What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Robert Woods, HOU (2 Viewers)

Robert Woods caught 4-of-5 targets for 39 yards in the Titans' Week 2 loss to the Bills.​

Woods was one of several Titans players to struggle on offense in this one. He finished second on the team in receiving and turned in a 17-yard gain on the Titans' first play in the third quarter but was held in check all evening. Woods' 2022 hasn't gotten off to the start we hoped for thus far, as the veteran receiver has just five receptions for 52 yards on the year. At best, Woods is a deep flex play in Week 3 against the Raiders.
Sep 20, 2022, 12:25 AM ET

A bit disappointing, but I still feel there is hope he turns it around. The OC needs to understand Henry cannot do it by himself. They will have to pass.

As long as Todd Downing is the OC in Tennessee, I don't see it turning around anytime soon. Dude absolutely smothered the Raiders offense when he was elevated to OC there.

A bit disappointing, but I still feel there is hope he turns it around. The OC needs to understand Henry cannot do it by himself. They will have to pass.

Seems like a lot to ask of Woods but as my uncle used to say, "He's the best there is 'til the best comes along"...

Robert Woods caught 4-of-9 targets for 85 yards in the Titans' Week 3 victory over the Raiders.

Woods did most of his damage in the first half, shaking free for multiple chunk gains down the sideline. His largest play came against tight coverage along the sideline, where he broke free from Roc Ya-Sin for a gain of 41 yards. Derrick Henry would punch the ball in two plays later to send the Titans up 14-3. Pass volume dried up in the second half for the entire offense, but the Raiders never threatened until late in the fourth quarter. Fantasy managers can rest easy seeing Woods more than double his yearly target total in Week 3. Woods could find more room over the intermediate areas of the field against the prevent defense of the Indianapolis Colts in Week 4.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Robert Woods caught 3-of-4 targets for 26 yards in the Titans' Week 7 win over the Colts.

Woods has topped 40 yards in a game once this year. He has consistently reached but never exceeded four catches. Not cut out to be a team's top receiver, Woods isn't doing much with Treylon Burks sidelined. In a low-volume passing attack, he is nothing more than a WR5 for the Titans' Week 8 matchup with Houston.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Titans.com's Jim Wyatt writes that he doesn't see Robert Woods returning "at his current price tag" for 2023.​

Woods is scheduled to be on a $14.6 million cap figure for 2023 and the Titans can cut him and save more than $12 million. There's legitimate upside for Woods to be better in 2023 after coming off a mid-season ACL tear in 2021 and barely being ready for the 2022 season. But with Woods turning 31 in April, it is wildly unlikely that the Titans keep him without a pay cut.
SOURCE: Titans.com
Jan 31, 2023, 1:14 PM ET

Woods has to convince teams he still has it.
He struggled to get open against good corners and had a lot of drops.
He's at a bad age to have those issues develop

Cut today

NFL insider Jordan Schultz reports the Titans released Robert Woods.​

It was a forgettable season for Woods in Tennessee, where the declining veteran caught 49 passes for 487 yards and posted a career-worst 9.9 yards per reception. Woods was set to be a $14.6 million hit against the salary cap in 2023 -- far too high for a veteran who profiles as a team's WR3 or WR4. Look for Woods to ink a one-year deal for a team that could use him in a complementary role.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Feb 22, 2023 at 12:52 PM ET

Titans just don’t do well with veteran receivers. I was excited for Julio and then Woods.

Would be a nice roll of the dice as a low-cost depth addition to a team that is close like a Philly, Dallas or Cincy.
or GIants. They don't exactly have a lot of proven talent at wideout

Agreed big picture about them but I think the G-men need a lot more than Woods...Woods is on the back nine and IMO his best fit would be as #4 type of guy for someone who is close and hope he has something left in the tank.

Would be a nice roll of the dice as a low-cost depth addition to a team that is close like a Philly, Dallas or Cincy.

Agreed big picture about them but I think the G-men need a lot more than Woods...Woods is on the back nine and IMO his best fit would be as #4 type of guy for someone who is close and hope he has something left in the tank.
Yeah the only problem Woods solves now for a team is "We need a veteran WR to be a mentor for the young guys".

When McVay dumped him coming off a SB winning season so he could toss the bag at Allen Robinson should have been a sign of where he's at.

Yeah the only problem Woods solves now for a team is "We need a veteran WR to be a mentor for the young guys".

I think he can be a bit more (unless he is legit washed up but the fact he had 53 receptions last year may mean he's got a little left)...I think he is a guy who can make a play or two in some big games...something like what Phillip Dorsett gave the Pats in the 2019 playoffs.

I've read a lot of value talk about him on Twitter.
He'll be 31 in April. He had the ACL tear and was nowhere near as effective.

And sure, it can take a year to get back to being yourself. And sure, the Titans offense wasn't good at passing the football.

But on a Titans team void of pass catchers, he averaged just over 3 catches and 30 yards per game. I worry the combination of the ACL tear and age have caught up to him. I think he'll get signed as a veteran WR3 or 4 for a team.

I get that the price is going to be dirt cheap, but I Also think I'd rather go after a young player and hope for the off chance they hit.

Agreed. I don't think he's washed yet. I do wonder if run heavier teams might put a higher premium on a guy like Woods. Like I think Atlanta would be an interesting fit. Run blocking is extra valuable to them, and he can also serve a mentor to London/Pitts.

I think he can be a bit more (unless he is legit washed up but the fact he had 53 receptions last year may mean he's got a little left)...I think he is a guy who can make a play or two in some big games...something like what Phillip Dorsett gave the Pats in the 2019 playoffs.
53 catches but 5.8 yards per target. A career low a considerable amount. He was between 8-9.4 during his peak Bills and Rams years. He had a 58% catch percentage which is really bad for a guy running so many shallow routes. I don't even know where that ranks because the list I have for catch % only goes down 100 players. The advanced stats look bad as well. I know the Titans had maybe the thinnest receiving group in the NFL but even then I feel like every Woods target was a win for the opposing defenses. Unless it's just a matter of fully recovering from his knee injury, I just can't see how he is going to be better in 2023.

53 catches but 5.8 yards per target. A career low a considerable amount. He was between 8-9.4 during his peak Bills and Rams years. He had a 58% catch percentage which is really bad for a guy running so many shallow routes. I don't even know where that ranks because the list I have for catch % only goes down 100 players. The advanced stats look bad as well. I know the Titans had maybe the thinnest receiving group in the NFL but even then I feel like every Woods target was a win for the opposing defenses. Unless it's just a matter of fully recovering from his knee injury, I just can't see how he is going to be better in 2023.

i don’t disagree but I am not advocating about him being a big piece of an offense…he can be a role player for a good team with solid experience since he has has won a title and played in another Super Bowl.

Last edited:
its possible his numbers were a bit over inflated in the scheme McVay ran and this guy probably won't be there again.

i don’t disagree but I am not advocating about him being a big piece of an offense…he can be a role player for a good team with solid experience since he has has won a title and played in another Super Bowl.
Fair. If he’s willing to take on a WR4 role and limited usage at the veteran minimum, why not.

Last edited:
Texans is a surprising spot. I'm gonna take that as he's gonna be the veteran for the young guys to lean on, and that Cooks is traded soon, probably sometime this weekend.

Woods isn't washed, but he's limited in what he offers at this point. Maybe 50 catches, but a good guy for a rookie QB to work with I suppose.

I thought he'd be a guy who took a 3/4 job on a contender, so at least from a fantasy perspective, this is probably better for him I guess.

Texans is a surprising spot. I'm gonna take that as he's gonna be the veteran for the young guys to lean on, and that Cooks is traded soon, probably sometime this weekend.

Woods isn't washed, but he's limited in what he offers at this point. Maybe 50 catches, but a good guy for a rookie QB to work with I suppose.

I thought he'd be a guy who took a 3/4 job on a contender, so at least from a fantasy perspective, this is probably better for him I guess.

He turns 31 next month and went 50/500/2 on a team where he was the #1 for half the season. If that’s not washed I’m not sure what is. No disrespect to Bobby Trees tho, I was higher on him than most for several years and was rewarded. I like that guy.

Love it for Pierce.

Titans had a bottom 3 passing offense last year and he’s a year removed from the ACL recovery now, we’ll see if he has anything left for a rookie QB to take advantage of. If not, I am guessing he can be easily cut after this year.

He turns 31 next month and went 50/500/2 on a team where he was the #1 for half the season. If that’s not washed I’m not sure what is. No disrespect to Bobby Trees tho, I was higher on him than most for several years and was rewarded. I like that guy.
To me, washed means he brings nothing to the table, and is a waste of money/roster space. Woods isn't a difference maker, but he can still contribute, and I think he isn't as bad as he looked a year ago. He was coming off ACL surgery on a team that had no passing game for almost half the season. He's arguably the best run blocking WR in the NFL. As a #3 WR, I think you could do a lot worse.

All that being said, he's not a guy I'd have made it a priority to sign, and for probably 2-3 million more than he should have gotten.

We can argue over the definition of “washed” but he’s not someone I’m interested in having in a fantasy roster and he’s not someone I want my NFL team hitting the cap for $7-$8M.

Yes, he’s an awesome blocker and probs a good veteran presence. Miss me at that price. But Houston is doomed anyway.

Is there any juice left to squeeze in bestball?

Don't you want guys capable of monster days? I'm not so sure he's got that in him. He's probably a consistently below average scorer, depth when things go awry in leagues where you start a fixed amount of players and have to make start/sit decisions while being low on guys.

Robert Woods (foot) is expected to miss Week 8 against the Panthers.
Woods has come out of the Texans’ Week 7 bye with back-to-back DNPs, and longtime beat writer Aaron Wilson reports he will sit. It’s good news for a returning Tank Dell (concussion), who himself was having to deal with a returning Noah Brown. Woods’ absence keeps Dell locked into three-receiver sets and gives him more runway to resume his recently-interrupted hot play from earlier this season. If you have been keeping Woods around in 12-14 team PPR leagues, he is a safe drop at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread