What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are NFL QBs not protected enough? (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
This QB seems to think that's the case:

"Standing back there, we can't defend ourselves. You're standing there holding the ball. It's not like you have time to shed blocks or anything. You're standing there, like a mannequin, so I don't think they're protecting us too much. There are plenty of calls this year where I thought they should have thrown more flags, [when] I was probably pretty [ticked] off to the ref about [a flag] he didn't throw.

Probably about right. There are two positions in football where you are essentially defenseless, because you have to concentrate totally on what you are doing, and you are in a vulnerable position to a devastating tackle.

The first is the QB, who must plant his foot as the throws the ball to have force behind the throw. The second is a WR, who has to extend his arms and sometimes jump to make a reception. Both of them are vulnerable, and the NFL does what it can to protect them. Perhaps a little less so in the case of the WR, but there isn't much they can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they are overprotected now that EVERY questionable call goes the QB's way.

Case in point: Vince Wilfork was knocked to the ground in Miami last week. He was facing away from the QB, the QB backed up and tripped over his helmet. Flag: Wilfork 15 yds with the ref standing right there.

Time and time again I've seen these. They are getting as rediculous as the pass interference calls.

I understand the premise, but these refs need to use a little common sense as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
What bothers me is the "blow to the head" call. More times than not, it is an accidental, glancing hit as a defender is going for the ball. It's not like Jack Lambert (or whoever it was) with steel rods inside of a forearm cast.

I happen to think that QBs are way overprotected. At this point you might as well just get rid of the QB sack if all we really want to do is protect the QB. Change the rules so that QBs may no longer cross the line of scrimmage and linemen may no longer tackle the QB. Or just make it two hand touch against the QB.

Oh, and the QB that made the statement? Tom Brady.

I thought about attributing the statement to Peyton Manning and waiting for the inevitable attacks, only to reveal that it was Brady that made the statement, but decided to keep the bait in the pail.

Yesterday in the Buffalo-Miami game there was a play in the 1st quarter where Losman was flushed from the pocket and scrambled. He was tackled and was clearly down, but he got up and kept running and fighting for extra yardage. When a Miami defender tackled him again, it drew a 15 yard roughness penalty. It was funny because it benefited my team, but that's obviously overdoing it.

"Standing back there, we can't defend ourselves. You're standing there holding the ball. It's not like you have time to shed blocks or anything. You're standing there, like a mannequin, so I don't think they're protecting us too much. There are plenty of calls this year where I thought they should have thrown more flags, [when] I was probably pretty [ticked] off to the ref about [a flag] he didn't throw. Also, my coach has man-boobs.
Fixed.

IvanKaramazov said:

"Standing back there, we can't defend ourselves. You're standing there holding the ball. It's not like you have time to shed blocks or anything. You're standing there, like a mannequin, so I don't think they're protecting us too much. There are plenty of calls this year where I thought they should have thrown more flags, [when] I was probably pretty [ticked] off to the ref about [a flag] he didn't throw. Also, my coach has man-boobs and dresses like a homeless man.
Fixed.
Fixed again.

Ozymandias said:
Probably about right. There are two positions in football where you are essentially defenseless, because you have to concentrate totally on what you are doing, and you are in a vulnerable position to a devastating tackle. The first is the QB, who must plant his foot as the throws the ball to have force behind the throw. The second is a WR, who has to extend his arms and sometimes jump to make a reception. Both of them are vulnerable, and the NFL does what it can to protect them. Perhaps a little less so in the case of the WR, but there isn't much they can do.
Punter

Users who are viewing this thread