What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (7 Viewers)

This thread is overall refreshing to read. 

My wife is headed to Disney without me.  I'm kind of pissed, but her mom has to go to a conference...and her mom has never been to Disney.   Her mom is 65ish so I encouraged them to go.  I was lucky enough to go multiple times with my parents as a kid.  She's taking advantage of that  "4 parks in 4 days" promo they have going on.   Should work out perfectly for them. 

The only regret she might end up having is that she skimped on the park hopper.  If I were at Disney with no kids, I'd be at Epcot every single night.

My wife is headed to Disney without me.  I'm kind of pissed, but her mom has to go to a conference...and her mom has never been to Disney.   Her mom is 65ish so I encouraged them to go.  I was lucky enough to go multiple times with my parents as a kid.  She's taking advantage of that  "4 parks in 4 days" promo they have going on.   Should work out perfectly for them. 

The only regret she might end up having is that she skimped on the park hopper.  If I were at Disney with no kids, I'd be at Epcot every single night.
true...but don't discount the resorts for (non-admission) adult evening entertainment.

Boardwalk has a few nice spots like Jelly Rolls (small cover charge) and you can see the Epcot fireworks from the bridge. 
Trader Sams at the Polly is a great location 
YeHaa Bob is over at Port Orleans, catch his 2nd show for more adult level (but still disney) humor
Head up to California Grill Bar at the Contemporary and watch the MK fireworks from the balcony (seating limited). 
Victoria Falls at Animal Kingdom Lodge, grab a drink and go sit by the fire pit and view the animals on the savanna. Bonus—inquire at the desk as to where they are doing the Night vision goggle viewing. Its free and you can use military grade NV Goggles to see the animals.  

Editing to add, that if her mother has never really been there before, then visiting a resort or 2 might be a good idea. IMO, the resorts are just as much an attraction and draw as the theme parks. Especially for someone who is older and can appreciate the details and influences. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Its funny. We took advantage of the same ticket offer as your wife. When we went without kids, we never even considered a non park hopper. The first time we went with a kid we thought, we have to get the hoppers. it was less effective. Too much running around. My kids are almost getting to the point where it wont be a hassle hopping but we are not quite there yet

Its funny. We took advantage of the same ticket offer as your wife. When we went without kids, we never even considered a non park hopper. The first time we went with a kid we thought, we have to get the hoppers. it was less effective. Too much running around. My kids are almost getting to the point where it wont be a hassle hopping but we are not quite there yet
I've never gotten one.  We buy the 3 or 4 day FL passes and usually go one day at MK or EPCOT and then the other two usually AK and DHS as half days.  

could be b/c i only travel in summer, but I can't imagine spending an entire day in 1 park

I wouldn't even want to be around myself at the end of the night if I was in the same clothes I started the day in. lol.

I def need a mid day shower/pool break and if i'm back at my resort, then the pm park is usually different then where I came from. 

APs usually pay themselves off after about 12-14 days (without doing major math) of visiting. 

We have APs and go each year for 14 or so days a trip. Being we can only travel in summer, we will go in early August on a 'buy year' and then travel the following year in July making sure our trip ends before it expires. 

In a rare $$ move Disney did that I actually approve of, they released a special DVC ticket that is only $550. It has blackout dates, but they do not apply to us, so that makes the ticket cost for each trip only $275/pp for 14 days. IDK how the hell you beat that.  
Pretty much spot on - we are planning to get the Platinum (w/water park) pass and I did do the math and we broke even somewhere between 14 and 15 days.  It's still a chunk of change so I plan to go much more than that if we can.  Currently our tentative plan is:  Sept - taking the in-laws;  Nov - adults only for Food and Wine and Christmas  :pickle:  - possibly take the kids in December (this is very unlikely but maybe);  Feb - Winter break;  April (Spring break - but only if not every school system is out at the same time) -  then my daughter has two cheer competitions next year in Orlando and we would most likely go as a family and while the wife and daughter do cheer stuff the rest of us would hang out and do whatever around Disney.   I may need to call Disney and ask them what the record is for days visited by a non-FL resident.

jb1020 said:

That whole "4 parks pass" is going to be what they push on the residents going forward.  I'm not expecting a 4 day dealers choice style pass again unless you are willing to pay the up charge for hopper.

We live in Miami.

Our family has the seasonal (Silver) pass. It's perfect for us, because you are basically only blacked out during the summer and during holidays.

We like to be home for the holidays and never go during Summer. Way too hot. We actually try to get out of Florida during summer anyway.

There are other blackout dates but the schedule fits us perfectly. We like to go in October, early December, and February through April. All that is open.

The seasonal pass is cheaper. I think you're in the black after doing like 5 hopper days. It's totally worth it.

You get the 20 percent discount on restaurants, free parking, and other AP perks. The only perk seasonal pass holders don't get is the photo pass and water parks.

Highly recommend the seasonal (Silver) pass if you live in Fla.

@AAABatteries sorry Gb, i can't help you. this is something thats best left to a CM who can modify your ressie on the spot. We can tell you anything you want to hear, but in the end they gotta do it. GL. 
So, and I'm shocked to say it, but this worked!  I called and talked to the CM and he told me the same thing I heard before - I explained what I was trying to do and he said "sorry, they won't let us do that" - I asked to speak to a manager, very politely and he seemed surprised.  Kept asking if I was sure and that he would try and look it up and modify - so he spent about 15 minutes and told me what I already knew - if he changed the reservation to 8 days it bumped the rate up 70 bucks a night.  I told him that I didn't want to do that but I did want the two extra nights and was willing to pay not only the rate they quoted but the higher rate for the two nights.  He told me at least 5 times they wouldn't do it.  Finally he said but if you want I'll put you through to guest services and see what they say.  Guy comes on and I start explaining everything again and when I'm done he's like, sure I'll add it for you. 

