What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You NEED a DRONE, Dude > $50 with HD cam? Unpossible! (2 Viewers)

I don't look forward to everyone and their mother flying these things everywhere.

I forsee many being shot down and fights ensuing.
Why would they be shot down? Especially in urban areas it's illegal to dicharge firearms in most cases.

Just ordered one for my son's birthday, based on your rec.
Anyone new to Quadcopter / Drone piloting should use this website : Quadcopter 101

Great asset for learning the basics in clearly defined steps. If you just fire it up and take off high and far, you'll likely lose it or trash it unless you're in a huge open area with limited wind and trees/etc to cause issues.

Start with hovering... then using pitch/roll to hold space... then move around using pitch roll. once you master those 3 dimensions, then you can start playing with Rudder and such.

The noise disrupting the tranquility. It was odd hearing the hum before we met up with the group. :shrug:
I could definitely see this being an issue at certain spots. There is nothing tranquil bout four cheap-### chinese DC motors whirring along at 5000rpm :lol:

So obviously this looks cool, but what are the real world uses outside of just flying it around.

I have hours of video from a vacation I haven't gotten around to, can't imagine images of nothing will keep my attention

So obviously this looks cool, but what are the real world uses outside of just flying it around.

I have hours of video from a vacation I haven't gotten around to, can't imagine images of nothing will keep my attention
Well..... there IS the whole entertainment value of actually, you know, FLYING the thing too... :P

But yah. For me I'm planning on taking it out to BBQfest to try and capture a couple neat fly by clips of our booth for a short video we're producing this year. May or may not work based on crowds and winds... absent that, mostly just for kicks/fun. It's a load of fun to fly around.

Cookout with some guys this saturday night at a buddy's place who's got a huge lawn (7-8 acres). I envision there will be hours of semi-sober flying of the Syma at day/night.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can see using it to check your roof and/order gutters without having to get on a ladder.

I don't look forward to everyone and their mother flying these things everywhere.

Why would they be shot down? Especially in urban areas it's illegal to dicharge firearms in most cases.
Noise, invasion of privacy, etc. To you, it might just be a cool helicopter thingie but to someone else, it could be someone trying to snoop in their backyard and take pictures and or videos.

I'm easygoing and don't really care but I definitely see people getting annoyed and angry.

Just ordered a 2nd one that doesn't have a camera. Only $42 with Free 2nd day Prime Shipping.

Drone Dogfights Saturday night after BBQ/crawfish :boxing:

Noise, invasion of privacy, etc. To you, it might just be a cool helicopter thingie but to someone else, it could be someone trying to snoop in their backyard and take pictures and or videos.

I'm easygoing and don't really care but I definitely see people getting annoyed and angry.
I've always been fascinated with the law.

Really? What areas?

Oh, all areas. Personal privacy, noise statutes.

I can see using it to check your roof and/order gutters without having to get on a ladder.
I work for a medical helicopter company and drones have been the hot topic the past year or so. The uses for drones really are endless... I just read an article this morning that talked about using drones to clean your gutters and windows. It also talked about "smart" drones that could be used to relay parking information to people looking for open parking spots. The FAA is being pressed to allow them to be used for farming purposes like checking fields to find spots that could use more irrigation or spots being destroyed by parasites, checking pipes for leaks, etc. They've been using drones to study whales, fight fires, track animals, etc. And everyone has heard of Amazon and Google looking into delivering packages with drones.

The problem will be when some jackass flies too close to an airline (this has happened several times) or takes down a medical helicopter. I can't imagine the regulations that will come when that happens.

My property literally borders a no-drone zone. That could make this fun!

I've always wanted to tinker with these things.
Will the drone just bounce off the border?
I picture myself sitting on my balcony being a total nuisance to the FAA guy or whoever monitors mundane bull#### like this by skirting the border with it. Maybe every now and then letting just the tip penetrate the border and making a euphemistic joke out of it if they threaten me.

Can you control it with a smartphone? Can you see the camera view as you record video?
No. You don't want one controlled by a smartphone. Wifi enabled with horrible range and spotty signal reliability. Plus the smartphone is simply not an ideal controller for this kinda stuff. Once you've got one of these flying through the sky at 20-30mph you'll quickly realize you've got your hands full with regular sticks. Touch screen would be worthless IMO.

To see the camera view as you record, you need an FPV (first person video) enabled quad. The options for this were covered earlier in the thread. Basically you have two options for signal (wifi = crap, 5.6Ghz = good) and three options for viewing (Smartphone via Wifi = Crap, On small controller mounted screen via 5.6Ghz (good), and dorkGoggles™ via 5.6Ghz = best but extra dorky and expensive)

Last edited by a moderator:
This drone stuff won't get interesting until people start buying anti-drone drones, to kill other peoples' quadcopters.

Put that on your GoPro, #####!

Looking into these a bit more, theres a ton of them out there with FPV under $200. Heres a cool little video of a palm sized one that costs $140,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7y-VInWKGs

http://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-H107D-FPV-Mini-Quadcopter/dp/B00GSNWB5K/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1429730860&sr=1-1&keywords=Hubsan+H107D+FPV+X4+Mini+RTF+Quadcopter

I see an entry level FPV QC in my near future.
Yep. Thats not a bad starter. The issues with FPV on controller screen is many people struggle to focus on the screen and not look at the quad... plus it's not nearly as detailed as the goggle setups.... which is why most folks eventually ditch the controller view and move to goggle view apparently.

:googles;

I have to admit, this race looks pretty cool. Although I bet the live event is a cross between a LARP event and a Star Trek convention
Me and my dad used to be heavily involved in racing RC cars when I was younger. Holy crap that looks AWESOME.

My son got a drone for his bday. I think I've flown it more than he has. Tons of fun learning how to fly it.

Users who are viewing this thread