What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You are a sought after HC, would you take the Redskins coaching job (1 Viewer)

Brunell4MVP

Footballguy
Negatives:

• Owner that is always accused of interfering
  • Fan base (I'm part of it) that is faltering amid bad records and awful business decisions (ticket prices, bad stadium location, etc)
  • Bad locker room culture
  • No first round pick
  • Awful defense and special teams
  • Awful OL
Positives:

• Potential franchise QB (and I stress the word potential)
  • Solid RB in Morris, WR in Garcon, and TE in Reed
  • Approximately $38 million under the salary cap in 2014. i think maybe $10m more if Josh Morgan and Trent Williams can be dumped.
  • You will likely be paid $4m+
So, if you are a Gruden, Kevin Sumlin, Todd Bowles or someone else looking to move into a head coach role, do you take this gig even though Shanahan, Gibbs, and Shotty couldn't deal with this guy? I gotta think the next coach asks for the Coach and GM responsibilities, but I don't think they get it. Which may mean a college coach like Sumlin would fit the bill.

I don't think I could work for the guy. I just couldn't respect him. Sort of like Al Davis. Throws money at problems and acts like that is trying.

If you believe in RG3, you take the job. I do and think he's a franchise QB. Build around him and take he job.

No.

If you're a coordinator or college guy looking to break into the ranks, then 100% yes, but an established guy (looking at Cohwer) would want more control and wouldn't want that control to get yanked away at the first hint of failure.

If Shanahan had just gone there and had a couple good years and a couple bad ones it wouldn't have mattered to his legacy. Now, being emasculated by Snyder is going to be one of the ways he's remembered.

No. You're just fighting for another QB in the first round in the long term. Even if RG3 comes back to form, just the way he plays along with his size reminds me of Mike Vick and his durability issues. I don't see RG3 as lasting more than another 5 years in the league the rate he's going.

No.

Snyder is the worst owner in all of sports. The best chance we have of getting a good coach is to go after one of the young up and coming college coaches and hope we catch lighting in a bottle. Nobody established is ever going to work for Snyder ever again.

Norv Turner 17-12 1999-2000

Terry Robiskie 1-2 2000

Marty Schottenheimer 8-8 2001

Steve Spurrier 12-20 2002-2003

Joe Gibbs 30-34 2004-2007

Jim Zorn 10-22 2008-2009

Mike Shanahan 24-37 2010-2013

Wouldn't want any part of it

I'm not sure I agree with all your "givens". Here's what I'd change.

Negatives:

• Owner that is always accused of interfering -- apparently hasn't interfered much in 4 years; we'll know more about this for certain when Shanahan is gone. Has apparently given Shanahan and Allen total control over football for 4 years.
  • Fan base (I'm part of it) that is faltering amid bad records and awful business decisions (ticket prices, bad stadium location, etc) -- Fans hung with the team for the first 3 years of Shanahan, but it's true the fan base is shrinking
  • Bad locker room culture -- There's no fingerpointing or taking swipes at coaches coming from the locker room. Quite the opposite; players are staying loyal to the coaches and each other.
  • No first round pick
  • Awful OL -- Awful OL if you change away from zone blocking. If you stick with zone blocking they're a decent-to-good run blocking line and a bad pass blocking line
  • Defense, more specifically --- if you shift to a 4-3 the line is well-socked, they are weak at LB and DB. If you stick with the 3-4 they are weak all over.
Positives:

• Solid RB in Morris, WR in Garcon, and TE in Reed -- Reed may have ongoing concussion issues.
  • Approximately $38 million under the salary cap in 2014. i think maybe $10m more if Josh Morgan and Trent Williams can be dumped. --- Williams is the best O-lineman on the team and no coach is going to want to dump him. Chris Chester, Tyler Polumbus can and should be dumped and replaced pretty easily. Lichtensteiger and Montgomery are ho-hum. Morgan is a good run blocker and makes catches when tightly covered, which is all the time since he's never open. He's not worth his salary.
  • You will not be Mike Shanahan. You will not be the most hated rat in town.
I doubt any big names would want this job, thankfully. They're all retreads.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Approximately $38 million under the salary cap in 2014. i think maybe $10m more if Josh Morgan and Trent Williams can be dumped.
:lol: Here's where you lose all credibility.

Should the Cardinals consider "dumping" Larry Fitzgerald? How about the Vikings? Should they dump Adrian Peterson?

No.

Snyder is the worst owner in all of sports. The best chance we have of getting a good coach is to go after one of the young up and coming college coaches and hope we catch lighting in a bottle. Nobody established is ever going to work for Snyder ever again.
Yeah, all that staying out of the way and allowing Shanahan to have complete control over the team for multiple years must have been hell for the coach.

Is getting rid of Trent Williams a thing? I'm not a big fan despite being local, but I thought he was one of the ones you'd keep and build around.

No.

Yeah, all that staying out of the way and allowing Shanahan to have complete control over the team for multiple years must have been hell for the coach.
THis.

