What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (1 Viewer)

Rainy Sunday in SoCal, so wifey and I decided to give The Wire a shot since the entire first season (12 episodes) are free via HBO On Demand. Finished all of season 1, went to Blockbuster and rented season 2, and got through the first 4 episodes last night.

Hoping to get 4-5 more in tonight, only pausing for the new Housewives of OC at 9pm. :) :no: :( :bag:

The Wire is crack.

Rainy Sunday in SoCal, so wifey and I decided to give The Wire a shot since the entire first season (12 episodes) are free via HBO On Demand. Finished all of season 1, went to Blockbuster and rented season 2, and got through the first 4 episodes last night.Hoping to get 4-5 more in tonight, only pausing for the new Housewives of OC at 9pm. :) :no: :( :bag: The Wire is crack.
Every season I started and finished within 72 hours.

Rainy Sunday in SoCal, so wifey and I decided to give The Wire a shot since the entire first season (12 episodes) are free via HBO On Demand. Finished all of season 1, went to Blockbuster and rented season 2, and got through the first 4 episodes last night.Hoping to get 4-5 more in tonight, only pausing for the new Housewives of OC at 9pm. :unsure: :lmao: :bag: :bag: The Wire is crack.
When I got season 3, I watched nine episodes in one night. :bag:

I used to get mad at the lack of Emmy recognition (especially to get snubbed for "Prison Break"), but "The Wire" is too good for an awards show whose real reason of existence is to validate formulaic television, and the programming Execs who green light series. As much as I love to watch "Entourage", it isn't anywhere near "The Wire". I suppose if Tom Hanks was involved in it somehow, they would have to recognize it.
Well said. I "enjoy" Entourage but they're not even playing the same sport let alone in the same league :thumbup:

Rainy Sunday in SoCal, so wifey and I decided to give The Wire a shot since the entire first season (12 episodes) are free via HBO On Demand. Finished all of season 1, went to Blockbuster and rented season 2, and got through the first 4 episodes last night.Hoping to get 4-5 more in tonight, only pausing for the new Housewives of OC at 9pm. :thumbup: :lmao: :lmao: :bag: The Wire is crack.
When I got season 3, I watched nine episodes in one night. :bag:
I watched the entire first season of The Sopranos over one weekend. I had never seen it, and just rented disc one. That was so good that I went back to the video store and rented all the remaining discs.

Finished the final episode yesterday. Bummed that it's over but what a great show. They really wrapped it up well too. I didn't care much for the serial killer and newspaper storylines of season 5 but it was obviously a great way to bring everything to a close.

I'd rank the seasons: 4(by far) 1,2,3,5.

Rainy Sunday in SoCal, so wifey and I decided to give The Wire a shot since the entire first season (12 episodes) are free via HBO On Demand. Finished all of season 1, went to Blockbuster and rented season 2, and got through the first 4 episodes last night.Hoping to get 4-5 more in tonight, only pausing for the new Housewives of OC at 9pm. :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: The Wire is crack.
Heroin. :bubs:

just a heads up. on HBO they have season 1 on demand but you have just couple of days left I think the 9th is the last day.

and then they are uploading season 2.

just a heads up. on HBO they have season 1 on demand but you have just couple of days left I think the 9th is the last day.and then they are uploading season 2.
Hopefully they also add episode 13 of season 1 when they put up the first few episodes of season 2.

just a heads up. on HBO they have season 1 on demand but you have just couple of days left I think the 9th is the last day.

Hopefully they also add episode 13 of season 1 when they put up the first few episodes of season 2.
they are adding THE WIRE 13: SENTENCING, but that is with the next upload of season 2. is that the same episode your talking about?HBO on demand Schedule

they are adding THE WIRE 13: SENTENCING, but that is with the next upload of season 2. is that the same episode your talking about?HBO on demand Schedule
yep. finally got the wife to watch the wire, went through all 12 episodes, then had to wait about 2/3 weeks to catch the final episode of the season. didn't make sense.

