What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You're down by 15 with 7:00 minutes left in the game (2 Viewers)

Do you go for 2?

• 100% -- obviously go for 2

Votes: 73 24.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • Unsure/Other

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Probably not

Votes: 50 16.4%
  • 100% -- definitely don't go for 2

Votes: 157 51.6%

• Total voters
These stats are so statistically insignificant that they really don't prove anything. Interesting to look at, but offer no convincing evidence of anything.
They are the basis of what the go for 2 crowd has been using for nearly this entire thread and, while not a statistician, 100+ games seems like it would be statistically significant.
I have never relied on any of the stats. Logic has been the basis for the majority of arguments throughout this thread. A sample size of 100 gives you a margin of error on the order of +/-10. Considering the number of success stories under all these conditions is at most a handful, the MOE pretty much wipes out any meaningful conclusions which could be drawn from the stats.

These stats are so statistically insignificant that they really don't prove anything. Interesting to look at, but offer no convincing evidence of anything.
Well, one thing they absolutely prove is that the reason for the counter-intuitive results prior to 1994 is not due to the 2 pt. conversion because it didn't exist. I know you think the data isn't important, but several other posters believe it is irrefutable evidence (at least they did when they thought it worked in their favor). Interestingly enough, none of them have addressed it since I brought up the data from pre-2 pt. conversions.

Well, one thing they absolutely prove is that the reason for the counter-intuitive results prior to 1994 is not due to the 2 pt. conversion because it didn't exist. I know you think the data isn't important, but several other posters believe it is irrefutable evidence (at least they did when they thought it worked in their favor). Interestingly enough, none of them have addressed it since I brought up the data from pre-2 pt. conversions.
Not Important and Statistically insignificant are two different things. Even when they used the stats earlier to support the go for it early position, I denounced their statistical significance. They are interesting data points, but there are simply not enough data to mean much.

This is obviously untrue. Being down by 8 is always better than being down by 9. I'd be interested to hear any argument otherwise.
Why is it obviously untrue? There is a significant dip in winning % by the team trailing by 8pts when no 2pt conversion exists in the NFL. The argument (as you "go for 2" crowd use ad nauseum in this thread) is that teams win more down 9 and 7 than down 8. You attribute this to coaches playing incorrectly due to not knowing how many possessions they need (and usually playing as if they need 1). But, this is true with or without a 2pt conversion. Again, I think this probably has to do with the potential future margins favoring the leading team up 8 pts.
I'm not sure how much explanation is required to convince you that being down by 8 is better than being down by 9. It's, well... obvious. The fact that teams down by 9 have won more often than teams down by 8 was never "the argument," it was just a curious statistical anomaly that appeared to support the arguments in favor of going for 2 first (this anomaly, as you've apparently shown, existed prior to the introduction of the 2-pt conversion). If you think this has something to do with "potential future margins" I'd be interested to have you outline how the potential future margins are worse for a team down by 8 than they are for teams down by 9.
I'm still not sure what your argument is here. It's not at all surprising that the numbers improve for teams down by 8 after the introduction of the 2-pt conversion. That's because the 2-pt conversion allows them the possibility of tying a game with one TD, which previously wasn't possible. It has nothing to do with "uncertainty" benefiting the trailing team.
It should hurt them if the go for 2 crowd is correct about the knowledge of number of possessions benefiting the trailing team more than the leading team is correct.
The addition of the 2 pt conversion should never "hurt" teams that are trailing by 8. That's a poor mischaracterization of the "knowledge" argument. Again, it's not surprising that adding the option of a 2 point conversion would benefit teams down by 8 - it gives them a way to tie the game with just one possession that didn't previously exist.
Being down 8 and knowing how many possessions the trailing team needs by both the leading and trailing team has a winning percentage of 14-15%.

