What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You can boot 3! people from your party. Who are they? (1 Viewer)

I'm still a registered Republican.

Therefore:

Trump - just end the embarrassment.

Kelli Ward and Paul Gosar - for local reasons.

The Democrats need Trump. Without him they're left campaigning on what they've accomplished. Inflation, crime, border crisis, war... At least with Trump they have a boogie man they can motivate their base with. That's why the Dems continue to investigate the guy and keep him in the spotlight.

The Democrats need Trump. Without him they're left campaigning on what they've accomplished. Inflation, crime, border crisis, war... At least with Trump they have a boogie man they can motivate their base with. That's why the Dems continue to investigate the guy and keep him in the spotlight.
Assume for sake of argument that it's all true. Trump really did plan and approve the violence on Jan 6, in an effort to get Pence to leave, so Grassley would take over and "invalidate" the electors. Trump really did take top secret documents. He really did cheat on his taxes. He really did everything else.

Should Democrats ignore it all? What should they do in that scenario?

Therefore:

The Democrats have won 6 of the last 7 popular votes, going all the way back to 1992. This is because Democratic solutions to most issues are more popular with the public. Democrats don’t need Trump; they need to stay in the center.

The other problem with your assertion is that it is Republicans who, in poll after poll, indicate that despite everything they are planning to renominate Trump for President in 2024. Democrats can’t force them to do this. Most Democrats I know, including myself, would prefer if they do not do this.

Assume for sake of argument that it's all true. Trump really did plan and approve the violence on Jan 6, in an effort to get Pence to leave, so Grassley would take over and "invalidate" the electors. Trump really did take top secret documents. He really did cheat on his taxes. He really did everything else.

Should Democrats ignore it all? What should they do in that scenario?

Congressional Committees do not abide by the Federal Rules of Evidence therefore, the "evidence" that they present isn't really "evidence" or at least, not the kind of evidence that I would pay attention to. Hearsay... chain of custody... Yeah, no thanks.

But for arguments sake, should they investigate Trump? I don't know, he is no longer in a position to make decisions on behalf of the United States. Should they be investigating the Biden's? Absolutely.

Therefore:

The Democrats have won 6 of the last 7 popular votes, going all the way back to 1992. This is because Democratic solutions to most issues are more popular with the public. Democrats don’t need Trump; they need to stay in the center.

The other problem with your assertion is that it is Republicans who, in poll after poll, indicate that despite everything they are planning to renominate Trump for President in 2024. Democrats can’t force them to do this. Most Democrats I know, including myself, would prefer if they do not do this.

Tim what evidence do you have the "Democratic solutions to most issues are more popular with the public" and that why people vote Democrat? Is there a study or a poll or are you just making things up based on your perceptions?

Therefore:

Tim what evidence do you have the "Democratic solutions to most issues are more popular with the public" and that why people vote Democrat? Is there a study or a poll or are you just making things up based on your perceptions?
I cited the evidence before I made the assertion: 6 out of 7 popular votes. When the nation gets to choose, they prefer the Democrat.

Therefore:

I cited the evidence before I made the assertion: 6 out of 7 popular votes. When the nation gets to choose, they prefer the Democrat.

Tim you are aware that isn't evidence of "Democratic solutions to most issues are more popular with the public".

Large blue states like California and New York skew the overall results. Biden beat Trump by 5,000,000 votes in California and 2,000,000 votes in New York. Those two States are not representative of "the public", they're just liberal bubbles.

Or they could run on the infrastructure bill, the job creation, low unemployment, etc.

Does the evidence of number of votes count? Democrats have consistently received significantly more votes in POTUS, Senate, and House elections.

Therefore:

Tim you are aware that isn't evidence of "Democratic solutions to most issues are more popular with the public".

Large blue states like California and New York skew the overall results. Biden beat Trump by 5,000,000 votes in California and 2,000,000 votes in New York. Those two States are not representative of "the public", they're just liberal bubbles.
No state by itself is representative but the collective 50 states are.

Therefore:

From a simple math perspective,* total votes are total votes. And those slightly favor blue.