First Rawls, now Lester on the show Damages.
I keep half expecting to see him working on dollhouse furniture in that show.Stringer Bell is going to be on "The Office" for part of the season.
Lester and Rawls both play a couple of bad mofos on that show.
They have a lot of scenes together too.Cutty plays a cyborg submarine captain in the newest episode of Terminator.

Just finished the last season and still in awe of watching all 5 seasons over the last couple months. Wondering how I'm going to adapt back to "regular" TV.

I have a question....

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

In the 2nd to last episode, when Omar is in the morgue, the attendant there notices the nametag on his body bag is wrong. "Omar Little"'s tag is on the older white guy. He chuckles a little and switches them back so they're correct.

I have tried to google and research what that meant and haven't found anything. Was it incorrectly placed on purpose so Omar would always be in the wrong grave? How did the attendant know who Omar Little was? What am I missing?*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Just finished the last season and still in awe of watching all 5 seasons over the last couple months. Wondering how I'm going to adapt back to "regular" TV.

I have a question....

In the 2nd to last episode, when Omar is in the morgue, the attendant there notices the nametag on his body bag is wrong. "Omar Little"'s tag is on the older white guy. He chuckles a little and switches them back so they're correct.

I have tried to google and research what that meant and haven't found anything. Was it incorrectly placed on purpose so Omar would always be in the wrong grave? How did the attendant know who Omar Little was? What am I missing?*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
Showing how he was the man in the street. His name rang out when he was on the block in that world. But in the legit world, nobody knew who he was.

Blurb from Yahoo! and the AP on simon's next project...

David Simon begins work on 'Treme' in New OrleansBy STACEY PLAISANCE, Associated Press Writer Stacey Plaisance, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 9 mins agoNEW ORLEANS – David Simon, creator of the critically acclaimed television shows "The Wire" and "Homicide: Life on the Street" is in New Orleans working on his next project.Named after the Creole neighborhood known for its rich musical history, "Treme" (truh-MAY') is a prospective TV series geared for HBO that aims to capture New Orleans' heritage and traditions as residents struggle to recover from Hurricane Katrina.However, Simon is quick to say it's not just another Katrina project."This is an American story," he said in an interview from outside a jazz club where the hourlong pilot was being filmed Wednesday. "This is about an American city trying to pick itself up and doing it without a great deal of help."To tell the story, Simon abandons almost all the backdrops New Orleans is best known for — the French Quarter and Garden District included — and gets into grittier, lesser-known neighborhoods he says have been "under-chronicled.""We had to get inside New Orleans traditions," he said. "You can't do that from the French Quarter."He said it was important to capture the city's dysfunction as well as its grace."New Orleans is not the most efficient, best-run metropolis in America. It never has been," he said. "But it's a city with an ornate and essential culture and musical tradition that is maybe one of the most original things America ever invented."He said the story should resonate with Americans considering the recent economic downturn. He compared Americans' faith and reliance on the nation's economic structure to New Orleans' faith and reliance in the city's levee system, both of which have proven to be "more fragile than anyone ever assumed.""It's a metaphor for where we are in America right now," he said, standing outside Vaughan's Lounge, a music club near one of the city's hardest-hit neighborhoods, the Lower 9th Ward. He said the pilot would keep the name of the club. He even employed the lounge's regular doorman to play one in the show.Simon said he had been wanting to tell a story in New Orleans for more than a decade before Katrina, which hit in August 2005, but "couldn't find a hook."Much of his "Treme" writing team is from New Orleans. It includes resident Tom Piazza, author of the nonfiction "Why New Orleans Matters" and the novel "City of Refuge," and Lolis Eric Elie, a reporter for The Times-Picayune newspaper. Elie also produced a documentary, "Faubourg Treme: The Untold Story of Black New Orleans," currently airing on public television outlets nationwide.Other writers include George Pelecanos, a crime-novelist and writer for "The Wire," and David Mills, a screenwriter for "Homicide," "NYPD Blue" and "The Wire."Eric Overmyer, who lives in New Orleans and whose TV credits include "St. Elsewhere," "Homicide" and "The Wire," is a friend of Simon's and a co-executive-producer on "Treme."A host of locals also made the cast. New Orleans-born actor Wendell Pierce, who played Detective William "Bunk" Moreland on "The Wire," plays a "Treme" musician, a role he called "a dream come true.""Being from here, I've always wanted to be a musician, but I was always the actor hanging out with the musicians," he said with a laugh on the set, trombone in hand. Between takes, Pierce practiced with Kermit Ruffins, a trumpet player featured in a scene that included a cameo by singer-songwriter Elvis Costello."That happens all the time here," Simon said. "You'll have musicians come from all over to see and hear these guys play. It's just a regular night in New Orleans."Simon also cast New Orleans resident Phyllis Montana LeBlanc, who was featured in Spike Lee's HBO documentary, "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts."The cast includes Steve Zahn from the Tom Hanks movie "That Thing You Do!", Clarke Peters from "The Wire" and Kim Dickens from HBO's "Deadwood."Simon and company have been in New Orleans for several weeks filming. The hope is "Treme" will be picked up by HBO, which has asked to see the pilot and a handful of scripts to judge before going on with a full first season.If picked up, it will be the second time in three years a major television network has put New Orleans and Katrina in the spotlight. Fox's post-Katrina detective drama "K-Ville" aired during the 2007-08 season but was canceled due to low ratings and the disruption of last year's writers strike.

