What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashee Rice, KC (3 Viewers)

I really hope that's the law. IMO, fleeing should not be rewarded if you were intoxicated.
Please note, I’m guessing. But if they’re saying he’s being charged with it, that’s gotta be why.
Nowhere in the link does it mention DUI or DWI. It was only mentioned in here recently by @Pigskin Fanatic and @Big Nate
Also, no charges related to the weed found in the cars although additional charges can always be added later

This seems like a fair assessment. It feels right that lack of prior record (if so) could often result in plea agreement to reduced charges. He doesn’t mention degree of injuries (or I missed) but have to believe that plays a huge role in prosecute/plea. If he’d seriously hurt or killed anyone, that would demand some measure of justice. He’s so lucky. I’m not sure myself what the punishment should be for a miraculously fortunate fool whose reckless conduct, for the most part, causes only his own financial catastrophe.

Last edited:
I really hope that's the law. IMO, fleeing should not be rewarded if you were intoxicated.
Please note, I’m guessing. But if they’re saying he’s being charged with it, that’s gotta be why.
Nowhere in the link does it mention DUI or DWI. It was only mentioned in here recently by @Pigskin Fanatic and @Big Nate
Also, no charges related to the weed found in the cars although additional charges can always be added later
As I read numerous times throughout this Rashee ordeal, even though weed is illegal in Texas, with such a small amount found, it may not even be prosecuted. If they had found 10.8 ounces, maybe, or if they had found 10.8 pounds, for sure. But 10.8 grams? Heck, with a nice bong, my wife and I could polish that off in just a few hits!

What I see is mostly posters that have some stake in Rice/dynasty or would be willing to jump in if his value fell low enough...that's fine but it doesn't provide neutral POV
We have many folks putting on their legal caps and capes, let's cut thru the BS, he broke the law and put others in danger with his reckless behavior, period.
And for those who need a refresher on Goodell and how he typically operates...
"Let's see, you fled the scene of the accident Rashee? That's a couple games right there....
You were racing in a sports car, involved in an accident and had weapons/weed/alcohol, etc...that's gonna be a couple more games"

My math is at 4 and he might go well past that. Maybe 1 game per felony.
Personally, I'm always ready to forgive and move forward but he was caught on video doing these things, Goodell doesn't need the courts to convict Rice, he has his own questions that will have to be answered and that's likely how Goodell will punish him. If the courts happen to convict Rice and he served time in jail, all the easier for Goodell to pound the gavel down on him. But make no mistake, Goodell doesn't care what the verdicts are or what evidence is allowed in court, he cares what his internal investigation finds out.

Skyy Moore- 2nd Rd pick '22
Rashee Rice- 2nd Rd pick '23
The Chiefs might need to invest more picks at WR

My :2cents: (yes I have Rice on a few teams)

Rice is very fortunate no one was hurt and if it was only 10grams of pot and no gun I don't see him doing any jail time or missing much time on the field. Most likely the charges will be reduced and he gets probation and financial restitution. As for the NFL I think a 4 game suspension is about the max he is likely to get, maybe gets reduced to 2 or 3. He really is fortunate no one was killed or seriously injured and hopefully he learns from it.

Strictly a guess, but I'm assuming that whatever suspension the league hands down on him WON'T be appealed, especially if the courts go light on him.

League gives him 8, he'll be advised to take it as stay quiet.

Based on nothing... But I feel like when you face these charges, fled, and basically "owned up to it" you gotta take the hit from one of the two "laws"

Rice is very fortunate no one was hurt and if it was only 10grams of pot and no gun I don't see him doing any jail time or missing much time on the field. Most likely the charges will be reduced and he gets probation and financial restitution. As for the NFL I think a 4 game suspension is about the max he is likely to get, maybe gets reduced to 2 or 3. He really is fortunate no one was killed or seriously injured and hopefully he learns from it.
And what better way could there possibly be to teach a young man and hopefully deter others from doing the same in the future than a slap on the wrist and a two game suspension?

I’m not saying that you’re wrong, unfortunately, I’m just saying that maybe a more substantial consequence for these kinds of actions would be more effective. It shouldn’t come down to “but did they die” when it comes to the difference between a two game or a lifetime suspension.

This is the world we live in. (Ohh, ohh, ohh.)

