What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

XFL 2.1 - the re-re-reboot (2 Viewers)

If the 30% number for conversions from the 5 yard line is roughly accurate, that should be the default choice, with the 1 or 3 only being selected if the particular game situation dictates. Will be interesting to see the decisions made.

If the 30% number for conversions from the 5 yard line is roughly accurate, that should be the default choice, with the 1 or 3 only being selected if the particular game situation dictates. Will be interesting to see the decisions made.
That situation called for a 1 pointer.

I’m enjoying this well enough. I think the coaches are being very stupid with the XP. If you’re trying for 1 pt just run the ball. So now you’re compounding your idiotic decision by doing jump balls at the goalline? Why not go for three then?

And that's no hyperbole. It's literally NEVER happened. I don't know why they just don't remove that rule at this point.
It’s game 1. Not every coach is going to be this conservative and there are going to be games that aren’t close where the trailing team can make a faster comeback. It’s very smart to have to keep games close and more volatile.

Yar's Revenge actually make me like the unis more.  So far the Dragons are winning the uniform competiton though they shoulda kept the cooler looking from when they played in Barcelona.

-QG

My brother and I talked it over and you absolutely should go for 3 every time. You only need one conversion in two tries to be up +1 over a team the successfully gets the extra point twice; however the extra point isn't a gimme now either.

Day 1 was very enjoyable imo. 

they talked up the league as a place to get a chance to show your stuff, get starter reps, and hopefully get a chance to play in the NFL again. They also pointed out a player's NFL experience every chance the announcers got. The "nfl farm league" mentality is the best chance for success imo, so I’m glad they’re pimping that angle. 

full (though small-ish) stadiums also bode well.

I also dig all of the rule tweaks so far. Fun and interesting wrinkles. 

Looking forward to day 2. 

Marc Trestman/Aaron Murray combo is awful. Can’t see watching much TB unless Flowers ends up the starter. Trestman kicking the FG down two scores then still being down two scores was tremendously stupid. There’s a reason he was shown the door in the NFL.

This league could use Manziel. Not sure if it was true them saying no to him but he could certainly do well with the upscale pace.

I enjoyed week 1, personally. And, as a Raider fan, I loved seeing McGloin look so good at QB. Easily the best QB in the league so far. 

Andy Dufresne said:
Who designed these awful LA uniforms?

It's a mashup of current and throwback Buccaneers unis topped off with Yar's Revenge.
You suck at insults. That sounds awesome!

Giants Sports Net NY - 5 ideas from the XFL that the NFL should adopt

JJ Watt  @JJWatt

Just turned on the XFL. Kicker missed a field goal and they immediately interviewed him on the sideline asking what happened haha. That’s tough.
I get that the XFL is about more access, but some of these reporters were desert thirsty to talk to these dudes like 5 seconds after the play. So a defender on Seattle got a Personal Foul call and one of the reporters is interviewing the dude on the sidelines who got into it with the LA player. Of course he disagrees with the call and lets off a 4-second bleepfest that they had to cut away from. YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN'T INTERVIEW THESE GUYS SO SOON AFTER A PLAY - Give them a friggin' minute or two to decompress with the team! You already interview quicker than the NFL with all the sideline cameras and reporters... you don't need the spicy hot take!

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants Sports Net NY - 5 ideas from the XFL that the NFL should adopt

I get that the XFL is about more access, but some of these reporters were desert thirsty to talk to these dudes like 5 seconds after the play. So a defender on Seattle got a Personal Foul call and one of the reporters is interviewing the dude on the sidelines who got into it with the LA player. Of course he disagrees with the call and lets off a 4-second bleepfest that they had to cut away from. YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN'T INTERVIEW THESE GUYS SO SOON AFTER A PLAY - Give them a friggin' minute or two to decompress with the team! You already interview quicker than the NFL with all the sideline cameras and reporters... you don't need the spicy hot take!
More bleepfest interviews please :popcorn:

-QG

Didn’t realize PJ Walker played for Rhule in college. If he keeps up what he did week 1 I expect him to get NFL calls and that could definitely be one of them.

Is it right that there's a pretty good college player who lost eligibility playing in this league with the plan to declare for the draft after, as an alternative to waiting a year for more college ball? 

That could be a path to success for this league as well. 

Is it right that there's a pretty good college player who lost eligibility playing in this league with the plan to declare for the draft after, as an alternative to waiting a year for more college ball? 

Not sure but, Agreed. 

Leave college after 1-2 years, play 1-2 In the XFL for hope of a leap up to NFL. 
could there be a no-college path to the NFL through the XFL as well? (Or is that what you’re also implying/wondering?)

Not sure but, Agreed. 