Is getting rid of Trent Williams a thing? I'm not a big fan despite being local, but I thought he was one of the ones you'd keep and build around.
No, it's not something in demand. He's one of the larger salaries on the club I'm guessing, and when times are bad some Redskin fans go for dumping big salaries without consideration of who would replace them and what the dropoff would be. Skins dropped Ryan Clark and Carlos Rogers in past years, with some fan support. Both were bad moves.

Why wouldn't any of us NOT take the job?
It is like me saying I would not bleep one of the really hot but crazy famous chicks. If I have a better option I would never think about it, but if I remember that this is only one of a handful of opportunities available, I would bleep errr coach like a champ so I could get out of there on my terms.

I don't understand the obsession with hiring big-name coaches. No NFL team in history has ever hired a Super Bowl-winning coach and then gone on to win another Super Bowl with that coach (Shula/Vermeil lost in their first tries, then won with another team; Parcells won and then lost).

It may be a good strategy for reviving a moribund franchise, but the precedent seems pretty clear that you target a hotshot assistant, or, more recently a hotshot college coach.

No.

Great post. Just goes to show that Shanahan's guerrilla tactics in the media are actually working. He's spinning the story his way.

Not a good job. The owner is too active in day to day football issues. Snyder also treats RG3 like his #### don't stink.....giving him preferential treatment over other players.

Add to that all the picks they gave up for someone who has regressed and clearly isn't currently at this point in time a franchise QB and you have problems.

No.

Great post. Just goes to show that Shanahan's guerrilla tactics in the media are actually working. He's spinning the story his way.
It's only working with people who don't follow the Redskins. Maybe that's Shanahan's intended audience, since he's lost this job after failing. But Dan Snyder's intended audience is Redskin fans. And as impossible as it sounds Snyder is coming off like a good guy.

Not a good job. The owner is too active in day to day football issues. Snyder also treats RG3 like his #### don't stink.....giving him preferential treatment over other players.

Add to that all the picks they gave up for someone who has regressed and clearly isn't currently at this point in time a franchise QB and you have problems.
Congratulations. You listen to the media but have no idea what's actually going on. People like you are the ones Shanahan's counting on to swing public opinion in his favor during this ugly separation.

No.

It's only working with people who don't follow the Redskins. Maybe that's Shanahan's intended audience, since he's lost this job after failing. But Dan Snyder's intended audience is Redskin fans. And as impossible as it sounds Snyder is coming off like a good guy.
Yup, see my response above to ITS. Totally agree.

Congratulations. You listen to the media but have no idea what's actually going on. People like you are the ones Shanahan's counting on to swing public opinion in his favor during this ugly separation.
I don't care one way or another. Fire who ever you want. Snyder has a long history of being too visible of an owner. RG3 to me doesn't seem to respect his coaches. I get the feeling from seeing his press conferences he feels he is above them. Why is this? He believed the hype a bit too much IMO.

Barry Cofield of the Redskins

He said he hasn't seen the preferential treatment by owner Dan Snyder to quarterback Robert Griffin III reported in an ESPN.com report Sunday, an issue that has irked Shanahan.

“The only thing that really matters to a football team, I didn't see any of that,” Cofield said. “If you're talking about off the field stuff that has nothing to do with football I don't think that has anything to do with anything. If there's a guy who didn't have to come to meetings or come to practice or run or lift, that could be a problem. Robert's one of the hardest workers on the team and tireless in the meeting rooms. I don't see any of that having any effect on this team. It hasn't come up and this story caught everyone off guard.”

I don't care one way or another. Snyder has a long history of being too visible of an owner. RG3 to me doesn't seem to respect his coaches. I get the feeling from seeing his press conferences he feels he is above them. Why is this? He believed the hype a bit too much IMO.
How has Snyder been "too visible" the last four years?

I don't agree about the press conferences. The media was on his side and laughing it up in the media room with him when he was winning, they've turned on him now that he's losing. Nothing unique about that.

The guy who employs his son as offensive coordinator isn't really complaining about someone else receiving preferential treatment, right?

I don't care one way or another. Snyder has a long history of being too visible of an owner. RG3 to me doesn't seem to respect his coaches. I get the feeling from seeing his press conferences he feels he is above them. Why is this? He believed the hype a bit too much IMO.
How has Snyder been "too visible" the last four years?

I don't agree about the press conferences. The media was on his side and laughing it up in the media room with him when he was winning, they've turned on him now that he's losing. Nothing unique about that.
Preseason he was out of line plenty of times and forced the issue of him playing. His play has been awful ..... I don't think he can read defenses. 1st option covered and he locks up. This won't go away regardless of who comes into coach. I wouldn't touch the job if I was a coaching candidate.

How has Snyder been "too visible" the last four years?I don't agree about the press conferences. The media was on his side and laughing it up in the media room with him when he was winning, they've turned on him now that he's losing. Nothing unique about that.
Preseason he was out of line plenty of times and forced the issue of him playing. His play has been awful ..... I don't think he can read defenses. 1st option covered and he locks up. This won't go away regardless of who comes into coach. I wouldn't touch the job if I was a coaching candidate.
Shanahan could have shut him down any time. It's within every player's nature to want to play as soon as possible. It's a coaches job to make the final decision. You're grasping.Nothing on Snyder the last four years? Didn't think so.