What I see is mostly posters that have some stake in Rice/dynasty or would be willing to jump in if his value fell low enough...that's fine but it doesn't provide neutral POV
We have many folks putting on their legal caps and capes, let's cut thru the BS, he broke the law and put others in danger with his reckless behavior, period.
And for those who need a refresher on Goodell and how he typically operates...
"Let's see, you fled the scene of the accident Rashee? That's a couple games right there....
You were racing in a sports car, involved in an accident and had weapons/weed/alcohol, etc...that's gonna be a couple more games"

My math is at 4 and he might go well past that. Maybe 1 game per felony.
Personally, I'm always ready to forgive and move forward but he was caught on video doing these things, Goodell doesn't need the courts to convict Rice, he has his own questions that will have to be answered and that's likely how Goodell will punish him. If the courts happen to convict Rice and he served time in jail, all the easier for Goodell to pound the gavel down on him. But make no mistake, Goodell doesn't care what the verdicts are or what evidence is allowed in court, he cares what his internal investigation finds out.

Skyy Moore- 2nd Rd pick '22
Rashee Rice- 2nd Rd pick '23
The Chiefs might need to invest more picks at WR
OR stop picking WR in the 2nd Rd. :)

I only explained that it would be hard to prove if he was DUI due to the fact he fled the scene. But yes that is why those penalties are so high because it assumes you are trying to hide something. I never said he was intoxicated.

I’m curious what sort of precedents they have for similar situations. If they normally throw the book at guys doing this, they’ll have a hard time pleaing it down I would think. If they usually go easy, then he’s probably ok.

8 felonies is a lot to reduce and just walk away from.

And what better way could there possibly be to teach a young man and hopefully deter others from doing the same in the future than a slap on the wrist and a two game suspension?

I’m not saying that you’re wrong, unfortunately, I’m just saying that maybe a more substantial consequence for these kinds of actions would be more effective. It shouldn’t come down to “but did they die” when it comes to the difference between a two game or a lifetime suspension.

I don't agree we should penalize people on what "could" have happened, but yes a lifetime suspension would really teach him something.

Ezekiel Elliott got into stuff that I couldn't believe he got out of. Manziel a time or two.

(Suggested Google if ya don't remember)

I wouldn't be surprised....

At least 1 witness at the scene said on video the guys involved were stuffing guns down their pants.

At least 1 witness at the scene said on video the guys involved were stuffing guns down their pants.
Unfortunately I don’t think anyone had their phone out recording that quickly, so nothing will happen there probably. They were making sure everyone was OK. What a concept

Unfortunately I don’t think anyone had their phone out recording that quickly, so nothing will happen there probably. They were making sure everyone was OK. What a concept
Is video now required as evidence? If there is a second corroborating eyewitness then why would nothing happen?

And probably not illegal in Texas

I’m curious what sort of precedents they have for similar situations. If they normally throw the book at guys doing this, they’ll have a hard time pleaing it down I would think. If they usually go easy, then he’s probably ok.

I despise charges like this. One charge based on the severity of the event.

Is video now required as evidence? If there is a second corroborating eyewitness then why would nothing happen?
I guess if there was an actual trial, maybe it would matter, but that’s assuming the gun was illegally obtained.

I guess if there was an actual trial, maybe it would matter, but that’s assuming the gun was illegally obtained.
We don't know anything yet, but the way those guys bailed, if weapons were present, I am betting 2 things - they were not legally obtained, and it was more than one

We don't know anything yet, but the way those guys bailed, if weapons were present, I am betting 2 things - they were not legally obtained, and it was more than one
Oh, I agree with you

I'd bet it is pleaded down to misdemeanors and community service, and he gets 4 games because it all looks pretty bad

Leonard Little killed a woman picking up her teenaged son from a concert in a DUI/speeding/reckless driving incident. Famously, when it happened, he got out of his car and was cursing what had happened to his car, not even checking on the woman he hit (who was dead).

He only got 8 games and spent his whole career blocks away from where the accident happened in St. Louis. So, 2-4 games max seems about right for Rice compared to Little.

I'm betting they were just toy guns they were buying for their kids. And if those guys DO have kids, I am betting they have a LOT of kids.

I mean, who rents a Lambo crossover, if you don't have a lot of kids? Like, if you didn't have a lot of kids, just get a regular Lambo. Who needs all that extra space? It can only be one reason.

