What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yellowstone - Paramount TV (1 Viewer)

this channel just randomly showed up on my regular cable lineup

we watched one ep on Netflix (?) and couldn't go further without subscribing to Paramount, so we stopped.

now it's just a regular cable channel. worth watching?

I like Jeremy Renner may have to check out this Mayor of Kingstown that is getting pushed hard in the commercials.

edit: Kyle Chandler in it too.   ok sign me up.
They barely publicized this show.  How did you find out who was in it?  If they want to get people to watch it they really need to show more commercials for it so you can see what it might be about.  

They barely publicized this show.  How did you find out who was in it?  If they want to get people to watch it they really need to show more commercials for it so you can see what it might be about.  
they were on during the commericals during last night's episode.  i hadn't heard of it at all til then.

I found out that Cole Hauser is local here to Florida, and his daughter is in the same class as my daughter at school, so that’s interesting to me. I remember him from Pitch Black, though I haven’t gotten into Yellowstone.

Broke all kinds of ratings records this past weekend...entertaining show and gives a perspective that is needed IMHO in today's woke culture.

It's strengths are the acting and casting IMHO.   

Broke all kinds of ratings records this past weekend...entertaining show and gives a perspective that is needed IMHO in today's woke culture.

It's strengths are the acting and casting IMHO.   

The shows strengths are it knows what it wants to be, what it can be and what kind of audience it wants to find and hold.

Taylor Sheridan spent two years on Sons Of Anarchy and you can see shades of SOA/Dallas/Dynasty and  Unforgiven/True Grit.

The amazing thing is Sheridan only has one true standout actor (Costner) and he's managed to find a way to shape the narrative around Costner's huge ego. Watch the Hatfields and McCoys mini series to see how far Costner's ego has gone.  His characters always need to be right and righteous and smarter than everyone else. He's a past his prime "Mary Sue" archetype with quasi movie star headline quality.

The entire Rip character arc is devoted to being a tribute to the powers of the great John Dutton. Rip can only be great because Dutton made him great and allowed him to be great.

Costner was actually the first choice for Bill in Tarantino's Kill Bill. But Costner didn't want to play a bad guy. Which is too bad, because in 3000 Miles To Graceland, he's actually really good at being a villain ( Big surprise, when you always push a self righteous character, audiences want to see you stretch your ego and then get gunned down)

Cole Hauser is great in the role of Rip because he's just playing Cole Hauser. Sheridan does a good job creating characters and then picking actors who can just be themselves and fit right in quickly. He probably learned it from Kurt Sutter, who was known for letting his actors have a lot of freedom.

The success of Dances With Wolves was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Costner's acting career, just like Pacino playing his Scent Of A Woman character over and over after the Oscar turned him into a hack. This show doesn't get made without Costner's star power but the limitation of Costner needs to be the justified hero/God that everyone prays to probably puts Sheridan into a corner.

This a soap opera with a huge budget that could actually be more with a different headline star. The prequel will likely and eventually just show Costner's character as a child, always being right about everything, negating the issue that it's still a child we are talking about here.

Costner wants all his first round picks back, plus all the horses on the ranch, plus he wants an Emmy, plus that kick returner David Putney. What a narcissist.

The shows strengths are it knows what it wants to be, what it can be and what kind of audience it wants to find and hold.

Taylor Sheridan spent two years on Sons Of Anarchy and you can see shades of SOA/Dallas/Dynasty and  Unforgiven/True Grit.

The amazing thing is Sheridan only has one true standout actor (Costner) and he's managed to find a way to shape the narrative around Costner's huge ego. Watch the Hatfields and McCoys mini series to see how far Costner's ego has gone.  His characters always need to be right and righteous and smarter than everyone else. He's a past his prime "Mary Sue" archetype with quasi movie star headline quality.

The entire Rip character arc is devoted to being a tribute to the powers of the great John Dutton. Rip can only be great because Dutton made him great and allowed him to be great.

