What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (2 Viewers)

Sorry at work so it's a little quick.

If I use the place setter I put that on top of the coals but under the grill plate. In the grooves that are there. Hopefully that makes sense. Then I lay the meat on the grill plate, always fat side up.

Since that wasn't working I used an aluminum foil pan this weekend and sat the meat in there to start. Did not cover at first and it was going great. Even looked like the brisket was giving off some juices that it was cooking with in the pan. An hour later I went out there to tent and the bottom was stuck. Did not use the plate setter for this particular cook. Temp was at 220 the whole time. Burned the bottom after about 2 hours.

Thanks for any replies. You guys are great.
Charlie: So, lieutenant, where exactly were you?
Maverick: Well, we...
Goose: Thank you.
Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

If I use the place setter I put that on top of the coals but under the grill plate. In the grooves that are there. Hopefully that makes sense. Then I lay the meat on the grill plate, always fat side up. .
Are you putting in the plate setter feet down, or feet up?

For indirect cooking, place the plate setter in Egg feet side up and then place grid on feet.

http://www.biggreeneggic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/indirect.jpg

If you put the fat cap down, it acts as a natural heat shield.

Premier said:
Let me ask because I have encountered this a lot. When I smoke I keep it at 225-250, and usually use the plate deflector thing or put it in a giant foil tin, but I still end up with this inedible black bottom to the meat. It's not bark, it's almost like a tar and it then has to be cut off.

The meat is juicy and cooked well, but this black part is making me think I am overcoming or overheating. But I've always smoked at 225 for a certain time.

Am I putting too much sugar in my rub? Or is just too much heat getting to it? It's only on the bottom of the meat.
My guess is too much sugar in the rub and too much rub on the meat. I used to make the same mistake.

Premier said:
Let me ask because I have encountered this a lot. When I smoke I keep it at 225-250, and usually use the plate deflector thing or put it in a giant foil tin, but I still end up with this inedible black bottom to the meat. It's not bark, it's almost like a tar and it then has to be cut off.

The meat is juicy and cooked well, but this black part is making me think I am overcoming or overheating. But I've always smoked at 225 for a certain time.

Am I putting too much sugar in my rub? Or is just too much heat getting to it? It's only on the bottom of the meat.
My guess is too much sugar in the rub and too much rub on the meat. I used to make the same mistake.
I always read that sugar should not burn if using indirect methods correctly. Sugar is needed to help form the bark.

Sugar on direct heat is the perfect recipe for tar.

culdeus said:
Premier said:

If I use the place setter I put that on top of the coals but under the grill plate. In the grooves that are there. Hopefully that makes sense. Then I lay the meat on the grill plate, always fat side up.

Since that wasn't working I used an aluminum foil pan this weekend and sat the meat in there to start. Did not cover at first and it was going great. Even looked like the brisket was giving off some juices that it was cooking with in the pan. An hour later I went out there to tent and the bottom was stuck. Did not use the plate setter for this particular cook. Temp was at 220 the whole time. Burned the bottom after about 2 hours.

Thanks for any replies. You guys are great.
Charlie: So, lieutenant, where exactly were you?

Maverick: Well, we...

Goose: Thank you.

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.

Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?

Maverick: Because I was inverted.
:whoosh:

I only smoke fat side up.

NewlyRetired said:
Premier said:

If I use the place setter I put that on top of the coals but under the grill plate. In the grooves that are there. Hopefully that makes sense. Then I lay the meat on the grill plate, always fat side up. .
Are you putting in the plate setter feet down, or feet up?For indirect cooking, place the plate setter in Egg feet side up and then place grid on feet.

http://www.biggreeneggic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/indirect.jpg

Hmm. I'll try fat side down next time. I don't think I settled on a way to use plate setter. Didn't think it mattered.