It is a complex situation and why it took so long to get through all the evidence. You might not like it but that isn't how it works as there are different "events" that happened with multiple vehicles/groups of people.

It is a complex situation and why it took so long to get through all the evidence. You might not like it but that isn't how it works as there are different "events" that happened with multiple vehicles/groups of people.
If they want to throw the book at you it would be a ticket for speeding at Main and 1st, main and 2nd, Main and 3rd, etc. I know they do this for leverage for plea bargaining, I just thinks it's crap when someone does one or two things and collects 20 charges.

I don't agree we should penalize people on what "could" have happened, but yes a lifetime suspension would really teach him something.
So your punishment for how he handled this situation is two games? Noted.

Edit: how did you come up with your numbers is what I’m curious about. Since you don’t want to penalize “could haves”. Do you have other similar situations to base your proposed punishment on? Or is it just what sounds good to you and your fantasy team?

Last edited:
I'd bet it is pleaded down to misdemeanors and community service, and he gets 4 games because it all looks pretty bad

Leonard Little killed a woman picking up her teenaged son from a concert in a DUI/speeding/reckless driving incident. Famously, when it happened, he got out of his car and was cursing what had happened to his car, not even checking on the woman he hit (who was dead).

He only got 8 games and spent his whole career blocks away from where the accident happened in St. Louis. So, 2-4 games max seems about right for Rice compared to Little.
In more recent history (aka when Roger was commish) Donte Stallworth committed DUI manslaughter and was suspended for one season.

If they want to throw the book at you it would be a ticket for speeding at Main and 1st, main and 2nd, Main and 3rd, etc. I know they do this for leverage for plea bargaining, I just thinks it's crap when someone does one or two things and collects 20 charges.
They "do it this way" because killing 8 people is way worse than killing one person.

They "do it this way" because killing 8 people is way worse than killing one person.
Not sure anyone died here. When a kid gets caught doing donuts on someones front yard should there be a charge for each blade of grass killed? If I cause an 18 pile car pile up should get 54 pts on my license instead of 3?

Whenever there is clear video showing the commission of a dangerous crime with injuries compounded by the perpetrators leaving the scene without regard to their victims I think the penalty by the NFL will be substantial. The mystery bags that were carried away help exacerbate a punitive mindset.

The video sullies the NFL’ image. I see a minimum 6 game suspension but 8 games may be what they end up on.

Not sure anyone died here. When a kid gets caught doing donuts on someones front yard should there be a charge for each blade of grass killed? If I cause an 18 pile car pile up should get 54 pts on my license instead of 3?
It's not so much about the suspect as it is about the victim(s). If a man murders 5 people, he doesn't and shouldn't just get one catch-all murder charge. Each victim had his rights, in this example their right to life, taken away by the guilty party. Each violation of each victims right to live is a separate incident in the eyes of the law, and should be. It's not an attempt to "throw the book" at the guilty party, it's a civil duty to protect each victims impacted right.

As you say, this is not murder, but each victim was impacted differently and the law will take note of such things. That said, it is not uncommon for prosecutors to consolidate charges based upon their discretion and the will of the impacted victims.

Listen, I know rules are rules... It's written... it's "law" by your employer and they have to be followed...

But when I see stuff like this, a total disregard for other lives... Or players beating women/girlfriends/wives/kids... Guns and such...

It really makes me sad that the hardest example the league set, was with Josh Gordon. A man that sat alone, smoked pot and drank a cup or two of sizzurp. That's who they chose to tear down. Forever sad.

So you go obtuse mode when I drop a hypothetical but then use two of your own to fit your narrative, nice. Neither of what you mentioned are criminal offenses. But if that 18 car pileup is caused because you are drunk and 8 people die then yes you deserve 8 charges of vehicular homicide.

So your punishment for how he handled this situation is two games? Noted.

Edit: how did you come up with your numbers is what I’m curious about. Since you don’t want to penalize “could haves”. Do you have other similar situations to base your proposed punishment on? Or is it just what sounds good to you and your fantasy team?
Sigh...