Costner was actually the first choice for Bill in Tarantino's Kill Bill. But Costner didn't want to play a bad guy. Which is too bad, because in 3000 Miles To Graceland, he's actually really good at being a villain ( Big surprise, when you always push a self righteous character, audiences want to see you stretch your ego and then get gunned down)

Cole Hauser is great in the role of Rip because he's just playing Cole Hauser. Sheridan does a good job creating characters and then picking actors who can just be themselves and fit right in quickly. He probably learned it from Kurt Sutter, who was known for letting his actors have a lot of freedom.

The success of Dances With Wolves was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Costner's acting career, just like Pacino playing his Scent Of A Woman character over and over after the Oscar turned him into a hack. This show doesn't get made without Costner's star power but the limitation of Costner needs to be the justified hero/God that everyone prays to probably puts Sheridan into a corner.

This a soap opera with a huge budget that could actually be more with a different headline star. The prequel will likely and eventually just show Costner's character as a child, always being right about everything, negating the issue that it's still a child we are talking about here.

Costner wants all his first round picks back, plus all the horses on the ranch, plus he wants an Emmy, plus that kick returner David Putney. What a narcissist.
The prequel is called 1883, so unless Costner's character is way older than he seems, this seems unlikely.

I normally enjoy your posts but woah dude just woah on this one

The prequel is called 1883, so unless Costner's character is way older than he seems, this seems unlikely.

Kevin Costner's ego is so big, it will learn to time travel. If Yellowstone can flash back, then 1883 can flash forward.

The most amazing acting job of Costner's career was The Bodyguard. Because he was so desperate to make everyone believe he was an upgraded version of Steve McQueen, he actually had to be silent and brooding most of the time. Costner was shown failing multiple times in The Untouchables and it really showed growth and progress in the Elliott Ness character. If your character fails, it gives that character a chance to grow and learn and adapt and overcome, then it's a fully formed pathway to a true three dimensional character.  The supporting character casting is completely designed to avoid any actor who can steal scenes from Costner.

But John Dutton has to always be right.  The show doesn't establish what makes Dutton so fearsome other than Taylor Sheridan just set it up that way as part of the world building lore. Rip has a scene where he tells Dutton that the reason no one talks to him is because they fear letting him down. It's like slaughtering some baby calfs and laying them on the altar of Costner's narcissism.  This is the Mary Sue Conundrum. A character who is seen in the world building as omnipotent but there's no rational explanation why. Which is why so many people call this a high profile big budget soap opera, because soap operas do exactly the same thing and hit exactly the same tropes.

Yellowstone would have been so much more interesting and have so many more interesting potential storylines if the story was built around Rip's character with John Dutton as mostly a minor cameo character/antagonist. It would generate a ton of conflict to see three incompetent Dutton sons hate the mostly competent surrogate son who came from nothing. Then have Rip be amused by Beth but not in love with her and the inherent conflict of committing to her solely to get the keys to the Dutton kingdom or staying true to one's integrity and avoiding being part of the entire family tragedy.

If you really look deep at the way the characters are set up, Cole Hauser should be the main character in this show. Taylor Sheridan is a good storyteller but he has some  clear consistent tells. But it appears the narrative had to be co-opted to get that big brand name star who had never done television like this before to headline everything and justify the project getting financed.

This all amounts to something similar to the last few years of Dan Marino's career. Too much brand name to really effect functional change to win but not enough individual humility to adapt to actually win. Costner's career arc and Dan Marino's career arc aren't that much different.

Thought Casey was great tonight.. Between dealing with Llama guy, to dragging his kid out from under the bed and getting him past his fears... Wife being scared / ptsd is understandable.. Blaming a "evil" house :rolleyes:  

John Dutton going old west shoot out was nuts. Thought for sure he'd have Rip take him to the train.

I don't think wimpy Jamie was behind the hit... My guess.. Newly found Dad.. Saw it as a chance for revenge and get rich off his sons back.

Hasn't it been pretty consistently over the top since the beginning?
Probably I just dont remember it being this bad.  I mean some agency named "Livestock" can just mow people down with automatic weapons.  I mean its not a national story when bombs are going off and machine gun shoot outs in town?  They really cannot figure out who ordered it?  And beth, I mean come on, dial this broad back a bit its just way too over the top

Probably I just dont remember it being this bad.  I mean some agency named "Livestock" can just mow people down with automatic weapons.  I mean its not a national story when bombs are going off and machine gun shoot outs in town?  They really cannot figure out who ordered it?  And beth, I mean come on, dial this broad back a bit its just way too over the top
Re: Beth, her opening scene in Season One was pretty much a caricature.  But yeah, now she’s threatening to kill people. 