*Which is not how our voting system works so this is somewhat of a fruitless exercise/debate. But the "popular" vote is simply just that and Tim's numbers are correct.

Therefore:

They are absolutely representative of the public as a whole. California is the most populous state; thus we are more representative of the public than any other state could claim to be. We don’t skew the overall results; we create the overall results.

Therefore:

From a simple math perspective,* total votes are total votes. And those slightly favor blue.

*Which is not how our voting system works so this is somewhat of a fruitless exercise/debate. But the "popular" vote is simply just that and Tim's numbers are correct.
It’s not fruitless in terms of my assertion that Democratic ideas are more popular with the public.

Therefore:

It’s not fruitless in terms of my assertion that Democratic ideas are more popular with the public.
Agreed.

Though I'd argue that a significant portion of the public probably cannot discern between "Democratic ideas" and "Republican ideas." Nonetheless, in terms of supporting your assertion the overall popular vote does support your claim.

Therefore:

My mom always tried to give me money when I was gr

Therefore:

Exactly why the "Founders" of our great country were so brilliant in creating a system when all states are stakeholders and have a say.

Trump beat Clinton because he did not waste any time in Cally or NY as they would vote for Castro if he had a D on his ballot. Clinton wasted too much time in states where she was already going to win and did not pound the battle ground states who decided that election. Any vote over the one that makes a victory does not matter. Many GOPers from Cally and NY do not even bother to vote for POTUS as it is fruitless.

It is like a football game. Does not matter if you win 77-0, or 21-20. Just win the game.

Therefore:

Therefore:

Exactly why the "Founders" of our great country were so brilliant in creating a system when all states are stakeholders and have a say.

Trump beat Clinton because he did not waste any time in Cally or NY as they would vote for Castro if he had a D on his ballot. Clinton wasted too much time in states where she was already going to win and did not pound the battle ground states who decided that election. Any vote over the one that makes a victory does not matter. Many GOPers from Cally and NY do not even bother to vote for POTUS as it is fruitless.

It is like a football game. Does not matter if you win 77-0, or 21-20. Just win the game.
That would be like you score 20 points and your opponent scores 10 points and your opponent still wins.

Therefore:

Therefore:

That would be like you score 20 points and your opponent scores 10 points and your opponent still wins.
Eh, it's probably more akin to you producing 500 yards of overall offense and keep your opponent to under 300 but you still lose 21-18 because you had to keep settling for field goals.

Or, using different sport that seems to be a better fit, you lose a baseball game 3-2 despite having ten hits to your opponent's three.

Therefore:

Therefore:

That statement that California and New York would vote for Castro (I presume you mean Fidel) if he had a D by his name may be a throwaway attempt at humor by you. But if you’re serious then you really don’t understand the politics of those states. In terms of statewide elections, both states consistently favor centrist, moderate Democrats. True leftists do not perform well outside of selective districts.

Therefore:

Therefore:

Eh, it's probably more akin to you producing 500 yards of overall offense and keep your opponent to under 300 but you still lose 21-18 because you had to keep settling for field goals.

Or, using different sport that seems to be a better fit, you lose a baseball game 3-2 despite having ten hits to your opponent's three.

So, it means there were rules in place prior to the game? Surprised these sports have not changed the rules, seems a much fairer way of keeping score.

Therefore:

Who is "the public" if it doesn't include all the people in NY and CA?

Eric Swalwell...see ya.
I'm surprised more people weren't concerned about him dating a Chinese spy. It's hard to believe we live in a day and age where the guy could get canceled for using a wrong pronoun, but dating a Chinese spy no big deal.
Not just no big deal, but the chair of the Intelligence Strategic Technologies and Advanced Research subcommittee. The current leadership there evidently doesn't care at all about things leaking to the Chinese. After all, of what importance are our strategic technologies and advanced research?

No state by itself is representative but the collective 50 states are.
Exactly. And this is why the electoral college system is so brilliant.

Therefore:

Therefore:

That statement that California and New York would vote for Castro (I presume you mean Fidel) if he had a D by his name may be a throwaway attempt at humor by you. But if you’re serious then you really don’t understand the politics of those states. In terms of statewide elections, both states consistently favor centrist, moderate Democrats. True leftists do not perform well outside of selective districts.