HALLELUJAH! :pickle:

Called the wife and she was shocked they changed it too.  So, the last thing I need to fall in line is Free Dining falling on our dates and we get it.  Won't be the end of the world if we don't but not sure what we'll do - just not worth staying on property if we don't get it.

here is the most detailed look at Pandora/Avatarland yet.

looks like the Banshee ride is more of a reversed chair rather then something you straddle.  

That boat ride is really going to have to blow me away, I'm not sold on it yet. Looks pretty, but that only gets you so far. 

Looked like there was a screen in the trunk of that tree they were standing in front of. I mentioned it before, but I wonder if there will be some sort of game or activity within the land like the Sorcerers of the MK?

Man Disneyland was absolutely dead the last two days it was great. Pretty much every ride 20 minutes or less and walked on thunder mountain and small world. A couple of the rides over 30 (star tours, space mountain and splash mountain) we just fast passed so never waited over 30 minutes for any ride.

The Main Street electric parade was great to see again, brought back some great memories seeing that as a kid.

Disneyland was actually pretty busy on Tuesday which I think was from the rain from the couple days before so a bunch of AP holders were probably there getting their fix.

theyre also having AP days whatever that is, assume it's to drive AP holders to come to the park during the quiet time. Looked like they had set room set up for people to take pics with the old country band jamboree bears along with some other swag right near space mountain and the theater (right behind star trader).

great time of year to go, was in the 80s the last two days 70s the day before and 50s on Monday.

this is the last week or so before it gets busy so perfect time to go for us which is our spring break.

with the move in the security checkpoint will probably start staying st Disneyland hotel versus paradise pier with the ca adventure view especially now that the kids are getting older.

4 year old daughter was a rock star at exactly 40 inches by a hair she went on every ride and loved them all, doing a dab in her Anna princess dress for the splash mountain photo.

as a side note that Mickey fun wheel is terrifying as a parent. Feel like the kids are going to get tossed around inside.

the 1 year old did not appreciate being taken on that.

Is rivers of light showing on your AK day. That might be worth a fp. I am doing the dining package for that so we make sure we get in.

Buuuut, you bring up a good point about ROL and I forgot to ask  @skinrod876 if you are you doing the Tusker house/RoL dining package? If not, I would call and see if you can modify the reservation. It is the same price/credits for the same exact meal AND you get into the show
Good idea on this. I went in and looked and I could move my reservation up to 20 minutes and do the RoL dining package. That was until the stinking website tanked and wouldn't let me do it. Now when I go in and try to do it I'd have to move my reservation up 1:30 which I'm not willing to do. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye and see if anything opens up on this.

But, this is the kind of great info that you guys have already provided. Thanks for the heads up.

Man Disneyland was absolutely dead the last two days it was great. Pretty much every ride 20 minutes or less and walked on thunder mountain and small world. A couple of the rides over 30 (star tours, space mountain and splash mountain) we just fast passed so never waited over 30 minutes for any ride.
I hate you and your antiquated FP system.

We've been to WDW twice with the kids but its been a few years.  We are now making our first visit to Disneyland this August.

Kids are both boys and will be 11 and 9 at the time of visit, staying at http://www.hojoanaheim.com/ walking distance from the park.

Is there anything we need to do this far out as far as dinner reservations, looking for ticket deals, etc?

I know that WDW is isolated and DL has more surrounding it so how does that change the strategy for a trip?  

Seems like it would be easier to get back to the hotel for a break or less expensive to pop out of the park for meals?

With DL and CA so close to each other and visiting at a time with low crowds is spending extra for a park hopper a no brainer?

Any general advice for a family that's been to WDW but are new to DL?

Thanks!

Lehigh98 said:
We've been to WDW twice with the kids but its been a few years.  We are now making our first visit to Disneyland this August.

Kids are both boys and will be 11 and 9 at the time of visit, staying at http://www.hojoanaheim.com/ walking distance from the park.

Is there anything we need to do this far out as far as dinner reservations, looking for ticket deals, etc?

I know that WDW is isolated and DL has more surrounding it so how does that change the strategy for a trip?  

Seems like it would be easier to get back to the hotel for a break or less expensive to pop out of the park for meals?

With DL and CA so close to each other and visiting at a time with low crowds is spending extra for a park hopper a no brainer?

Thanks!
This question is right in my wheelhouse.  I'll have an embarrassingly detailed reply by the end of the weekend.

If you have a crowd...that's a pretty good deal, isn't it?
The $90 price tag is high (if you’re feeding 8 people, it works out to about $11.25 per person), but the VIP treatment (cast members are available to get anything you need throughout the meal, so it’s kind of like a table-service experience in a counter-service restaurant) and fun experience is very unique and one of a kind. The nachos aren’t bad, either! ;-D Typical counter service fare, but still a good meal for the family.

per person its cheaper than any single quick serv menu item i believe

But I wouldn't be riding space mountain right afterward lol 

OK back to trying to pull this together. Had put plans on ice for a bit, but it appears we're back on so...

-Kids will be 9/10 (depending on when) and 6. Both girls.

-Targeting roughly around thanksgiving to christmas area (Holiday display isn't necessary). First time for all but me (went some 30 years ago so really new for all). Minnie is a very big deal for 6 yo, Princesses to a lesser extend (growing out of dressups daily and the 9/10 yo acts tough, but is likely down for it.

-neither kids is a huge thrill seeker, but we got passes to local amusement park to work on them in this area this year. Likely to be smaller non rollercoaster rides (she's ok with speed it's the heights that are the issue)

-This is the once in a lifetime/ do disney right trip for us with the budget in mind. I envision them wanting to spend more time in character driven activities (including bippity boopity boutique- 6 yo will be bringing her own costume) but I know the 10 year old will want to do some other stuff.

