What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

Anyone ever play Axis and Allies? I have always been very curious about that game.

I love Risk. I also have the much sought after Lord of the Rings Trilogy edition of Risk. Great game.

I see it looks very daunting, in-depth and a real time sink if your committed to it.
3 of my friends and I played Axis and Allies for a two year span in the early/mid 90's. Excellent game! Worth the time to learn and play.

If my friends and I didn't move out of town to other locations, we'd probably still be playing to this day.
Picked up the Europe 1942 second edition.

Game is flat out amazing. My brother-in law and I were playing and we played for a good 5 hours before one of us won the game. We agreed to a monthly game. Once we play the crap out of this version we are picking up the 1940 Europe and Pacific 2nd editions which is a gigantic total world at war game. But we are a long ways from getting that one. It is huge. I may pick up the simplified 1941 game before that one. But wow! Easily the best board war game I have ever played. Took an hour to set it up and we made some mistakes early but picked up on all the nuances and rules in our first play through.
Can't say enough great things about the global edition. So much fun but takes forever. Hard to find others who are able/willing to put in that many hours.

Codenames is a fun game for a group.

Exploding Kittens is a fun simple game.

Diplomacy is something I've been hearing about for some time. Any fans?
I pulled the trigger on 1940 Global 2nd edition. Incredible. My son can't wait to play it with me. Also my brother in-law is in for an all-day/nighter to play as well.

Incredible game.

Huge Uwe Rosenburg fan here. Added Fields of Arle at Christmas. Designed as a 2 player game, but deep like Agricola or Caverna

Recently joined a board game group. Some game I've learned and really enjoyed:

Nations

Istanbul

7 Wonders

Splendor

Didn't get to play Village, but that looked fun from watching it.

Looking forward to learning some more.

Some favorites from my younger days:

Settlers of Catan, but even moreso the Knights and Cities expansion.

Starfarers of Catan is probably my favorite, though some feel it's too heavy on luck.

Citadels

Castle of Magic

Starship Catan is a great 2 player game.
Yep. Village is terrific, especially with the Inn expansion. The Inn is out of print and impossible the find right now though.

Diplomacy is the best board game ever created.
I don't know. The concept is great, but it seems broken. I own the game but haven't played it since the first time.

For the most part, everyone targets the frontrunner. So no one ever gets far enough ahead to win. It seems the best outcome is that 2 players claim a shared win over the rest.

Maelstrom said:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but we played Codenames at a party recently, and quickly followed up to play it again at lunch. Really fun game, it remains to be seen if the replay value stands up. Box says up to 8 players, but seems like the kind of game that could easily be house-ruled for larger groups.
Just ordered this (and The Resistance) for a couples game night planned in a couple weeks.

My concern from the description is the replayability, it sounds like the pool of words is limited to the number of cards in the deck, which presumably is only a hundred or so?

Maelstrom said:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but we played Codenames at a party recently, and quickly followed up to play it again at lunch. Really fun game, it remains to be seen if the replay value stands up. Box says up to 8 players, but seems like the kind of game that could easily be house-ruled for larger groups.
Just ordered this (and The Resistance) for a couples game night planned in a couple weeks.

My concern from the description is the replayability, it sounds like the pool of words is limited to the number of cards in the deck, which presumably is only a hundred or so?
Right, but you mix up the words every playthrough, so the clues you give will change from game to game.

I don't know. The concept is great, but it seems broken. I own the game but haven't played it since the first time.

For the most part, everyone targets the frontrunner. So no one ever gets far enough ahead to win. It seems the best outcome is that 2 players claim a shared win over the rest.
The only way to win is to put yourself in position to conspire against the front runner, but instead back stab multiple Co conspirators simultaneously in a way that creates a well defended position for yourself that they can't conspire against.

This is my problem with Diplomacy. I don't think any game that virtually requires a shared win is a successful board game. Of course, that's more "realistic", but I don't think its satisfying as a matter of play balance.

This is my problem with Diplomacy. I don't think any game that virtually requires a shared win is a successful board game. Of course, that's more "realistic", but I don't think its satisfying as a matter of play balance.
Solo wins are uncommon, but hardly impossible. Logically, yes they should virtually never seen, but because you're dealing with human beings openings do present themselves.

We used to play diplomacy in the FFA years ago. Someone modded it and posted turns and the like on a map. Anyone remember who that was? I'm trying to mod one in my classroom and interested if anyone knows where I can get the maps online that I can print and post with moves.

We used to play diplomacy in the FFA years ago. Someone modded it and posted turns and the like on a map. Anyone remember who that was? I'm trying to mod one in my classroom and interested if anyone knows where I can get the maps online that I can print and post with moves.
Ratpfink. He doesn't post much anymore but still occasionally pops in. Good guy.

TheAristocrat said:
Picked up Pandemic to try to get the GF into games. We'll see.
Good call IMO - fighting together is a great gateway. Will you be playing 2-player or with others?

Pandemic is awesome, we love it

Also, just played Munchkin for the first time, very entertaining

TheAristocrat said:
Good call IMO - fighting together is a great gateway. Will you be playing 2-player or with others?
2 player at first but I'm hoping that this also becomes a couples game as well. I think if she likes it, we'll easily convince others to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played Ascension, it was interesting. Not awesome, but not terrible. It's a deck-based game, but unlike Magic: The Gathering, where you purchase cards at a store and bring them to the game (and, usually, whoever spent the most money wins), all the cards are in the set when you buy it. You start with a basic deck of 10 cards and acquire your own deck as you play from the card set, while your opponents do the same. Eventually you'll all acquire a full deck of 20-30 cards to play through. Only played 2 player, it was good, but still a bit odd.

