What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A word of warning to Tony Gonzalez owners... (1 Viewer)

Just a reminder that Touchdown Tony G struggles mightily against the Denver Broncos, the best team in the league at defending TEs. Here are the results from Tony's last 4 games against Denver (since Bailey came to town, since Bailey is traditionally responsible for Gonzalez).1/25/15/29/03/44/02/17/0Remember that the bottom 2 games came in Gonzo's 102/1254/7 season (meaning he averaged 2.5/31/0 against Denver and 7/85/.5 against everyone else).I'm not saying that Gonzo's going to suck this week by any stretch of the imagination... I just figured I'd remind everyone what he's up against. I wouldn't bench him for a Wiggins or a Stephen Alexander here, but he's probably going to be riding the pine in favor of Ben Watson in one of my leagues.
I'm playing Gonzo every game this year until hurt no choice only got 1 TE (yes playing gonzo on his bye week too..rather take a zero then pickup a possiblity TE if he scores..and lose a good player for that pickup))..If you don't have one of these two..odds are flip a coin this season with TE's..have Gates or Winslow then your in good shape. Green is not out for the year so..As for week 2 Gonzo is the closest receiver since the QB sucks week 2 ;)

Gonzalez' likely-lame duck week will have more to do with Damon Huard than Gonzalez, Bailey, Herm Edwards or anyone else.

Gonzalez' likely-lame duck week will have more to do with Damon Huard than Gonzalez, Bailey, Herm Edwards or anyone else.
Disagreed. If anything, I think Huard actually BOOSTS Gonzo's value. He had a serious case of tunnel-vision for Gonzo last week. If it weren't for Huard, I wouldn't hesitate for a second benching Gonzo in favor of guys like Witten or Watson, but with Huard in there, I'm seriously waffling on the decision.

People expecting a repeat-performance are in for a letdown.

Huard will look to Gonzalez a fair amount, along with Johnson out of the backfield, but he won't connect with him (for) an awful lot. He's a sub-60% completion rate passer and that won't change in less than 24 hours.

Prediction? 60 yards at best. The only way I see Gonzalez as a reasonable play is if you're in a PPR league. In that scenario, Gonzalez may be worthy as a last resort because he might catch as many as 7 or 8 balls (even though it'll be short stuff).

Last edited by a moderator:
Obligatory self-serving bump. :hophead:
:thumbdown:
Oh, come on, everyone else is allowed to pat themselves on the back when they're right, but I'm not?
You weren't right. The Chiefs had no passing offense because they had Damon Huard at QB; not surprisingly, their receivers didn't get score a lot of fantasy points (led by LJ with 41 yards, and Kennison with 39). That's not any indication that Denver is mystically good at defending TEs, it's just a poor passing game and a small sample size.

Oh, come on, everyone else is allowed to pat themselves on the back when they're right, but I'm not?
You weren't right. The Chiefs had no passing offense because they had Damon Huard at QB; not surprisingly, their receivers didn't get score a lot of fantasy points (led by LJ with 41 yards, and Kennison with 39). That's not any indication that Denver is mystically good at defending TEs, it's just a poor passing game and a small sample size.
The man said Gonzo would have a bad week. Gonzo had a bad week. Give the man his props even if you think his prediction was lucky and/or irrelevant. Next, pull the stick out of your ###. You a Chiefs fan?

Obligatory self-serving bump.

:hophead:
Just a reminder that Touchdown Tony G struggles mightily against the Denver Broncos
I think he was right.I benched Gonzo for Whitten.

GOOD JOB SSOG

Just a reminder that Touchdown Tony G struggles mightily against the Denver Broncos

GOOD JOB SSOG
This isn't just about 1 game.. As long as the offensiveline is strugling Tony G will have to block more hence lowering his numbers.. It happened last year and I think Tony will not be a top 10 TE this year as long as he blocks..

GOOD JOB SSOG
This isn't just about 1 game.. As long as the offensiveline is strugling Tony G will have to block more hence lowering his numbers.. It happened last year and I think Tony will not be a top 10 TE this year as long as he blocks..
As far as the thread was concerned, it was about 1 game.I agree, Gonzo will suffer this year, due to a multitude of problems.

-Herm as the coach

-Bad O-line

-If Green misses any more time

etc

I would be hard pressed to say he won't finish in the top 10 though.

I don't know why more people just can't say "good job SSOG"

The guy put his neck on the table IMO, after Gonzo's had a HUGE game.

It's not easy to come here and say (and be correct) that you should consider benching the best TE in the NFL over the last decade, who just came off a moster game.

As far as Huard being the QB, people were saying how he LOCKED onto Gonzo.

Possibly making him even more of a primary target.

Good call SSOG. I was surprised at how infrequently Huard threw to Gonzalez (did he have more than 4 targets?) but your call was on the mark. Gonzo will have better days ahead in my opinion - even with Huard at QB - but the next time the Chiefs play the Broncos it would be smart to sit him if you have a decent alternative.

No self-serving bump on the "Michael Turner in your starting lineup?" thread... :P I really like your posts - there is always a reason behind them...Sometimes we are right - sometimes we are wrong... we can only hope that we are right most of the time... Please don't become the second coming of LHUCKS ;)

Um, he provided proof that Denver usually shuts down Gonzalez, so his poor game yesterday was not some statistical anomaly.

Thank you SSOG - being located in KC, I sometimes wear my blinders to the home team - your posting about Tony G, reinforced with statistics, gave me what I needed to bench TG.

I appreciate your contributions to the site, and kep up the good work!

Regards

dal

SSOG, no need to bump this post yourself. Those that appreciate the insight will do this when it is due.

Nice call BTW.

pizza-

Users who are viewing this thread