- Will be getting the hopper for all days as well as the meal plan that includes one sit down (my understanding is that this is where you use that sit down for character meals and such?!? And these need to be scheduled in advance)

Have been using Disney's site to check out hotels: Trying to avoid the 'econo' options and have been looking at the Port Orleans (either one), Carribean beach, and possibly splurging on the contemporary (or similarly priced option). It's about a 2k swing from Carribean to contemporary (or 25% bump in ttl price). Trying to decide if it's worth it. I don't mind overlooking a parking lot- the rooms there to sleep in IMO, but if seeing the fireworks is an option from some of these it'd be nice to know.

Given size and sheer numbers I understand waiting in unavoidable, but relying on only the buses (likely during a busier time of the year) seems like a bad idea if we have the ability to upgrade hotels to get at least another option.

Hoping to get some thoughts on each hotel or dos and don'ts given the things I'm likely to be spending our time on. TIA

@odin33

If you can sneak in before 9 year old turns 10, you get kids price for her. At 10 she becomes and adult. But at 9, she can order off the adult menu for the dining plan. 

I have stayed at Port orleans riverside and really enjoyed it. My favorite is the Polynesian. Is it worth the extra 25%, I think so. Especially if this is your do it right trip. 

But honestly, with hoppers during christmas, you might not be there much. 

I have never had a bad time with busses. Even staying in value. Maybe I miss one in the PM but they run so often. Only thing annoying is the wheelchair thing. 

Eta: I did not like caribbean beach at all. Way too big and we were on the wrong end. Couldn't enjoy pool or main area. Was a 20 minute walk

Thanks!
In general, there's a lot less to keep track of at DLR than WDW.  Very little needs to be done for advance dining reservations, there's no advance FastPasses to book, no transportation system to decipher, fewer parks to decide between... it's a much simpler experience.

One thing you will notice if you're been to WDW a few times is the DLR crowds are less intense.  DLR is in the middle of a densely-populated area that has great weather 300 days a year.  A ton of locals have annual passes, and will come for a couple hours and take off.  There's a MILF run through Fantasyland when DL opens, they bring the kids in strollers, do a lap of Fantasyland, then go home.  There's a pocket of locals who will be out and decided to pop over to DL for the parade or fireworks.  (That can make prime seating a little challenging, but DLR is working on policies designed to limit all-day squatters.)  Since so many of the guests are local who come every year, maybe every month, there isn't as much use of strollers as battering rams to get to every park attraction because this might be their only day here in their entire lives.  Not as many scooters with six kids hanging off them so the whole family can use the handicapped queue.  In general, it's more relaxed.     

I recommend following Casey Starnes on social media.  Her brand is "Disneyland Daily" (formerly "DLR Prep School").  If any legit discounted ticket deals break out, she will know about them.  

That HoJo is going to work out well for you.  It really is within walking distance to the parks.  I'd guess 15 minutes tops from your room to the security gates by the park entry plaza.  You might be closer to the park gates than the Disneyland Hotel is.  There's a lot of hotels in Anaheim that claim "walking distance to Disneyland", but the convenient walks are limited to south of I-5 and north of Katella on Harbor.  That HoJo is in that window.  

It will be easier to pop back to the hotel for a break, but between the parks, Downtown Disney (right on the other side of the park entry plaza), and the restaurants on Harbor, you shouldn't have to venture far to eat.    

I recommend getting Park Hoppers.  DL and DCA are right across from each other and often stagger the opening and closing times for crowd control purposes.  The parks are close enough to catch World Of Color at DCA and be on Main Street for the DL fireworks a half hour later.  

There is a FastPass system at DLR, but it's not done through the app.  It's the old paper FP system where you walk up to kiosks and have physical FastPasses issued to you.  

Here's a rundown of similarities/differences in the parks....   

Magic Kingdom and Disneyland have generally the same layout and a lot of shared attractions.  Disneyland is a bit larger and has more open-air attractions given the weather in Anaheim every day is about 70 degrees and sunny.  While some of the extra space is closed for construction of Star Wars Land, the rest of the extra space is DL-only sections New Orleans Square, Critter Country, and Toon Town.  

As far as rides go... working "left to right" relative to Main Street...  

Both have Jungle Cruise (pretty much the same), Pirates of the Caribbean (DL is a longer more involved ride, but same story), Splash Mountain (MK's is longer, a much bigger splash hill), Haunted Mansion (September-December has a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay, does not have the interactive queue MK has), Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (IMO the DL version is a little faster and smoother, but that's anecdotal).  

Adventureland doesn't have the Aladdin carpet ride, but does have an Indiana Jones-themed dark ride.
Out beyond Frontierland and Splash Mountain is "Critter Country", this is where the Winnie The Pooh ride and character greets are, plus a good bakery and shop.      
At DL, the Fantasyland space behind the castle is more dense with rides.  Peter Pan is the highest-demand one (ride is same as MK, doesn't have the interactive queue).  No Philharmagic; in that space are Snow White and Pinocchio dark rides.  Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is back there, and my favorite in that section, Alice In Wonderland.   It's A Small World is much bigger spectacle.  There's also a Storyland Canal boat ride that will probably bore your boys a great deal.  Spinning teacup ride is in about the same spot.  

DL doesn't have the Fantasyland expansion MK has with Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and the extra princess stuff.  (The Little Mermaid dark ride is at DCA and rarely has a line)  There is a Toon Town in the back of the park with some classic character houses and some Roger Rabbit stuff - your boys have probably outgrown the attractions, but it is cool to walk through once. 

One high-speed ride MK doesn't have in the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland transition is the Matterhorn Bobsleds.  Fun ride, recommend it, will be on the FP system by the time you get there.

