What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should the 49ers trade #6 to Denver (1 Viewer)

Fair or not, Nolan's success is tied directly to Alex Smith's development, and I don't know any better way of helping him than acquiring a player like VD.
I'll repeat: they added the underrated (in light of the last 1.5 seasons) Antonio Bryant and Battle is emerging. Johnson is getting healthy and a very, very good TE will be available with their 2nd pick.VD is not a foregone conclusion in this scenario. They'd be crazy to not take that offer.

I'd do it if I'm SF..they need some impact players..namely,ones to protect alex smith..

they might also want to sit still at their first pick and hope VY falls to them. Hes a better long term answer than Smith is, IMO..smith came from a gimmick offense and looks terrible in the NFL..VY has won 2 straight rose bowls,and an Natl chamionship..he can scramble and create on the run..with that o-line,

the Niners need a qb like that..
Being a Giants fan, you should know how much a QB can improve from year 1 to year 2. Eli looked just as bad his first year.
I guess..Eli also has a last name of Manning,where he ate and drank football 24/7..its like having a football coach helping to raise you..both Eli Manning and Chris Simms had teachers that Smith never had..seriously though, any comparison of Smith to Manning is unfair...Smith has a long way to go to even be considered a decent QB..a LONG way to go..
Both were #1 picks.....both struggled mightily their rookie year...both showed improvement at the end of their rookie year.Biggest difference I see (outside of their last names :lmao: ) is the quality of players around them. While Eli had Amani Toomer, Tiki Barber, Jeremy Shockey, and later Plaxico Burress.........Alex Smith had Jason McAddley, Arnaz Battle, Brandon Lloyd, Hicks/Barlow/Gore and Terry Jones. Not one of those players could have started on the Giants.

So what I think you meant to say is that Alex Smith's supporting cast has a long way to go to be decent.

If I'm Ted Thompson, Javon Walker and the Packers' first-round pick to Denver for Lelie and the Broncos' two first-round picks would be something to consider.

If I'm Ted Thompson, Javon Walker and the Packers' first-round pick to Denver for Lelie and the Broncos' two first-round picks would be something to consider.
Sure, if he wants to get fired...Broncos get a better WR AND the #5 pick?

Sure, if he wants to get fired...Broncos get a better WR AND the #5 pick?
I'd have no problem with that trade if the Packers don't believe they'll be able to land a sure-fire stud with the fifth pick (and unless they take Vernon Davis they probably won't get one although I do like Hawk). I'm not a big Lelie fan by any stretch and while he's not as good as Walker obviously he's a HUGE upgrade over Ferguson and he's more talented IMO than Gardner as well. More importantly, adding a second first-round pick enables the Packers to further address the massive talent issues that confront the team by adding another top-level player on the first day.

I'd do it if I'm SF..they need some impact players..namely,ones to protect alex smith..

they might also want to sit still at their first pick and hope VY falls to them. Hes a better long term answer than Smith is, IMO..smith came from a gimmick offense and looks terrible in the NFL..VY has won 2 straight rose bowls,and an Natl chamionship..he can scramble and create on the run..with that o-line,

What in the world do you consider Texas' offense?

As an informal exercise, I am gonna list all the players available at picks 13-21 (first pick) and 22-32 the last few years.

I started at 13 to add leeway for obvious reasons.

