to diminish or deemphasize that persons authority as he was dealing with the LSU player.  OBJ wanted to make this about him and now he has.
Yes, I'm sure obj went through the philosophical connotations of how an ### slap would deminish the authority of the guy telling the players to put out their stoogies in the time it took him to go from arms at his side to making contact with the man's cheeks.  I'm also sure that his conscious intention was to make the situation about himself.

Can we just sit back for a second and think that the most likely scenario was that he's just an idiot who does idiot things without thinking?  There's no real plan, or greater desire, and he's not an evil genius who wants to make everything about him while demeaning authority figures? That maybe he was celebrating and slapped a guy in the ###?  Isn't that, hell I don't know, reasonable?

Can we just sit back for a second and think that the most likely scenario was that he's just an idiot who does idiot things without thinking?  There's no real plan, or greater desire, and he's not an evil genius who wants to make everything about him while demeaning authority figures? That maybe he was celebrating and slapped a guy in the ###?  Isn't that, hell I don't know, reasonable?
Not agreeing with the mentality, but as a New England liberal who has lived in the south for 30 years, and who is aware how things are in the parishes of Louisiana, I'm confident that's why the security tool wants to press charges.  He's offended by the "uppity" famous athlete taking liberties.  And while I think he's being a tool wanting to press charges, OBJ crossed the line and he gets what he gets.  The law is on the tool's side.

Why the #### is an armed security guard in the locker room after a team just won a national championship?? The coaches can’t control the players??
I see you ignored the other part of my question but here is the quote as to why he was there:

Saying it was against building policy, a Mercedes-Benz Superdome police officer was telling LSU football players to extinguish their victory cigars Monday night in the jubilant locker room minutes after winning the national championship when he felt LSU alum and NFL pro Odell Beckham Jr. slap him on the backside.

Yes, I'm sure obj went through the philosophical connotations of how an ### slap would deminish the authority of the guy telling the players to put out their stoogies in the time it took him to go from arms at his side to making contact with the man's cheeks.  I'm also sure that his conscious intention was to make the situation about himself.

He does not seem like the type to me that felt communion of celebration with a security guard.  He seems like the type that likes, no needs to be behind the velvet rope, separated from the admiring and envious masses.  No, he was making a point in my mind.  Also, as for calculation in the moment, no I am sure he did not do much of that, many to most of us do not.  For such matters the many or most of us rely on character, manners, established patterns of behavior to see us through.  By charging him they have now given him a teachable moment so that he can start working on developing some character and good habits.

As for it being about him, he was on the field, paying players while playing it up for the cameras and then he found himself in a college party, in a venue being filmed and broadcast and one where he fully understands that,  while he has been out of college for more than half a decade.  I'd say its about him.  Am I outraged, no.  Do I think it is par for the course for someone I do not respect, yes.  Will the sun rise tomorrow, certainly.

Not agreeing with the mentality, but as a New England liberal who has lived in the south for 30 years, and who is aware how things are in the parishes of Louisiana, I'm confident that's why the security tool wants to press charges.  He's offended by the "uppity" famous athlete taking liberties.  And while I think he's being a tool wanting to press charges, OBJ crossed the line and he gets what he gets.  The law is on the tool's side.
I was thinking that security tool wanted to get it on record so when he sued the crap out of obj later he would get an easy win.  But yeah, I can see this.

He does not seem like the type to me that felt communion of celebration with a security guard.  He seems like the type that likes, no needs to be behind the velvet rope, separated from the admiring and envious masses.  No, he was making a point in my mind.  Also, as for calculation in the moment, no I am sure he did not do much of that, many to most of us do not.  For such matters the many or most of us rely on character, manner, established patterns of behavior to see us through.  By charging him they have now given him a teachable moment so that he can start working on developing some character and good habits.

As for it being about him, he was on the field, paying players while playing it up for the cameras and then he found himself in a college party, in a venue being filmed and broadcast and one where he fully understands that,  while he has been out of college for more than half a decade.  I'd say its about him.  Am I outraged, no.  Do I think it is par for the course for someone I do not respect, yes.  Will the sun rise tomorrow, certainly.
I want to be clear - I think he's an idiot.  He's always been an idiot.  But this is just a continuing example of his idiocy. I don't think it'll have any effect on his behavior. 

