What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (1 Viewer)

i'd lay down money to see the average FBG fight a featherweight, bare knuckles.we could have Dentist on standby for the emergency dental work our FBG is gonna need.
I'm not doing it, because I value my nuts, and I'm under 6'0" so I don't technically qualify for the current argument. But I'm down for $200 on matuski.
I would pay $100 to watch this fight. I would place a substantial amount more on the featherweight winning. A good night's entertainment and a big boost to the bank account all rolled into one.
:goodposting: Haha I would do this, of course I would need in on the purse.

For the boxing question shady, it's really easy to answer.Go down to the local boxing gym and tell the owner what you're thinking. As Sweetj said, it's not that uncommon. Suit up and spar with a guy that is really good. (understanding he's far from a professional) It'll be a good experience for you. It was for me.J
I wasnt trying to sound cocky. I honestly have no clue how much a punch from a 125lb boxer would feel and I doubt many posting in this thread do as well.
Seriously though, you should do this. Video tape it and we can all make sig bets here.It could be the FBG version of the Pros vs Joes thing. You should seriously do this.J
I would like to do this... but i am afraid of the South Side of SA. :goodposting:

If these featherweights can dish out this much punishment to a regular guy (concussions, emergency dental work needed, popping eyeballs out of your skull), how come they don't do any of this in the ring against other featherweights?
Because they are fighting other professional fighters that are trained to slip and avoid punches and usually are in the same general speed/quickness range, not to mention that they are generally in very good fighting shape.For those of you that believe that a featherweight can't generate a LOT of punching power I would suggest going to a gym someday and watch the way these guys can handle a heavy bag. Then imagine that he just hit you in the ribs and gut (not even going to the head) several times with that force. He would have you peeing blood from your hospital bed for the next several days.

For some of these guys, the glove is like the end of a whip that is popped. Very different from something like a hook that is tons more power and biceps and lats.

Same with some of these skinny golfers and baseball pitchers.

J
:thumbup: Funny how it doesn't matter if a guy's 6'5" and 300 lbs or 5'4" and 140 lbs - noses don't carry much muscle. The smaller, quicker fighter would dance around, wait for his shot, nail Mr. Big FBG square in the schnozz like a sniper, quick flurry, fight over.
:lmao: omg :lmao: hahaha :no: I don't think so scooter. I'm 6'2" 290lbs, and there is no way i'm gonna let a 5'4" 140lbs guy knock me down, much less out. Please, no need to counter-argue thx.
:no: :no: Scooter? :confused: :confused: At your size, my money's on the little guy. Every time. Speed>>>>>girth.

could put us up for a little street match between matuski and Rudy Perez?
Maybe against Rudy Perez http://www.rudyperez.com/But not the boxer.

Good video explaining what would be happening in matski's brain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKRdUoyUEp4...ted&search=

Kinetic energy and the transferral of it is a skill. And a professional boxer has that skill to a level few humans in the universe do. Size certianly matters as the video says. But even a lighter guy would have enough power to put our FBGer eating with a straw for a long time.

J
NahI really don't think those guys are strong enough. You can't convince me that they are.
Convince yourself. Find a gym where these guys are working out and tell them you want to get in the ring with one of them, either boxing or no holds barred. And I am not even talking professional here, let's say good amatuer or Golden Glove featherweight. Report back.

For some of these guys, the glove is like the end of a whip that is popped. Very different from something like a hook that is tons more power and biceps and lats.

Same with some of these skinny golfers and baseball pitchers.

J
:yes: Funny how it doesn't matter if a guy's 6'5" and 300 lbs or 5'4" and 140 lbs - noses don't carry much muscle. The smaller, quicker fighter would dance around, wait for his shot, nail Mr. Big FBG square in the schnozz like a sniper, quick flurry, fight over.
:lmao: omg :lmao: hahaha :no: I don't think so scooter. I'm 6'2" 290lbs, and there is no way i'm gonna let a 5'4" 140lbs guy knock me down, much less out. Please, no need to counter-argue thx.
:hifive: :lmao: Scooter? :confused: :confused: At your size, my money's on the little guy. Every time. Speed>>>>>girth.
at 6'2 290 he's not beating anyone in a fight that's able to move well

Watch this then come back and tell me how you would do. These guys are so fast and their ungloved fist would cut you to pieces. They would hit you in the ribs and break your rib ans before you went down they would break your face in about 3 places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USIMFePsolE
Look again... in platform shoes these guys are just taller than the ropes. They are badass when the other guy is tiny as well, but what happens when their target is suddenly moved a foot overhead?Of course if punching in the nuts is a valid form of fighting they have the advantage. Or biting nuts.
you do realize that you are saying "no rules" but then imposing a rule to protect your bo jangles?he'd speedbag your boys and your grandkids would be winded, or he would fake a shot at the boys and level you.

I think some ppl are overestimating the difference between a 5'6 guy and a guy who is 6'0. This guy will tenderize the torso of said 6' guy in a matter of minutes, you'll be pissing blood for weeks after he pins you against a wall and unloads nonstop for bout 7-8 minutes.

:lmao: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
In a boxing match? You're delusional.
What? I think 100% of the time the featherweight boxer would beat me in a boxing match. But I dont think it would be a bloodbath in the 1st round.
How much fight training do you have, shady?If the answer is anything other than "a lot", it would be a blood bath in the first round. He will hit you repeatedly in the face. The pain from the first shot to the nose will disorient you. Then your eyes will flood and you won't be able to see half as well. Then he will go to town. Trust me, it would be ugly.It doesn't mean you're not tough or in shape. He knows things and has skills you don't. J
:no: Couldn't have said it better. He will hit you so many times before you can even react to his punches you'll be down in minutes.
But will those punches hurt? How do you know for sure? Would be pretty cool to see if there are any studies out there measuring the difference of the strength by weight class.
Yes. They will hurt. A lot. These guys use like 8 oz gloves, right? That's not much.But to answer your question, you CAN know for sure. Head down to the gym. Take a video cam. Seriously.This would be HUGE in the FFA. Do it Shady. Do it for the Free For All.J

My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches.
Diego Corrales started at featherweight and was 5'10 1/2". When was the last time you took a left hook to the chin or liver from anyone?
This is Corrales at 149lbs. Pic at top of article.Take 25lbs off that frame (almost 20% of his mass). Are you kidding me? You would be able to wrap your hand around his biceps and thighs.

ETA - that 1/2" added on to his height is hilarious.... not trying to compensate are we?
Sorry, that's what his height was listed at. Don't think he'll have to jump to hit you though. Here he is at 135. If you want to wrap your hands around his thighs that's your business. And unlike you, shadyridr is talking about a boxing match. Him saying his ribs may be a little sore after five rounds doesn't take into account that his internal organs would probably be bleeding in the first.
That pic is PERFECT.. good god his arms might snap if they got any skinnier... and they would have to after he lost 10 more pounds to get to 125lbs.
:hookinmouth: Are you saying you could shrug off a punch delivered from these skinny arms?Are we talking about fighting or bodybuilding here?

J
I am saying those pics do nothing but reaffirm my opinions already stated. And these pics are of a guy much bigger than the ones we are debating.
Do you think you could shrug off a punch delivered from those skinny arms?J
Better than he could one of mine. :no: And to repeat - those arms are much bigger than the ones we are debating.... hard to even imagine, but true.

I think some people here are refusing to acknowledge just how small 125lbs is.
That's not the question though. You seem to think his arms are to skinny to generate much power.What kind of effect on you do you think it will have when he lands a punch squarely on your nose? That's the relevant question.

J

:lmao: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
What? I think 100% of the time the featherweight boxer would beat me in a boxing match. But I dont think it would be a bloodbath in the 1st round.
How much fight training do you have, shady?If the answer is anything other than "a lot", it would be a blood bath in the first round. He will hit you repeatedly in the face. The pain from the first shot to the nose will disorient you. Then your eyes will flood and you won't be able to see half as well. Then he will go to town. Trust me, it would be ugly.It doesn't mean you're not tough or in shape. He knows things and has skills you don't. J
:thumbup: Couldn't have said it better. He will hit you so many times before you can even react to his punches you'll be down in minutes.
But will those punches hurt? How do you know for sure? Would be pretty cool to see if there are any studies out there measuring the difference of the strength by weight class.
Yes. They will hurt. A lot. These guys use like 8 oz gloves, right? That's not much.But to answer your question, you CAN know for sure. Head down to the gym. Take a video cam. Seriously.This would be HUGE in the FFA. Do it Shady. Do it for the Free For All.J
:confused: In what part of this thread did I say I wanted to do this or that I was confidant I can hold my own? It was just a friendly conversation I had with my friends that I thought would be fun to discuss in the FFA.