Tomorrowland is probably where your will spend most of your time with the 11- and 9-year-old, especially if they are into Star Wars.  Space Mountain is "Hyperspace Mountain", a Star Wars overlay.  So instead of random stars, asteroids, planets, the ride tells a Star Wars story.  It's one of my favorite attractions at any Disney park.  So fun.  Buzz Lightyear is there but on the other side of the walkway.  Star Tours from DHS is in Tomorrowland.  Instead of Tomorrowland Speedway, it's Autopia, themed more as a leisurely drive than a car race.  I prefer Autopia to the MK version; the signage is a lot more clever.  DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AT THE SUBMARINE RIDE - it takes forever to load and unload, the looks out the windows aren't worth the wait.  Instead of Cosmic Ray's and an enclosed theater/DJ space, it's the open air "Galactic Grill" with a Star Wars themed menu, and a patio where the Jedi Training from DHS takes place.  The old Carousel of Progress building is now the "Star Wars Launch Bay", with Star Wars exhibits and Star Wars character greets, usually Chewbacca and Kylo Ren.  Instead of the Tomorrowland People Mover, there's a flying ride above the pizza QSR. 

DLR doesn't have three satellite parks.  They have Disney California Adventure.  Based on in-park experiences alone, it's my favorite of the six DisneyParks in the USA.  

Cars Land is the signature section, a DCA exclusive.  It's like walking down Route 66 into Radiator Springs.  The big ride there - Radiator Springs Racers - is a must-do, must-FastPass when the park opens.  It's kind of like Test Track at Epcot, but a smoother ride, longer story, and the high-speed portion is a LOT more fun.  I'm not that big of a fan of the Cars movies, but I love this place.  Also recommend Mater's Junkyard Jamboree - you get thrown around a lot more than it looks like watching it.  Ton of fun.  The Luigi ride can be skipped if the line gets too long, but at least check it out.  

There's a Hollywood Land section.  This is where the Animation building (former DHS resident) can be found.  Drawing classes, Turtle Talk With Crush (Epcot attraction), meet-and-greet Anna and Elsa, other interactive animation stuff.  Even if none of that pulls your chain, pop in for a minute and see how they change the walls to match the music playing.  This is also where the old MuppetVision theater is (MuppetVision 3D is retired; on our last visit an extended Beauty and the Beast trailer was showing there), and a Monsters Inc dark ride that is cute but moves slow enough to not be scary.  The Hyperion Theater is showing a Frozen musical Disney is workshopping to try to get in to Broadway, like they did with Aladdin.  If the boys are into Frozen, check it out.  Otherwise, it can be skipped.   The Tower of Terror from DHS is also here, but it is being rebranded into a Guardians Of The Galaxy ride that will be the new attraction of the summer.  Highly anticipated, gonna recommend it blind.  

The kids' section is Bug's Life themed.  The rides are too slow for your boys except for maybe the bumper cars.  Still worth a walk through to see how they made everything look so small.

Pacific Wharf is a food & drink area.  DCA serves alcohol, DL doesn't.  I like the sandwiches and soups at Pacific Wharf Cafe featuring Boudin Bread.  There's also Chinese and Mexican QSRs, and a Ghiradelli shop that has the best desserts in all of DLR.

In the transition from the Wharf to the Pier is the Little Mermaid dark ride.  Usually 40 minutes or so at MK, hardly ever more than 10 minutes at DCA.

Paradise Pier is Disney's take on the amusement piers of California.  The California Screamin rollercoaster is the centerpiece - about as intense as Rock and Rollercoaster at DHS, but in the open air.  There's also a few midway games, Toy Story Mania (half the wait as DHS, maybe less), a swings and flying ride, and the Goofy's Sky School coaster, a track usually mouse-themed at other amusement parks.  

The other route out of the Pier takes you to the wilderness area and the flight area.  GrizzlyRiver Run is a standard river raft ride, similar to Kali River Rapids at AK.  There's also a Wilderness Challenge (UP-themed) that might be a good fit for the boys - it's a mix of problem-solving and running around set off to the side of the park.  It's a nice relief from standing around.  And the flight zone is where Soarin' is - lines there are usually shorter than the Soarin' queue at Epcot, but the new Soarin' Around The World movie (which is excellent) has renewed interest in the ride among the locals.        

The big highlight of nighttime at DCA is World Of Color, an amazing 18-minute show in front of the pier that is a delightful mix of water, lights, video, the occasional flame, nothing quite like it at WDW (the new Rivers of Light show at AK might surpass it when it gets the bugs worked out).. each vacation to DLR I try to catch World of Color from the "wet zone", the front row of the Yellow seating section where you are at risk of getting wet from the water features and close enough to feel the heat if flame effects are used.  It's a bit time-consuming to set up seating from up close, but you can also buy seating in a reserved part of the Blue section with table service dining.

DCA In-park strategy.... at DCA it's important to get there close to rope drop to get FastPasses to Radiator Springs Racers.  They are a tough ticket.  If you're not doing a dining package for World Of Color, you will want to get World Of Color tickets in the morning as well (World Of Color tickets are technically a "FastPass", but they do not lock you out of holding other FastPasses).  Keep an eye on when you are FP eligible again after grabbing RSRs so you can get Soarin FPs.  The old Tower of Terror never required a FastPass, but the new Guardians Of The Galaxy one probably will - keep an eye on Disneyland Daily around June 1 or so when Casey does a "FastPass walk" sorting out how to work in all three of those big rides.  

