What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

XFL 2.1 - the re-re-reboot (1 Viewer)

Per a source of mine in WWE this is great to hear already. Philadelphia already lined up a domain name for a possible XFL team for as early as next season 

sources; VKM is thinking about hiring Linda McMahon back as interim CEO. This is because XFL has been successful and work has more than tripled in a week... more to come

Last edited by a moderator:
The offenses need to get a lot more creative for this to work. Are there any mobile QBs out there?
There's a certain someone who sued the NFL recently out there. if he was truly ever serious wanting to play again this is where he can put his money where his mouth is. I doubt XFL would hire him though. ANy news of Matt McGloin being released after his display the other day?

There's a certain someone who sued the NFL recently out there. if he was truly ever serious wanting to play again this is where he can put his money where his mouth is. I doubt XFL would hire him though. ANy news of Matt McGloin being released after his display the other day?
I am not sure he really wants to play in the NFL yet alone the XFL for a fraction of the money.

I am not sure he really wants to play in the NFL yet alone the XFL for a fraction of the money.
He definitely won't go to a league where people are out for KO-shots and he could be the MVP and it wouldn't matter. But the main reason is what the commish said:

"We spoke with his representative, and the salary requirements that were broached in that conversation were exorbitant and certainly out of our range."
I mean no one is getting paid in the XFL from an NFL players standpoint.

A kid like Nathan Rourke from Ohio would be interesting. Solid 3 year starter with 7500 yards passing, 60 passing TDs, 20 INTs  and 2600 rushing yards, 49 rushing TDs. He doesn’t seem to have any interest from the NFL. XFL needs to get someone in who can run a read option offense and be more creative.

Ilov80s said:
I was being a smart ### to an extent here. I always believed he never had any intention continuing his career. Just giving lip service to all the SJW supporters he had. I believe he knew his goose was cooke so he tried something to blame others. There is other instances where I believe he was never genuine either but we've already all discussed this by now. My point is his fans need to see the logistics and realize he never had any intent to continue playing so let it go. I believe he's asking for an outrageous salary intentionally knowing they won't give it to him. I just wish someone would call his bluff and see what happens next. It be pretty entertaining to say the least

So many practice squad players are uninspiring in the NFL, that I regularly think why doesn't an NFL team sign this guy while watching the XFL and last year the AAF.

There has been some exceptional coaching and play design in this league and in the AAF. Mike Singletary's D in the AAF was awesome and June Jones and Stoops' offense in the XFL. Ya gotta take in that they don't have a guy that can do this and a guy that can do that, so they're doing this other thing. Drawing up plays to make players successful is sooo underscored by NFL systems these days. If we're gonna be snobs and say these players can't make the NFL, then I don't see why an NFL staff can't watch these games and steal some coaching ideas.

Most of all, have any of you had the unfortunate experience of watching a bad team lose many games and just hearing the coach talk about the system and how they must execute and...gimme the Bengals running some of this stuff or the Browns or Titans during their lean years. The square peg round hole forcing the issue stuff is maddening but this....this is coaching at it's best and I'm really appreciating it.

Ilov80s said:
The offenses need to get a lot more creative for this to work. Are there any mobile QBs out there?

This isn't gonna happen with the "big name" (aka recognizable) coaching hires they made. These guys are calling plays even more conservatively than the old school NFL guys right now, even ignoring the helpful analytics the league gave them to start with. These coaches are just cashing (small) checks and it shows, big time.

Hire away some creative highschool coaches in the area who have avoided lower level college jobs bc they don't want to move. Let them go nuts the way they do in lower levels of football to make up for not having superior QB talent. 

The XFL should be about innovating and excitement, using guys in ways the NFL is too afraid to right now...not stagnant good ol' boys hires that already flunked out of the league. 

DJackson10 said:
Even if he wanted to play for pennies (which makes no sense), the XFL is marketing itself to blue collar people as the league that doesn't have the NFL's politics. This would never happen. 