Tim there are registered Democrats and there are registered Republicans. A majority of those registered voters vote on party line regardless of policy. Since there are close to 15M more registered Democrats you would expect them to win popular vote totals. But a majority of those votes are clustered into a small amount of states so saying that those states represent "the public", I'd say that is a stretch.

If you want to see how people feel about which issues are "more popular with the public" then you should be looking at the Independent vote. For example in 2020 Biden won 54% of the Independent votes (Trump 41%), in 2016 47% of Independents voted for Trump (41% voted for Clinton). In 2012 50% of Independents voted for Romney (45% voted for Obama). Independent voters are the voters who are more likely to vote based on policy than party.

Tim there are registered Democrats and there are registered Republicans. A majority of those registered voters vote on party line regardless of policy. Since there are close to 15M more registered Democrats you would expect them to win popular vote totals. But a majority of those votes are clustered into a small amount of states so saying that those states represent "the public", I'd say that is a stretch.
This makes no sense. When talking about popularity (which is what you guys are doing), what does it matter where the people are? Do you think there's a meaningful difference between those people being in 2 states vs 5? If 10M people were all to be found in one state vs evenly spread among the 50 states, it's still 10M people. And in both cases, it's "the public". In your view, how many states do all those people have to be spread over before they represent "the public"?

Therefore:

Last I checked CA and NY are part of "the public".

If you want to see how people feel about which issues are "more popular with the public" then you should be looking at the Independent vote. For example in 2020 Biden won 54% of the Independent votes (Trump 41%), in 2016 47% of Independents voted for Trump (41% voted for Clinton). In 2012 50% of Independents voted for Romney (45% voted for Obama). Independent voters are the voters who are more likely to vote based on policy than party.
This logic is beyond flawed. What if the registered voters were 75% D, 20% R, and 5% I? Would you argue that "the public" prefers R policies if the Is happened to vote 3-2 that year?

The simple fact is that Democrats get a much higher percentage of votes for POTUS, Senate, and House elections than Republicans. It's really not been close. This is certainly evidence that the people who make up "the public" prefer Democrat policies. You can say it's not enough evidence or offer competing evidence, but it certainly is evidence.

This logic is beyond flawed. What if the registered voters were 75% D, 20% R, and 5% I? Would you argue that "the public" prefers R policies if the Is happened to vote 3-2 that year?

The simple fact is that Democrats get a much higher percentage of votes for POTUS, Senate, and House elections than Republicans. It's really not been close. This is certainly evidence that the people who make up "the public" prefer Democrat policies. You can say it's not enough evidence or offer competing evidence, but it certainly is evidence.

If you're testing to see which parties policies are more popular to the public, you don't use the registered voters of the party, they are the control group of the study. You use the voters who are not affiliated to a party to see which policies are more popular since those voters tend to vote based on policy and not party.

Not sure I'd go that far. When you have a 50.1/49.9 split and ALL your votes go to the 50.1, there's plenty of room for improvement in the lackluster construction.
Each state can change their rules to split it out like Nebraska does. Let's start with California. :p

If you're testing to see which parties policies are more popular to the public, you don't use the registered voters of the party, they are the control group of the study. You use the voters who are not affiliated to a party to see which policies are more popular since those voters tend to vote based on policy and not party.
Instead of addressing the question, you just repeated the same flawed logic from the previous post.

Also the argument began with the statement that there are 15 million more registered Democrats than Republicans.

But why is that? Could it be that Democratic policy is more popular?

Not sure I'd go that far. When you have a 50.1/49.9 split and ALL your votes go to the 50.1, there's plenty of room for improvement in the lackluster construction.
Each state can change their rules to split it out like Nebraska does. Let's start with California. :p
Wish they were able to reduce the 270 number and force everything proportional, but I know that can't happen and if it did, it would be the end of the GOP as we know it. It would take decades to regroup.

They are "control groups", if and only if they are the same in size.

Therefore:

“Take away that 50-yard TD run and that 20-yard TD run and the RB really didn’t have that great a game.”

Users who are viewing this thread