What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yankees/Tigers ALDS Thread (1 Viewer)

Who wins?

• Yankees

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Tigers

Votes: 37 68.5%

• Total voters
'shadyridr said:
The Fister-Nova matchup is a lot more lopsided than the Verlander-CC matchup IMO
Fister has been pitching as good as anyone in baseball lately. I really hope Leyland would skip Porcello's start and just go with a 3 man rotation. I think the only way that will happen is a sweep though.

The Herd railing the Tigers this morning saying the Yankees will rake this series. I sincerly hope not. I'll be at game 3 and 4 if it gets there. Let's go Tigers!
You aren't speaking of Colin Cowherd are you? Is there a bigger front runner in talk radio than him? If the Tigers win this series, then Cowherd will become a Detroit fan. He has no allegiance to any team but roots for the best teams at the time, and actually admits it to. I have zero respect for the dude.
:goodposting: I'd rather go by what Michelle Beadle has to say.

'Smack Tripper said:
Assuming I Am, then I think its likely CC vs porcello in game 4 and that greatly favors Ny. Now, verlander - nova is a rough matchup I'll grant you. But the yanks have had limited success against jv and nova has icewater in his veins. Game 5 in Yankee stadium is a whole other animal I'll grant you
:lmao: No bias here.
Unequvical, absolute bias here, but if you go back in the yank thread, I was pushing nova as a dark horse Mariano successor. To this point, he's not been afraid of the moment and shown an ability to bear down and make pitches in big spots. This is admittedly and I alluded to the fact, a dramatically different stage but so far, he's shown me some real guts. He may shrink, he may tire in this long season but I'm excited to see how he responds to this. As for JV, the yanks faced him before he went into full on beast mode but he does not inspire the absolute "avoid" fear flag let's say a cliff lee or a Randy Johnson did. He could very, very easily spin two shutouts in this series, and he has no hit stuff every time he toes the rubber. But track record indicates the yanks should at least be able to get a bat on him.

My biggest bone of contention is benching montero game 1. I hole this is the absolute last "mandatory" nod to Posada, who I have no faith in even hitting a loud foul of JV. They be lucky to get him to K Because he has 6-4-3 written all over him.

This series is a total coinflip, IMO. Both teams have an ace, both can score runs, I give the Yanks an edge in the bullpen. Yanks in 5.

This series is a total coinflip, IMO. Both teams have an ace, both can score runs, I give the Yanks an edge in the bullpen. Yanks in 5.
With Al Al back, the Tigers bullpen is pretty darn good.
Never said otherwise. The edge is slight. Like I said, it's a toss-up. I wouldn't be shocked if either team won. I would be shocked if either team swept though. These 2 teams are very even.

With Al Al back, the Tigers bullpen is pretty darn good.
Never said otherwise. The edge is slight. Like I said, it's a toss-up. I wouldn't be shocked if either team won. I would be shocked if either team swept though. These 2 teams are very even.
I will say this, I think the Yanks have 0 chance to sweep whereas I could certainly see the Tigers doing it. CC hasn't been totally sharp of late, against VerlanderNova is a great unknown in this sort of spotlightTigers have cuffed Freddy around. I see no such road map for the Yanks.

Heading out now. I think the series sits heavily in the Yanks favor if they can beat Verlander tonight. The Tigers need this game more than NY in my opinion.

Gonna be a great series either way.

really worried about cc tonight. he does not pitch well with alot of rest. he hasnt pitched since last wednesday, yikes. i have more confidence in him pitching on 3 days rest than long rest. i have a feeling hell be very wild tonight and get rocked. he pitched poorly since august and the main reason i think was the stupid 6 man rotation

IF they cancel, I am wondering do they start over or continue from the 1 to 1 tie?

To me, looking how the game was going it's an advantage to the Tigers. CC looked like he was on, already with 4K's while Verlander was struggling to find his stuff. Verlander has been known to start slow and can bring it on but if you're evaluating the game fairly, there seemed to be a slight advantage with the Yankees ace. His pitch count was VERY low while Justin had a couple of walks already and would have worked hard just to get to the 7th while CC was setting up a possible complete game.

Unforgivable miscalculation by MLB for BOTH teams. The Aces are such factors with these teams, and to have them work for 162 games to try to get TBS a Friday night rating, burn in hell you bastards. Start it or play through it. This is ridiculous.

although I agree this hurts the Yanks a ton. With Nova pitching G1, Garcia G2, who knows who pitches G3 but CC will only get 1 start now and we might have an AJ Burnett sighting. What a disaster. I feel like they shouldve postponed this game before it started. What a cluster ####. They never mentioned the possibility of rain the whole pre-game show.

I wouldn't count out CC pitching games 2 and 5. I think the only clear benefit at the moment goes to Detroit since Verlander was clearly off his game tonight.