Of course.  Kayce said he was the law.  The law can do anything

re the shootout with automatic weapons, that happened in the first couple episodes of season one as well. 

:hifive:   easily our favorite series on "regular cable"
meh, much like walking dead, I am going to give it 3-4 episodes more than it deserves but it kindof sucks right now

Dont shows normally jump the shark when they drop random kids into the mix?  Flintstones, cosby show, Happy days, brady bunch etc

getting some random quasi tough kid for beth and rip to "parent" feels really cheap

meh, much like walking dead, I am going to give it 3-4 episodes more than it deserves but it kindof sucks right now

Dont shows normally jump the shark when they drop random kids into the mix?  Flintstones, cosby show, Happy days, brady bunch etc

getting some random quasi tough kid for beth and rip to "parent" feels really cheap
Walking dead :shark:  season of the gov.. Season 1 was just so dang good they just could never top it.

Wife and have watched the first 3 seasons of Yellowstone 3 times and already rewatched the first episode of this season.. We can't get enough..

As I mentioned before, I hate all these individual steaming services, but will more then likely be getting Paramount+ in December as 1883 looks great.

Thought Casey was great tonight.. Between dealing with Llama guy, to dragging his kid out from under the bed and getting him past his fears... Wife being scared / ptsd is understandable.. Blaming a "evil" house :rolleyes:  

John Dutton going old west shoot out was nuts. Thought for sure he'd have Rip take him to the train.

I don't think wimpy Jamie was behind the hit... My guess.. Newly found Dad.. Saw it as a chance for revenge and get rich off his sons back.

Costner has too big of an ego to be seen on camera executing someone. Even if they deserve it.

Part of the problem is making John Dutton the epitome of "good and infallible" is all the antagonists have to be caricatures. Costner literally casted the main bad guy from The Postman ( Will Patton) to be the new main bad guy here.

What would have been interesting is if Kayce was played by Ben Foster from Hell Or High Water, who is actually a great actor. But he probably wouldn't want to take a show with this kind of ham fisted writing. It's not bad writing, but it's surely ham fisted and two dimensional. Focusing on a show on Ben Foster/Cole Hauser with Costner as just a infrequent cameo character would have been a much better show.

Right now, the show is a bigger budget Sons of Anarchy without the implied self deprecation. I'm waiting for Chibs to show up for Gator's BBQ and say something no one can understand.

The big tragedy here is Costner is a legitimately good actor. He can balance star power with real skill set. It's just that damn hubris.

fatness said:
I bailed fairly early in season 1 and remember that scene as being over-the-top and non-believable.
It's television... If I wanted believable, I'd watch documentaries...

I understand what you are saying... Is it "over the top?"... probably..  But I watch it to be entertained.  The whole premise of TWD is "over the top".. Zombies?? C'mon..  But that show just got stupid and not entertaining..  As long as Yellowstone keeps me entertained.. I'm all in..

I understand what you are saying... Is it "over the top?"... probably..  But I watch it to be entertained.  The whole premise of TWD is "over the top".. Zombies?? C'mon..  But that show just got stupid and not entertaining..  As long as Yellowstone keeps me entertained.. I'm all in..
My wife loves Yellowstone; I don't. I love Dark; she doesn't. Different things entertain different people.

I did not think about the Dad being behind it.  Pretty solid take and rather likely. 

Oh I certainly agree with this and find Yellowstone wildly entertaining.  I was simply bringing up sequences from the early seasons to make the point that the show’s always been over the top. A working ranch that has been murdering their employees for decades?  Yeah, that’s pretty over the top. 

I did not think about the Dad being behind it.  Pretty solid take and rather likely. 
I don't recall if it was on the show or in this thread, but setting up that sort of coordinated hit with professionals would take serious money. The show gave no indication that this guy was Mr. Moneybags.