13-21 (2005)13 Jammal Brown Saints T Oklahoma14 Thomas Davis Panthers DB Georgia15 Derrick O. Johnson Chiefs LB Texas16 Travis Johnson Texans DT Florida State17 David Pollack Bengals DE Georgia18 Erasmus James Vikings DE Wisconsin19 Alex Barron Rams T Florida State20 Marcus Spears Cowboys DE Louisiana State21 Matt Jones Jaguars WR Arkansas22 Mark Clayton Ravens WR Oklahoma13-21 (2004)13 Lee Evans Bills WR Wisconsin14 Tommie Harris Bears DT Oklahoma15 Michael Clayton Buccaneers WR Louisiana State16 Shawn Andrews Eagles T Arkansas17 D.J. Williams Broncos LB Miami (FL)18 Will Smith Saints DE Ohio State19 Vernon Carey Dolphins G Miami (FL)20 Kenechi Udeze Vikings DE USC21 Vince Wilfork Patriots DT Miami (FL)13-21 (2003)13 Ty Warren Patriots DT Texas A&M14 Michael Haynes Bears DE Penn State15 Jerome McDougle Eagles DE Miami (FL)16 Troy Polamalu Steelers DB USC17 Bryant Johnson Cardinals WR Penn State18 Calvin Pace Cardinals DE Wake Forest19 Kyle Boller Ravens QB California20 George Foster Broncos T Georgia21 Jeff Faine Browns C Notre Dame
Code:
22-32 (2005)22	Mark Clayton	Ravens	WR	Oklahoma23	Fabian Washington	Raiders	DB	Nebraska24	Aaron Rodgers	Packers	QB	California25	Jason Campbell	Redskins	QB	Auburn26	Chris Spencer	Seahawks	C	Mississippi27	Roddy White	Falcons	WR	Alabama-Birmingham28	Luis Castillo	Chargers	DT	Northwestern29	Marlin Jackson	Colts	DB	Michigan30	Heath Miller	Steelers	TE	Virginia31	Mike Patterson	Eagles	DT	USC32	Logan Mankins	Patriots	G	Fresno State22-32 (2004)22	J.P. Losman	Bills	QB	Tulane23	Marcus Tubbs	Seahawks	DT	Texas24	Steven Jackson	Rams	RB	Oregon State25	Ahmad Carroll	Packers	DB	Arkansas26	Chris Perry	Bengals	RB	Michigan27	Jason Babin	Texans	DE	Western Michigan28	Chris Gamble	Panthers	DB	Ohio State29	Michael Jenkins	Falcons	WR	Ohio State30	Kevin Jones	Lions	RB	Virginia Tech31	Rashaun Woods	49ers	WR	Oklahoma State32	Ben Watson	Patriots	TE	Georgia22-32 (2003)22	Rex Grossman	Bears	QB	Florida23	Willis McGahee	Bills	RB	Miami (FL)24	Dallas Clark	Colts	TE	Iowa25	William Joseph	Giants	DT	Miami (FL)26	Kwame Harris	49ers	T	Stanford27	Larry Johnson	Chiefs	RB	Penn State28	Andre Woolfolk	Titans	DB	Oklahoma29	Nick Barnett	Packers	LB	Oregon State30	Sammy Davis	Chargers	DB	Texas A&M31	Nnamdi Asomugha	Raiders	DB	California32	Tyler Brayton	Raiders	DE	Colorado
I dunno about you guys, but I see a lot of good talent in the range of picks that Denver could be packaging.It's like...

Do you want Larry Fitzgerald, or Lee Evans AND Steven Jackson for the price of Fitz?

Pacman Jones or Shawn Merriman AND Marcus Spears for the same price as Pacman?

That's a best case scenario, but I'd rather have two shots at a good player than one. Same cost and better upside IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Being a Giants fan, you should know how much a QB can improve from year 1 to year 2. Eli looked just as bad his first year.
I guess..Eli also has a last name of Manning,where he ate and drank football 24/7..its like having a football coach helping to raise you..both Eli Manning and Chris Simms had teachers that Smith never had..seriously though, any comparison of Smith to Manning is unfair...Smith has a long way to go to even be considered a decent QB..a LONG way to go..
Both were #1 picks.....both struggled mightily their rookie year...both showed improvement at the end of their rookie year.Biggest difference I see (outside of their last names :lmao: ) is the quality of players around them. While Eli had Amani Toomer, Tiki Barber, Jeremy Shockey, and later Plaxico Burress.........Alex Smith had Jason McAddley, Arnaz Battle, Brandon Lloyd, Hicks/Barlow/Gore and Terry Jones. Not one of those players could have started on the Giants.