Not much in terms of dining that will require advance reservations.  Ariel's Grotto fills up early, so if the boys want to have a princess-themed menu with greets from Ariel, Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, Minnie Mouse, book that one early and see if you can get World Of Color passes with it.  My favorite table-service place at DCA is Carthay Circle (decor is retro; imagine Walt going out to dinner to celebrate Snow White's monster box office numbers in 1939) but check the menu if the boys are picky eaters.  If sitting down for formal dining isn't your thing, the lounge at Carthay Circle has a limited-but-tasty menu and great drinks.  The QSR food at DCA is pretty good - as mentioned, I like the bread bowl soups and sandwiches and Pacific Wharf Cafe, using Boudin Bread (San Francisco institution)... there's a rotating menu QSR at the Pier based on holiday - on our last visit, it was a Lunar New Year menu with Chinese dishes.  But the famous thing at DCA (and DL) is the corndog carts - part of the DLR experience is having a corndog while walking around or a corndog/chips/drink while standing at a table for a few minutes.  The churro carts are good, too.  (my favorite homemade DLR fan shirt I've ever seen in-park is a big dude with muscles and tattoos wearing a T-shirt reading "CHURROS AND PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN"; I never got around to making my response shirt, "CORNDOGS AND SPACE MOUNTAIN")  There's also a couple upscale dining experiences featuring California wines; my wife and I aren't wine drinkers, so I'm no help on these.  

DL in-park strategy.... Hyperspace Mountain will be the toughest FastPass to get.  The Star Wars overlay is still a huge hit with locals.  If the boys want to do Jedi Training, they will need to get in line for that early to get a training time.  The good news is the Jedi Training signup is close to Space Mountain and you can get those FPs and Jedi Training sign-up in one trip.  Star Tours FPs sometimes back up, but that will thin out a bit when Matterhorn gets added to the FP menu.  I'd try to avoid Fantasyland early and instead hit up all the Tomorrowland stuff, then cross over to the Adventureland/Frontierland stuff.  
Not much sit-down dining at DL.  The castle doesn't have a restaurant inside.  DL's equivalent of Crystal Palace - The Plaza Inn - only does character greets at breakfast.  For dinner, it's cafeteria-style featuring fried chicken.  I'm not a fan of Carnation Cafe - crowded tables, menu is meh.  
My favorite meal at DL requires some divide-and-conquer but it's awesome.  Over in Adventureland is the Bengal Barbeque - a skewer menu of beef, chicken, bacon-wrapped asparagus, or veggie.  I'll order up a pile of those skewers across the board, then walk them over to New Orleans Square to the seating by the Mint Julep Bar.  I go there because my wife and daughter got in line there while I was at Bengal to get some Mickey-shaped Beignets and beverages.  We then meet up at a table, and share meat and veggies on sticks with beignets for dessert.  

If you want to go off-park to eat, Downtown Disney will have some options.  If you walk the opposite direction from your hotel at the park entry plaza, you will be in Downtown Disney in a few steps.  (Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel guests have to walk Downtown Disney to get to the parks.) There's a big ESPN Zone, a really big Rainforest Cafe, Tortilla Jo's (great tableside guacamole), Ralph Brennan's (New Orleans), Earl of Sandwich, pizza, Mediterranean, and of course lots of shops.  For the boys, there's Ridemakerz, that's like Build-A-Bear but you build a car or truck instead of a stuffed animal.  Also a tech shop where you can design your own smartphone case using art from Disney properties, including Pixar, Muppets, and Marvel.  

There are three Disney-owned hotels at DLR, all with dining options open to all guests.  Goofy's Kitchen at Disneyland Hotel is a lot like Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, but not quite as loud.  And more booth seating.  Tangaroa Terrace has good flatbreads.  Steakhouse 55 is upscale.  And there's a spot there somewhere that serves Dole Whips with or without rum.  Think that's at Trader Sam's Tiki Bar.
Paradise Pier is set back a bit, quite a hike from where you're staying.  But if you want to do buffet meal with greets of the classic Disney characters in surf gear, that's where to do it.  
The upscale hotel at DLR is the Grand Californian Hotel.  It's right up next to DCA.  Seriously.  The hotel has its own DCA park entrance separate from the main entrance.  That is where you can simulate dining at the WDW Deluxe Resorts most closely.  The decor is kind of like Wilderness Lodge, but northern California instead of Pacific Northwest.  If you want a quiet sit-down lunch during a DCA day, pop over to Storytellers inside the GCH.
Goofy's Kitchen, Steakhouse 55, and anything at GCH will require a reservation, but there will still be tables available 20-30 days out.  It's not the 180 days out bumrush you get at WDW.

OK back to trying to pull this together. Had put plans on ice for a bit, but it appears we're back on so...

-Kids will be 9/10 (depending on when) and 6. Both girls.

-Targeting roughly around thanksgiving to christmas area (Holiday display isn't necessary). First time for all but me (went some 30 years ago so really new for all). Minnie is a very big deal for 6 yo, Princesses to a lesser extend (growing out of dressups daily and the 9/10 yo acts tough, but is likely down for it.

-neither kids is a huge thrill seeker, but we got passes to local amusement park to work on them in this area this year. Likely to be smaller non rollercoaster rides (she's ok with speed it's the heights that are the issue)

-This is the once in a lifetime/ do disney right trip for us with the budget in mind. I envision them wanting to spend more time in character driven activities (including bippity boopity boutique- 6 yo will be bringing her own costume) but I know the 10 year old will want to do some other stuff.

- Will be getting the hopper for all days as well as the meal plan that includes one sit down (my understanding is that this is where you use that sit down for character meals and such?!? And these need to be scheduled in advance)

Have been using Disney's site to check out hotels: Trying to avoid the 'econo' options and have been looking at the Port Orleans (either one), Carribean beach, and possibly splurging on the contemporary (or similarly priced option). It's about a 2k swing from Carribean to contemporary (or 25% bump in ttl price). Trying to decide if it's worth it. I don't mind overlooking a parking lot- the rooms there to sleep in IMO, but if seeing the fireworks is an option from some of these it'd be nice to know.

Given size and sheer numbers I understand waiting in unavoidable, but relying on only the buses (likely during a busier time of the year) seems like a bad idea if we have the ability to upgrade hotels to get at least another option.

Hoping to get some thoughts on each hotel or dos and don'ts given the things I'm likely to be spending our time on. TIA

I'll hit a few of your points here then I can dive deep when I get a free moment. 