Being down 8 and *not* knowing the number of possessions needed to win (which the go for 2 crowd says hurts the trailing team more because the trailing coaches can't manage the clock correctly or play for a tie that less that 50% chance of happening if a TD is scored late) has a better winning percentage. Prior to the 2pt conversion leading and trailing teams were always playing correctly and the trailing teams won less.

It would seem that playing incorrectly 60% of the time (playing for 1 possession in an 8pt game) is better than playing correctly 100% of the time in a 8pt game when two possessions are needed. I don't think this really supports what the go for 2 crowd has been saying. Maybe you are right that is solely due to the fact that the odds of tying the game with one possession is non-zero when before it was impossible - but even if that was the case it doesn't explain why being down 9 needed 2 possessions is significantly better than being down 8 with 2 possessions needed.
I think you're putting too much stock in a small sample of games which admittedly aren't even necessarily representative of the situation being discussed, and only serve to show us what teams have done (as possibly opposed to what teams should have done). We're talking about the proper strategy to employ here. There are logical arguments that can and are being made for different strategies. Knowing what happened in games that have happened in the past isn't extremely useful and isn't going to win the argument, because coaches have almost universally employed just one of the strategies (kicking the PAT first). If half the coaches in the NFL always went for two first, and you could show that they lost far more often than the coaches that kicked the PAT first, then you might have something. But it doesn't seem like any coaches have ever regularly employed the 2-pt-first strategy (not that any coach would be in this situation often enough to employ any strategy "regularly" anyway). So you're not really weighing in on whether or not going for 2 early is the superior strategy.

I'm not sure how much explanation is required to convince you that being down by 8 is better than being down by 9. It's, well... obvious. The fact that teams down by 9 have won more often than teams down by 8 was never "the argument," it was just a curious statistical anomaly that appeared to support the arguments in favor of going for 2 first (this anomaly, as you've apparently shown, existed prior to the introduction of the 2-pt conversion). If you think this has something to do with "potential future margins" I'd be interested to have you outline how the potential future margins are worse for a team down by 8 than they are for teams down by 9.
You, CalBear, and many others have used the fact that being down 9 and 7 wins more than being down 8 numerous times in this thread. You attributed this discrepancy to the lack of knowledge regarding the correct plays to call by the trailing team. Once that "lack of knowledge" factor is removed and the trend still holds to an even greater degree and then you backtrack and hand wave it away as a statistical anomaly - even though it has held true over hundreds of games in different eras. If the entirety of the NFL history is a small and irrelevant sample size I am not sure how you can prove your point at all - especially when you have been using an even smaller sample size of the subset of games when the 2pt conversion was possible.
I think you're putting too much stock in a small sample of games which admittedly aren't even necessarily representative of the situation being discussed, and only serve to show us what teams have done (as possibly opposed to what teams should have done). We're talking about the proper strategy to employ here. There are logical arguments that can and are being made for different strategies. Knowing what happened in games that have happened in the past isn't extremely useful and isn't going to win the argument, because coaches have almost universally employed just one of the strategies (kicking the PAT first). If half the coaches in the NFL always went for two first, and you could show that they lost far more often than the coaches that kicked the PAT first, then you might have something. But it doesn't seem like any coaches have ever regularly employed the 2-pt-first strategy (not that any coach would be in this situation often enough to employ any strategy "regularly" anyway). So you're not really weighing in on whether or not going for 2 early is the superior strategy.
The bolded makes me wonder if you are understanding what I am saying. When kicking was the only strategy available to coaches they still lost more.You are talking out of both sides of you mouth here. You claim my sample size of hundreds of games is too small yet then think that using only games since the 2pt conversion was implemented would show something. The data doesn't support kicking it but it doesn't support going for 2 for informational purposes either. The data shows that being down 8, for some reason is worse than being down 7 or 9 even if you know how many possessions you need. 5%+ pre and post merger may be an anomaly - but I have a hard time believing that that big of a difference is due to random chance.