As for him being on the field and in the locker room for the celebration, well, wouldn't you be if you could?  Throwing money around is just a part of the "going to the club" party atmosphere that I'm guessing he enjoys.

A lot of times you get crossed signals on was the person a cop or a security guard because cops will work security on the side.

I haven't read the whole thread but I would have to question here what the normal practice is if someone butt slaps a cop? Is it typically to arrest that slapper or is OBJ being held to a different standard? Did they go into details of what sort of slap? Playful? Painful? I mean we have for years seen the manager give the ole fanny pat to the pitcher going out of the game. The intent isn't assault but should the skipper be brought up on assault? There is plenty of video evidence of these acts over the years.

A lot of times you get crossed signals on was the person a cop or a security guard because cops will work security on the side.

I haven't read the whole thread but I would have to question here what the normal practice is if someone butt slaps a cop? Is it typically to arrest that slapper or is OBJ being held to a different standard? Did they go into details of what sort of slap? Playful? Painful? I mean we have for years seen the manager give the ole fanny pat to the pitcher going out of the game. The intent isn't assault but should the skipper be brought up on assault? There is plenty of video evidence of these acts over the years.
I think within the team/coaches etc, that is a social norm and accepted.   Outside the team, probably not so much.  Just my opinion.   

There is link above with a video of the incident. Here it is here..

Link

That's one lucky, 70 year old, 5 foot security-cop-guard-deputy. Gon' git paid!

And OBJ continues to make it damn near impossible to move him in my salary cap league. :kicksrock:

Pipes said:
Yeah OBJ is a diva and a bit of a hot head but come on with this nonsense.  I'm as pro police as just about anyone but this is ridiculous.  This and wanting to arrest players for firing up stogies? 
It was on video and posted everywhere, they can’t not file a report on it. If it wasn’t on camera, no one cares but you can’t have someone famous smacking a cop on the ### and just letting it slide after it goes viral. 

Anyone know what Odell is saying here? 

One ### slap, everyone knows the rules

"And the hits keep on coming for OBJ.    I mean has Dave Portnoy ever been more right about any human than I have been about OBJ?   Everything always has to be about him.  The cameras always have to be on him.   He is the most narcissistic, self absorbed egotistical athlete I’ve ever seen.   Now I know what you’re thinking.  Hey Dave what about Bron Bron.   Well as much as it pains me to give Lebron a compliment at least he wins.  At least he has a track record.   Odell Beckham hasn’t won a playoff game in his life.  Every team he is on stinks.   He throws his coaches, his QBs, his alma mata and now police officers under the bus.   The only thing he has done in his entire career is catch a football with 1 hand in a meaningless game.  He is everything that is wrong with sports.   There should be some rule or law that you need to win before you can talk and act like Odell does.  But he’d probably just break that law just like how he assaulted that police officer."

Hollywood police were called every name in the book, and yet they did nothing.    And they were real cops

Mall cop getting some money for the food court

Doubt this guy ever puts together another great season of football. I am disappointed that I couldn’t rid of his rear end last offseason in my dynasty league. Now I assume he will just rot a spot similar to AB or Josh Gordon.

Anyone know what Odell is saying here? 

One ### slap, everyone knows the rules

"And the hits keep on coming for OBJ.    I mean has Dave Portnoy ever been more right about any human than I have been about OBJ?   Everything always has to be about him.  The cameras always have to be on him.   He is the most narcissistic, self absorbed egotistical athlete I’ve ever seen.   Now I know what you’re thinking.  Hey Dave what about Bron Bron.   Well as much as it pains me to give Lebron a compliment at least he wins.  At least he has a track record.   Odell Beckham hasn’t won a playoff game in his life.  Every team he is on stinks.   He throws his coaches, his QBs, his alma mata and now police officers under the bus.   The only thing he has done in his entire career is catch a football with 1 hand in a meaningless game.  He is everything that is wrong with sports.   There should be some rule or law that you need to win before you can talk and act like Odell does.  But he’d probably just break that law just like how he assaulted that police officer."
In that megaphone clip, that looks like a man on cocaine.  

