What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prime Rib Christmas Supper (1 Viewer)

I was pretty happy with the New York Beef Loin roast we did. About half the price of a prime rib and nearly as good if you do it right, IMO.

Made caramelized onion, provolone and prime rib omelets for breakfast this morning in the wake of all of the leftovers.

For dinner last night, I had left over roast cold, sliced thin on chunks of baguette smeared with Roquefort.

God, that was good.

I thought my mother was the last person alive who still says supper. Seems it's been reappropriated by big girls on facebook telling everybody every time they go stand up on a Sailfish.

I just changed gears. I found the McClure's seasoning I got for ordering a shirt. I added 1/4 cup of pepper and 1/4 cup of salt, oiled up the meat and rubbed it with the spice mix. It's on the grill now.

:keepingfingerscrossed:
Fan freaking tastic. Came out great! McClure's rub was outstanding.

The cool thing was I used the drippings to make gravy, and I guess it was the spice in the McClure's mix, but the gravy turned out to have a nice spice to it.

I just changed gears. I found the McClure's seasoning I got for ordering a shirt. I added 1/4 cup of pepper and 1/4 cup of salt, oiled up the meat and rubbed it with the spice mix. It's on the grill now.

:keepingfingerscrossed:
Fan freaking tastic. Came out great! McClure's rub was outstanding.

The cool thing was I used the drippings to make gravy, and I guess it was the spice in the McClure's mix, but the gravy turned out to have a nice spice to it.
gotta do yorkshire pudding also to go with the gravy

Up. I need to feed 20 this time. Thinking of doing two 5 rib loin end roasts. Anyone cook this much at once? Any gotchas? Am I basing cook time on one of the roasts weight or both combined?

Up. I need to feed 20 this time. Thinking of doing two 5 rib loin end roasts. Anyone cook this much at once? Any gotchas? Am I basing cook time on one of the roasts weight or both combined?
base on the individual roasts

Wound up doing three 7ish pounders (3 ribs) last night. Served twenty people. Nailed it. Amazing how easy it is and what a rock star you come off as. Mixed McCormick Montreal steak seasoning with fresh rosemary and thyme for the rub. Pulled 'em at 121. Let them rise to 130. Perfection.

I am doing a porchetta this year. I love this stuff in italy and it's real easy to make.

basically, butterfly open a pork shoulder/butt. make the rub/paste with garlic, sage, fennel, rosemary, salt, pepper, evoo and a little lemon rind. rub on and roll, roast at 350 for 5 hours.

Family tradition: Filet and Crab legs.
BAM!!

Same as ours - or close, we would switch between king crab legs and lobster tails sometimes. And had big shrimp cocktail before as well.

Same for Thanksgiving, we had chicken, gravy and mashed potatoes at least a couple of times a week and you always put gravy on your bread so the whole turkey/gravy thing wasn't special at all.

Mr. Ected said:
prime rib + king crab

crab bisque crab asparagus yada yada
VA, where are you going to get yours? Costco? Wegmans?
the king crab from Costco

not sure about the prime rib my dad will be getting all that.

he sometimes gets stuff from restaurant depot in Alexandria they have nice cuts and good prices

Wound up doing three 7ish pounders (3 ribs) last night. Served twenty people. Nailed it. Amazing how easy it is and what a rock star you come off as. Mixed McCormick Montreal steak seasoning with fresh rosemary and thyme for the rub. Pulled 'em at 121. Let them rise to 130. Perfection.
Grill or oven? Temp? Time?

It is at the Smith's here for $7.99/lb, but we should see a little drop any day now to $6-7/lb. Tried one this past weekend in my new Big Easy SRG, but temps did not work out well, ended up getting too done. Ready for round 2.

Pros/cons of going with a boneless rib roast rather than bone-in?
Most chefs swear by bone-in, not just with prime rib, but virtually any cut of meat. Additional moisture and flavor being the primary reasons. I don't really see the advantage to boneless unless you don't want to carve around the bones.

