What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You NEED a DRONE, Dude > $50 with HD cam? Unpossible! (2 Viewers)

After more reviewing and watching of videos decided to go with the Phantom 3 Standard..
Had a HELL of a time getting the Go app to run on my Samsung Galaxy 4, but found a work around on a forum and had some fun learning how to use it over the weekend.

Created this short video of our Vineyard, "Orchard" and our backyard with the nice Fire Pit. :)
Nice. I had problems getting the app to sync as well. Turns out you have to put most of the new phones in airplane mode and it will work.

After more reviewing and watching of videos decided to go with the Phantom 3 Standard..
Had a HELL of a time getting the Go app to run on my Samsung Galaxy 4, but found a work around on a forum and had some fun learning how to use it over the weekend.

Created this short video of our Vineyard, "Orchard" and our backyard with the nice Fire Pit. :)
Nice. I had problems getting the app to sync as well. Turns out you have to put most of the new phones in airplane mode and it will work.
My issue was just getting past the "activation" part. Spent 45 minutes with DJI Support and the best they could do was recommend getting a new phone. :rant:

As I was working with them I kept searching... one recommendation was to NOT download the Go app from Google Play. They recommended scanning in the QR Code from the quick start manual and install that way.
After uninstalling the app, and following those steps I was able to activate and start flying :thumbup:

Is the Syma X5C still the best buy in the ~$50 range or are there better ones these days?  I'm going to get one for my brother for Christmas, it's a virtual guarantee that he'll crash it 6 times before nightfall.  I'm not getting him anything over $60, max.  TIA.

Is the Syma X5C still the best buy in the ~$50 range or are there better ones these days?  I'm going to get one for my brother for Christmas, it's a virtual guarantee that he'll crash it 6 times before nightfall.  I'm not getting him anything over $60, max.  TIA.
I had this one. Worked pretty good as a beginner drone til I let daughter fly it to close to the house and it flew out of range then crashed into house.  Unfixable engine beyond my capabilties. 

It does drone things and does take pictures, video, so for $50 it's fine.   I'd recommend getting extra battery packs since each battery is good for ~7 minutes. I'd also recommend flying in open areas (no ####, right?) - you can control it pretty well in tight areas, but one small push on that joystick and the thing is gone in less than a second.  That model has lots of online support. 

I had this one. Worked pretty good as a beginner drone til I let daughter fly it to close to the house and it flew out of range then crashed into house.  Unfixable engine beyond my capabilties. 

It does drone things and does take pictures, video, so for $50 it's fine.   I'd recommend getting extra battery packs since each battery is good for ~7 minutes. I'd also recommend flying in open areas (no ####, right?) - you can control it pretty well in tight areas, but one small push on that joystick and the thing is gone in less than a second.  That model has lots of online support. 
My brother is an idiot.  50% chance it ends up in a retention pond or on someone's roof before 12/25 is over. 

That's pretty much all I'm looking for - (relatively) easy to fly, fun, takes halfway decent photos/video.  Not even considering an expensive one, he doesn't need it.  I'm looking at this one that gets mentioned a lot in this thread as well as a couple of others on Amazon that get similar/better ratings in the $40-60 price range, just wondering if two years later, there are better options at that price point.  Thanks for the info, Brony.

Specifically, the UDI U818A (most recommended across the webz) and the DROCON X708W (highest avg rating on Amazon in the price range)

mr. furley said:
UPDATE? DID SUPERBABY CRASH IT YET?

considering getting one since we now live across from an area that would be drone friendly 
Lol at "superbaby".  He's 13.  We are getting old.

We haven't used it yet.  Waiting until spring.

Where are we at with drones now guys? Looking for something with decent value for my 10-yo son. Is icon’s OP Syma still decent? We loved our Syma helicopter before the battery lost its charge.

My budget was $300 for something new, unused, and sealed as a gift.  I ended up picking up a DJI Spark mini drone after doing quite a bit of online research for about $220/shipped from eBay.

Where are we at with drones now guys? Looking for something with decent value for my 10-yo son. Is icon’s OP Syma still decent? We loved our Syma helicopter before the battery lost its charge.
I’m guessing there are much better options out there now. Curious to hear about them :popcorn:  

Do they have them with some sort of warning to the controller if there is another flying near yours? Maybe like a radar thing if not? A camera that watches the sky and the ground?  I would hate to have a mid air crash after spending all that money? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they have them with some sort of warning to the controller if there is another flying near yours? Maybe like a radar thing if not? A camera that watches the sky and the ground?  I would hate to have a mid air crash after spending all that money? 
:lol:  are you seriously asking if there is 360 degree collision avoidance radar on a $50 drone? No. 

Im not even sure there is any on the $1000-2000 Pro-Sumer models. Flyer beware. 

I’ll say the cheap ones are designed to be crashed. I’m pretty confident you could smack two into each other midair and they’d be just fine. Hell we intentionally try to take each other out of the air sometimes :lol:  

:lol:  are you seriously asking if there is 360 degree collision avoidance radar on a $50 drone? No. 

Im not even sure there is any on the $1000-2000 Pro-Sumer models. Flyer beware. 