Not Important and Statistically insignificant are two different things. Even when they used the stats earlier to support the go for it early position, I denounced their statistical significance. They are interesting data points, but there are simply not enough data to mean much.
That's fine, and I agree that it isn't all that meaningful for a few reasons, but again, this is about the other posters. Call it whatever you'd like, but several people in the go for 2 camp do think it is important, statistically significant, and/or meaningful enough to prove their case. This pre 2 pt. conversion data should squash their theory for those who subscribed to it.

You, CalBear, and many others have used the fact that being down 9 and 7 wins more than being down 8 numerous times in this thread. You attributed this discrepancy to the lack of knowledge regarding the correct plays to call by the trailing team. Once that "lack of knowledge" factor is removed and the trend still holds to an even greater degree and then you backtrack and hand wave it away as a statistical anomaly - even though it has held true over hundreds of games in different eras. If the entirety of the NFL history is a small and irrelevant sample size I am not sure how you can prove your point at all - especially when you have been using an even smaller sample size of the subset of games when the 2pt conversion was possible.
The bolded makes me wonder if you are understanding what I am saying. When kicking was the only strategy available to coaches they still lost more.You are talking out of both sides of you mouth here. You claim my sample size of hundreds of games is too small yet then think that using only games since the 2pt conversion was implemented would show something. The data doesn't support kicking it but it doesn't support going for 2 for informational purposes either. The data shows that being down 8, for some reason is worse than being down 7 or 9 even if you know how many possessions you need. 5%+ pre and post merger may be an anomaly - but I have a hard time believing that that big of a difference is due to random chance.
Anything within the +/-10% is not an anomaly. An anomaly would be outside your margin of error. The data is interesting, but your insistence on making definitive conclusions on it is just wrong.

That's fine, and I agree that it isn't all that meaningful for a few reasons, but again, this is about the other posters. Call it whatever you'd like, but several people in the go for 2 camp do think it is important, statistically significant, and/or meaningful enough to prove their case. This pre 2 pt. conversion data should squash their theory for those who subscribed to it.
Yes, the poster who posted it did try to draw definitive conclusions from the data, and I posted just after him that the evidence was not that compelling. And similarly this pre 2-pt conversion doesn't squash anything.

'jon_mx said:
Yes, the poster who posted it did try to draw definitive conclusions from the data, and I posted just after him that the evidence was not that compelling. And similarly this pre 2-pt conversion doesn't squash anything.
:wall: It was multiple posters who used that data to "prove" their theory, and I know you said that it wasn't that compelling- again, I agree, but this isn't about us. Assume for a second that you did think it was compelling, like those other posters- wouldn't you then agree that the pre-2 pt. conversion data should discredit their theory?

'jon_mx said:
:wall: It was multiple posters who used that data to "prove" their theory, and I know you said that it wasn't that compelling- again, I agree, but this isn't about us. Assume for a second that you did think it was compelling, like those other posters- wouldn't you then agree that the pre-2 pt. conversion data should discredit their theory?
So you want me to say your insignificant data disproves what the other set of insignificant data did not prove. OK, cool. :unsure:

'jon_mx said:
So you want me to say your insignificant data disproves what the other set of insignificant data did not prove. OK, cool. :unsure:
All he's saying is that though you may have not used that data to say being up by 9 is better than 8 and thus a reason for going 2 first, there were several posters who did.

'sn0mm1s said:
'Ignoratio Elenchi said:
I'm not going to waste my time defending arguments I haven't made. As I explained to you, the stats (which someone else posted) were a curiosity that, if true, appeared to support the arguments that have been made for going for two early. Apparently you've since shown that those curious stats occurred prior to the introduction of the 2-pt conversion as well, and therefore they don't confirm those arguments they way they appeared to. Good on you for doing the research. My arguments have never been based on those stats being accurate, however, so you're going to have to take your complaints to someone else, or find another line of reasoning to discredit the actual position I've taken in this thread.
I said you "might have something" if you had stats comparing what happens when coaches go for two first and what happens when they kick the PAT first. But you don't, so it's moot. I'm not going to get into a statistics lesson with you. You admitted earlier that you're "not a statistician," and my arguments don't rely at all on these stats, so this is pretty much a dead end. As I said, no coach has ever consistently employed the "2-pt first" strategy so we don't have any stats to indicate whether or not it's superior. Let's try something new, since I'm pretty sure you tried and failed to refute my arguments a year ago, and now you're trying to get me to defend arguments I'm not even making. Let's examine your position, which I asked you to explain and you ignored in your response. You've said that you believe the reason teams have won more often down by 9 as opposed to down by 8 is because of "potential future margins." I believe that, like some of the other stuff that's been posted, is obviously absurd, but I'd like to have you explain why you think that's the case.