Unforgivable miscalculation by MLB for BOTH teams. The Aces are such factors with these teams, and to have them work for 162 games to try to get TBS a Friday night rating, burn in hell you bastards. Start it or play through it. This is ridiculous.
Kind of dumb for a Yankee fan to be ok with a quarter billion dollar payroll, then be upset about a network making money off of them.

I wouldn't count out CC pitching games 2 and 5. I think the only clear benefit at the moment goes to Detroit since Verlander was clearly off his game tonight.
Verlander has a no hitter going. The dropped third strike, a couple poor fielding choices, and the run comes in. Verlander would have pulled it together. But I do think this hurts the Tigers more only because Leyland won't adapt and will stick to his rules on resting pitchers. The Yankees still have a chance to pitch CC twice, there is little chance that Leyland will will pitch Verlander twice now. This is the playoffs and you need to do what you need to do. We will see, I hope I am wrong.

You could tell that after 1 inning? An inning in which he struck out Jeter yet Jeter reached anyway, he forced a groundball to 1B that Cabrera shouldve thrown to second but bobbled, and a grounder to 3rd which Inge shouldve clearly thrown home

the worse thing about this whole debacle is G2 is now on Sunday at 3:07 pm and ruins my whole football viewing schedule. I gotta try and figure something out regarding 2 tvs.

Kind of dumb for a Yankee fan to be ok with a quarter billion dollar payroll, then be upset about a network making money off of them.
They are where they would have been with a rainout, two games pushed. Instead now, the competition is compromised because you burned the aces.But you'll feel it most cappy because you're looking at Verlander or CC for ALCS game 1.

You could tell that after 1 inning? An inning in which he struck out Jeter yet Jeter reached anyway, he forced a groundball to 1B that Cabrera shouldve thrown to second but bobbled, and a grounder to 3rd which Inge shouldve clearly thrown home
And walked 2 batters. That's all I meant. He looked off to me. Definitlely didn't look comfortable out there. Maybe I'm just used to watching him take perfect games and no hitters into the 6th inning every other start. All I know is I felt a lot better about the game in the second inning than I did before the game.

They are where they would have been with a rainout, two games pushed. Instead now, the competition is compromised because you burned the aces.But you'll feel it most cappy because you're looking at Verlander or CC for ALCS game 1.
If the Rays make the ALCS, I couldn't care less who they face. :shrug:

Link

What we do know, and can say with certainty, is that the flip-flop of Doug Fister and Max Scherzer in the pitching rotation, which Tigers manager Jim Leyland achieved by having them pitch in the same game a couple weeks ago in Kansas City, takes on added importance now, by allowing Fister to pitch twice if the series goes the five-game maximum.

Link

What we do know, and can say with certainty, is that the flip-flop of Doug Fister and Max Scherzer in the pitching rotation, which Tigers manager Jim Leyland achieved by having them pitch in the same game a couple weeks ago in Kansas City, takes on added importance now, by allowing Fister to pitch twice if the series goes the five-game maximum.
Was a big fan of moving Fister to the #2 spot. Really was hoping to keep Max Scherzer pitching at home, but it looks like game 2 in New York. But I understand letting Verlander wait until Monday to pitch.

Link

Was a big fan of moving Fister to the #2 spot. Really was hoping to keep Max Scherzer pitching at home, but it looks like game 2 in New York. But I understand letting Verlander wait until Monday to pitch.
Verlander threw one inning..it was like an off day with bulpen work. Why hold him back?

I would like to see him pitch Sunday and possible a game 5. Not sold on Max in Yankee Stadium..would rather see Max Monday at Copa.

Link

Verlander threw one inning..it was like an off day with bulpen work. Why hold him back?

I would like to see him pitch Sunday and possible a game 5. Not sold on Max in Yankee Stadium..would rather see Max Monday at Copa.
verlander himself said he didnt think he could get ready for game 2, but lets take your advice over his and leylands

Tonight is the key.

If Nova beats Koufax, I mean, Doug F'ing Fister, I can guarantee you CC is coming back Sunday, possibly 2-0 Yankees. Then you punt with Fred against Verlander, and frankly, I take my chances with AJ against Porcello. A bigger ballpark helps AJ but even if he goes down you throw CC against Fister game 5 Yankee stadium? I take that any day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link

I think he threw 25 pitches in that one inning though. He probably could on Sunday, but that is not how Leyland rolls. Whether you agree with him or not, he is protective of his pitching staff. Nothing is going to make Leyland reconsider. I really like the Tigers chances in game 1 and game 3, not so much in game 2 and game 4. It may come down to CC vs. Fister in game 5. Perhaps Porcello can pull out game 4 and not need game 5.

Users who are viewing this thread