What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your favorite Podcast (3 Viewers)

bump

Listening to:

BS Report with Bill Simmons

The Adam Carolla Podcast

The Sports Junkies(local DC show, anybody who likes sports and pop culture will love it!)

Using DoggCatcher Podcast program for my Android.
Good call. Just started listening to these guys this week. Very entertaining.

Incogneto said:
Ultimate Football Talk.Great football (sports) chat, with the explicit tag.
A new one posted today. It's basically just a couple of guys shooting the #### about football, with some good laughs. Take a listen!

Joe RoganGreg FitzsimonsAdam Carolla
Holy egos Batman. These guys are all perfect podcast guys. They love to hear themselves talk and they love to talk about themselves. In small doses, I'm sure they're pretty good. Not sure I could take more than an hour or two a month from this bunch though. I kind of like "Masters of None" from simplysyndicated.com. Funny guys if they have the right topic. Of course, they pale in comparison to the Movies You Should See bunch...but who doesn't?

The Carolla podcast has changed slightly to resemble the old morning radio show. Teresa Strasser is back with the news, and Bald Brian in doing drops again.

So far, so good! a big improvement from the old podcast!

Car Talk and 60 Minutes. 60 minutes is the audio from the show. Usually it's all you really need. Only once or twice have I been compelled to seek out the video from what I heard.

Also for a couple of great stories on Podcast (Podiobooks) thru iTunes also. My personal favorite is Crescent. The author Phil Rossi has several excellent stories. Also reccomend Scott Sigler's stories.

Thanks to this thread I have expanded my podcast repertoire.

On top of my daily APM: Marketplace, which is a fantastic way for an average guy to stay on top of financial news (and even identify the occasional market trend for investment) and weekly NPR: Wait, wait don't tell me which is just great for a current events laugh; I have added:

This American Life (weekly) which typically tells stories relating to human interest (standing up to 'the man') or interesting information that people are likely unaware (like the application of the psychopath test in our justice system).

Movies You Should See (weekly) just a couple Brits talking about movies (or occasionally devoting a show to a specific actor's career). They're pretty funny, often go off on tangents and usually provide me with at least one movie recommendation that is worth exploring (this week it's going to be Formula 51). I also usually walk away with one or two funny British slang words that are worth working into your vocabulary (like, chav :lmao: ). Be aware they are sometimes, but not always, spoiler heavy.

The Moth - A series of brief vignettes told by regular people. The Moth sponsors events, with a defined theme, all over the country, and people just show up and tell stories relating to that theme. The producers then choose one or two stories for the podcast which is only about 15 minutes and, while a little hit-or-miss, you get some really interesting and entertaining stories.

Radiolab (bi-monthly) I have only listened to one podcast so far but if they are all like that it might be the best one on this list. The episode I listened to was called Talking to Machines that explored the line between human, machines & A.I. The hosts are not dry science geeks at all, they keep it up beat, accessible and funny. I will definitely be listening to more of this.

Imprimis (every other month) - Not my favorite but this is an often interesting podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College. About as conservative a podcast as you will find. Often more surprising and illuminating that I would have thought and occasionally as bughouse loco as one would expect from a conservative podcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
This American Life (weekly) which typically tells stories relating to human interest (standing up to 'the man') or interesting information that people are likely unaware (like the application of the psychopath test in our justice system).

The Moth - A series of brief vignettes told by regular people. The Moth sponsors events, with a defined theme, all over the country, and people just show up and tell stories relating to that theme. The producers then choose one or two stories for the podcast which is only about 15 minutes and, while a little hit-or-miss, you get some really interesting and entertaining stories.
These are two of my favorites. I think you'd like Storycorps. Very brief (under five minutes) stories told by regular folks. My only problem now is an embarrassment of riches. I have so many good podcasts to listen to that I cannot even come close to hearing them all.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but fans of comedy MUST check out Mark Mayron's WTF Podcast.

It's brilliant. You'll never hear a comedian speak so honestly as you will here. Some will bristle about Mayron's personality. But the guy asks great questions and elicits great answers. Awesome stuff from the best stand-up comedians in the business.

