What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tre Nixon, NE (1 Viewer)

Really?  Do we really care about who BB likes at WR?  This guy is horrible at evaluating WR talent.  I'm talking about going back many years, even with the Super Bowl wins.

Why do I get the distinct feeling that this particular player thread might just sink to the back pages of FBG?

Parker, Algholor, Meyers, Thornton, Bourne, and Nixon? Maybe so, but that's already a pretty crowded room there. 

Why do I get the distinct feeling that this particular player thread might just sink to the back pages of FBG?

Parker, Algholor, Meyers, Thornton, Bourne, and Nixon? Maybe so, but that's already a pretty crowded room there. 
I also don't think enough noise is being made here about the lack of an oc over in pats land.

I also don't think enough noise is being made here about the lack of an oc over in pats land.
I think there is too much noise about not having an OC. They’ve had seasons without an OC before. They’ve lost OCs before. They still have BB. It’s not an ideal situation, but it’s not like they have to run a Pop Warner offense. 

I think there is too much noise about not having an OC. They’ve had seasons without an OC before. They’ve lost OCs before. They still have BB. It’s not an ideal situation, but it’s not like they have to run a Pop Warner offense. 
Judge might be the oc.   They'd have to run a Tecmo Bowl offense.

Just throwing this out there . . . not providing an opinion yet . . . will have to see if this continues. But Nixon was the unanimous best player on the field throughout OTA's / minicamp according to multiple beat guys. He caught absolutely everything and made circus catch after circus catch. Inside, outside, deep throws, underneath, well covered . . . it didn't matter. Nixon and Jones reminded the reporters of the chemistry / bond / sixth sense Brady had with Edelman.

The thing is, he doesn't really have a true role / position. He can play some in the slot, but he is not a true slot receiver. He can get open across all three levels, but he is pretty thin (6'2", 180 lbs). I've seen some comparisons to Antonio Brown (body type and style of play). He's someone to keep an eye on and monitor. Bear in mind they traded for Parker, drafted Thornton, and still have Meyers, Bourne, and Agholor.

Just throwing this out there . . . not providing an opinion yet . . . will have to see if this continues. But Nixon was the unanimous best player on the field throughout OTA's / minicamp according to multiple beat guys. He caught absolutely everything and made circus catch after circus catch. Inside, outside, deep throws, underneath, well covered . . . it didn't matter. Nixon and Jones reminded the reporters of the chemistry / bond / sixth sense Brady had with Edelman.

The thing is, he doesn't really have a true role / position. He can play some in the slot, but he is not a true slot receiver. He can get open across all three levels, but he is pretty thin (6'2", 180 lbs). I've seen some comparisons to Antonio Brown (body type and style of play). He's someone to keep an eye on and monitor. Bear in mind they traded for Parker, drafted Thornton, and still have Meyers, Bourne, and Agholor.

Will be interesting to see this play out...the kid lit it up in this past camp but if he is to make the team, he probably needs to knock out one of the 5 you mentioned...Agholor is the most likely candidate in that scenario.

Will be interesting to see this play out...the kid lit it up in this past camp but if he is to make the team, he probably needs to knock out one of the 5 you mentioned...Agholor is the most likely candidate in that scenario.
The spot and playing time that I have seen people speculating him replacing is Meyers. The logic being that he would potentially be an upgrade over Meyers, they likely won't be bringing Meyers back next year, they expect Agholor to do better in Year 2 (that's the team's opinion, not mine), and no one is going to take on Agholor's contract.

As I mentioned last post, Nixon doesn't have a defined role. Maybe he becomes the Swiss army knife third or fourth receiver that they use in a lot of different ways or situationally this year. Then next year they move on from Meyers and Agholor and targets start to open up. I doubt they just release Agholor (unless he shows absolutely nothing in training camp). They would eat $10 million to gain $4.9 million in cap space by cutting Agholor. Big picture, Thornton likely is the guy that makes Agholor expendable (at least so they hope).

I agree with you (from other discussions) that they need to open up the passing game to stay competitive with so many other teams having more firepower offensively (and NE's D taking a step backwards). I don't think they will be able to win many games 17-13. I would expect them to have to win several games 34-31. I want them to utilize / target Bourne more. He was their most explosive receiving option last year. Parker doesn't move the needle much for me. He's probably a decent 2nd or 3rd receiver, but on a team with a bunch of 2nd or 3rd receivers, not sure he will help much. I don't consider Parker a go to WR1 by any stretch.

The spot and playing time that I have seen people speculating him replacing is Meyers. The logic being that he would potentially be an upgrade over Meyers, they likely won't be bringing Meyers back next year, they expect Agholor to do better in Year 2 (that's the team's opinion, not mine), and no one is going to take on Agholor's contract.

As I mentioned last post, Nixon doesn't have a defined role. Maybe he becomes the Swiss army knife third or fourth receiver that they use in a lot of different ways or situationally this year. Then next year they move on from Meyers and Agholor and targets start to open up. I doubt they just release Agholor (unless he shows absolutely nothing in training camp). They would eat $10 million to gain $4.9 million in cap space by cutting Agholor. Big picture, Thornton likely is the guy that makes Agholor expendable (at least so they hope).

I agree with you (from other discussions) that they need to open up the passing game to stay competitive with so many other teams having more firepower offensively (and NE's D taking a step backwards). I don't think they will be able to win many games 17-13. I would expect them to have to win several games 34-31. I want them to utilize / target Bourne more. He was their most explosive receiving option last year. Parker doesn't move the needle much for me. He's probably a decent 2nd or 3rd receiver, but on a team with a bunch of 2nd or 3rd receivers, not sure he will help much. I don't consider Parker a go to WR1 by any stretch.

When you say Meyers do you think they would trade him this offseason?  He is too good to cut...agree that they don't have a #1 this year...I like the Parker addition because it really improves their depth, but he is not a #1...also agree about Bourne, will be interesting to see how much more upside he has...overall this is not a high-octane offense, but they should be improved and be able to be much more effective than last year.

When you say Meyers do you think they would trade him this offseason?  He is too good to cut...agree that they don't have a #1 this year...I like the Parker addition because it really improves their depth, but he is not a #1...also agree about Bourne, will be interesting to see how much more upside he has...overall this is not a high-octane offense, but they should be improved and be able to be much more effective than last year.
They won't just release Meyers. If they were to do anything, it would be a late training camp trade. Something typical BB, like a 5th round pick and a pick swap in the 6th. I don't think they will do that, as he has a cheap contract this year (and is a reliable target for Mac). But Meyers apparently is the player that seems most similar to Nixon (if the Nixon hype proves to be legit). I still have heard rumblings that the Pats could explore potential trades for Harris (like they did with Michel last year). I wouldn't do that one either, but BB has moved guys in the last year of their deals before.

They won't just release Meyers. If they were to do anything, it would be a late training camp trade. Something typical BB, like a 5th round pick and a pick swap in the 6th. I don't think they will do that, as he has a cheap contract this year (and is a reliable target for Mac). But Meyers apparently is the player that seems most similar to Nixon (if the Nixon hype proves to be legit). I still have heard rumblings that the Pats could explore potential trades for Harris (like they did with Michel last year). I wouldn't do that one either, but BB has moved guys in the last year of their deals before.
I would rather keep those guys unless you are getting a quality return…they only help Mac’s development and they just are not in the position they once were to make these type of deals.

Users who are viewing this thread