This isn't gonna happen with the "big name" (aka recognizable) coaching hires they made. These guys are calling plays even more conservatively than the old school NFL guys right now, even ignoring the helpful analytics the league gave them to start with. These coaches are just cashing (small) checks and it shows, big time.

Hire away some creative highschool coaches in the area who have avoided lower level college jobs bc they don't want to move. Let them go nuts the way they do in lower levels of football to make up for not having superior QB talent. 

The XFL should be about innovating and excitement, using guys in ways the NFL is too afraid to right now...not stagnant good ol' boys hires that already flunked out of the league. 
Great point. Management played it far too conservative. 

Even if he wanted to play for pennies (which makes no sense), the XFL is marketing itself to blue collar people as the league that doesn't have the NFL's politics. This would never happen. 
He wanted $20M to play and the XFL doesn't have the wherewithal  to pay that.

I agree with you there. I'm just saying I'm amazed his supporters still use this as part of their defense he's being blackballed. I don't think his intentions if he was cut was to ever play again. I think it was an act to get a big pay day as he knew his career was up 

He wanted $20M to play and the XFL doesn't have the wherewithal  to pay that.
I wouldn't pay the guy league minimum. From peope I talked to who either associate with the guy or were his teammates College and pros he has an incredible poor football IQ. He succeed mostly on his athletic skills then any Football smarts. 

DJackson10 said:
I wouldn't pay the guy league minimum. From peope I talked to who either associate with the guy or were his teammates College and pros he has an incredible poor football IQ. He succeed mostly on his athletic skills then any Football smarts. 

You wouldn't pay him league minimum in the XFL? lol. His "athletic skills" would make him the best in that league likely, even if you were right about his football IQ. 

Impossible to know if his legs/speed are washed, but I doubt it given how athletic Vick looked at 30+ after two years out of the game. 

Setting aside the off the field politics in this case, obviously. 

But the defenses in the XFL would have a tough time stopping even the lowest tier of starter in the NFL. Even if you think that's where Kaep would be right now, he'd probably wreck the XFL in it's current state.

it's the XFL not the KFL ...wrong face for this kind of start up. imho. This is america, apple pie and violence on camera. This is not about causes and blight. Why carry an albatross around an already iffy idea/dream/league? Keap chose who he is. Now he has to do something with that. ON his own. Not on the back of the bloated NFL or the phoenix fire ashes of the XFL.  

You wouldn't pay him league minimum in the XFL? lol. His "athletic skills" would make him the best in that league likely, even if you were right about his football IQ. 

Impossible to know if his legs/speed are washed, but I doubt it given how athletic Vick looked at 30+ after two years out of the game. 

Setting aside the off the field politics in this case, obviously. 

But the defenses in the XFL would have a tough time stopping even the lowest tier of starter in the NFL. Even if you think that's where Kaep would be right now, he'd probably wreck the XFL in it's current state.
I'm thinking not only skill here but what message I'm sending to a league and fanbase I'm trying to build. Again This isn't me not accepting the cause I've always said this I don't believe his part of it was ever genuine and he was using it to try and save his career. He bet on himself and lost 

I'm thinking not only skill here but what message I'm sending to a league and fanbase I'm trying to build. Again This isn't me not accepting the cause I've always said this I don't believe his part of it was ever genuine and he was using it to try and save his career. He bet on himself and lost 
I'm not talking about his politics. It's been done to death here. 

I'm simply responding to your post, which seemed football related and not politics related, about not wanting him due to his strengths lying in his athleticism rather than his football IQ.

I'm saying that even if that's true, he would still destroy XFL defenses even with legs that are 2-3 years out of the league. He'd still be the best player in the league most likely, even after years of deterioration. That's how bad QBs are in this league. Kaep would be a bottom starter in the NFL...which would make him a franchise-maker in the XFL. In this alternate reality where it happened, obviously.

Obviously he will never play in this league. It's purely football-related hypotheticals since you commented on his actual on-field ability in relation to playing in the XFL. 

I'm not talking about his politics. It's been done to death here. 

I'm simply responding to your post, which seemed football related and not politics related, about not wanting him due to his strengths lying in his athleticism rather than his football IQ.

I'm saying that even if that's true, he would still destroy XFL defenses even with legs that are 2-3 years out of the league. He'd still be the best player in the league most likely, even after years of deterioration. That's how bad QBs are in this league. Kaep would be a bottom starter in the NFL...which would make him a franchise-maker in the XFL. In this alternate reality where it happened, obviously.

Obviously he will never play in this league. It's purely football-related hypotheticals since you commented on his actual on-field ability in relation to playing in the XFL. 
I'm simple saying that most football fans the real fans will basically say yeah he might be successful but he's doing it against inferior competition. They won't buy him as a legit player for the league. They'll see right through that. 

I'm simple saying that most football fans the real fans will basically say yeah he might be successful but he's doing it against inferior competition. They won't buy him as a legit player for the league. They'll see right through that. 
So we're agreeing. Even as the bottom-tier NFL level starter he'd be if he ever came back (he won't, I know) he'd still destroy the inferior XFL talent. Your tone implies disagreement with me when you're agreeing. 

Now setting aside the Kaep stuff and talking in general--your argument is kind of funny. Basically if anyone "too good" for the XFL ever emerges from their talent pool and dominates--no one, not even the actual XFL fans, will care because it's a minor league with inferior talent? So what's the point of this whole league lol, not to have any star players at all and to keep the same poor level of talent over time? If the only point is for an XFL star to show just enough that he becomes a practice squad NFL player and then never touches the XFL again (bc he's too good for it and it doesn't count but he's not good enough to actually play in the NFL), this league is going to fail fast.

This league needs to become a place for the non-prototypical players who could never pass muster in the NFL but are good football players, not just a graveyard for the exact guys who washed out of the league already. This league needs to thrive off the stud CB who is 5'6", the fat QB who still has a rocket arm, the 6'8" WR who can't get separation in the NFL but skies over the 5'6" CB mentioned above.

If the XFL doesn't become the island of misfit toys and find unique (but non-NFL) talents for fans to genuinely root for, guys who can stick around, then there's no point. Valuing the exact same skill-sets and physical make-up the NFL does, the same prototypes, is just going to lead to leftovers-level talent and a similar but worse product. Recipe for failure and keeping politics out of the game isn't going to save it alone.

Anyone got any thoughts on the actual players and games? 
The players mostly stink and the games range from watchable to fun, like off-brand NFL that probably needs to get wackier to find it's niche. The rules changes from the NFL so far imo are good.

But there's not much to talk about yet with the games or players, which isn't good for a new league. Which is why I find it more interesting to talk about the types of players this league should be rostering but isn't. They seem to be fine settling for the same archetypes of players the NFL wants...which just leads to leftovers. There has to be untapped talent that isn't big or fast enough for the NFL no matter how well they could produce in the XFL. That's the moneymaker imo. They need to find the guys who could have played in the NFL if they were 4 inches taller at their position or .15 faster in the 40. Or the opposite way, guys who are athletic freaks but won't ever be polished enough for the NFL, just get the ball into their hands.

I don't get how settling for the exact player base the NFL already picked over is a winning strategy. Find the Colt Brennans of 2020 and make them stars. 

The players mostly stink and the games range from watchable to fun, like off-brand NFL that probably needs to get wackier to find it's niche. The rules changes from the NFL so far imo are good.

But there's not much to talk about yet with the games or players, which isn't good for a new league. Which is why I find it more interesting to talk about the types of players this league should be rostering but isn't. They seem to be fine settling for the same archetypes of players the NFL wants...which just leads to leftovers. There has to be untapped talent that isn't big or fast enough for the NFL no matter how well they could produce in the XFL. That's the moneymaker imo. They need to find the guys who could have played in the NFL if they were 4 inches taller at their position or .15 faster in the 40. Or the opposite way, guys who are athletic freaks but won't ever be polished enough for the NFL, just get the ball into their hands.