These are two of my favorites. I think you'd like Storycorps. Very brief (under five minutes) stories told by regular folks. My only problem now is an embarrassment of riches. I have so many good podcasts to listen to that I cannot even come close to hearing them all.
I've heard some storycorps on KPBS (local NPR affiliate). Good stuff. Like you, though, I have to find time to listen to them all.

I've heard some storycorps on KPBS (local NPR affiliate). Good stuff. Like you, though, I have to find time to listen to them all.
I totally sympathize. That said, dump one of your podcasts for the WTF podcast.

I do all of my podcast listening at work.

I used to listen to Carolla's podcast and Kevin Smith's Smodcast a lot, but recently stopped. No real reason. Just ran out of time, I guess. Plus Kevin Smith can get a little long-winded at times.

I consistently listen to Sarah and Vinnie. They are a SF morning radio show. They also do a "secret show" which is off-air where they talk about anything. Usually leads to sex and butt-play talk. They do have to bleep out some words (due to CBS standards and practices), but it is still damn funny.

I'll listen to Don Geronimo, too, if I have extra time.

(I may have listed these before in previous posts, but I can't remember and I don't want to read through them all to find out.)

The BS Report where Bill Simmons and Matthew Berry discussed 90210 was awesome. I know, there's usually some sort of reference in most shows, but this one was dedicated to all things 90210 (Brandon, Kelly, Dylan era).

And the one that Bill did when Friday Night Lights had its series finale was phenomenal as well.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but fans of comedy MUST check out Mark Mayron's WTF Podcast.

It's brilliant. You'll never hear a comedian speak so honestly as you will here. Some will bristle about Mayron's personality. But the guy asks great questions and elicits great answers. Awesome stuff from the best stand-up comedians in the business.
This was me. I listened through 3 episodes and found it irritating more often than funny. I tried finding funny podcasts on various lists on the web and Maron's podcast was on most, so I fully admit that I'm probably in the minority.

This was me. I listened through 3 episodes and found it irritating more often than funny. I tried finding funny podcasts on various lists on the web and Maron's podcast was on most, so I fully admit that I'm probably in the minority.
I understand. I'm so used to hosts being cold and indifferent, it's kind of refreshing to hear a host say to a guest, "I didn't like you at first because I envied your success."

My rotation for my 20 minute commute is:

Bill Simmons BS Report - usually listen to all non-baseball and non-Boston ones

The Nerdist - has grown on me. Makes me laugh almost every time.

Adam Carolla - used to like it more. The frequent ads and the news keep me away.

'jdoggydogg said:
'Chaka said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Chaka said:

90 minutes with Amy Poehler? Very :unsure:

'jdoggydogg said:
'Chaka said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Chaka said:

Keep reading the list...

Keep reading the list...
I sometimes think I have a mild form of Tourette's Syndrome because there are certain things that I must do in a very specific way or it eats into the back of my mind like maggots on 5 day old beef. In this case I absolutely must listen to the most recent one first and only if it captures my imagination will I explore the greater catalog. I also swear enough to make a teamster blush. Yeah, I know it's kinda weird.But don't worry, it's second in my queue and scheduled to be listened to on my Thursday walk home from the office.

Keep reading the list...
I sometimes think I have a mild form of Tourette's Syndrome because there are certain things that I must do in a very specific way or it eats into the back of my mind like maggots on 5 day old beef. In this case I absolutely must listen to the most recent one first and only if it captures my imagination will I explore the greater catalog. I also swear enough to make a teamster blush. Yeah, I know it's kinda weird.But don't worry, it's second in my queue and scheduled to be listened to on my Thursday walk home from the office.
As someone afflicted with mild OCD, I sympathize.

Keep reading the list...
47 minutes in to the podcast and still waiting for the funny. So far it's just him and Poehler chatting about the past and referring to people who are apparently famous today but I don't know who they're talking about because they only use first names. If it's going to be an interview show I would like the interviewer to set up the audience a little better so we know what the hell the interview is about.Maybe I chose the wrong episode but so far this won't make my rotation.