I said you "might have something" if you had stats comparing what happens when coaches go for two first and what happens when they kick the PAT first. But you don't, so it's moot. I'm not going to get into a statistics lesson with you. You admitted earlier that you're "not a statistician," and my arguments don't rely at all on these stats, so this is pretty much a dead end. As I said, no coach has ever consistently employed the "2-pt first" strategy so we don't have any stats to indicate whether or not it's superior.

Let's try something new, since I'm pretty sure you tried and failed to refute my arguments a year ago, and now you're trying to get me to defend arguments I'm not even making. Let's examine your position, which I asked you to explain and you ignored in your response. You've said that you believe the reason teams have won more often down by 9 as opposed to down by 8 is because of "potential future margins." I believe that, like some of the other stuff that's been posted, is obviously absurd, but I'd like to have you explain why you think that's the case.
First off, what is your position then? I could've sworn that you, CalBear, Tobias etc. were arguing that the slimmer the margin the better, but a slimmer margin isn't worth the uncertainty of not knowing how many possessions were needed. The stats prior to the advent of the 2pt conversion don't support this.As far as potential score differences, I don't have the access to the data in any clean way to suggest why. PFR doesn't make their game data available to load into a database. I merely am pointing out that neither slimmer margin nor knowledge of possessions needed seem to be valid reasons. Maybe it is because 9 and 7 point differentials make tying a game more likely with standard TDs and FGs and that helps the trailing team. The 10 vs. 11 vs. 12pts hold the same pattern (though only a 1% difference between 11 and 12) with 10 and 12pts being better. 15,16, and 17 have the same pattern as well (with 15 and 17 being better than 16) although at that point the margin is so great going into the 4th quarter that that the number of times the losing team has won is extremely small. Looking at halftime point differentials being down 18 is better than being down 20 - but no team has won being down 19 (with only 41 occurrences).

From that data maybe the correct call is to always take the slimmer margin unless that margin isn't comprised of factors of 3 and 7. Or to take the minimum number of possessions needed to tie (which would make 17 more desirable than 15) only scoring with 3 and 7. In the case of being able to win with one possession you always take the slimmer margin. As strange as that sounds, I am not sure how else to interpret 8,11,16, and 19 all having lower winning percentages than the two margins bookending them.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, what is your position then? I could've sworn that you, CalBear, Tobias etc. were arguing that the slimmer the margin the better, but a slimmer margin isn't worth the uncertainty of not knowing how many possessions were needed. The stats prior to the advent of the 2pt conversion don't support this.
My position is that when you're down by 15 with 7 minutes left in the game, and you score a TD, you should attempt a 2-pt conversion. My position regarding scoring margins is that I'll always prefer a smaller deficit to a larger deficit.

My position is that when you're down by 15 with 7 minutes left in the game, and you score a TD, you should attempt a 2-pt conversion. My position regarding scoring margins is that I'll always prefer a smaller deficit to a larger deficit.
That is quite a cop out - and contradictory. Your potential points kicking the ball is higher than going for two. You are settling for the larger margin when you go for 2.

That is quite a cop out - and contradictory. Your potential points kicking the ball is higher than going for two. You are settling for the larger margin when you go for 2.
Jesus. I knew this was a waste of time.