Leave college after 1-2 years, play 1-2 In the XFL for hope of a leap up to NFL. 
could there be a no-college path to the NFL through the XFL as well? (Or is that what you’re also implying/wondering?)

Yeah, that's kind of what I was wondering. The last failed league had the same 3 year rule as the NFL I think. I'm not sure about the XFL. If they nixed that they could expand their talent base, but that might be a fight they don't want with the NCAA and NFL. 

Yeah, that's kind of what I was wondering. The last failed league had the same 3 year rule as the NFL I think. I'm not sure about the XFL. If they nixed that they could expand their talent base, but that might be a fight they don't want with the NCAA and NFL. 
Yeah. Good point. I think they survive by working WITH the NFL and not against. So the "reject" angle (whether from college or NFL) is probably their best bet to coexist with NFL and NCAA. 

There is a DB in the league that left the NCAA and is not yet draft eligible. I think he is the only player.

Iceman03 said:
There is a DB in the league that left the NCAA and is not yet draft eligible. I think he is the only player.
Interesting. But he was in the NCAA at one point. Any idea how long? It’s nitpicking but just wondering how this might affect the future...e.g. a kid is a star in high school, doesn’t get a scholarship at one of his top choices, so decides to do X years in the XFL instead to make a little cash with the chance at a big pay day in the NFL.  Would this kid bypass the draft system entirely and just get signed to the best contract he can. Sheesh, that would get ugly. 

Decent crowds so far in week 2, which is a good thing. 

the 2 game on Saturday were not very well played, which is a bad thing. 

And McGloin goes from "hey, there might be some NFL talent in this league" to "oh, yeah, now I see why he dropped out of the NFL".
C'mon, kid. Pull it together. 

Decent crowds so far in week 2, which is a good thing. 

the 2 game on Saturday were not very well played, which is a bad thing. 

And McGloin goes from "hey, there might be some NFL talent in this league" to "oh, yeah, now I see why he dropped out of the NFL".
C'mon, kid. Pull it together. 
Cardale looks like he should be a backup somewhere at least. Hopefully PJ Nelson continues that path too. Like I said last week, this league could really use Johnny Football. 

Landry Jones was a terrible QB in the NFL...no reason to think he would suddenly become good in the XFL.

If people tune into the XFL expecting NFL-quality football the product won't be around very long.  If viewers accept that they are going to see lower-quality, "minor league" football, and enjoy it for what it is, it has a chance.

Big question is:  how much do viewers just want more football to watch, vs. how much they need it to be compellingly good.

I’m not sure what to think. QB and OLine play has been bad but they shouldn’t have gone for these namesake coaches either. They seem like they are on auto pilot and play calling like it’s the 1980’s. Probably would have been better paying some creative football subdivision coaches or something. It’s like they don’t care if they win or lose. Even if this is to be a supplemental league for the NFL some competitive spirit would be nice. 

Landry Jones was a terrible QB in the NFL...no reason to think he would suddenly become good in the XFL.

If people tune into the XFL expecting NFL-quality football the product won't be around very long.  If viewers accept that they are going to see lower-quality, "minor league" football, and enjoy it for what it is, it has a chance.

Big question is:  how much do viewers just want more football to watch, vs. how much they need it to be compellingly good.
There is a certain segment of football viewers that just aren't into most of the other sports this time of year. 

This was literally one of the selling points of the xfl.  Do these people even read the big bold print on their contracts?
They just seem so aloof. It’s a paycheck. That’s not good for the league. And what is really amazing is they keep running the ball on first down but want to pass going for 1 point at the goal line. It’s worse than the worst NFL play callers.

Houston QB P.J. Walker is fun to watch. Lightning quick release, can throw off platform, and has wheels. Showing well and probably the favorite to be the leagues best player.

The Vipers finally figured out after their defensive TD that is was Vipers Defense 7 and the Vipers offense was like 3 I think thru at least 3 halves of football and they made a change and I don't think 2nd string XFL QBs are going to win a lot of games off the bench. 

I would have to check the box score but it felt like both teams were throwing interceptions around like free candy, truly some passes I've never seen. I had not seen a professional QB throw a pass from basically his own end zone, not see the DE standing in front of him and lollipop a throw that took almost no effort to intercept and score, think that was the death nail for the starting Vipers QB. 

I haven't watched much of this, more like just checking in to see the carnage or car wreck. I can't see how this league will have any momentum in a few weeks. 8 teams, seems like maybe 1-2 are worth watching and for cities like Tampa Bay which opened with 2 lackluster games on the road, can't imagine the city/potential fans are itching to embrace them when they play their opener in WEEK 3 next week. 

Top 10 College Football teams or games are way more exciting than anything in the XFL, honestly it's not as good as even a college game of lesser teams than just the powerhouses but that's just my opinion and millions of other NFL fans. 

Users who are viewing this thread