Jay Mohr just started his podcast "Mohr Stories." It's on Kevin Smith's smodcast label. So far it's been pretty funny.

Keep reading the list...
47 minutes in to the podcast and still waiting for the funny. So far it's just him and Poehler chatting about the past and referring to people who are apparently famous today but I don't know who they're talking about because they only use first names. If it's going to be an interview show I would like the interviewer to set up the audience a little better so we know what the hell the interview is about.Maybe I chose the wrong episode but so far this won't make my rotation.
Maybe it's about expectations? It's not always laugh out loud funny, but I expect the show to be smart - and it always delivers.

Keep reading the list...
Maybe it's about expectations? It's not always laugh out loud funny, but I expect the show to be smart - and it always delivers.
Did you listen to the Poehler interview? Can you give me some examples of where it was smart and delivered? I check his podcast catalog and the next time I see someone interesting on his interview list I will give it another shot.

'Chaka said:
'jdoggydogg said:
Keep reading the list...
Did you listen to the Poehler interview? Can you give me some examples of where it was smart and delivered? I check his podcast catalog and the next time I see someone interesting on his interview list I will give it another shot.
I didn't hear it yet. If you don't like the Louis CK interview then this podcast isn't for you.

wasnt mentioned here yet, probably because its not an active podcast anymore but the old ricky gervais podcast is insanely funny. at the end og the day, its by far the funniest thing i've heard/watched/read/witnessed in my life. :excited:

i consider bill simmons and radio lab to be in the elite class

lots of good ones after them... carolla, rogan, stuff you should know, american life, planet money, the moth, TEDtalks (didnt start this one yet but their website clips are very good, im expecting the same here)

Don't do too many:

Real Time with Bill Maher - I don't have HBO anymore, so this is my fix

/Filmcast - JDogg recommended this one and I've been hooked. Been visiting the old ones and listening to their reviews after I watch the DVD. Great set of guests too

Savage Love - always has be laughing.

Freedomain Radio - just started with this one. looks like he is about 2700 episodes in, but it's a Canadian Libertarian's podcast. First few were good building blocks on the philosophy behind it and why he thinks like he does. Recommend this one for anybody interested or pissed off with the government.

/Filcast - JDogg recommended this one and I've been hooked. Been visiting the old ones and listening to their reviews after I watch the DVD. Great set of guests too
Glad you liked it. I'm finally close to making it through the archives and am near to catching up to the recent shows.

/Filmcast - JDogg recommended this one and I've been hooked. Been visiting the old ones and listening to their reviews after I watch the DVD. Great set of guests too
Glad you liked it. I'm finally close to making it through the archives and am near to catching up to the recent shows.
Is the only way to do the old ones online? The oldest one that shows up in my itunes is Ep.107. Really want to dig through from the beginning with stuff like The Dark Knight, etc.. but have only been able to do it streaming on my phone.

Also, have you listened to the Tobolowski Files?

Is the only way to do the old ones online? The oldest one that shows up in my itunes is Ep.107. Really want to dig through from the beginning with stuff like The Dark Knight, etc.. but have only been able to do it streaming on my phone.

I don't know if there's another archive. Although, looking at this link, it does offer an "audio mp3" link that'll allow you to right-click and save as an MP3 file.How are the Tobolowski Files?

When do you guys listen to podcasts? I listen to music if I'm doing cardio. I guess if you commute as a passenger to work maybe?

I don't know if there's another archive. Although, looking at this link, it does offer an "audio mp3" link that'll allow you to right-click and save as an MP3 file.

How are the Tobolowski Files?
Downloaded a couple last week, but haven't gotten a change to listen yet.

When do you guys listen to podcasts? I listen to music if I'm doing cardio. I guess if you commute as a passenger to work maybe?
I am constantly listening to something, music or podcast. I'll listen while doing chores around the house, while driving without the wife or kid, while I play a game like Madden, sometimes listen to a podcast instead of reading before bed, etc, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread