What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prime Rib Christmas Supper (2 Viewers)

Wingnut said:
Just follow the directions, when you cut a piece for the clueless members of your family that like it more cooked, dip their piece in the pan of hot au jus you have on the stove for 30 seconds or so, or just pop it in the oven (heated to 350) on a cookie sheet until desired doneness. Win-win.

*Thats how we did medium to well done prime rib when I worked in a restaurant. We'd cook the rib roast rare to med rare, and when someone ordered it more done, we'd finish it to desired temp after its cut (dip in the jus for medium, and in the oven for wed well to well).
Excellent idea, thanks!  

Any other suggestions for some "different" sides?
I do a glazed carrots that my family likes, peel and mandolin slice carrots, is a skillet cook over medium heat along with peeled and finely diced cranny smith apples. glaze consist of apple juice, brown sugar, maple syrup, caramel, cinnamon sticks, black pepper and nutmeg, cook till soft, remove the cinnamon sticks and serve

Is this method still the winner for grilling?  I'll be hosting my first prime rib christmas dinner this year.  Will be cooking on a BGE (knockoff).  
I prefer to do a wet rub with EVO, Worcestershire, black pepper, white pepper, rosemary and Mexican chili powder

Prime rib is a bit different than tenderloin in that the fat content is higher, spices are fat soluble but need sufficent time to travel.  You are better off with an injection if short on time.  Otherwise you should plan on 2-3 days and up to 5 if you want to douse the rib in a ton of stuff that isn't salt.  

Because of the fat content and the direct cooking methods most will end up using the flavors in the rubs are unlikely to come thru except in the outer ring of fat which few will eat (assuming just rubbed on).  It might make for a better visual presentation, however.  If really wanting to up the visual appearance use some sugar.  

I'm doing my first prime rib this year and am looking to sous vide it.  Anyone have luck with that?  It's a standing roast ,about 8 lbs.

Prime rib is a bit different than tenderloin in that the fat content is higher, spices are fat soluble but need sufficent time to travel.  You are better off with an injection if short on time.  Otherwise you should plan on 2-3 days and up to 5 if you want to douse the rib in a ton of stuff that isn't salt.  

Because of the fat content and the direct cooking methods most will end up using the flavors in the rubs are unlikely to come thru except in the outer ring of fat which few will eat (assuming just rubbed on).  It might make for a better visual presentation, however.  If really wanting to up the visual appearance use some sugar.  
Don't feel like it needs much on it other than some salt and pepper. You're already paying for the flavor. 

Never done it, but you want to sear it afterwards to get the crispy outside. Look at the Reverse Sear Method, just replace the Sous Vide for the initial oven cooking
Thanks.  I had a video showing someone do this.  I would sous vide it for about 6-8 hours, then put rub on it, and into a 500 degree oven.  The guy suggested using egg whites to coat the steak and make the rub stick, as well as to form a crust.  That was new to me...anyone in here do such a thing to their meat before?

I sous vide other meats and get a good crust on them by direct contact with a blazing hot cast iron sklilet...but with such a big piece of meat, that is unlikely to create the crust I want...so I'm curious if others have done this method and if so, what did they do to create a good crust.  

It may be that I'm taking a non-traditional path to cooking a very traditional meal.

Any other suggestions for some "different" sides?
I highly recommend this very simple Sweet Potato/Carrot Puree which is just flat out awesome from the classic 1980s cookbook Silver Palate  - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/sweet-potato-and-carrot-puree-50039264

It is very simple and easy.  If unable to find Creme Fraiche you can just use sour cream.

Also, these potatoes are obscene but awesome - http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/creamy-potatoes-with-bacon

I do a beef tenderloin with a bordelaise sauce (replacing butter for the beef marrow for ease) with two sides above and then just simple green beans as my last side.  

Last edited by a moderator:
No definitely not 
Ok, so will cook them together at the 6-pound calculation. Another question: to get it closer to the medium side of medium-rare, I assume leave it in the oven longer (and not roast it longer at 500 degrees?) 

adonis said:
I'm doing my first prime rib this year and am looking to sous vide it.  Anyone have luck with that?  It's a standing roast ,about 8 lbs.
This is a bold move.   I would try it out personally before making it the centerpiece of a holiday meal.  Intrigued on how it would turn out.  Roasting or smoking a prime rib just turns out perfect.  What's the benefit of sous vide in this situation?

Doing two 6 lb prime rib roasts already seasoned.   Quick question(to avoid 18 pages of reading) :   Somehow get the internal temp to 120, let rest for 1/2 hour or so?   correcto?  Also just put meat thermometors in so point is in approx. the center of meat & not bone?

thanks gents.   This is very helpful & maybe have more time to delve into it on Saturday morning, but that is when I cook.    Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I'm doing the collard greens.   easy recipe.

adonis said:
This is a bold move.   I would try it out personally before making it the centerpiece of a holiday meal.  Intrigued on how it would turn out.  Roasting or smoking a prime rib just turns out perfect.  What's the benefit of sous vide in this situation?
Perfectly done from end to end without much risk or stress.  Vacuum seal, set water temp and timer, and go about my business. Then figure out how to get a crust and I'm done.  

Doing prime rib via roasting, I'd be more concerned about over or under cooking it, although a crust would be much easier to achieve.