So what I think you meant to say is that Alex Smith's supporting cast has a long way to go to be decent.
:goodposting: Alex certainly didn't look great, but he had a lot of help. Always playing catch up, no real quality starters anywhere on offense to take the pressure off, a below average o-line coupled with a bottom ranked D spells disaster for any QB. Do you really think that any QB would have had success in that situation? The real question is what Alex would have done with the Giants offensive personnel.

I don't care what the trade calculator says--NO WAY do I make that trade if I'm SF.

The offense is what needs improvement more than filling holes on Defense.
In 2005, San Francisco's offense and defense were both rated #30 of 32 in points allowed, and #32 of 32 in yardage allowed. Their defense allowed 800 more passing yards than the #31 team in that category, despite the fact that the Niners were behind in every game. So while the offense was certainly putrid, the defense was just as bad. I think two mid-first-round picks are a lot more likely to help this team than a tight end, especially when they have a tight end who was #4 in receiving yardage in 2004, and then injured in 2005.

So while the offense was certainly putrid, the defense was just as bad. I think two mid-first-round picks are a lot more likely to help this team than a tight end, especially when they have a tight end who was #4 in receiving yardage in 2004, and then injured in 2005.
Not to mention they lost their best defender in the off-season... Someone who could've come back and contributed quite a bit this year.On offense, they've at least held serve.

So while the offense was certainly putrid, the defense was just as bad. I think two mid-first-round picks are a lot more likely to help this team than a tight end, especially when they have a tight end who was #4 in receiving yardage in 2004, and then injured in 2005.
Not to mention they lost their best defender in the off-season... Someone who could've come back and contributed quite a bit this year.On offense, they've at least held serve.
Yeah! They lost one of their defenders that contributed to the worst defense in the league. I still believe it was a good move to let Petterson go, he was demanding way too much, and not producing hardly enough.

The Niners should pull this trade if Denver offers it. When have you heard of a TE like Vernon Davis coming in and turning a franchise around? As good as Vernon Davis is, I believe he's way overrated. The TE position is really deep this year. Pope, Mercedes, Klopfenstein would all be great picks. I would even argue that Pope is just as good as Davis with his height being a huge factor in the red zone. In fact, with a healthy pass catching TE in Eric Johnson and great blocking TE in Terry Jones I think the Niners are pretty set at the TE position. They have way bigger holes to fill on defense. With the 15th and 22nd picks you can get fill a couple holes in your defense and still use your second round pick for that guy on offense.

The Niners should pull this trade if Denver offers it. When have you heard of a TE like Vernon Davis coming in and turning a franchise around? As good as Vernon Davis is, I believe he's way overrated. The TE position is really deep this year. Pope, Mercedes, Klopfenstein would all be great picks. I would even argue that Pope is just as good as Davis with his height being a huge factor in the red zone. In fact, with a healthy pass catching TE in Eric Johnson and great blocking TE in Terry Jones I think the Niners are pretty set at the TE position. They have way bigger holes to fill on defense. With the 15th and 22nd picks you can get fill a couple holes in your defense and still use your second round pick for that guy on offense.
Now you're thinking like a guy trying to build a contender. :thumbup:

:goodposting: Correct me if I'm wrong too, but isn't EJ more of a pass first option TE? I think if they did this trade it'd be in their best interest to either draft Pope with one of the two aquired picks and address the defense with the other, if they want a pass catching TE first, or take two defenders in the first round and give a look towards someone like Anthony Fasano (homer pick) who is more of a jack-of-all-trades TE to compliment someone like EJ on the other side of the formation.