The time is perfect to go. Disney on an average day is great, but they really go nuts around those holidays. I don't know when the changeover happens, but if you go after Thanksgiving I think you will miss out on the Halloween/Fall decorations, but will hit the Xmas ones. Either way, they change it over in a night (its actually quite impressive). But that in-between time is a really good time to go b/c you'll miss the really big holiday crowds. 

Bad news (not really bad, but it is about spending more money so inherently bad), that time of year they run special parties at the MK that you do not want to miss. They are special ticket events where they close down the MK at 4 and they run special parades, pull out some non-regular characters and its an overall must-do. Dates for 2017 are not released yet, but here is an overview of last years. 

It does make it a pain to plan b/c w/o know the actual dates, its hard to plan your park day, but I suggest just working around it. they seem to have a pattern of days they run it, so keep a few dates open in your schedule and adjust as needed. 

There are plenty of character opportunities. With your dining plan, yes, you can hit any character meal....And yes, Minnie is part of most of them. So the 6 yr old is covered. THe 10 yar old will soften up once she gets into it. I suggest looking for 'face characters' (not wearing a mask) b/c they can actually interact with you/her and its a bit more enjoyaboe then just standing there and posing. 

there are 2 locations for BBB—Disney Springs and MK. The MK one is more convenient, but smaller and harder to get. Does the 10 yr old like star wars? If so, The Studios offer a cool thing where they can train to be a Jedi and fight a SW villain (my 10 yr old girl loved it and fought Vader). There is also a similar thing like BBB at MK, but instead of a glitzy makeover, you get made up like a pirate, or a mermaid. Even adults do it (arrrrr....thats me!)

For resorts, you are in a good spot. PO is a great resort. I will warn you that Caribbean beach will be under construction while you are there, they are expanding it and the quick service restaurant will be down for a while. So unless you don't mind some renno annoyances, I'd stay toward the PO side. Yes, the buses can be a pain to navigate on some of the larger resorts. A deluxe will give you slightly better bus service (based on location and resort size), but dont forget about using taxis or uber if you really need to get somewhere quick. We use them often and most trips are under $20. 

Deluxes are more expensive and its mainly based on location (closer to the parks) and amenities (slightly better pool, more dining options). You will never get a complaint out of my about staying in the Contemporary—its our home base for our trips. Its not the prettiest hotel and grounds out of all the deluxes, but we love the convenience of the location. But again, $ is $ and while I am a "deluxe snob :)" if it is a 1st in a lifetime trip, I think i would rather you invest in experiences rather than hotel. THere are a lot of 'pluses' you can add to your trip (like fireworks dessert parties) that make it seem more VIP. I can list those out later. 

let me get back to work and i'll post some more later

How crazy is Epcot going to be on Friday? That's our first day down at Disney. Picked a good first day spot, but I have a feeling it's going to be packed since it's St. Paddy's day.

@glvsav37

Dude, you are money!! Spent the better part of the day today (being highly productive at work) going back and reading the last several pages. Helped add color/solve some of my original questions.

Saw online that Carribean was under construction. Looks like the work will be overnight so I'm a little concerned.  On one hand, that $75/night goes a long way towards buying t-shirts, other experieces, and what not. However if I'm not sleeping, there's no amount of tshirts/stuffed animals that'll make this a success.

I guess I'm struggling with the ~1500 upcharge (~215/night-eek!) between PO/moderates and Contemp (Sorry Acer, despite being a FBG, the Polly is outta price range- even with the sit by the pool or in the room with a beer and watch the fireworks). Gotta remove the notion that its a place to sleep and not much else. Instead think about it as the pools/food offering and those conveniences along with location during the heat of the day. No way my 6 yo makes it a week straight in that heat/lines/mass of people. Hell I won't. Is there a room type at the contemp that offers fireworks view/another perk- I think the rooftop was mentioned. That a packed place at night?

Showing my rookieness here but it's so much easier to ask pointed questions vs scan through endless drivel on the webpages:

1. Parades held every night and they rotate park? or it it more of MK has the parades and Epcot has the fireworks show, and AK has their xxxx, and you just pick what you want to see that night?

2. Ancillaries- I know this could range from $0 to infinity, but maybe put some prices on stuff Tshirts run?, 8-12" stuffed animal?, mouse ears (with the name embroidered of course- they still do that right)? I have an overall budget and if giving them the experiences means a lesser hotel then so be it. Just don't want to book the upgrade and then get hammered on site.

3 Meals- Assume a meal plan (currently one sit down meal) do you tip? Are there additional items not covered by the meal plan (Oh, that dessert, is an extra $X)? At character meals- do you tip characters/are there upcharge things there (i.e. you take the Mrs out to a swanky dinner and they come by with a basket of roses for $5 a pop type stuff- only disneyfied). I'm sure they don;t want money flying around so I'm guessing there's somethign on the bill/acknowledgement for the meal.

4 Free wifi at the parks? Would think reception could be spotty, but we gave the 10 yo an old iphone without a plan so allowing her a little longer physical lease and swapping with a virtual one would be welcomed by all, especially at the hotel.

5 Flying in so no wheels- I think I asked this last time, but are there general stores on the grounds? Basically can I go buy a few fruit snacks, bag of pretzels, ibuprofen, and cold frosty ones without driving? We've been extremely fortunate in vacationing at all inclusives recently.

Checked the link for free meals and it appears they run that promo that time of year almost every year. Is that something that if I were to book within the next month or so before the plan dates are released (to take advantage of any 180 day out options) I can call and get a refund/reduction of bill if our stay coincides? Happen automatically? Sounds like I may be swapping meal expense for special event tickets if it breaks my way. It's a free meal plan for all restaurants right? 