The prime rib basically falls out of the bones anyway, due to how it is butchered and then cooks. :shrug:

The prime rib basically falls out of the bones anyway, due to how it is butchered and then cooks. :shrug:
The other thing to try is to bone it before cooking, and then tie the roast back together, that way you get the positive properties of the bones, and then have an easy to carve roast when you are done.

I don't think the bone in does anything unless you capture the juice runoff in a pan and use for gravy. There simply isn't a way for bones to impact the flavor of meat during roasting.

You would be better using the bones for a soup/sauce.

I'd skip the bones altogether as you pay alot for them.

imo

Ok, my wife plans to make a prime rib for christmas. Her brother just freaked out that turkey is the tradition blah blah blah. So we need it to come out awesome.

This is a long thread. Was there an agreed upon good recipe we can use.

Tia

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but what are people's lists of side dishes?
Twice baked mashed potatoes

Chipotle sweet potatoes that are to die for

Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, mushrooms & shallots in a sherry cream sauce

Oysters rockafeller

Homemade rolls

That's our menu anyway.

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but what are people's lists of side dishes?

Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, mushrooms & shallots in a sherry cream sauce

Oysters rockafeller

Homemade rolls

That's our menu anyway.
Looks good! Got a recipe for the Brussels Sprouts? Those sound delicious!

Trying to figure out how to do roasted potatoes and Brussels Sprouts in the time that the roast is resting.

sounds interesting , whats the deal with these?
Super easy to make and absolutely delicious. Just the right touch of heat & sweet:

Chipotle sweet potatoes (read: the best damn side dish you’ll ever have)

• 4 TBSP unsalted butter cut into 4 pieces
  • 3 TBSP heavy cream
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp table salt
  • 2 lbs garnet yams (these are the reddish colored ‘sweet potatoes’) peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch-thick slices
  • 1 chipotle pepper per pound of sweet potatoes
  • Ground black pepper

****Note: I use a dutch oven to cook mine, but a good sized pot that heats evenly will work****

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat (that’s 2 on a scale of 1-10). Stir in 2 TBSP of the cream, sugar, and salt; add the sweet potatoes and cook covered, stirring occasionally until the potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork, 35 to 40 minutes. Off the heat, mash the sweet potatoes in the saucepan with a potato masher & while doing so, add the last TBSP of heavy cream. Enjoy.

Oh, btw, the recipe scales well, but the cooking time doubles for a double recipe, etc. Just don’t rush them and keep them on low and you’ll be rewarded.

Oysters rockafeller

Homemade rolls

That's our menu anyway.
Looks good! Got a recipe for the Brussels Sprouts? Those sound delicious!

Trying to figure out how to do roasted potatoes and Brussels Sprouts in the time that the roast is resting.
Brussel Sprouts w/ bacon, mushrooms, & shallots in a sherry cream sauce:

2lbs Brussel Sprouts
6 rashers bacon
2 shallots, sliced
15 (or more) good size cremini mushrooms, quartered
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup sherry (NOT COOKING SHERRY!)
1 cup heavy cream
olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven 475 degrees.

Fry up (or bake) the bacon in a deep skillet. Then chop up the bacon into small strips and set aside. Into the bacon fat, toss in the shallots & mushrooms, over medium heat until shallots turn translucent & mushrooms take on a little color and shrink down, about 5-10 mins. Toss in the garlic and cook for another minute. Then, OFF THE HEAT, pour in the sherry & heavy cream. Put back on the heat and simmer until reduced by half.

Meanwhile, clean & halve the brussel sprouts. Toss them w/ the oil, salt & pepper. Place brussel sprouts on baking sheet and roasted them about 15-20 mins until browned and delicious. As soon as the brussel sprouts are roasted, take them from the oven and put them into the mixture you've reduced on the stove. Toss/stir to coat, taste for seasoning and adjust w/ salt & pepper as needed.

Serve and enjoy! :)

Users who are viewing this thread