What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (10 Viewers)

He’s a HOFer for sure imo. Hard to blame him for being alive at the same time as all time greats Brady, Manning, Rodgers. Compare him to Eli and Ben and Ryan and Brees. He looks pretty good. The Chargers are an awful organization that should be drug out to the street and shot. 

I generally shy away from comparing players from different generations. If your argument was to compare Moon, Marino, and Fouts because none of them won a SB, so be it.

I definitely would put Marino in a different class than Rivers. Rivers JUST passed Marino in passing yards this season . . . and he retired 22 years ago . . . nearly 10,000 passing yards ahead of Elway in career passing yards (who was 2nd). Marino led the league in passing yardage 5 times, passing TD 3 times, was a first team All Pro 3 times, and won 16 more games than Rivers did in almost the same number of games played.

I realize it isn't Rivers fault that he played with some of the greatest QBs to ever lace 'em up. And we can't hold it against Marino that a lot of the other QBs in the league at the time were pretty meh. IMO, Marino performed better vs. his peers than Rivers did vs. his peers.

That being said, Rivers still deserves a spot in the HOF. IIRC, there was a stretch where in 14 of 15 seasons the AFC was represented in the SB by Manning, Brady, or Roethlisberger (with Flacco being the only exception). That was something we may never see happen again.
Marino put up some mind numbing numbers in an era when QBs were open season, receivers were routinely mugged before they could run a route, and nobody would dare catch anything across the middle of the field for fear of their head being knocked into another galaxy. That '84 season is the greatest season ever by a QB. Not only did he throw for over 450 more yards than the closest competitor, he threw for 16 more TDs. In '86, he throws for 600 more yards than the next, and 19 more TDs. 

When people compare numbers from different eras, they have to consider what were the rules of engagement, and how was the game played at that time. I grew up watching the NFL since the 80's, and have seen how the rule changes have provided offensive numbers to be accumulated in less restrictive ways over the years, especially this current era. Having said all that, Rivers might not look the part of a HOF QB to some, but he passed the ultimate test of playing at a high level for a long time, which is something I believe plays a big role in who gets selected.

Compiled a bunch of stats but man he couldn't win anything in the playoffs.   Ever.   

I wouldn't put him in the hall but they have guys in there with way less stats. those guys actually won meaningful games though.   

I always think of two things when I think of rivers.  How he always had the ball in  close game at the end and how he usually came up short

Compiled a bunch of stats but man he couldn't win anything in the playoffs.   Ever.   

I wouldn't put him in the hall but they have guys in there with way less stats. those guys actually won meaningful games though.   
So you are saying the five playoff games he and his teammates (football is a team sport) won weren't meaningful? Philip led his team to an AFC Championship game. That wasn't meaningful? He played in that AFC Championship game with a torn ACL and meniscus. He tore them in the previous game. He had several teammates that were also hurt in the AFC Championship game such as LT, Gates, Neal, Hardwick, and Merriman. Philip has always been tough as nails.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are saying the five playoff games he and his teammates (football is a team sport) won weren't meaningful? Philip led his team to an AFC Championship game. That wasn't meaningful? He played in that AFC Championship game with a torn ACL and meniscus. He tore them in the previous game. He had several teammates that were also hurt in the AFC Championship game such as LT, Gates, Neal, Hardwick, and Merriman. Philip has always been tough as nails.
Tough?   Sure.

We are talking about what he won.  His legacy.   His right for the hall of fame.

His teams were stacked a bunch of years. He lost a bunch of games that were winnable.   Brees would have won more of those games.  Hell a bunch of other top 15 qbs would have won those games. 5 playoff wins in 17 years on stacked teams the majority of those years?   Thats not impressive.   Is he a good qb?  Sure.   Is he great?   Not a chance.

Tough?   Sure.

We are talking about what he won.  His legacy.   His right for the hall of fame.
You said, "he couldn't win anything in the playoffs. Ever."  That isn't true.  You also said he didn't win any meaningful games. That also isn't true.  

You said, "he couldn't win anything in the playoffs. Ever."  That isn't true.  You also said he didn't win any meaningful games. That also isn't true
 5–7 record in the playoffs and never made a Super Bowl appearance

Last edited by a moderator:
He had a future HOF TE in Antonio Gates. And Keenan Allen for several years. Vincent Jackson was good. He had some decent receivers.

His first year eligible for the hall of fame will have Brees (the guy he was drafted to replace) going in on the first ballot. 

His second year eligible will have Brady. 

His third year eligible may well have Rodgers. 