The Niners should pull this trade if Denver offers it.  When have you heard of a TE like Vernon Davis coming in and turning a franchise around?  As good as Vernon Davis is, I believe he's way overrated.  The TE position is really deep this year.  Pope, Mercedes, Klopfenstein would all be great picks.  I would even argue that Pope is just as good as Davis with his height being a huge factor in the red zone.  In fact, with a healthy pass catching TE in Eric Johnson and great blocking TE in Terry Jones I think the Niners are pretty set at the TE position.  They have way bigger holes to fill on defense.  With the 15th and 22nd picks you can get fill a couple holes in your defense and still use your second round pick for that guy on offense.
:goodposting: Correct me if I'm wrong too, but isn't EJ more of a pass first option TE? I think if they did this trade it'd be in their best interest to either draft Pope with one of the two aquired picks and address the defense with the other, if they want a pass catching TE first, or take two defenders in the first round and give a look towards someone like Anthony Fasano (homer pick) who is more of a jack-of-all-trades TE to compliment someone like EJ on the other side of the formation.
Hes more of a get injured first TE. The 49ers shouldnt make any choices based on his presence on the team.

Speculation making the national rounds is the Broncos will package their No. 15 and No. 22 picks in the first round to move up to No. 5 (Green Bay) or No. 6 (San Francisco) to take Maryland tight end Vernon Davis, whose football ability, size and speed make him an off-the-charts NFL prospect. Davis is not likely to be on the board past the seventh pick.

-- Denver Post

As a 49er fan, I've become more and more enamored with Vernon Davis playing TE for San Francisco.  Would Mike Nolan and company be better off to trade that pick to Denver and get 2 first round (albeit lesser) talents rather than 1 potential super-stud?

My initial feeling is that they ought to sit at 6 and take Davis if Denver doesn't move up to #5 to get him.

Thoughts?
I don't think SF takes Davis at #6 even if he was available.
Who DO you see SF taking, then?
Michael Huff or Winston Justice. AJ Hawk or Mario Williams if they fall.

Now you're thinking like a guy trying to build a contender. :thumbup:
Since when is that a fact? He'll never stay healthy for an entire 16 game season so he shouldn't be considered for SF's long-term plans. As far as a TE turning a team around - does Antonio Gates ring a bell? That's how good Davis looks and he would be the go-to receiver that Smith needs. I'm not totally against the thought of the trade since the 49ers need help all over the field, but I wouldn't do it because Davis doesn't look like an impact player.

Man, if that happened, watch out. Too bad it won't happen.

The Niners should pull this trade if Denver offers it.  When have you heard of a TE like Vernon Davis coming in and turning a franchise around?  As good as Vernon Davis is, I believe he's way overrated.  The TE position is really deep this year.  Pope, Mercedes, Klopfenstein would all be great picks.  I would even argue that Pope is just as good as Davis with his height being a huge factor in the red zone.  In fact, with a healthy pass catching TE in Eric Johnson and great blocking TE in Terry Jones I think the Niners are pretty set at the TE position.  They have way bigger holes to fill on defense.  With the 15th and 22nd picks you can get fill a couple holes in your defense and still use your second round pick for that guy on offense.
Hes more of a get injured first TE. The 49ers shouldnt make any choices based on his presence on the team.
:goodposting: If the Niners don't take Vernon Davis at #6, they're not going to narrow their sights on a TE later in the 1st or even in the 2nd; they'll draft BPA because they have needs EVERYWHERE. I think the argument becomes is Davis (or any other player at #6) enough of a stud to turn down 2 later 1st round picks and stay at #6. Some really good arguments made on both sides. Doc Oc said the 49ers would take "Michael Huff or Winston Justice. AJ Hawk or Mario Williams if they fall." Of those guys, the only one that MIGHT make me turn down #15 and #22 would be Mario. In fact, if I'm Nolan and this Denver offer comes available, the only guys I stand pat and consider taking with #6 are Bush, Mario, and Davis. If they're gone, I'm taking the trade.