Your potential points for kicking is one point. Your potential points for going for a two-point conversion is two points. Two is greater than one, I think.

Your potential points for kicking is one point. Your potential points for going for a two-point conversion is two points. Two is greater than one, I think.
Sorry, expected points.

Jets down by 15 at the half. :popcorn:
Houston was down by 15 with 8 minutes left inside the Panthers 10 yard line. Was interested in seeing what was going to happen, not to prove or disprove anything, just interested, Yates then threw an INT. :hey:
Yeah, doesn't look like the Jets will be faced with this question either. :kicksrock:
You're down by 32 with 7:00 minutes left in the fourth and you score a TD...

Houston was down by 15 with 8 minutes left inside the Panthers 10 yard line. Was interested in seeing what was going to happen, not to prove or disprove anything, just interested, Yates then threw an INT. :hey:
Yeah, doesn't look like the Jets will be faced with this question either. :kicksrock:
You're down by 32 with 7:00 minutes left in the fourth and you score a TD...
Apparently, you go for 2.

'firstseason1988 said:
'Ignoratio Elenchi said:
Kubiak is a mostly conservative (or maybe football traditional) coach. My guess is that he would kicked the extra point.

How can so many people say Don't go for 2? The obvious answer is go for 2. If you go for 2 after the score, you will know if you need one more score or 2 more scores at that point.

The particular bias that I think is most explanatory isn't listed on that page (that I could find). I think it's this one:
[Our intuitive] view of probability, for instance, functions largely by classifying gambles into three categories—impossible, possible, or certain. One result is that an increase in probability within the middle category, say from 50% to 60%, appears less significant than an increase of the same size from 0% to 10% or from 90% to 100%.

If you go for two and fail, the probability of a win moves, in our natural intuition, from the the possible category to the effectively impossible category. If we make the two-point conversion, the probability of a win goes from being possible to still just being possible. And if we go for one, we'll make it and the probability of a win goes from being possible to still being possible.If we ignore the various gradations within the possible category and instead just look at potential movements among categories, it's intuitively obvious that we should go for one.

The particular bias that I think is most explanatory isn't listed on that page (that I could find). I think it's this one:
[Our intuitive] view of probability, for instance, functions largely by classifying gambles into three categories—impossible, possible, or certain. One result is that an increase in probability within the middle category, say from 50% to 60%, appears less significant than an increase of the same size from 0% to 10% or from 90% to 100%.

If you go for two and fail, the probability of a win moves, in our natural intuition, from the the possible category to the effectively impossible category. If we make the two-point conversion, the probability of a win goes from being possible to still just being possible. And if we go for one, we'll make it and the probability of a win goes from being possible to still being possible.If we ignore the various gradations within the possible category and instead just look at potential movements among categories, it's intuitively obvious that we should go for one.
The same reason people (stupidly) stand on 16 when the dealer is showing a 10 even though they know that it is statistically a bad move.

:goodposting: I recently got that Kahneman book but haven't started it yet. Very much looking forward to it though.

If anyone wonders if this thread has any merit...it did change my mind. At first I thought it would be silly to go for two. Nobody does that. Now I'm not sure why you wouldn't do it.

* You'll know earlier whether or not you need one score or two

* Your team is less nervous, since the entire game isn't on the line (like it would be with 20 seconds left or something).

* You just scored so you have momentum just as you would scoring the second TD WITHOUT the added momentum for the defense (stop them here and those TDs we gave up don't matter). If they stop them they're in better shape, but there's still plenty of time left.

* You know whether or not you should use timeouts on a methodical final drive or if you need to save them for yet another drive you hope you get.

I know that being down by eight is better than being down by nine...but knowing how many scores you need with seven minutes left is much better than knowing with 30 seconds left.