I don't know if it matters to voters but I would not cast a vote for him to go to the hall of fame the same year as someone who was absurdly better in every way like those 3. 

I still think he eventually gets in, but longevity works against players sometimes and rivers didn't exactly go out with a bang. 

His first year eligible for the hall of fame will have Brees (the guy he was drafted to replace) going in on the first ballot. 

His second year eligible will have Brady. 

His third year eligible may well have Rodgers. 

I don't know if it matters to voters but I would not cast a vote for him to go to the hall of fame the same year as someone who was absurdly better in every way like those 3. 

I still think he eventually gets in, but longevity works against players sometimes and rivers didn't exactly go out with a bang. 
I agree he won't get in as part of a class with Brees, Brady, or Rogers. But you are making an assumption about Brady (that he retires after 2021) and possibly Rogers (that he retires after 2022). I doubt both of those things will happen.

But it doesn't matter. IMO it's a matter of when, not if.

As for how he went out, he led the Colts to 11 wins and a close playoff loss to the #2 seed, which could end up in the Super Bowl. Sure, he didn't go out with a season like Brady; not many do. He didn't go out after a Super Bowl win; not many do. :shrug:  

For players that spark a conversation, it's often more about what various people think should be enough to get a player in rather than what actually does get a player in. I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't get in.

I agree he won't get in as part of a class with Brees, Brady, or Rogers. But you are making an assumption about Brady (that he retires after 2021) and possibly Rogers (that he retires after 2022). I doubt both of those things will happen.

But it doesn't matter. IMO it's a matter of when, not if.

As for how he went out, he led the Colts to 11 wins and a close playoff loss to the #2 seed, which could end up in the Super Bowl. Sure, he didn't go out with a season like Brady; not many do. He didn't go out after a Super Bowl win; not many do. :shrug:  
When it comes time to vote for the HOF I doubt anyone is going to factor in "he had a close playoff loss to the #2 seed" (who may or may not advance to the Super Bowl) for his last game. I'm guessing he's referring to his mediocre final few seasons of his career, not his mediocre final game.

Rivers started off great, but he's been a ~.500 QB for the last 2, 6, all the way to the final 11 years of his career. His post season numbers weren't good, he never led his team to a Super Bowl appearance and only once making it to the conference championship game. There was only a short window of his career where he was considered one of the best QBs in the league, he made several pro bowls but never an all-pro, and he added nothing in the running game.

He is seemingly a stand up guy, was as durable as they come and most NFL QBs would gladly trade careers, but IMO he belongs in the "Hall of Very Good" not the HOF. That said, he'll very likely get in during a year when there aren't stronger QB candidates on the ballot.

Ran across this in an article at the Athletic. There have been 10 QBs who started at least 12 postseason games since 2000. They have combined for 80 postseason losses over that span, and Rivers has 7 of those.

Looking at the average team DEF/ST EPA in those playoff losses, Rivers' teams had the second worst average (-10.8). Only Rodgers (-16.8) got less from his defense and special teams.

still better than anyone on the Colts' roster including that Wentz guy.
Perhaps, but I would rather suck and have the higher pick than win a couple more games with a QB that will never lead you far into the playoffs, or even make the playoffs.

Colts record with Rivers at QB was 11-5.

The last season they had a better record was 2009.

Over/Under on the number of seasons it will take for the Colts to have a better record than the Rivers led Colts?

Las Vegas puts the Colts win total at 8.5.... and that's with a 17 game season instead of a 16 game season. Maybe they don't know much about football.

NFL Network's Rich Eisen said Philip Rivers contacted the Dolphins and 49ers about returning during the 2022 season.​

Eisen didn't get deep into specifics, but it sounds like Rivers reached out to the Dolphins and 49ers while the teams were dealing with injuries at quarterback. Rivers last played with the Colts in 2020 and is now 41 years old. The former eight-time Pro Bowler appeared in 12 playoff games in his career and was likely intrigued by the opportunity to step in and help a roster competing for a Super Bowl. Barring an unexpected announcement, we wouldn't expect Rivers to have any interest in returning for a full slate of games in 2023.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Rich Eisen Show on Twitter
Mar 6, 2023, 4:50 PM ET

NFL Network's Rich Eisen said Philip Rivers contacted the Dolphins and 49ers about returning during the 2022 season.​

Eisen didn't get deep into specifics, but it sounds like Rivers reached out to the Dolphins and 49ers while the teams were dealing with injuries at quarterback. Rivers last played with the Colts in 2020 and is now 41 years old. The former eight-time Pro Bowler appeared in 12 playoff games in his career and was likely intrigued by the opportunity to step in and help a roster competing for a Super Bowl. Barring an unexpected announcement, we wouldn't expect Rivers to have any interest in returning for a full slate of games in 2023.
RELATED:
No.