Since when is that a fact? He'll never stay healthy for an entire 16 game season so he shouldn't be considered for SF's long-term plans. As far as a TE turning a team around - does Antonio Gates ring a bell? That's how good Davis looks and he would be the go-to receiver that Smith needs.
When was I talking about EJ specifically? I wasn't. I don't see why you felt the need to bold one sentence of a big paragraph and take issue with my agreeing with his statements in general because of the sentence.But to touch on EJ... When healthy, he can certainly be a difference maker. The 9ers can afford to take a calculated risk there. At least they can look at him and say "we have an xx% chance of getting good production from our TE spot this year". They can't do that at several other positions and need to build there. I think they should've taken a calculated risk at QB with Rattay last year and passed on Alex Smith as well.

Since when is that a fact? He'll never stay healthy for an entire 16 game season so he shouldn't be considered for SF's long-term plans. As far as a TE turning a team around - does Antonio Gates ring a bell? That's how good Davis looks and he would be the go-to receiver that Smith needs.
When was I talking about EJ specifically? I wasn't. I don't see why you felt the need to bold one sentence of a big paragraph and take issue with my agreeing with his statements in general because of the sentence.But to touch on EJ... When healthy, he can certainly be a difference maker. The 9ers can afford to take a calculated risk there. At least they can look at him and say "we have an xx% chance of getting good production from our TE spot this year". They can't do that at several other positions and need to build there.

I think they should've taken a calculated risk at QB with Rattay last year and passed on Alex Smith as well.
I singled that out since it was the one part I didn't agree with.I understand the need to make a calculated risk but EJ isn't worth it IMO. He's just not a guy whose body can handle the abuse of the NFL. Some guys are like that and he's not someone they can rely on.

Also agree with you on Rattay, they should have kept him and worked on the rest of the team since no QB was going to be very successful last year.

However, now that they have Smith they have to give him a reliable outlet. EJ, if he's healthy, should be the starting TE but Davis creates so many match up problems for defenses that he'll be able to make an instant impact.

When was I talking about EJ specifically? I wasn't. I don't see why you felt the need to bold one sentence of a big paragraph and take issue with my agreeing with his statements in general because of the sentence.But to touch on EJ... When healthy, he can certainly be a difference maker. The 9ers can afford to take a calculated risk there. At least they can look at him and say "we have an xx% chance of getting good production from our TE spot this year". They can't do that at several other positions and need to build there.

I think they should've taken a calculated risk at QB with Rattay last year and passed on Alex Smith as well.
I singled that out since it was the one part I didn't agree with.I understand the need to make a calculated risk but EJ isn't worth it IMO. He's just not a guy whose body can handle the abuse of the NFL. Some guys are like that and he's not someone they can rely on.

Also agree with you on Rattay, they should have kept him and worked on the rest of the team since no QB was going to be very successful last year.

However, now that they have Smith they have to give him a reliable outlet. EJ, if he's healthy, should be the starting TE but Davis creates so many match up problems for defenses that he'll be able to make an instant impact.
All Eric Johnson had was Plantar Fascitis. Not like he tore an ACL or something. That type of injury is really minor, but it takes a long time to heal.

I don't care what the trade calculator says--NO WAY do I make that trade if I'm SF.

The offense is what needs improvement more than filling holes on Defense.
In 2005, San Francisco's offense and defense were both rated #30 of 32 in points allowed, and #32 of 32 in yardage allowed. Their defense allowed 800 more passing yards than the #31 team in that category, despite the fact that the Niners were behind in every game. So while the offense was certainly putrid, the defense was just as bad. I think two mid-first-round picks are a lot more likely to help this team than a tight end, especially when they have a tight end who was #4 in receiving yardage in 2004, and then injured in 2005.
We can go back a few thread where we already talked about this.The fact the 49ers led the NFL in 3 and outs, 2nd worst in TOP, and often left the D in horrible position--and the injury bug that depleted the secondary--hurt the D stats.

An improvement by the offense from 'worst in the leauge' to mediocre will do more to improve the D than any player they can draft at #6, IMO.