Maybe he cheaped out on the assassins, since none of the targets actually, you know, died.

Oh I certainly agree with this and find Yellowstone wildly entertaining.  I was simply bringing up sequences from the early seasons to make the point that the show’s always been over the top. A working ranch that has been murdering their employees for decades?  Yeah, that’s pretty over the top. 

When Rip told the dude to get rid of the bodies I said to my wife, "How many bodies are at the bottom of that ridge?"

I don't recall if it was on the show or in this thread, but setting up that sort of coordinated hit with professionals would take serious money. The show gave no indication that this guy was Mr. Moneybags.

Maybe he cheaped out on the assassins, since none of the targets actually, you know, died.
It's just a wild guess at this point..

But Jamie's Real dad has a seedy history.. Could easily be he is friends with the guy in prison, or was in prison with him.
Made a deal with him that if the Dutton's are dead, his son Jamie would take over and the :moneybag:  would follow. 

The writing and foreshadowing give tells that it's Malcolm Beck ( Neal McDonough's caricature level evil character)  Didn't see him die on screen. And if you don't die on screen, you technically might still be alive based on standard TV tropes.

This allows Costner some scenery chewing potential as he emotes anguish over the loss of his infallibility, only for Sheridan to come up with some Deus Ex Machina to make it all someone else's fault and that Costner/Dutton can still be throned as purely omnipotent.

The real twist that would mess people up is if Rip is the long term sleeper bad guy on the show. That John Dutton had an affair with his mother and is secretly his father and that's why his "on paper" dad went out of control and then he had to come to Yellowstone and be treated almost like a slave while Costner lavished his other petulant children.

And that all the loyalty was just a huge long con. And at the end, Rip would kill all of Dutton's other sons and then abuses Beth for the rest of her life after crippling Costner as a paraplegic. Rip would be the new king of Yellowstone and Dutton would have to live out the rest of days like a vegetable watching his "Jon Snow" enjoy his revenge.

I have to admit, Luke Grimes just plain irritates me with his homeless man's version of thespian Jax Teller impersonation. If Rip beat Kayce to death with one of Gator's turkey legs, I wouldn't oppose it. I'd probably just laugh. With Jamie, I'd rather Rip tear out that bad hair piece first and then choke him with it. And if they could do a flashback where Rip is the one who set up Dave Annable's death, that would put the cherry on top.

Something is up with Rip. He's too loyal. There's something just not authentic about it. Costner telling Rip to basically take a beating so Kayce can feel like he's truly accepted by the ranch was really ugly. It was dehumanizing to Rip's dedication to Yellowstone.

Everyone love Rip now, but they would love him even more as a calculating shrewd villain.

Only a guy with a long term plan to destroy John Dutton would endure that much torture with Beth. Kelly Reilly has the sociopathic buckle bunny with a hard touch of entitled "Karen" down pat. You can see how suffering for an entire childhood with her cost Jamie all his hair. I'm surprised the wardrobe department hasn't given Wes Bentley one of LeBron James' headbands yet.

I just don't see Taylor Sheridan as this bad of a storyteller. There has to be a long con twist in here somewhere.

Totally agree.  I've bailed on shows because they have pinned themselves down to being to "real."  I stopped watching "This is Us" when they were wearing masks because they didn't know they weren't real people and could just pretend the pandemic didn't exist.  I watch TV to escape the garbage of the real world, not watch other people deal with the same stuff I deal with.  I get some people may enjoy sharing that experience with someone on TV, but I'd rather escape it and watch tough cowboys blow the bad guy up with impunity.

Totally agree.  I've bailed on shows because they have pinned themselves down to being to "real."  I stopped watching "This is Us" when they were wearing masks because they didn't know they weren't real people and could just pretend the pandemic didn't exist.  I watch TV to escape the garbage of the real world, not watch other people deal with the same stuff I deal with.  I get some people may enjoy sharing that experience with someone on TV, but I'd rather escape it and watch tough cowboys blow the bad guy up with impunity.
Spot on...  The Fast & Furious franchise didn't make bajillions because it's "believable".. lol

Users who are viewing this thread