How has Snyder been "too visible" the last four years?I don't agree about the press conferences. The media was on his side and laughing it up in the media room with him when he was winning, they've turned on him now that he's losing. Nothing unique about that.
Shanahan could have shut him down any time. It's within every player's nature to want to play as soon as possible. It's a coaches job to make the final decision. You're grasping.Nothing on Snyder the last four years? Didn't think so.
I'm fine with whatever you choose to believe. Just look at the skins record.

I'm fine with whatever you choose to believe. Just look at the skins record.
You know it's not that simple. You have no answers. You just came into a conversation thinking you had more information than you did. Just stick to your Seahawks. That's a lot more enjoyable anyways, I imagine.

Negatives:

• Owner that is always accused of interfering
  • Fan base (I'm part of it) that is faltering amid bad records and awful business decisions (ticket prices, bad stadium location, etc)
  • Bad locker room culture
  • No first round pick
  • Awful OL
Positives:

• Solid RB in Morris, WR in Garcon, and TE in Reed
So, if you are a Gruden, Kevin Sumlin, Todd Bowles or someone else looking to move into a head coach role, do you take this gig even though Shanahan, Gibbs, and Shotty couldn't deal with this guy? I gotta think the next coach asks for the Coach and GM responsibilities, but I don't think they get it. Which may mean a college coach like Sumlin would fit the bill.

I don't think I could work for the guy. I just couldn't respect him. Sort of like Al Davis. Throws money at problems and acts like that is trying.
Great post until you lumped Snyder w/ Al Davis.

Davis turned into a stubborn ### ******* late in life and did make many errors - but he was a good smart owner for years. His mistake was only failing to realize the game had passed him by. He did however have game.

Snyder has never had - nor does he appear to be getting - game. He is just a dumb arrogant ##### who got lucky enough to play fantasy football for real. Even Shanahan - the semi-##### he is - realizes and wants out of that mess.

So why should he be fired? Besides the 3-10 record.
Yeah, since when did the NFL become all about WINNING? Whatever happened to just playing for the love of the game? All that should matter is that the players are having fun out there and learning good sportsmanship!

Yeah, since when did the NFL become all about WINNING? Whatever happened to just playing for the love of the game? All that should matter is that the players are having fun out there and learning good sportsmanship!
And they won a division title last year for the first time in how many years? I guess that was so long ago it's hard to rember. It's not a done deal. I'm sure Snyder is considering canning him but there's a chance he stays. I think he earned more than one year and I'm sure it's going to be considered after the season.

And they won a division title last year for the first time in how many years? I guess that was so long ago it's hard to rember.
So what did Shanahan do last year that was so great? Besides win a division title.

And they won a division title last year for the first time in how many years? I guess that was so long ago it's hard to rember. It's not a done deal. I'm sure Snyder is considering canning him but there's a chance he stays. I think he earned more than one year and I'm sure it's going to be considered after the season.
They went on a flukey 7-game win streak on the back of a hot, healthy QB running a system that the NFL hadn't adjusted to yet. The defense, which was abysmal and continues to be abysmal, also went on a hot streak during that time. It's was unlikely, and every aspect of the team is worse this year.

He's had four years to fill the roster with "his guys", and this is where we are. Worst ST's in the league. Worst Defense in the league. Undisciplined. Predictable, conservative, slow offense that can do nothing but run the ball well, and pass off of PA. It's pathetic.

I take a pass...

What appears clear is that under Snyder, the waters always seem to get poisoned at some point no matter what regime has been brought in. To his credit, I think Snyder has become less meddlesome than he was earlier in his tenure. But he seems to be the common ingredient in all of the false starts and collapses that WSH has experienced these last 15 years of his stewardship.

They'll find a coach/GM combo...the pay is too good. But it's tough to think any profile will be able to succeed in that environment.

I don't understand the obsession with hiring big-name coaches. No NFL team in history has ever hired a Super Bowl-winning coach and then gone on to win another Super Bowl with that coach (Shula/Vermeil lost in their first tries, then won with another team; Parcells won and then lost).
This is a ridiculous point. It's hard to win a Super Bowl. It's also hard to hire a Super Bowl-winning coach; there are very few who wind up on the market. Here's the list of Super Bowl winning coaches who went on to coach other teams.

Name (team, # of years)

Vince Lombardi (WAS, 1)

Hank Stram (NO, 2)

Don McCafferty (DET, 1)

Tom Flores (SEA, 3)

George Seifert (CAR, 3)

Jimmy Johnson (MIA, 4)

Mike Holmgren (SEA, 10)

Mike Shanahan (WAS, 4)

That's it. 8 coaches in the history of the NFL, and only five of them had anything like a full shot with the new team. So, five coaches failed to win a Super Bowl. That's not news.

Users who are viewing this thread