What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Top 3-5 Favorite Films (1 Viewer)

Two each from three directors

That Obscure Object of Desire

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

A Woman Under the Influence 

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 

Harakiri

Samurai Rebellion

Two each from three directors

That Obscure Object of Desire

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

A Woman Under the Influence 

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 

Harakiri

Samurai Rebellion
:wub:

in my next 5. always felt like one of the truest combo of direction and performances out there.

In some order...

The Shawshank Redemption

Bull Durham

Good Will Hunting

The Lion King

A Few Good Men

In terms of pure visuals Bladerunner would have to be high on my list. What Ridley Scott did with 1982 technology is impressive.
it's one of the films that never gets old for me and that's crucial for me in terms of creating a "best of..." list. some films just kind of wedge themselves into my brain and never quite leave. "Bladerunner" has never quite left my imagination.

Actual list

Brazil

Blade Runner

The Thing

Almost Famous 

American Beauty

Last edited by a moderator:
it's one of the films that never gets old for me and that's crucial for me in terms of creating a "best of..." list. some films just kind of wedge themselves into my brain and never quite leave. "Bladerunner" has never quite left my imagination.
I know I should like it, but I always found it...boring.

In terms of pure visuals Bladerunner would have to be high on my list. What Ridley Scott did with 1982 technology is impressive.
the art direction for BR is untouchable.. defined the way sets/worlds look in movies since then. it's a slam-dunk for me in my top 5. always has been.

but for cinematography... heaven is tippy-top, IMO.

I know I should like it, but I always found it...boring.
It's a different thematically than a lot of other sci-fi. it's more in line with "2001" than "Alien" and that suits me. don't get me wrong here because i acknowledge it is far from perfect. the script is a bit of a mess - and at times cringeworthy even - but it's still a thrill for me. 

It's a different thematically than a lot of other sci-fi. it's more in line with "2001" than "Alien" and that suits me. don't get me wrong here because i acknowledge it is far from perfect. the script is a bit of a mess - and at times cringeworthy even - but it's still a thrill for me. 
2001 is another movie that looks amazing but that I found tedious, bordering on turgid.

The Future Champs said:
Network - Best screenplay of all time

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Best comedy of all time

Aliens or Mad Max Fury Road - can't decide for best action film of all time

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - best spaghetti western of all time

28 Days Later - Best Horror Movie of All Time

Honorable Mentions:  Evil Dead II (Most Awesome Splatterfest, and stoners delight), Saving Private Ryan (best war movie of all time, although this is debatable), A Clockwork Orange (best adaptation of a book)
Have to check out Network, keep seeing it on Prime, I guess it is time to hit play.

Have to check out Network, keep seeing it on Prime, I guess it is time to hit play.
No doubt. It's scary how much of the future of media and the public's relationship to it this 1975 flik got right. Matter of fact, younger folk might have no sense at all that network news departments were essentially non-profit and stations/networks had licenses to qualify for by public service, standards and all that. Supposed to still but Bill Clinton signed away that level of supervision and control of fiber-optic AND satellite broadcasting (estimated then @ a value of $700billion) in the Communications Act of 1996.

For those that have never seen "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and like dialog-driven, psychological dramas (similar to Glengarry Glen Ross format/originally stage plays) you ought to watch this.  Richard Burton & Elizabeth Taylor at some of their best.

I'm surprised to see Good Will Hunting appear on so many lists.  I've never seen it.  It came out when Mrs. Eephus and I were in the baby zone and pop culture consisted of Disney and Barney.   I've avoided it since because the premise doesn't really appeal to me and it's hard enough to avoid Damon Affleck without going out of my way to watch them.

Can somebody explain why it's essential? 

I'm surprised to see Good Will Hunting appear on so many lists.  I've never seen it.  It came out when Mrs. Eephus and I were in the baby zone and pop culture consisted of Disney and Barney.   I've avoided it since because the premise doesn't really appeal to me and it's hard enough to avoid Damon Affleck without going out of my way to watch them.

it's not.

For those that have never seen "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and like dialog-driven, psychological dramas (similar to Glengarry Glen Ross format/originally stage plays) you ought to watch this.  Richard Burton & Elizabeth Taylor at some of their best.
much different vibe, but makes me think of it... for some reason... Lion in Winter.

much different vibe, but makes me think of it... for some reason... Lion in Winter.

Ohhhhh ...good one.  Forgot about that one - love Peter O'Toole.

it's not.
mostly this. GWH has a grrrreat story idea - half the world's comedy writers come from boston cuz there are soooo many smart kids from loser fams/hoods - and damon's spot on, but the development's pretty weak. worth seeing, but no great need.

mostly this. GWH has a grrrreat story idea - half the world's comedy writers come from boston cuz there are soooo many smart kids from loser fams/hoods - and damon's spot on, but the development's pretty weak. worth seeing, but no great need.
It devolves into standard Hollywood fare/smooze at the end,  plus Ben Affleck is in it.

it's a solid B+ but it's hardly essential. armchair psychologist here but i think there is a fair amount of projection from some viewers. you know, "i'm a misunderstood genius that is tough but sensitive. i also find a kinda hot woman who might be out of my league but she's really into me..."

1.  Raiders of the Lost Ark

2.  Empire Strikes Back

3.  Hoosiers

4.  Tombstone

5.  Groundhog Day

Honorable Mentions:  LOTR Two Towers, Truman Show, Open Range, The Martian, Goodfellas, Boogie Nights, Shawshank, Gladiator, Drive, Silence of the Lambs, The Dark Knight, Superman(Christopher Reeve), Willie Wonka, Wallstreet, The Road Warrior, Goonies, Apocalypto, Boiler Room, No Country for Old Men, Last of the Mohicans, Almost Famous, Cinderella Man, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Interstellar, Zero Dark Thirty, Point Break

Movies bolded are those that I suspect I rate higher than your average movie lover although many have decent RT scores.

Animal House

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

The Wizard of Oz

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

The Breakfast Club

It's not essential.  But it's a good movie.  I suspect Mrs. E will like it.

Users who are viewing this thread