Tre > that could be. Didn't consider that. I'll pick up a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
culdeus said:
Premier said:
Sorry at work so it's a little quick.If I use the place setter I put that on top of the coals but under the grill plate. In the grooves that are there. Hopefully that makes sense. Then I lay the meat on the grill plate, always fat side up.Since that wasn't working I used an aluminum foil pan this weekend and sat the meat in there to start. Did not cover at first and it was going great. Even looked like the brisket was giving off some juices that it was cooking with in the pan. An hour later I went out there to tent and the bottom was stuck. Did not use the plate setter for this particular cook. Temp was at 220 the whole time. Burned the bottom after about 2 hours.Thanks for any replies. You guys are great.
Charlie: So, lieutenant, where exactly were you?Maverick: Well, we...Goose: Thank you.Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?Maverick: Because I was inverted.
:whoosh:I only smoke fat side up.
He was saying you have it upside down. If you cook fat side down, it can act as a temp shield.

culdeus said:
Premier said:
Sorry at work so it's a little quick.If I use the place setter I put that on top of the coals but under the grill plate. In the grooves that are there. Hopefully that makes sense. Then I lay the meat on the grill plate, always fat side up.Since that wasn't working I used an aluminum foil pan this weekend and sat the meat in there to start. Did not cover at first and it was going great. Even looked like the brisket was giving off some juices that it was cooking with in the pan. An hour later I went out there to tent and the bottom was stuck. Did not use the plate setter for this particular cook. Temp was at 220 the whole time. Burned the bottom after about 2 hours.Thanks for any replies. You guys are great.
Charlie: So, lieutenant, where exactly were you?Maverick: Well, we...Goose: Thank you.Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?Maverick: Because I was inverted.
He was saying you have it upside down. If you cook fat side down, it can act as a temp shield.
Interesting. Never done that before, on any smoker. I would think that fat would turn quick though and on brisket I like a little bit of tasty fat cap on the top.

NewlyRetired said:
Premier said:

Are you putting in the plate setter feet down, or feet up?For indirect cooking, place the plate setter in Egg feet side up and then place grid on feet. http://www.biggreeneggic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/indirect.jpg

Hmm. I'll try fat side down next time. I don't think I settled on a way to use plate setter. Didn't think it mattered.

Tre > that could be. Didn't consider that. I'll pick up a new one.
It does matter. Do it feet side up

Don't just buy a new thermometer. Test yours and adjust it.

To test do the following

1) remove thermometer from Egg

2) put in boiling water

3) see if it reads 212

4) if not, turn the little hex screw under the thermometer until it reads 212

Do this once a year at least.

culdeus said:
Premier said:
Charliehttp://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000534: So, lieutenant, where exactly were you?Maverickhttp://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000129: Well, we...Goosehttp://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000381: Thank you.Maverickhttp://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000129: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.Charliehttp://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000534: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?Maverickhttp://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000129: Because I was inverted.
Interesting. Never done that before, on any smoker. I would think that fat would turn quick though and on brisket I like a little bit of tasty fat cap on the top.
Its a matter of preference. Read here for more. I was just offering the fat side down to help protect against the burning issue you have.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/57199/fat-side-up-or-down

culdeus said:
Premier said:
Its a matter of preference. Read here for more. I was just offering the fat side down to help protect against the burning issue you have. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/57199/fat-side-up-or-down
Appreciate the help. :thumbup:

I'll do the thermometer test tonight.

Other possibility is creosote buildup on the dome.

I do bge things with a fat cap down always. At its core it is a convection oven which cooks by radiating heat from the dome down. In an offset the heat comes across so cap up. There is some disagreement on this topic but still I'd guess 90%+ go fat down.

I do bge things with a fat cap down always. At its core it is a convection oven which cooks by radiating heat from the dome down. In an offset the heat comes across so cap up. There is some disagreement on this topic but still I'd guess 90%+ go fat down.
That's a good point. I'll definitely try that next time.

And I did the thermometer test tonight. Boiling water, put the egg thermometer in it and it barely reached 150. Got my digital out and it went to 212 on the dime.

Sooooooooo I think I figured out the main problem. And by I, I mean NewlyRetired.