Just finished watching episode 9, season 5, and am downloading the series finale for viewing tonight. Not sure I've ever rooted for a character in any show/movie as much as I'm rooting for Bubs to stay clean.

1 episode left for me, but unless it's the worst episode in TV history, pretty sure this is going down as my favorite show of all time. Blows the Sopranos away, IMO.

tommyGunZ said:
Just finished watching episode 9, season 5, and am downloading the series finale for viewing tonight. Not sure I've ever rooted for a character in any show/movie as much as I'm rooting for Bubs to stay clean.1 episode left for me, but unless it's the worst episode in TV history, pretty sure this is going down as my favorite show of all time. Blows the Sopranos away, IMO.
glad you enjoyed it - I feel the same way . . .

tommyGunZ said:
Just finished watching episode 9, season 5, and am downloading the series finale for viewing tonight. Not sure I've ever rooted for a character in any show/movie as much as I'm rooting for Bubs to stay clean.

1 episode left for me, but unless it's the worst episode in TV history, pretty sure this is going down as my favorite show of all time. Blows the Sopranos away, IMO.
Absolutely. I hate to hear people talk about Lost or The Shield being better than The Wire. I don't think either really come close. The best seasons of The Sopranos dont measure up to it either. The only show I can think of that comes close was Deadwood.

tommyGunZ said:

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("Agreed on all counts. One of the most gripping scenes in the entire series was them flashing to Bubbs hanging from his belt in the holding cell. The other jaw dropper scene was seeing who finally got to Omar.*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();

tommyGunZ said:

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("Agreed on all counts. One of the most gripping scenes in the entire series was them flashing to Bubbs hanging from his belt in the holding cell. The other jaw dropper scene was seeing who finally got to Omar.*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();
Uh, you mean DeAngelo?And the series finale will not disappoint.

I have a question....

Showing how he was the man in the street. His name rang out when he was on the block in that world. But in the legit world, nobody knew who he was.
That was my interpretation as well.

tommyGunZ said:
Just finished watching episode 9, season 5, and am downloading the series finale for viewing tonight. Not sure I've ever rooted for a character in any show/movie as much as I'm rooting for Bubs to stay clean.1 episode left for me, but unless it's the worst episode in TV history, pretty sure this is going down as my favorite show of all time. Blows the Sopranos away, IMO.
You are about to see the best series finale in tv history. Enjoy.

I have a question....

