What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***youtube thread*** (2 Viewers)

I didn't go through all the pages here to see if this was mentioned. If it was sorry.

But this is one of the most creative uses of youtube I've seen. Actually it is the single most creative use of youtube I've ever seen.

The artist samples unrelated clips from youtube...mixes them together..and creates...well watch. Fascinating...

http://thru-you.com/
That's pretty awesome.
:thumbup:
Fantastic! :shock: This made me smile That kid rocks.

Okay. I've seen

in the past, but this is the first I have seen where it states that the kid died.A quick search of Snopes turned up nothing and other hits for "kid dies from basketball blow to the head" and variations doesn't turn up anything to the contrary.

:hifive:

Anyone? :(

And holy crap! Once you start searching for those terms be prepared for the likes of

:hifive:

YouTube is the suck. Don't know when they changed it but videos do not load unless you are watching them. In the olden days you could click on a video and allow it to load so there was no buffering but not now. Also, if you want to replay a video, it has to reload some of the time now thus creating more lag and buffering.

YouTube used to be awesome... not so much now.

I'm sure it's a :honda: but I still laugh at this video years later. Never gets old. Warning! Explicit language.

Discovered this guy yesterday. He used to be a documentarian but this is his first YT channel. Went to college in Boston, after which he got married and moved to NYC then bought a fixer upper row house in D.C. A few years ago he and his wife bought a run down 150 homestead/farm in NE Vermont village of 750 people, and after a few years of work to the circa 1835 house, he made the jump. He's teaching himself how to be a sustainable farmer (economically & environmentally). He doesn't have an agricultural background. Just a regular guy who decided he wanted to stop being miserable in his career and made a massive change - but he really planned it out carefully. He's not really ultra eco or vegan or even all that crunchy, but he's got a long term vision of building something for his family that will be self-sufficient and produces income from both livestock and the permaculture orchard he planted. This year he's going to start growing hemp. It's a long view and he is going slow so right now it's a pretty modest operation. Some of his videos are just mundane stuff (how to train a barn cat) or about the experience of being part of a Vermont community (this week they had their annual Town Meeting day - first Tuesday of March each year.)

Initially got sucked in because he opted for dual Tesla Powerwalls in lieu of a generator. Doesn't even have solar panels (yet), but he charges them up during off-peak hours, and during power outages - which due to heavy snowfall are on the regular - he can run the farm for up to 9 days off the Powerwalls. That video turned into a rabbit hole and I spent several hours yesterday and last night following his story.

Great channel to educate yourself about big ag, small farming, why farmers markets matter, sustainable living without being extreme...just good everyday stuff. Enjoy.

Last few weeks I’ve been going through a 27-part open course from Yale University

The Civil War and Reconstruction Era, 1845-1877

HIST 119 - course page

Lectures are by professor David Blight

(perhaps best know for his books, notably Race and Reunion: The Civil War in American History & Frederick Douglas: Prophet of Freedom)

Both entertaining and informative. Light on the military minutiae but insightful on the meaning of the period. Discovered it because I wanted to become better informed on the postwar period.

That it’s 15 years old does not diminish its value. I actually find it liberating it isn’t seen through the prism of more recent events (rise of Trump, Charlottesville, Confederate monuments, 1619 project / CRT.) It’s an excellent resource free of having to define itself relative to any of those charged events.

Anyway, Blight is a treasure.

Last few weeks I’ve been going through a 27-part open course from Yale University

HIST 119 - course page

(perhaps best know for his books, notably Race and Reunion: The Civil War in American History & Frederick Douglas: Prophet of Freedom)

Both entertaining and informative. Light on the military minutiae but insightful on the meaning of the period. Discovered it because I wanted to become better informed on the postwar period.

That it’s 15 years old does not diminish its value. I actually find it liberating it isn’t seen through the prism of more recent events (rise of Trump, Charlottesville, Confederate monuments, 1619 project / CRT.) It’s an excellent resource free of having to define itself relative to any of those charged events.

Thanks for posting this. I keep meaning to start a course, but there are so many out there that it's kind of overwhelming. I should take this as a nudge to pick one and roll with it.

I keep trying to convince my wife that while 99% of the stuff on YT is complete crap, that still leaves a massive iceberg of incredibly high-quality content out there, and it's all free. A good ad blocker is a game-changer for this platform.

HIST 119 - course page

Thanks for posting this. I keep meaning to start a course, but there are so many out there that it's kind of overwhelming. I should take this as a nudge to pick one and roll with it.

I keep trying to convince my wife that while 99% of the stuff on YT is complete crap, that still leaves a massive iceberg of incredibly high-quality content out there, and it's all free. A good ad blocker is a game-changer for this platform.

That's a good point. Not sure if Yale monetized this series but at least part of the reason I started it is I'm on a 30-day free trial of premium rn.

I generally have a solid grasp of American history. However, I have a couple glaring holes: pre-1770 and Reconstruction. With the latter, I think it's because there isn't an arc to the story.

Often we couch our history in narrative form, with a familiar rise-fall-redemption populated by a finite number of heroes and villains. The dozen years after the Civil War are a dirge/requiem. There is a blunt force attempt at goodwill thwarted by tragic savagery. The conclusion being an unsatisfactory compromise to settle a disputed election result (1877.) The three Amendments passed during this time cast a long shadow to this day. It's instructive to study the election of 1868. Very reminiscent - though, IMO more severe back then - of the pervasive nastiness and division the country is currently experiencing.

Speaking of holes in base knowledge, at some point I should like to read more about the history of the United States and Native Americans. In particular I need a good book rec for the Trail of Tears. I also have not read enough about the postwar Indian Wars. I've read biographies of individual commanders involved at different points - Fremont, Sheridan, Custer - but it's not something I've looked at as closely as the major wars in our history.

The ACW is almost limitless when it comes to finding a good book. So many different aspects have been covered ad nauseum. Yet it remains a everspring of bubbling knowledge.

Just this week I learned, quite accidentally, that the Confederacy recognized Arizona as a organized incorporated territory. I was aware the Battle of Glorieta Pass resulted in the loss of the New Mexico territory for the rebels, but I somehow glossed over the official claims made in 1861.

John Brown's story is another example of knowing the thumbnail but not the details; I had forgotten Frederick Douglas met with him before the Harper's Ferry Raid, and fled to England via Canada in the aftermath. It seemed likely he would be scooped up with the other co-conspirators had he not taken flight.

I may revive @timschochet 's ACW thread to deposit some knowledge. Yesterday was the 160th anniversary of The Battle of Chickasaw Bayou, one of the seven failures to capture Vicksburg; tomorrow marks the 1862 sinking of the USS Monitor in the Atlantic and The Battle of Stones River in Murfreesboro, TN.

I generally have a solid grasp of American history. However, I have a couple glaring holes: pre-1770 and Reconstruction.
Colonial history is one that I'd especially like to learn more about. Specifically less about who founded what colony on what date, and more about what life was like and these various societies functioned. It's wild to think about people landing on the eastern seaboard in the 16th/17th century with basically nothing and trying to carve out an existence from scratch. Toss in the Indian population and it makes for a compelling story.

Users who are viewing this thread