That's a good point. I'll definitely try that next time. And I did the thermometer test tonight. Boiling water, put the egg thermometer in it and it barely reached 150. Got my digital out and it went to 212 on the dime.

Sooooooooo I think I figured out the main problem. And by I, I mean NewlyRetired.
I think that is almost exactly what happened to mine! I was finding that my food was cooking way too quickly. With this much error, you might have been cooking at close to 350 instead of 250. Good work! Were you able to find the screw/nut to adjust it back to 212?

That's a good point. I'll definitely try that next time. And I did the thermometer test tonight. Boiling water, put the egg thermometer in it and it barely reached 150. Got my digital out and it went to 212 on the dime.

I think that is almost exactly what happened to mine! I was finding that my food was cooking way too quickly. With this much error, you might have been cooking at close to 350 instead of 250. Good work! Were you able to find the screw/nut to adjust it back to 212?
:thumbup:

No I wasn't able to even get it out of there, it's so smoked in. I just took the pot out there and dropped the dome into it.

I get home earlier tomorrow so I'll spend more time with it and get it out. Gonna be a minor pain.

:thumbup: No I wasn't able to even get it out of there, it's so smoked in. I just took the pot out there and dropped the dome into it.

I get home earlier tomorrow so I'll spend more time with it and get it out. Gonna be a minor pain.
Gotcha. Good luck. By the way, are you sure the probe actually dropped into the water in that test you did? It is probably worth taking it out, cleaning it all off and then retest it and then adjust it when you have time tomorrow.

:thumbup: No I wasn't able to even get it out of there, it's so smoked in. I just took the pot out there and dropped the dome into it.

Gotcha. Good luck. By the way, are you sure the probe actually dropped into the water in that test you did? It is probably worth taking it out, cleaning it all off and then retest it and then adjust it when you have time tomorrow.
Oh yea, full thing went in. I watched it drop all the way in. Pulled it back out and it was all wet. Was like checking oil in your engine.Water was dirty afterwards too.

Oh yea, full thing went in. I watched it drop all the way in. Pulled it back out and it was all wet. Was like checking oil in your engine.

Water was dirty afterwards too.
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you performed a clean burn?
:bag: Didn't think it was necessary until I looked at the inner dome tonight. Doing one this weekend now it appears.

Oh yea, full thing went in. I watched it drop all the way in. Pulled it back out and it was all wet. Was like checking oil in your engine.

Water was dirty afterwards too.
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you performed a clean burn?
:bag: Didn't think it was necessary until I looked at the inner dome tonight. Doing one this weekend now it appears.
It is worth doing at least twice a season(depending on how much you cook on it). Don't go nuts, because you can nuke your gasket, but it does help to keep it clean. A clean Egg is a happy Egg I have found over the years.

Premier said:
NewlyRetired said:
Premier said:
NewlyRetired said:

That's a good point. I'll definitely try that next time.And I did the thermometer test tonight. Boiling water, put the egg thermometer in it and it barely reached 150. Got my digital out and it went to 212 on the dime.

I think that is almost exactly what happened to mine! I was finding that my food was cooking way too quickly. With this much error, you might have been cooking at close to 350 instead of 250.Good work! Were you able to find the screw/nut to adjust it back to 212?

Gotcha. Good luck.By the way, are you sure the probe actually dropped into the water in that test you did? It is probably worth taking it out, cleaning it all off and then retest it and then adjust it when you have time tomorrow.
Oh yea, full thing went in. I watched it drop all the way in. Pulled it back out and it was all wet.
go on....

That's what I meant you should do too. I've had to do mine twice. They get pretty full of crud.

While singing and dancing "we are going to Brazil" on my deck this morning, I got inspired by Premier and decided to clean the Egg.

First thing was thermometer check, that was rock solid thankfully.

Then I took a wire brush and cleaned the dome and exposed insides of Egg.

I had just enough old lump in the Egg (a little below fire ring) to do a clean burn,which is cranking right now.

When it cools down, tomorrow I will vacuum it all out and then season the daisy wheel in my oven.