Highly doubt the 10 yo will be into star wars as she refuses to watch the movies. The whole family is very meh. Thanks for the tip on face characters. She's still a little girl inside so I'm sure it'll come out. Dear god please tell me there isn't some tweener Bizzardvark, Camp Kikiwaka, Liv and Maddie mecca there?!?!?! If so I'll need to redact that from all materials/maps she could see or read. 

Something that I did not think of that's been mentioned a few times but really caught me off guard and wanted to call out was there is no on site transportation to the resorts (unless I utilize the monorail (assume stay at contemp) or ferries) correct?

@glvsav37

Dude, you are money!! Spent the better part of the day today (being highly productive at work) going back and reading the last several pages. Helped add color/solve some of my original questions.

Saw online that Carribean was under construction. Looks like the work will be overnight so I'm a little concerned.  On one hand, that $75/night goes a long way towards buying t-shirts, other experieces, and what not. However if I'm not sleeping, there's no amount of tshirts/stuffed animals that'll make this a success.

I guess I'm struggling with the ~1500 upcharge (~215/night-eek!) between PO/moderates and Contemp (Sorry Acer, despite being a FBG, the Polly is outta price range- even with the sit by the pool or in the room with a beer and watch the fireworks). Gotta remove the notion that its a place to sleep and not much else. Instead think about it as the pools/food offering and those conveniences along with location during the heat of the day. No way my 6 yo makes it a week straight in that heat/lines/mass of people. Hell I won't. Is there a room type at the contemp that offers fireworks view/another perk- I think the rooftop was mentioned. That a packed place at night?

Showing my rookieness here but it's so much easier to ask pointed questions vs scan through endless drivel on the webpages:

1. Parades held every night and they rotate park? or it it more of MK has the parades and Epcot has the fireworks show, and AK has their xxxx, and you just pick what you want to see that night?

2. Ancillaries- I know this could range from $0 to infinity, but maybe put some prices on stuff Tshirts run?, 8-12" stuffed animal?, mouse ears (with the name embroidered of course- they still do that right)? I have an overall budget and if giving them the experiences means a lesser hotel then so be it. Just don't want to book the upgrade and then get hammered on site.

3 Meals- Assume a meal plan (currently one sit down meal) do you tip? Are there additional items not covered by the meal plan (Oh, that dessert, is an extra $X)? At character meals- do you tip characters/are there upcharge things there (i.e. you take the Mrs out to a swanky dinner and they come by with a basket of roses for $5 a pop type stuff- only disneyfied). I'm sure they don;t want money flying around so I'm guessing there's somethign on the bill/acknowledgement for the meal.

4 Free wifi at the parks? Would think reception could be spotty, but we gave the 10 yo an old iphone without a plan so allowing her a little longer physical lease and swapping with a virtual one would be welcomed by all, especially at the hotel.

5 Flying in so no wheels- I think I asked this last time, but are there general stores on the grounds? Basically can I go buy a few fruit snacks, bag of pretzels, ibuprofen, and cold frosty ones without driving? We've been extremely fortunate in vacationing at all inclusives recently.

Checked the link for free meals and it appears they run that promo that time of year almost every year. Is that something that if I were to book within the next month or so before the plan dates are released (to take advantage of any 180 day out options) I can call and get a refund/reduction of bill if our stay coincides? Happen automatically? Sounds like I may be swapping meal expense for special event tickets if it breaks my way. It's a free meal plan for all restaurants right? 

Highly doubt the 10 yo will be into star wars as she refuses to watch the movies. The whole family is very meh. Thanks for the tip on face characters. She's still a little girl inside so I'm sure it'll come out. Dear god please tell me there isn't some tweener Bizzardvark, Camp Kikiwaka, Liv and Maddie mecca there?!?!?! If so I'll need to redact that from all materials/maps she could see or read. 

Something that I did not think of that's been mentioned a few times but really caught me off guard and wanted to call out was there is no on site transportation to the resorts (unless I utilize the monorail (assume stay at contemp) or ferries) correct?

#2 - What worked for us is that we gave our boys $____ amount of money for the week for them to buy whatever they wanted for extras (i.e. non-food/drinks).  We had a talk with them before about what that meant, and they seemed to make some good choices along the way.

#4 - there's free wifi, works pretty good most of the time

#5 - check out gardengrocer.com.  But yes, there are general stores in most of the hotel lobbys. Garden grocer will be cheaper though

Thanks for the tips.

I'll ask the Mrs about the $$. I like you're idea but the 10 yo will himhaw back and forth. She'll want to go into every store and check it out and touch everything. Then won't make up her mind and want us on the last day to go back to every possible stop to get what she wants. "You remember dad, the one store by the ride with water." "Great sweetie that's still half the park." That or she'll not buy a thing because she doesn't want to spend the money (and save it for us). She's an amazing kid who put others ahead of herself A LOT. Maybe have a published allowance, and the ol dad sneaks back and grabs it if it's something reasonable. 6 yo is still learning the value of things, she does much better with the you can pick out one thing principle. 

Thanks for the gardengrocer link. Any local beverages you can recommend. Hey, this is a family trip right. Dad needs to get a win in here somewhere. The only things that are out are Stouts, and spiced/fruited beers. I like/love a good hefeweizen and a slice of orange is ok. I'm taking more that leinenkugel swill. 

@glvsav37

Each park has their own night entertainment
MK just lost their night parade (went to DL  :hot: ) and right now there
is no plans to replace it. But you do get nightly fireworks.
Epcot has illuminations at
9pm every night, show on the big lake so there is ample opportunity to watch it.
Studios has 2 shows (that pretty much happen at the same time) Fantasmic is a sit down,
arean ype show with some fireworks and lots of characters (warning can be scary to young ones) and the newish Star Wars fireworks show that is at the main courtyard and projected on the Chinese Theather. 
AK has just started a bunch of
night time shows, the big one is Rivers of Light (i suggest booking the Tusker house Dining package here) and then periodic image mapped shows on the Tree of Life. 