I don't get how settling for the exact player base the NFL already picked over is a winning strategy. Find the Colt Brennans of 2020 and make them stars. 
The problem is the coaches they hired. Other than Pep they are a bunch of boring retreads. Absolutely baffling why they did that. 

I see a few names that I like and didn't expect they'd be out of the league. Some are recent cuts. I could imagine all them, otherwise I agree with you.

I think they have bad timing so I'm not sure how, but they should compete for the UDFAs somehow. Year two could be better. I do give them some leeway because fielding 53 on all those teams was a big ask. Filling holes and replacements is way easier.

The lack of $ bugs me. Any hope I have for them landing this guy or that guy always ends with $. 

The problem is the coaches they hired. Other than Pep they are a bunch of boring retreads. Absolutely baffling why they did that. 
I don't think so at all. I get the retread angle, I hear ya, but I'm enjoying watching them scheme for players that aren't as good and can't do everything. 

Singletary in the AAF with all his switches and different sets was genius. Some plays they were so bad that I just thought his only hope was to confuse the QB presnap so he did all he could. It wasn't this extreme but it felt like- you're running well, here's 10 DL on the field. You're passing to the TE well, here's 5 safeties. It was kind of fun to watch

Stoops' WRs last week obviously couldn't run every route well and I noticed he moved them along the line but essentially they ran the same route each spot.  It's so stupid that that was successful but then again maybe this corner falls for go routes and that corner for curls and maybe it is that simple. It just blew me away.

The announcers were talking of two good linemen during one game and that's the "only" spot they ran at.  Hello, there are three other linemen.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the "what are you up to" thoughts while watching. It makes me wonder if I never noticed NFL teams do anything like this. In the NBA, we know Jordan etc "only" got the ball in the fourth Q. We know Gibbs ran the same play that Superbowl and a couple Parcells games with Curtis Martin and.... Do NFL teams avoid giving it to a player ever? Like some backup shmoo that we all think is good? The Giants (oddly enough) have had their whole WR corps injured a few times the last 10 years or so and I remember the street free agents all getting the rock. Did I miss some just holding a spot? Justin Hunter couldn't block well and commanded doubleteams as a rookie, so Whisenhunt had him run so many deep routes on running downs that he'd get tired by the end of the game. I didn't notice that in-game but heard after the fact. Everything is so obvious in the XFL it makes me wonder what I don't see in the NFL

One of my favorite players, Armanti Edwards signed.

If I understand the XFL practice squad rule right, it's a league wide squad that anyone can pick at. (interesting concept btw) 

I was first annoyed that he wouldn't be allowed to play QB after absolutely dominating college.

I remember it took him a year or two to convert to WR and being annoyed he got cut the same year his coach gave him an award for the player of camp.

He's been a 1000 yard WR in the CFL so I'm curious if he'll play in the XFL, what position etc.

Keenan did well last week. I always liked him at QB too. He did well at WR and I'm open to the idea how I'm wrong about running QBs in the NFL, I'm just saying they intrigue me is all. 

I see Faust's link

Are there any good corners, shutdown, in XFL? I know shutdown at this level, just talking DFS stuff

I just can't "buy" that Phillip Walker isn't an NFL QB.

I love this guy every week and he makes every type of throw, he runs well, avoids pressure fine.

Whaddya call it when ya throw over a DL and have it come down into a target? He is better at throwing that than many in the NFL. I swear most just sling it.

He places it well too. This is a really well aware QB, this is no shmoo. This guy got (almost) to the NFL on skills not just athleticism like many do.

His 2018 preseason highlight reel with the Colts is very good. Ya gotta google him....gotta!

I see this video https://www.colts.com/video/highlight-phillip-walker-lofts-beautiful-pass-to-twirling-pascal-for-td is dated 2019 but PFR doesn't even have him playing for the Colts in Dec2019 and his NFL.com page is down. 