I've got to change the gasket before I set mine in it's final resting place. Changing the gasket from here on out will be a major PITA. Not looking forward to it.

I've got to change the gasket before I set mine in it's final resting place. Changing the gasket from here on out will be a major PITA. Not looking forward to it.
My nomex gasket is going on at least 5 years I think and still is solid. If you get it to set well, you should be good for a long time. Use the glue they recommend.

My nomex gasket is going on at least 5 years I think and still is solid. If you get it to set well, you should be good for a long time. Use the glue they recommend.
It's burping. I can see it when live wood is added. I think I set it in too far to the inside when I installed it originally. 99% of people say burping is no big deal, but I'm way to OCD to let such a thing go on without taking corrective actions.

I think I am officially going to retire my plate setter. After a little experimentation, all the dough based foods (pizza, calzones and bread) have come out wonderfully using the adjustable rig. The adjustable rig was such a sweet addition to the Egg.

For those wondering, the blow torch continues to work fantastic for starting the Egg. I am still on my first container of propane and have performed over 35 cooks with it. I have the technique down to just 1.5 minutes now to get the Egg to the same point it was after 12 minutes with the electrical starter.

NewlyRetired said:
I think I am officially going to retire my plate setter. After a little experimentation, all the dough based foods (pizza, calzones and bread) have come out wonderfully using the adjustable rig. The adjustable rig was such a sweet addition to the Egg.

For those wondering, the blow torch continues to work fantastic for starting the Egg. I am still on my first container of propane and have performed over 35 cooks with it. I have the technique down to just 1.5 minutes now to get the Egg to the same point it was after 12 minutes with the electrical starter.
Glad you like the rig - I know you were a little hesitant, but you're such an egg fan that I couldn't see how you wouldn't like it. With 2 pizza stones and a extra rack / crosspieces, it's ridiculously versatile. I love mine.

Before I bought my egg, I did some research, and happened upon a forum or two where I saw the widespread love for the rig. Then in looking at it vs. the platesetter, the rig just made sense to me, and was prettymuch the same price as the platesetter (maybe a tad more expensive when adding in an extra piece or two). But when I'm spending $800 on a grill, I'm not going to balk at an extra $50 for a better accessory.

I've been using the weber white cubes for starting - I use two or three (depending on how even I want the fire), and it gets things going nicely fairly quick. Is the torch really better? I may have to look into that.

I've been using the weber white cubes for starting - I use two or three (depending on how even I want the fire), and it gets things going nicely fairly quick. Is the torch really better? I may have to look into that.
I have not used the starter cubes in years so I am unfamiliar with the price.

The torch cost ~$25, and that came with enough fuel for what I am going to guess is around 50 lights. Each replacement fuel (same size) cost about $3.

How much would it cost to do ~50 lights with the cubes (assume 2.5 per light since you use 2-3)?

Nearly done

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47779362@N06/9968998943/

I'll post some of the daily pics later on the stream
Looks fab! Some questions.

1) Is that a granite counter top?

2) What is below the Egg, is it storage?

3) What is intended for the other alcoves?
1) Yes.

2) Storage, still has the condom on it. It's stainless steel 30x15 PCM drawer

3) One Drawer + cabinet , one pull out where I'll store lump in one bin and trash in the other and a fridge.

I have not used the starter cubes in years so I am unfamiliar with the price. The torch cost ~$25, and that came with enough fuel for what I am going to guess is around 50 lights. Each replacement fuel (same size) cost about $3.

How much would it cost to do ~50 lights with the cubes (assume 2.5 per light since you use 2-3)?
I still use the cubes but only use one per cook...split in half. So 24 cooks for the $6 box.

I have not used the starter cubes in years so I am unfamiliar with the price.The torch cost ~$25, and that came with enough fuel for what I am going to guess is around 50 lights. Each replacement fuel (same size) cost about $3.

I still use the cubes but only use one per cook...split in half. So 24 cooks for the $6 box.
so yea, I'd get about 10-12 for the box. The torch seems a lot cheaper in the long run, but a little more work (stand there for a minute or two.)

I'll probably stick w/ the cubes for now, although the allure of torching anything is fairly primal :)

I have not used the starter cubes in years so I am unfamiliar with the price.The torch cost ~$25, and that came with enough fuel for what I am going to guess is around 50 lights. Each replacement fuel (same size) cost about $3.

so yea, I'd get about 10-12 for the box. The torch seems a lot cheaper in the long run, but a little more work (stand there for a minute or two.)

I'll probably stick w/ the cubes for now, although the allure of torching anything is fairly primal :)
Torch is also a little more dangerous. When you have fresh lump, the sparks can get nasty :) . I use welding gloves to protect my arms.

My daughter filmed me on her ipod the first few times I did it in the hopes I would catch on fire :) .

proninja said:
I just use my old chimney I used to use on my charcoal grill. Light a grocery bag underneath it, and I get a lot of hot coals in not too much time.

If there were a reasonably priced electric lighter I could use that I felt would last a long time, I'd probably buy it. But I hear they just aren't that durable.
The first electric one I bought was great. Lasted quite a few years. Last two I bought broke in less than a season of use. That is when I started to research the blow torch method.

proninja said:
I just use my old chimney I used to use on my charcoal grill. Light a grocery bag underneath it, and I get a lot of hot coals in not too much time.

If there were a reasonably priced electric lighter I could use that I felt would last a long time, I'd probably buy it. But I hear they just aren't that durable.
The first electric one I bought was great. Last quite a few years.

Last two I bought broke in less than a season of use. That is when I started to research the blow torch method.
My electrics have broken too. I just get another one. I have little kids and the blowtorch thing is a non-starter here. Electric starters are like 10 bucks a pop so i roll with it.

Sitting on my deck on a nice fall day waiting for football to start and enjoying the smoke coming out of Egg while pork butt cooks.

Life is good :)

NewlyRetired said:
Sitting on my deck on a nice fall day waiting for football to start and enjoying the smoke coming out of Egg while pork butt cooks.

:thumbup:

Got some chicken sliders for lunch, then on to smoking a pork tenderloin.

proninja said:
Smoking four sockeye filets today. Brined for a couple of hours, have a little brown sugar and black pepper as a glaze, smoking over apple wood. :thumbup:

The downside is that I've only got the one rack for my L egg, and I'm going to have to do two smokes.

Also, I'm looking at a cheap electric smoker just for salmon. I've got a bunch of salmon, and have heard that too much fish through your egg can make your egg smell like fish. Anybody do this?
When I first started to learn about smoking I cut my teeth on the ECB (El cheapo Brinkmann). It might serve your purpose http://t.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Gourmet-Electric-Smoker-and-Grill-810-7090-S/100606040

I don't cook fish so I am unaware if the lingering fish smell is true or not.

Sitting on my deck on a nice fall day waiting for football to start and enjoying the smoke coming out of Egg while pork butt cooks.Life is good :)
You really are making me want one of these expensive eggs. Damn you! :finger:
Don't think of it as expensive. Think of it as a single lifetime purchase. :) Just add up how much you would spend on other grills over a 25 year period and the Egg suddenly looks like a good deal :)

proninja said:

You really are making me want one of these expensive eggs.

Damn you! :finger:
The cool thing about these expensive eggs is that they're so awesome you use them all the time. It's not like a treadmill, where you buy it and never use it. They not only make good food, they're a lot of fun to use. There are toys to tinker with. They require just enough maintenance so you can feel like you're doing something, but not so much maintenance that you can't run some errands while there's food on.

If you can bring yourself to trust a Seahawk fan, you won't regret buying one.
Hey, Seahawk fans eat good too. I'm envious of you guys that have an Egg grill. Unfortunately, it's too far down the list of my cash priorities. New drums and cymbals are first before the grill.

But if I ever get some extra scratch and come across a good deal......

Users who are viewing this thread