Yea, Infinity....and beyond! (see what I did there) Shirts $19-$29 range I guess, Stuffed animals from $15-$100+ (huge ones), mouse ears $18-25 plus writing I think, but yes they do that at certain shops. If you want, you can download the "Shop Disney Parks" app to your phone and browse the merch. Its pretty cool, bc you can find and item and then locate it on the park map.

Tips are not included, but you only tip the servers, not the characters. Trust me, if I'm handing some cash to Jasmine, its not gonna be for delivering me a cheeseburger.
your meal plan includes  1 Table Service credit (Non Alcoholic drink, meal and dessert, or if at a buffet, anything there that isnt nailed down—seriously, grab bananas on the way out for the park munching). 1 QS Credit—fast food in the parks or resorts. Drink, meal and dessert. 2 Snack credits—popcorn, water, ice cream, also muffins or bagels for a quick, cheap breakfast. THere is a small "
Snack symbol (that purple thing)" net to the items you can use it on .
No..no roses or any other upcharges at the table.

Yes, Wifi is free and you will need it. You'll need the Disney theme parks app to do all your FPs and such.

You'll be taking the magical express (free bus service from the airport) and it does not stop anywhere to buy stuff. So while yes, there is a general store at most resorts, it can be expensive. However, there are grocery delivery services avail for a cheaper service charge then you would pay in disney up charges. I've used Garden Grocer in the past without issue. You order through them, let them know when/where you are checking in and they will have the groceries waiting for you at Bell Services—they even have refriderators at the resorts to keep milk and stuff cold. I've never used them for beer, but i'm sure they offer it. There is also Amazon's grocery delivery service (however there is a small fee at the resort for this) and also Uber Eats and Amazon Now service the resorts. Both offer 1 hour food and grocery delivery.

A lot of people look for this...they plan their whole vacation around it. I cant travel then, so I really don't follow the details. @AAABatteries might be a good resource for that.

Highly doubt the 10 yo will be into star wars as she refuses to watch the movies. The whole family is very meh. Thanks for the tip on face characters. She's still a little girl inside so I'm sure it'll come out. Dear god please tell me there isn't some tweener Bizzardvark, Camp Kikiwaka, Liv and Maddie mecca there?!?!?! If so I'll need to redact that from all materials/maps she could see or read. lol...with a 10yr old girl myself, i can relate. No, none of that stuff there.

incorrect: 1st off there is the Disney magical Express (DME). you take it from MCO-Orlando airport. When booking, be sure to call the DME dept. THey will send you special YELLOW bag tags with a bar code on them. They look just like the ones the airline puts on. Once you check your bags at departure, you wont see them again until they are in your room. Once off the plane, walk down to the DME  lobby and get on the bus they tell you to and it will take you to your resort.
Once on property, there are many ways to get around. The main one is the bus service. It goes from resort to the theme/water parks, and Disney Springs. It does not go resort to resort though, so if you have dining reservations at another resort, grab a cab.
The Monorail, is very limited and really only used by those MK resort guests. I is really just a loop around 7 Seas lagoon stopping at Contemp, Polly and Grand floridian, plus the Ticket and transportation center (TTC). You won't need to know much about that b/c as an on-site guest, the bus will take you pretty much ot the front gate of MK. THe TTC is really for people who drive to the MK.  You also pick up the monorial to Epcot from there, but again, unless you are going from MK > Epcot (or reverse) you won't need to use it.
There are also a lot of boat transportation avail. Boats go from MK to the MK resorts and the wildreness lodge, and boats go from Epcot to the Epcot resorts and Studios (so if you are hopping between those parks, the boat is the way to go).
Finally there are taxis and Ubers. We use them often and I recommend them highly when you want to save time. Most trips cost around $20.
Disney has been selling a special express Bus pass, but I don't know much about it, never used it.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll ask the Mrs about the $$. I like you're idea but the 10 yo will himhaw back and forth. She'll want to go into every store and check it out and touch everything. Then won't make up her mind and want us on the last day to go back to every possible stop to get what she wants. "You remember dad, the one store by the ride with water." "Great sweetie that's still half the park." That or she'll not buy a thing because she doesn't want to spend the money (and save it for us). She's an amazing kid who put others ahead of herself A LOT. Maybe have a published allowance, and the ol dad sneaks back and grabs it if it's something reasonable. 6 yo is still learning the value of things, she does much better with the you can pick out one thing principle. 

Thanks for the gardengrocer link. Any local beverages you can recommend. Hey, this is a family trip right. Dad needs to get a win in here somewhere. The only things that are out are Stouts, and spiced/fruited beers. I like/love a good hefeweizen and a slice of orange is ok. I'm taking more that leinenkugel swill. 

the one good thing is that at the main MK store, they sold virtually everything I saw elsewhere in all the other parks (I'm sure there are a few exceptions.  I wasn't too impressed with Florida Beers in general.  I would just order something that you trust and you can always pick up a few beers around the parks here and there.

And @odin33 the cool thing about buying park merch is that as a resort guest, the store will let you send the package back to your resort for free. So if you buy something and don't want to lug it around, the store will ship it back to your resort gift shop and be there then next morning.   

glvsav37 said:
And @odin33 the cool thing about buying park merch is that as a resort guest, the store will let you send the package back to your resort for free. So if you buy something and don't want to lug it around, the store will ship it back to your resort gift shop and be there then next morning.   
Awesome. Whoever made the Sherpa comment earlier is exactly what I was expecting. Sure honey you can have that three foot Minnie doll.  I wanted to lug it around for the next 3 hours

Tiger Fan said:
the one good thing is that at the main MK store, they sold virtually everything I saw elsewhere in all the other parks (I'm sure there are a few exceptions.  I wasn't too impressed with Florida Beers in general.  I would just order something that you trust and you can always pick up a few beers around the parks here and there.
They need better local beers IMO

Users who are viewing this thread