Do we even know that the Colts are any good at evaluating QBs? They were gifted Luck N Manning in drafts and the rest is history.

Is he a starter? a backup? a third stinger development guy?

I'm definite on the 3rd stringer one. Most of the third stringers I see in preseason are garbage and I come in here posting how the teams should sign more UDFAs because if six are drafted there clearly are some good QBs left unemployed from college. Who wouldn't want their D trying to stop him in practice too? 

The speed of the game and the different defensive schemes. I am not sure he can adjust so I'm not going to put him as a starter or backup, but with his insane level of awareness, he's totally likely to be capable of adjusting. 

The 5-11 part. Same Qs as every other college QB that might be too short. Does he move and use his eyes and adjust his throws- yes, totally does. 

I just can't "buy" that Phillip Walker isn't an NFL QB.

I love this guy every week and he makes every type of throw, he runs well, avoids pressure fine.

Whaddya call it when ya throw over a DL and have it come down into a target? He is better at throwing that than many in the NFL. I swear most just sling it.

He places it well too. This is a really well aware QB, this is no shmoo. This guy got (almost) to the NFL on skills not just athleticism like many do.

His 2018 preseason highlight reel with the Colts is very good. Ya gotta google him....gotta!

I see this video https://www.colts.com/video/highlight-phillip-walker-lofts-beautiful-pass-to-twirling-pascal-for-td is dated 2019 but PFR doesn't even have him playing for the Colts in Dec2019 and his NFL.com page is down. 

Do we even know that the Colts are any good at evaluating QBs? They were gifted Luck N Manning in drafts and the rest is history.

Is he a starter? a backup? a third stinger development guy?

I'm definite on the 3rd stringer one. Most of the third stringers I see in preseason are garbage and I come in here posting how the teams should sign more UDFAs because if six are drafted there clearly are some good QBs left unemployed from college. Who wouldn't want their D trying to stop him in practice too? 

The speed of the game and the different defensive schemes. I am not sure he can adjust so I'm not going to put him as a starter or backup, but with his insane level of awareness, he's totally likely to be capable of adjusting. 

The 5-11 part. Same Qs as every other college QB that might be too short. Does he move and use his eyes and adjust his throws- yes, totally does. 
If I were a betting man, I’d say he is on an NFL roster this coming year. I agree he looks like a man among boys in the XFL. AND, with Mahomes, Jackson and Watson all making it into the playoffs, I think he’s also a "trendy" style of QB that NFL teams might want on their roster. Heck, if I’m one of those 3 teams (KC,  Bal, Hou), I might want walker as my backup so I don’t have to change the game plan too much if my starter goes down. 

New York has bad QBs. McGloin is just shot with a don't blame me attitude from his NFL days. Just play guy, what are ya doing. Galloway saying McGloin tweaked the offense to make it his own....well it's ugly. I'd cut him, there's just no spark, nothing to it.

Jordan Taamu(sp?) I can't wrap my head around. He's so composed, so smart, and so accurate. I'm watching his worst game yet and his WRs and TEs are dropping them. I've seen one throw behind, that's it. What is he 70 and 80 percent in his prior games? But it's all almost unimpressive. The throws are all same speed and it's just 'right there' and...idk the guy is robotic. Should he hit this guy open, done. Throw it away under pressure, done. It's weird how perfect he is. Coach's kid? He's got a crazy fast release, maybe it's just umm well nothing to evaluate that was so fast. He's a very odd player.

St Louis can run. IDK if you guys have watched but most teams can't. The lines stink and most Ds are in some variable sets but it always looks like a 4-4 presnap.

NY's D is probably the best but they always break down because the O stinks. I'm watching the corners back off, move forward, back off presnap. That's gotta be annoying for the WR, simple too.

Former D3 kicker kicked a FG, yeah...been saying for a decade or more, NFL should be looking at all levels of college play and it's absurd they only add 4-5 from the top college teams every year.