I’ll say the cheap ones are designed to be crashed. I’m pretty confident you could smack two into each other midair and they’d be just fine. Hell we intentionally try to take each other out of the air sometimes :lol:  
Do the expensive ones actually have radar? I was half kidding but wow.

My budget was $300 for something new, unused, and sealed as a gift.  I ended up picking up a DJI Spark mini drone after doing quite a bit of online research for about $220/shipped from eBay.
That's a good deal!  I'm getting the Spark too (glad to hear your research lead you to the same one). Love the size and reported ease-of-use. Pretty pumped to add it to my arsenal.  :thumbup:

Do the expensive ones actually have radar? I was half kidding but wow.
Oh I was saying I don’t know if even they have it.

I know they have stuff like GPS hold in place, the ability to automatically return to the launch point and land when battery gets low, etc 

E-Z Glider said:
That's a good deal!  I'm getting the Spark too (glad to hear your research lead you to the same one). Love the size and reported ease-of-use. Pretty pumped to add it to my arsenal.  :thumbup:
It seems to be a mini in every sense of the word.  I'm shocked at how small the OEM box is. 

Debating whether or not to get the remote controller, which I haven't seen for under $90 anywhere.

It seems to be a mini in every sense of the word.  I'm shocked at how small the OEM box is. 

Debating whether or not to get the remote controller, which I haven't seen for under $90 anywhere.
Yeah, I got the combo pack that came with all the accessories. Sounds like you need the controller to fly it any distances or to do much beyond the pre-programmed shots. Love that you can take off and land from your hand. Got lots of plans for this thing!

What are the laws regarding drones being shot out of the skys?
In most states, If over your property it is considered trespassing and is legal to take down a drone over your property. :thumbup:

PIK95 said:
I believe the nicer drones have collision avoidance for lateral and below.  I don't think they defend for collisions from above.

I've been looking into the DJI and other drones for a while now, but couldn't quite pull the trigger.  Made a comment a while back to my boss about a drone being helpful in our line of work.  He laughed it off with the reasoning being (biggest client) would never let us fly on their property.

Boss found out on a conference call that another company that does work for (biggest client) has used a drone.  So now I'm looking into getting an official FAA UAV certificate. Should be fun.   :oldunsure:  

Ordered a study guide to see how tough it is to obtain the certificate before I pull the trigger on a drone.  The company will buy one, but would still want one of my own to sharpen my piloting skills.  :)  

With reports of "drone swarms" in Colorado and Nebraska being all over mainstream and social media, I picked a good time to order a drone to fly in Nebraska.   I will let you know if I cause a local stir.  :lmao:  

I've been looking into the DJI and other drones for a while now, but couldn't quite pull the trigger.  Made a comment a while back to my boss about a drone being helpful in our line of work.  He laughed it off with the reasoning being (biggest client) would never let us fly on their property.

Boss found out on a conference call that another company that does work for (biggest client) has used a drone.  So now I'm looking into getting an official FAA UAV certificate. Should be fun.   :oldunsure:  

Ordered a study guide to see how tough it is to obtain the certificate before I pull the trigger on a drone.  The company will buy one, but would still want one of my own to sharpen my piloting skills.  :)  
Did you pass? I watched this about 4 times and passed.

Can I get a drone recommendation?

Simplicity of use and flying time are important. Kids want to play with and it will most likely end up getting destroyed, so cheap is good.

fantasycurse42 said:
https://www.amazon.com/Ruko-Quadcopter-Beginner-Brushless-Batteries/dp/B07VCD1SRL?SubscriptionId=AKIAIWQDLOMSAIGTOFWA&tag=keithe-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07VCD1SRL#customerReviews

Going with that... I know nothing about drones, so if anyone has an opinion, I'd be happy to hear.

DJI Mavic Mini and Holy Stone HS720 are also being considered, if anyone has any of these...
How old are your kids?  Be prepared to crash or lose it.  Also be wary of the reviews for the drone you linked from Amazon.  Fakespot.com did not like the reviews.

The DJI is more money and it can still be crashed or lost, but DJI is at least a "name brand" drone.  The higher priced drones are going to be easier to fly, but I understand the issue with younger kids.

Just flew mine (Autel Evo) for the first time in town.  It's amazing how stable and easy it is to fly compared to the $75 drone I had previously.  I'm sure the less expensive ones have gotten better in the last few years though. 

How old are your kids?  Be prepared to crash or lose it.  Also be wary of the reviews for the drone you linked from Amazon.  Fakespot.com did not like the reviews.

The DJI is more money and it can still be crashed or lost, but DJI is at least a "name brand" drone.  The higher priced drones are going to be easier to fly, but I understand the issue with younger kids.

Just flew mine (Autel Evo) for the first time in town.  It's amazing how stable and easy it is to fly compared to the $75 drone I had previously.  I'm sure the less expensive ones have gotten better in the last few years though. 
Thanks, so is the one I linked basically two dudes sitting in a garage putting them together as an order comes in?

the specs all seem great, but I’m not sure if they’re a real company. The Holy Stone HS720 seems to be a slightly more legit company, but idk.

I need something delivered by Thursday and I’m between those 3. I like the one I linked bc it comes with two batteries, has a long flying time, and appears to have some “autopilot” type features.  

Users who are viewing this thread