VD and TOP

The SF offense last year:

*ran the fewest offensive plays in the NFL

*had the lowest 3rd down conv rate (24%)

*had the most 3 and outs in the NFL

*had the 2nd lowest TOP in the NFL (27.18, jets at 26.37)

*the defense was on the field for the most plays in the NFL last year
And EJ--he's missed 2 of the last 3 years. GReat player, but I just don't think you can count on him. If he's back, count it as a bonus. Also, he is in the last year of his contract, FWIW.VD = playmaker, a guy DC's will have to scheme for. You see any other guys on the offense teams have to worry about? :yucky:

We can go back a few thread where we already talked about this.

The fact the 49ers led the NFL in 3 and outs, 2nd worst in TOP, and often left the D in horrible position--and the injury bug that depleted the secondary--hurt the D stats.
You were wrong the last time we talked about it, too.The Niners D gave up 7.69 yards per passing attempt. Only one other team was even over 7.0 ypa. Yards per attempt has nothing to do with time of posession; in fact, you would expect low time of posession to go along with bad defensive rushing stats, not bad defensive passing stats.

Their 4427 passing yards allowed is the most since the 2002 San Diego Chargers (who had a middling offense that year). Those are the only two teams in the past 10 years to give up that many passing yards.

It's simply ridiculous to post a bunch of offensive stats and say they caused the bad defensive stats. It would be equally ridiculous to note how bad the defense was and say that caused the bad offensive stats. What's the correlation coefficient for offensive TOP against defensive passing YPA?

The Niners totally sucked on both sides of the ball. They need a lot of help.

Since when is that a fact?  He'll never stay healthy for an entire 16 game season so he shouldn't be considered for SF's long-term plans.  As far as a TE turning a team around - does Antonio Gates ring a bell?  That's how good Davis looks and he would be the go-to receiver that Smith needs. 

All Eric Johnson had was Plantar Fascitis. Not like he tore an ACL or something. That type of injury is really minor, but it takes a long time to heal.
This is in most cases alot WORSE and alot LONGER of a problem than an ACL.

This is in most cases alot WORSE and alot LONGER of a problem than an ACL.
That's just incorrect.

the Niners need  a qb like that..

well, sort of..another part of it,and what I meant about the last names, is that Archie Manning played for a number of years in the NFL, and from a very early age, both Peyton and Eli were taught things from him, a pro...I don't know when Alex Smith got interested in football, but I doubt he was being groomed to be an NFL player since birth like both Manning's were. it was and has been ingrained in their heads that they will be pro QB's some day..thats my point about the last name: they both had a Archie Manning to learn from,at a very early age..Smith didn't have that kind of tutoring..Lofa Tatupu had it..Chris Simms had it..I definitely think there is an advantage to growing up as the son of an NFL player, in terms of football knowledge..it's like the difference between going to Harvard or attending Morris Community College here in NJ.. :lmao: As Andy has said,the supporting cast in SF isn't all that bad,actually! the WR's are

good..Bryant is an up-n-coming player, Battle looks like he's the real deal, that he could have a breakout season perhaps as early as 2006..the RB's are very good, and with Norv Turner calling the offensive plays, there's a good chance one of these guys,either Gore or Barlow, will be a top 15 RB by the end of the season, going by what Norv Turner has done in the past with the RB's he's coached..

Yes Smith is still young, and shows a lot of promise. he also looks horrible at other times, typical of a rookie..you'll have to sit thru the ups and downs, just like Eli, just like Peyton..all I'm saying is that there have been many QB's to come down the pike and be drafted #1 overall or in the top 5, that haven't panned out.Shuler, Nagle, Couch, Harrington,Leaf, Akili Smith, and so on. Heck,we don't even know about Philip Rivers yet! they threw the kitchen sink at Smith in terms of cash, so I hope it all works out, but only time will tell..

one thing that would go a long way to helping them out,is trading down with denver,and drafting some o-line help, or solidifying the defense..VD would be nice, too.

Users who are viewing this thread