That was my interpretation as well.
Yeah... I'll third that.

tommyGunZ said:
As much as I love The Wire and will defend it as being >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than any other show in the history of television.... Six feet Under had the greatest series finale of all time. Gotta give it up to them. They closed it out excellent.

tommyGunZ said:
As much as I love The Wire and will defend it as being >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than any other show in the history of television.... Six feet Under had the greatest series finale of all time. Gotta give it up to them. They closed it out excellent.
I did not like that show. I gave up on it after one season. IMHO The Wire was as perfect a finale as you will ever see.

tommyGunZ said:
I did not like that show. I gave up on it after one season. IMHO The Wire was as perfect a finale as you will ever see.
Six feet under got better as the series went on. It hit a low point in the middle, but it bounced back and finished really strong. Again... The Wire finale was great, but SFU's is the goat imo.

tommyGunZ said:
I've had a lot of down time recently as I go through chemo... I've re-watched all 5 seasons of The Wire, and we're going back through on Season 1 of The Sopranos. As much as I've always loved The Sopranos and as great as the first season was, the difference in quality is amazing IMO when you watch them side-by-side.

tommyGunZ said:
I've had a lot of down time recently as I go through chemo... I've re-watched all 5 seasons of The Wire, and we're going back through on Season 1 of The Sopranos. As much as I've always loved The Sopranos and as great as the first season was, the difference in quality is amazing IMO when you watch them side-by-side.
:goodposting: The only downside of watching the Wire, was that it took away a little of the enjoyment from any other show that I was watching at the time.

tommyGunZ said:

:goodposting: The only downside of watching the Wire, was that it took away a little of the enjoyment from any other show that I was watching at the time.
great, great post . . .I concur . . .

Stuff White People Like - The Wire

:popcorn: :pickle:

If you need to impress a white person, tell them you are from Baltimore. They will immediately ask you about The Wire and how accurate it is. You should confirm that it is “like a documentary of the streets,” the white person will then slowly shake their head and say “man” or “wow.” You will be seen in an entirely new light.

Funny #### right there...

But us brothers like it too. :popcorn:

Stuff White People Like - The Wire

:pickle: :banned:

If you need to impress a white person, tell them you are from Baltimore. They will immediately ask you about The Wire and how accurate it is. You should confirm that it is “like a documentary of the streets,” the white person will then slowly shake their head and say “man” or “wow.” You will be seen in an entirely new light.

tommyGunZ said:
I love the first two seasons of The Sopranos as much as any show in history. But one thing The Wire has over most TV series is it was good for the entire run. The Sopranos really limped along for the last two seasons.

tommyGunZ said:

I must have watched that final musical montage 10 times.

tommyGunZ said:

Absolutely. I hate to hear people talk about Lost or The Shield being better than The Wire. I don't think either really come close. The best seasons of The Sopranos dont measure up to it either. The only show I can think of that comes close was Deadwood.
As much as I absolutely love The Wire, I'm still saying that The Shield was better. We're talking 1 and 1a, but don't disparage The Shield or else we'll have words. :blackdot: The Sopranos doesn't even sniff the sweaty ballsack of either of those shows.

tommyGunZ said:
:blackdot: The only downside of watching the Wire, was that it took away a little of the enjoyment from any other show that I was watching at the time.
Great friggin' posting.

tommyGunZ said:

As much as I absolutely love The Wire, I'm still saying that The Shield was better. We're talking 1 and 1a, but don't disparage The Shield or else we'll have words. :angry: The Sopranos doesn't even sniff the sweaty ballsack of either of those shows.
:goodposting:

Just started this series. I have season 1 dvd. If anyone wants to rent out 2-5 to me for a period of a few months in exchange for cash, beer, or other durable goods shoot me a PM.

I haven't seen The Shield. But The Wire, Lost, and Deadwood are my top three. I can't give my final ranking until Lost is finished.

culdeus said:
Just started this series. I have season 1 dvd. If anyone wants to rent out 2-5 to me for a period of a few months in exchange for cash, beer, or other durable goods shoot me a PM.
you could just DL them from mininova.org. That's what I did until the complete series came out on DVD.

I tried Deadwood for over a season and enjoyed it, but I thought the profanity was so all encompassing that it got annoying. Way too over the top.

Finishing off season three of The Shield and very impressed, although it's a bit over the top too. Good stuff though, but not quite as good as The Wire.

Not sure where I'll go next. Maybe Battlestar?

Users who are viewing this thread