It's currently vaccuum sealed and in the freezer waiting to be thawed so I haven't yet 100% confirmed Sous vide, but it's the most likely option at this point.

What equipment you got Adonis 
The bluetooth Anova.  I mean, I could also roast it in the oven, gas grill, or weber smokey mountain bullet - but with this being the first time I figured I'd go with what's most consistent for meat - sous vide, for me at least.  Grilling would be second most consistent, and I roast meat almost never, hence the hesitation.

The bluetooth Anova.  I mean, I could also roast it in the oven, gas grill, or weber smokey mountain bullet - but with this being the first time I figured I'd go with what's most consistent for meat - sous vide, for me at least.  Grilling would be second most consistent, and I roast meat almost never, hence the hesitation.
Go for it. Why not?  

proninja said:
Really? Sous Vide seems like by far the safest way to go. No chance of over or undercooking. No worry about timing, it can be done whenever you want it. It may or may not produce the best roast, but it definitely isn't risky. 
I'm eating less meat these days, but when I do I want it glorious.  If the object is just being safe with over or under cooking that's easy. If you have a thermapen or better yet a Maverick dual probe with remote you are gold.  While I cook a lot of steaks etc by sense of time and feel/touch now (Alton Brown, 2 minute sear in cast iron, oven at 500 degrees for 6-8 minutes, longer for really thick cuts, let it rest) I always use a thermometer for bigger cuts of meat.  Prime Rib, Pork Shoulder, Racks of Lamb, etc.  It's too simple. 

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-Thermometer-Original-Temperature/dp/B00ANCQELE

You get an alarm at whatever temperature you want.  You allow for the rest and the internal temp to rise.  You get either the smoke and crust if on the smoker, or even in the oven (I love roasting) you get the crust, the fat doing it's thing, drippings from the seasoning (I love Lindberg Snider Porterhouse seasoning so I bet this would be awesome)

https://www.amazon.com/Sniders-Prime-Rib-Roast/dp/B00A93ZHQK/ref=pd_sim_325_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GZM9YYC0M76NDHZGWRG6

Not knocking what I don't know, but hard for me to see the benefits of boiling a great, expensive piece of meat that's a holiday centerpiece in a bag over this.  But please report back.  It's a technique I'd like to learn.  I've seen it on the food network done for fish, etc.

proninja said:
:lmao:

You got salty in a hurry. I have a thermapen, thanks. I have a thermopop. I have a maverick dual probe. I have a dual probe for my BGE. I have a different dual probe. My Traeger has a thermometer probe. My oven has a thermometer probe. I promise you I'm familiar with temperature control and how to cook a roast. 

You say that you aren't knocking what you don't know, and then you describe Sous Vide as boiling, which is pretty much the definition of knocking and describes a level of ignorance that most certainly shows that you don't know what you're talking about. It is a style of cooking that Thomas Keller liked so much he wrote a book about it. But, you know, I'm sure he should just buy a thermometer and maybe cook a little bit more so he can get a sense of time and feel/touch like you. 
@Judge Smails's post was neither salty nor disrespectful.  The problem isn't him it's you.  We get it, everything you do is professional grade and nothing less is acceptable.  Congratulation for being you.  :thumbdown:

Alright, I just purchased a monster rib roast, 7 bone - 22+ pounds, for Christmas dinner.  I was thinking of trying the high heat/shut the oven off technique.  I have done that for smaller/other cuts of roasts with some success in the past.  But no way I am putting this beast into a 500 degree oven for 110 minutes as the math would suggest.  How should I adjust for such a large roast?  Should I cut it into smaller sections?  Just cut the time in half?  I don't know why I came up with half, but it seems to sear that thing for for any longer than 45-50 min would be torturous, even if it is big.  Maybe I should abandon this technique and just go low and slow for several hours...

Advice from the experts?

It will be interesting to hear from those that have cooked that big a roast.  I have not, but just thinking about it, I would think I'd top out at maybe a half hour of the high heat to get the sear and then go low and slow to a probe temp.  115-120?

Alright, I just purchased a monster rib roast, 7 bone - 22+ pounds, for Christmas dinner.  I was thinking of trying the high heat/shut the oven off technique.  I have done that for smaller/other cuts of roasts with some success in the past.  But no way I am putting this beast into a 500 degree oven for 110 minutes as the math would suggest.  How should I adjust for such a large roast?  Should I cut it into smaller sections?  Just cut the time in half?  I don't know why I came up with half, but it seems to sear that thing for for any longer than 45-50 min would be torturous, even if it is big.  Maybe I should abandon this technique and just go low and slow for several hours...

Advice from the experts?
I'd listen to your instincts and not do the perfect method with that Flinstone's cut.  There are plenty of other methods that will produce excellent results including the one @coyote5 mentioned above. 

Not having any luck finding the sear in the oven then put on the grill method.  Somebody help a brother out, I think its in here somewhere. And is there a au jus recipe in here? TIA.

Heading out to Costco in the morning and will definitely check these out. This may be my New Years Eve dinner. 

?

Heading out to Costco in the morning and will definitely check these out. This may be my New Years Eve dinner. 

?
Don't buy it now for NYE unless you are going to freeze it or dry age it. Too long. I had a butcher last weekend tell me to wait for one for Christmas day.

Users who are viewing this thread