Former LSU QB Herb Tyler (1995-98) was in LSU's locker room Monday night post-game when Coach Orgeron was addressing the team. Tyler reported that Odell Beckham was also present,  and was disrespectfully whooping it up and yelling while Orgeron was trying to speak and drowning out the coach.

For New Orleans locals, this was on WWL radio yesterday evening about 5:25 p.m. Kristian Garic and Bobby Hebert were on with Tyler.

Makes this video all the more interesting 

OBJ in bed with woman possibly doing cocaine?

I don’t think anything ever came of that video. I remember when it happened and thought the team and nfl Said they were looking into it, but I don’t recall ever hearing anymore about it. 
I don't get the pizza.  If he was doing blow how is he hungry?  Or does the pizza have some other use with a hooker?  Is it the cheese or the pepperoni one uses, or both, or more sinisterly, the crust?

Did you read the article? It explains why he was asking him questions
Are you referring to the part where it explains that the security guard is asking Lewis what's in the bottle?   It just strengthens my point that the security guard was being over the top, hence my Barney Fife reference.  Lewis was just sitting there, not being obnoxious.  There was no real need to grill him about his gatorade bottle. 

I still think OBJ was completely wrong to slap him, but I kinda wanted to slap him too after watching this.  

I don't get the pizza.  If he was doing blow how is he hungry?
None of the pizza had been eaten.  But he looks like he is smoking a blunt and he is talking lethargically like someone high on marijuana and/or really drunk.  People high on cocaine talk quickly.  The girl was probably the one doing the blow.  He is a good wingman trying to get his buddy laid.

it was dumb, but come on.  This wasn't "assault".  The cop wasn't threatened at all.  Would be completely different if it was a female, but locker room butt slaps are common.  

My HS coaches used to slap me on the butt.  I never considered it assault. 

it was dumb, but come on.  This wasn't "assault".  The cop wasn't threatened at all.  Would be completely different if it was a female, but locker room butt slaps are common.  

My HS coaches used to slap me on the butt.  I never considered it assault. 
Putting your hands on someone in any manner is assault. There is zero grey area. 

It seems reasonable when you read that its often expunged for first time offenses. If any of us were to walk up to a police officer, wind up, and smack him her on the rear end... I imagine we would be arrested. I dont expect OBJ to be held to a different standard than any of us. 
Context is every thing.

Rotoworld:

The New Orleans Police Department could withdraw Odell Beckham's arrest warrant.

The officer involved does not want to press charges on Beckham, which should put this story to bed. For those who don't know, Odell smacked an officer on the backside while celebrating LSU's National Championship in the team's locker room. The police, the NFL, and the Browns were investigating the matter, but it looks like nothing will actually happen.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 18, 2020, 2:03 PM ET

Odell Beckham underwent successful surgery to repair a core muscle injury.

Beckham played through his core muscle injury throughout the year, inevitably finishing with his fewest catches (74), receiving yards (1,035), and touchdowns (4) since his reduced four-game 2017 campaign that ended with a gruesome fractured ankle. The Browns suggested his recovery timeline will be similar to Kareem Hunt's, who underwent sports hernia surgery in training camp and was clicking on all cylinders by the time his eight-game suspension had ended. Beckham turns 28 in November.

SOURCE: Cleveland Browns on Twitter

Jan 21, 2020, 11:12 AM ET

Scott Barrett‏ @ScottBarrettDFB @ProFootballDoc

Hey Doc,

How much do you think OBJ's 'Core Muscle Injury' contributed to his down year?

Are there any examples of players fighting through such an injury without any dropoff in performance?

6:25 PM - 22 Jan 2020

David J. Chao‏Verified account @ProFootballDoc

Hard to know how symptomatic @obj was but this injury does affect one's ability to accelerate/decelerate and get into/out of cuts. Have to believe it was a factor.

Users who are viewing this thread