I'm convinced. Thanks.

i would run a gaget play where the qb hands the ball off to a very short running back who hides behind a lineman and the lineman stands around looking like he was hurt and then another larger rb goes to the right like he has the ball and everyone piles up on top of him and then the small hiding rb bursts to the left when everyone thinks the play is over and goes 90plus yards for a td and the win

Watching the Baylor bowl game. They were down by 18 in the 3rd quarter and scored a TD. Partly due to reading this thread, I found myself thinking, they should go for two here so they know if they need two TDs or a TD and FG to tie/win. They kicked the extra point. Then later in the third quarter, with more than 8 minutes left, they scored another TD to cut the deficit to 5 and went for 2 and made it, cutting the deficit to 3.

Particularly if they were willing to go for it the second time, shouldn't they have done it the first time?

Watching the Baylor bowl game. They were down by 18 in the 3rd quarter and scored a TD. Partly due to reading this thread, I found myself thinking, they should go for two here so they know if they need two TDs or a TD and FG to tie/win. They kicked the extra point. Then later in the third quarter, with more than 8 minutes left, they scored another TD to cut the deficit to 5 and went for 2 and made it, cutting the deficit to 3.Particularly if they were willing to go for it the second time, shouldn't they have done it the first time?
The big benefit of going for it in the thread hypothetical is that with the knowledge you can play the rest of your game to maximize your chance of winning. And when time is as scarce as the thread situation, that change (preserving time or bleeding it off so opponent has no time left when you score) in how you play it is noticeable and significant.The earlier in the game we move the situation though, the less useful the knowledge is. When you have 4 or 5 possessions still to come in the game, you probably just want to call plays with the best chance to move the ball, regardless of down 2 scores or 1.I don't know where the break even point would be exactly, but if it is early third quarter down by 18 when you score, I wouldn't think the knowledge would help you enough yet. The game situation still has a lot of opportunity to change, like an opposing FG that means you don't need to go for 2 on any score if you're trying to tie.

Watching the Baylor bowl game. They were down by 18 in the 3rd quarter and scored a TD. Partly due to reading this thread, I found myself thinking, they should go for two here so they know if they need two TDs or a TD and FG to tie/win. They kicked the extra point. Then later in the third quarter, with more than 8 minutes left, they scored another TD to cut the deficit to 5 and went for 2 and made it, cutting the deficit to 3.Particularly if they were willing to go for it the second time, shouldn't they have done it the first time?
The big benefit of going for it in the thread hypothetical is that with the knowledge you can play the rest of your game to maximize your chance of winning. And when time is as scarce as the thread situation, that change (preserving time or bleeding it off so opponent has no time left when you score) in how you play it is noticeable and significant.The earlier in the game we move the situation though, the less useful the knowledge is. When you have 4 or 5 possessions still to come in the game, you probably just want to call plays with the best chance to move the ball, regardless of down 2 scores or 1.I don't know where the break even point would be exactly, but if it is early third quarter down by 18 when you score, I wouldn't think the knowledge would help you enough yet. The game situation still has a lot of opportunity to change, like an opposing FG that means you don't need to go for 2 on any score if you're trying to tie.
Yes, I understand that earlier means less valuable to do this, just thought it was curious they did it on the second TD... if they would do that, it seems they should have done it on the first one. Of course, in this case, both teams scored a lot more points during the remainder of the game, so these decisions did not necessarily affect the outcome.

bumping for the end of the GB-SF game. :popcorn:
I thought about this thread when they kicked the PAT. It's amazing that coaches who earn millions of dollars per year can't handle basic math.
I was rooting for the 49ers in the game, but when they were down 15 I really wanted GB to score just to see what McCarthy would do. I was saddened that he made the wrong decision, though obviously pleased with the result.

bumping for the end of the GB-SF game. :popcorn:
I thought about this thread when they kicked the PAT. It's amazing that coaches who earn millions of dollars per year can't handle basic math.
Many if not most people play not to lose versus to win until they have no choice. I am sure i have modified my on the mathmatical correctness of going for two in this (and many other situations), but nature of people playing convention versus actual facts still remains.

Users who are viewing this thread