:thumbup: Couldn't have said it better. He will hit you so many times before you can even react to his punches you'll be down in minutes.
:confused: In what part of this thread did I say I wanted to do this or that I was confidant I can hold my own? It was just a friendly conversation I had with my friends that I thought would be fun to discuss in the FFA.
How do you know for sure?
You CAN know for sure. Make a bet with your buddies. Video tape it and we'll run it here. You gotta do this.J

I went to a toughman contest in Detroit at Cobo Hall in the late 80s.There was a guy who looked like a tough Grizzy Adams walking around.The guy looked like the baddest man in the whole event. The first fight was Grizzly who was about 6-5 275 LBs against a guy who looked to be about 5-9 160-170 LBS.I am thinking..what a mismatch. The little guy came out and popped Grizzly about 5 times in the face and nose..it ended up Grizzly was in the corner with his back to the ring and the little guy was landing about 50 punches a minute on his face.Grizzly quit before the first rd was over.
Good for him. Where does the 125-pounder come into play?
The moral of the story is "Never underestimate your opponent"

:lmao: We know but it would still kick serious ###, we'll even build a statue in your honor posthumously

proninja said:
I've seen my 110lb sister bloody a guy's nose in a barfight with a backhand. She had about a year of training in at the time and was an absolute jock, but she knocked the dude back about 8 feet.I've watched my 125lb wife knock down 180lb guys in the ring.I sparred with a 110 lb girl a few times who I'd never want to touch on the street. This one was a top 5 candidate for Time's soldier of the year a few years ago and had about 12 years of karate training. I'd take her all day against our athletic, muscular 225lb friend. You guys are seriously underestimating how hard a 125lb guy can hit, and how much of a skill fighting is.That being said, I have an ***official*** offer for Matsuki. He's considering moving to Seattle, and I'm assuming will come to visit at some point in time. I'll find a boxing gym with a good featherweight, do the legwork, and set us up the fight. I'll even show up and videotape it, so we can put this to bed.Matsuki, what say ye?
:cricketchirps:

I played in a pick-up basketball game with Willie Roaf about 10-12 years ago. Completely ignoring his strength advantages he was the quickest, fastest, most agile player on the court. Someone tossed the ball to him under the basket and with no effort and no first step his 300+ pounds levitated off the floor and dunked it. It was then that I realized that a professional atheletes WORST athletic ability was far better than the average person's BEST atheletic ability.

I'm guessing that a professional boxer's average punch is probably 1,000% harder than your average FBG's best punch. Your height and weight advantages would be nullified on the first punch to the gut. Then, doubled over, you'd get nailed in the face so hard that your great, great grandmother would feel it. I'm thinking 3 punches then they call the ambulance.

proninja said:
I've seen my 110lb sister bloody a guy's nose in a barfight with a backhand. She had about a year of training in at the time and was an absolute jock, but she knocked the dude back about 8 feet.I've watched my 125lb wife knock down 180lb guys in the ring.
Hotness. Set us up the pics.

Think Cinderella Man, when Russell Crowe is breaking up the domestic dispute and the guy goes to swing at him.

Think that time 100x

proninja said:
That being said, I have an ***official*** offer for Matsuki. He's considering moving to Seattle, and I'm assuming will come to visit at some point in time. I'll find a boxing gym with a good featherweight, do the legwork, and set us up the fight. I'll even show up and videotape it, so we can put this to bed.Matsuki, what say ye?
Make this happen, Guys. We'll host the video. It'll be huge.J

I've been in the ring twice. Amatuer kickboxing at a local venue, 500 people, no big deal. The first fight ended with a loss (decision) and the second one ended in the first round with me getting my nose broken.

The respect I have for professional boxers is GREAT. Any size, any weight, these guys are good. To think an "untrained" average joe (of any size) would last more than 30-seconds is what makes this thread laughable.