Colts record with Rivers at QB was 11-5.

The last season they had a better record was 2009.

Over/Under on the number of seasons it will take for the Colts to have a better record than the Rivers led Colts?

Las Vegas puts the Colts win total at 8.5.... and that's with a 17 game season instead of a 16 game season. Maybe they don't know much about football.

2021 - 9-8
2022 - 4-12-1

In the past 8 seasons, they won 11 games once, in 2020 with Rivers at QB. And it doesn't look like they get back to that level any time soon.

Yeah, maybe they should have appreciated Rivers a bit more.

RELATED:
No.
Miami 100% beats Buffalo in the playoffs if Rivers was their QB last year, even with only a couple weeks to learn the playbook.

RELATED:
No.
Miami 100% beats Buffalo in the playoffs if Rivers was their QB last year, even with only a couple weeks to learn the playbook.
Nobody lights up a playoff offense like a has-been QB who would have turned in a 4-13 regular season.

RELATED:
No.
Nobody lights up a playoff offense like a has-been QB who would have turned in a 4-13 regular season.
Would have been a hell of a lot better than Skylar Thompson, who could barely get plays called in time.

I do agree, that Rivers certainly doesn't have the success Tua had if he'd been the starter for them all season, but I think he could have been on Teddy's level, and I maintain if Miami had Teddy for the Buffalo game, Buffalo loses to Miami.

Not that it would have mattered too much, Miami probably wasn't beating KC next regardless of who their QB was.

... this looks like it could be a 1 year mistake. Rivers' gunslinger mentality and his declining arm strength really don't seem to mesh with the Colts unless they plan to go more West Coast offense. Really a puzzling move considering Brissett is still learning the game, but understandable if they draft a QB early I guess.... I mean they could have just tried to trade up.
Trade up for who? I sure as hell don’t want anything to do with Herbert
Oof

... this looks like it could be a 1 year mistake. Rivers' gunslinger mentality and his declining arm strength really don't seem to mesh with the Colts unless they plan to go more West Coast offense. Really a puzzling move considering Brissett is still learning the game, but understandable if they draft a QB early I guess.... I mean they could have just tried to trade up.
Trade up for who? I sure as hell don’t want anything to do with Herbert
Oof
And when you disagree with him on his repeated opinion he’s shared 50 or more times, he gets real bent out of shape.

Bleacher Report
@BleacherReport

Philip Rivers and his wife Tiffany are expecting their 10th child (via
@aldotcom)
The Rivers family is creating some distance between them and the Fitzpatrick family. One more kid and the 12-passenger van will be too small.
Read yesterday that he said it was not a problem because some of the older kids were driving on their own.

Also read both Phillip and his wife came from families of 9 children.

Holidays must be epic.

Glad this got bumped. I read back through the past several pages, and there are a lot of posters who were flat wrong about Rivers coming out of the 2019 season.

You know who you are.

Last edited:
@Deamon

Source?

This will surely come across as a bit pedantic, but Philip & his wife welcomed child #10 (7 girls, 3 boys) in November, 2023. Maybe they adopted 3? Took on foster kids for extra income? I couldn’t find anything to substantiate 13.

Rivers is coaching h.s. ball now at a small private h.s. (St Michael Catholic); 18-12 over 3 years, 13-7 in conference. All of which seems like the Philip Rivers thing ever. He coaches his oldest son (child #4) Gunner, who completed 229-of-362 passes for 3,077 yards and 29 touchdowns last fall as a freshman, leading the Cardinals to the first playoff berth in school history.

He’ll be a hot recruit to keep an eye on in 2027. Feel free to fire up a separate thread anytime….

@Deamon

Source?

This will surely come across as a bit pedantic, but Philip & his wife welcomed child #10 (7 girls, 3 boys) in November, 2023. Maybe they adopted 3? Took on foster kids for extra income? I couldn’t find anything to substantiate 13.

Rivers is coaching h.s. ball now at a small private h.s. (St Michael Catholic); 18-12 over 3 years, 13-7 in conference. All of which seems like the Philip Rivers thing ever. He coaches his oldest son (child #4) Gunner, who completed 229-of-362 passes for 3,077 yards and 29 touchdowns last fall as a freshman, leading the Cardinals to the first playoff berth in school history.

He’ll be a hot recruit to keep an eye on in 2027. Feel free to fire up a separate thread anytime….
lol my satire did not seem to be received as satire.

Users who are viewing this thread