Christine Michael is coming on. There are no second level blocks and but he's earning it. He was third in the pecking order to start and in just a few weeks he's starting to shine. I think it's he and Matt Jones now and he's about to unseat Jones.

Defenders CB Elijah Campbell hasn't allowed a first down yet. 

Gonna guess that the NFL scouts were wrong about him being a safety

It was disappointing to see Cardale implode this week but that is bound to happen when you’ve started, what, 13/14 games since high school. Walker and him look like they should get shots at backup jobs next year. Maybe Ta’amu too. 

Other skill players of note: Nelson Spruce, Austin Proehl, Tre McBride, Martez Carter and, most especially, Donald Parham. I’m actually going to try and stash me some Parham on deep dynasty rosters. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
It was disappointing to see Cardale implode this week but that is bound to happen when you’ve started, what, 13/14 games since high school. Walker and him look like they should get shots at backup jobs next year. Maybe Ta’amu too. 

Other skill players of note: Nelson Spruce, Austin Proehl, Tre McBride, Martez Carter and, most especially, Donald Parham. I’m actually going to try and stash me some Parham on deep dynasty rosters. 
What about Cam Phillips? I personally would add him to the list of skill players of note also.  

Parham is always good, made me wonder why DFS got rid of the TE and claimed everyone was a WR.

McBride can't stay healthy. He was fine with TEN, unsure what happened to him and his bod.

Spruce is a player. His stats are nice and that's on top of that the D expects him to get a lot of looks. 

Tammu is from Hawaii and friends with Marcus and Tua. He went to Vince Passas camps and that explains why he looks so polished.

I think he could be like Jake Delhomme. Steal a job, always be at risk to lose it, then done after a handful of years.

Excellent commentary today on the radio, opposing coach said there's "no flaws in his game" and the hosts were comparing him to Dak and saying he's not highly rated, just going to go out and produce.

Interesting that they were saying the XFL guys would sit on the bench and get a few reps at the end of practice and hope someone noticed while they learned and were all uncomfortable. He thinks Walker, Taamu, and Cardale will just be good right off the bat and that will make a big difference how primed they are.

Landry Jones is enjoying himself and doesn't aspire to be in the NFL right now. Playing for Stoops, "near" Sooner country, in front of a good crowd, he's quite content.

Dallas signed Armanti off the XFL practice team (again, interesting concept to make it league wide) and he is expected to play this week. 

Pictures of him passing but articles are how he's gotta learn the offense at WR and had 1000 yards last two years in Canada.

I'm thinking next week for DFS, plays WR and maybe some gimmicky plays at QB

Spruce is out this week

Also, Luis Perez is getting the start per people idk on twitter. A lot of people seem to like this kid.

Marquise Williams NOT starting is bad for him. He was naive last week looked like he just wanted to show off his big arm, not take what's given. This ain't high school, that was dumb.

Tanner Gentry supposed to play (third rounder in their draft) but will take some time to get up to speed in the offense. I'd cut him, tell him he's not going to the game....something. You've been sitting all this time and couldn't know the offense well enough to jump in? see ya. This is the first "not hungry" type sentiment I've heard about guys in this league. I love the UDFA feel and mindset of the players. 

I'm not buying that Gilbride's Spurrier protege OC could run a multiple TE offensive set this week. Did Spurrier even have a multiple TE set offense? Gilbride is either wise to give the O time to develop or a fool that will lose his job for not stepping in and calling plays himself. Tough spot, but I've been telling ya McGloin is very much NOT good so Perez's start could be big for them

DK's $3 with 20 team max or $3 with 3 team max is a no brainer choice same with the $5 single entry.

I appreciate how DK is doing XFL. It seems more fair, not like just some greedy 'gimme all your money I can get' setup but more even odds for regulars versus pros.

Underthrown deep ball is a nice tactic against a double but that was very questionable by Josh

Since most teams can't run the ball well, the closing minutes of games are a bit odd. 

Teams have gotta figure something out, two TEs, reverses, two FBs....something that doesn't give a game away

Users who are viewing this thread