:rolleyes:

You'd never even hit him.....not once. :lmao:

proninja said:
That being said, I have an ***official*** offer for Matsuki. He's considering moving to Seattle, and I'm assuming will come to visit at some point in time. I'll find a boxing gym with a good featherweight, do the legwork, and set us up the fight. I'll even show up and videotape it, so we can put this to bed.Matsuki, what say ye?
Put Woz vs. Tonya Harding on the card, and you have pure gold.

Watch this then come back and tell me how you would do. These guys are so fast and their ungloved fist would cut you to pieces. They would hit you in the ribs and break your rib ans before you went down they would break your face in about 3 places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USIMFePsolE
Look again... in platform shoes these guys are just taller than the ropes. They are badass when the other guy is tiny as well, but what happens when their target is suddenly moved a foot overhead?Of course if punching in the nuts is a valid form of fighting they have the advantage. Or biting nuts.
you do realize that you are saying "no rules" but then imposing a rule to protect your bo jangles?he'd speedbag your boys and your grandkids would be winded, or he would fake a shot at the boys and level you.
:rolleyes:

These featherweight boxes have hands like knives. And that's not my quote, but rather what one of these guys once said about their opponent.

Even in a street fight, the featherweight would annihilate you.

I seriously don't get the "skinny arms" comments. If you know anything about boxing you know it's not your "arms" or its "muscles" that generate the power.

Fighting is just one of those things everyone thinks their good at regardless of training or practice... Kind of like sex....

I seriously don't get the "skinny arms" comments. If you know anything about boxing you know it's not your "arms" or its "muscles" that generate the power.

Fighting is just one of those things everyone thinks their good at regardless of training or practice... Kind of like sex....
are you recommending more practice? have u been speaking with mrs. zula? :ph34r:

proninja said:
This would be fun. I will know this week if I am on my way or not... or so I hope.And for the love of jeebus my name is matuski.. as in Matt plus the SNL addition of "uski."

i would need to be in matuski's corner though. i would give him lots of good advice like the windmill punching method and holding the featherweight midget's head to keep him out of reach.

i would also sacrifice a point or two in a couple rounds with a cheap shot or a head butt just to slow the 120 lb mexican down.

i would also have matuski wear a lucha libre mask, just to make the other boxer question if matuski is his long lost brother.

we would unveil the mask in the 10th round for a dramatic turn of events.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would need to be in matuski's corner though. i would give him lots of good advice like the windmill punching method and holding the featherweight midget's head to keep him out of reach.

i would also sacrifice a point or two in a couple rounds with a cheap shot or a head butt just to slow the 120 lb mexican down.

i would also have matuski wear a lucha libre mask, just to make the other boxer question if matuski is his long lost brother.

:lmao: :jawdrop: :shock:

LMAO :jawdrop: :shock:

proninja said:
This would be fun. I will know this week if I am on my way or not... or so I hope.
Excellent. Start making calls, proninja.J

I seriously don't get the "skinny arms" comments. If you know anything about boxing you know it's not your "arms" or its "muscles" that generate the power. Fighting is just one of those things everyone thinks their good at regardless of training or practice... Kind of like sex....
The arms don't generate the power during sex either

For the boxing question shady, it's really easy to answer.Go down to the local boxing gym and tell the owner what you're thinking. As Sweetj said, it's not that uncommon. Suit up and spar with a guy that is really good. (understanding he's far from a professional) It'll be a good experience for you. It was for me.J
I wasnt trying to sound cocky. I honestly have no clue how much a punch from a 125lb boxer would feel and I doubt many posting in this thread do as well.
Seriously though, you should do this. Video tape it and we can all make sig bets here.It could be the FBG version of the Pros vs Joes thing. You should seriously do this.J
Monumental shtick potential here.

What happened to you?

Whew! I got whooped. You should have seen the rage in their little eyes. And those tiny little fists of fury.

proninja said:
This would be fun. I will know this week if I am on my way or not... or so I hope.
Excellent. Start making calls, proninja.J
:pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to you?Whew! I got whooped. You should have seen the rage in their little eyes. And those tiny little fists of fury.
That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on! Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Users who are viewing this thread