Dude, I simply speculated on what I think will happen and afterward replied in kind to your less than nice reply to my post. In my younger days on this board I'd happily go down this road with you, but as I get older I am less inclined to squabbling. Peace

Last edited:
Deep breaths everyone. No point arguing with strangers over this stuff. The legal system is a convoluted complicated thing. It's why lawyers who go to school for 8 years studying it still don't know it all. We never will. And then trying to figure out how the NFL will handle it is like trying to grab water with one hand; there is next to no logical consistency, past crimes and punishments seemingly have 0 bearing on it. I'm trying to let go of similar frustrations I'm currently having trying to understand all the intricacies of tax codes for filing this year, especially because I lived in 3 separate places over the course of the year, including two different states, one of which is PA which does taxes imo very differently than NJ, and bought a new house on top of it. As much as I hate just blindly paying whatever bills get mailed to me, I'm understanding why that's the route 90% of individuals take lol.

No problem in speculating on the Rice incident; that's really all there is to do at this point and that's what internet forums are pretty much based around. As well as for voicing frustrations; like here with both the legal and NFL systems and how punishments are determined and delivered. But let's avoid asking one another to try and justify these statements, because at best they are all just guesses, and most are frankly just opinions/feelings. Not to get all mushy on ya, but I've found trying to live with the policy that "all feelings are valid" and assuming good, honest intent by those who voice those feelings keeps quarrels to a minimum. We can in return still think other's feelings are misplaced, ignorant, invalid, etc. And then the best reply tends to be "agree to disagree". Despite years of evidence to the contrary, for whatever reasons humans still angrily debate as though they will ever change another's mind on the internet haha.

Hopefully those injured in the accident make a full recovery, and regardless of punishment, Rice learns and grows from this whole thing. Regardless of individual beliefs on what the punishment should be; we should acknowledge people are capable of making positive changes after bad decisions even when there are no consequences delivered. Similarly, many people face very harsh consequences for their actions and never change. Similar to an addict in recovery; Rice will have to decide for himself how he wants to live his life moving forward and that singular intrinsic decision holds more weight than just about everything else in the situation. IMO, anything outside of that is just desiring to see punishment for punishments sake, and gets kinda mentally unhealthy; at least considering none of us here are in any way actually involved in the initial incident, or the systems handling the incident.

On a lighter note; my one league owner in Sleeper, where you can give the player nicknames, renamed him "Crashee Rice". I thought that was pretty funny.

Edit: to make clear, this is not meant to be condescending, more to the contrary actually; I was up in arms last year about Kamara's incident as well as his consequences. The situation dragged on for months and really all the anger, frustration, arguing, etc. here and other places I put myself through over that time all added up to what I'm guessing were several hours of unproductive negativity in my life. Over something which basically had 0 impact on me or anyone I love and care about. The above comment is as much for myself as anyone else.

Last edited:
Despite years of evidence to the contrary, for whatever reasons humans still angrily debate as though they will ever change another's mind on the internet haha

One of my favorite jokes that I often share with my brother, sisters and nephews cuz they can't help themselves from online debating...

A woman in bed in a dark bedroom says to her husband who's hunched over his laptop, "Honey, it's late. Come to bed."
He replies, "I can't. Someone is wrong on the internet." :)

Listen, I know rules are rules... It's written... it's "law" by your employer and they have to be followed...

But when I see stuff like this, a total disregard for other lives... Or players beating women/girlfriends/wives/kids... Guns and such...

It really makes me sad that the hardest example the league set, was with Josh Gordon. A man that sat alone, smoked pot and drank a cup or two of sizzurp. That's who they chose to tear down. Forever sad.
we know weed isn't too bad for you alone, and many states have legalized it... but also many places of work have made it a policy to not smoke; therefore if you want to work for them you have to obey their policies. Gordon never hurt anyone but he was also given many chances and just couldn't stop doing one simple thing.

Was going 119 mph just before the crash. Not sure it means anything legally or to the league, just passing it on.

The Chiefs should cut him just for being an idiot. You make your living with your body and you put it at risk like that. So dumb.
It is incredibly dumb, but the Chiefs should absolutely not cut him, unless this takes a worse turn. They are a business, and keeping a good player on the roster helps their bottom line.

Was going 119 mph just before the crash. Not sure it means anything legally or to the league, just passing it on.

The Chiefs should cut him just for being an idiot. You make your living with your body and you put it at risk like that. So dumb.
It is incredibly dumb, but the Chiefs should absolutely not cut him, unless this takes a worse turn. They are a business, and keeping a good player on the roster helps their bottom line.
I was kind of kidding…

Users who are viewing this thread