Also tried Carcassonne, which is a tile-based game, where you build out a landscape and claim territory as you go. Strategically interesting.
Ascension type games are called deckbuilders. Dominion and its expansions are the classic games of that genre. Star Realms is a great two-player deckbuilder.

Carcassonne is a good game for a while and then gets a bit stale after you've brought it out a few times. We added "Inns & Cathedrals" and "Traders & Builders" expansions and there aren't any groans about the game anymore.

TheAristocrat said:
2 player at first but I'm hoping that this also becomes a couples game as well. I think if she likes it, we'll easily convince others to play.
If you get a regular group that enjoys theme, you might move up to Pandemic Legacy. It's a Pandemic "campaign" where the rules change from game to game. People really like the theme and "story" although there's some #####ing about replay value.

Right, but you mix up the words every playthrough, so the clues you give will change from game to game.
Also, the mix of words on the board will affect the clues because you are looking for clues that would match multiple words.

A co-worker of mine is trying to make the game easier to play (and to add words to) by making it a website. If it gets launched, I'll post a link for anyone that wants to check it out.

Played Ascension, it was interesting. Not awesome, but not terrible. It's a deck-based game, but unlike Magic: The Gathering, where you purchase cards at a store and bring them to the game (and, usually, whoever spent the most money wins), all the cards are in the set when you buy it. You start with a basic deck of 10 cards and acquire your own deck as you play from the card set, while your opponents do the same. Eventually you'll all acquire a full deck of 20-30 cards to play through. Only played 2 player, it was good, but still a bit odd.

Also tried Carcassonne, which is a tile-based game, where you build out a landscape and claim territory as you go. Strategically interesting.
Ascension type games are called deckbuilders. Dominion and its expansions are the classic games of that genre. Star Realms is a great two-player deckbuilder.

Carcassonne is a good game for a while and then gets a bit stale after you've brought it out a few times. We added "Inns & Cathedrals" and "Traders & Builders" expansions and there aren't any groans about the game anymore.
Dominion is my group's favorite game. With the expansions, the game never gets dull even after playing it dozens of times. The only thing to dislike about it is all the shuffling.

Star Realms is something I just started playing. I really like the game but am a little discouraged that I can't get more than one strategy to work. Basically whoever gets the best green (blob?) cards tends to win every time.

The Big Book of Madness has swiftly become my favorite co-op game.
Just bought this, on your recommendation and the couple on Amazon.

Holy cow, on the first pass the rules and mechanics seemed overwhelming. I thought it sounded like a good game to play with my son (he likes Forbidden Island, another co-op) but I think this would be way over his head at 8.

That said, it does seem to have potential and I'm looking forward to playing it a few more times.

Won Pandemic the first time I played...haven't won since. Still an awesome game.
Played a few times. Spent too much time the first game trying to eradicate each disease and run out of player cards. Next time we spent too much time worrying about curing and lost to a few unlucky outbreaks. Won the next few games once we got the hang of the right balance.

Pretty fun game overall, but after a few games starting to get relatively bored with it. Anytime we've had the dispatcher we've won pretty easily.

Talk about overwhelming rules...I don't know if it's me getting older, adhd kicking in or what...but I cannot seem to get the hang of "War of the Ring".

It looks to be one of the best 2 player games out there...but I can't seem to learn it well enough to teach anyone else to play.

Holy cow, on the first pass the rules and mechanics seemed overwhelming. I thought it sounded like a good game to play with my son (he likes Forbidden Island, another co-op) but I think this would be way over his head at 8.

That said, it does seem to have potential and I'm looking forward to playing it a few more times.
I seem to think the rules aren't hard in a nutshell, though cracking everything out of the box all at once is a lot. It's essentially a deckbuilding game with 4 different types of currency.

It's more seeing all the interactions between spells and players that make the game hard.

tdoss said:
Talk about overwhelming rules...I don't know if it's me getting older, adhd kicking in or what bit I cannot seem to get the hang of "War of the Ring".

It looks to be one of the best 2 player games out there...but I can't seem to learn it well enough to teach anyone else to play.
Pretty much it's one of the games you have to play/fail at a few times to learn better. Also having someone else that learns rules helps a ton. Since I always teach people the rules it wasn't worth it for me because no one had the patience to even learn.

Pandemic is absolutely fantastic. Played a couple easy games to get used to it and are moving up to all 6 Epidemic cards when we pick it up again. Both the GF and I really enjoy the co-op strategy and have done pretty decently on a simple level. It's kinda stressful when you are making that final break to cure the last disease and praying not to release that last Outbreak. Loved that.

Looking at some of the expansions now to add to the experience.

I also like having ten minute YouTube instructions online. Easy way to see how to setup and (generally) how to play before diving directly into it. Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at other games now since she is far less intimidated at picking up new games now.

I've found a couple of YouTube channels that teach you games and walk you through turns of a lot of games. Pretty helpful for games with lots of cards and parts that seem more complicated to get started, such as Dominion, etc.
If you haven't found his channel yet, check out Will Weaton's tabletop. He invites 3 D-B list celebrities usually from the nerd world and explains a a 30-45 minute game and they play a complete session.
:goodposting:

Checked it out this weekend. Really fun. :thanks:

Sorry if this was asked but i see Camel Up offered by 2 different manufacturers on Amazon

It says no difference so Just get the cheaper one?

Any Axis snd Allies fans? We just found an app called "Ambition" that is a direct knock off of A&A and my friends and I have been playing campaigns online while we are at work for the last few weeks.

granted, you lose a lot of the fun rolling against each other and #### talking as you invade someone's country, but its a good substitute for guys who can't get together as often as we use to.

I think, and i could be wrong, but i think he was just trying to find a game that seemed appropriate for the intellectual level of someone who would come into a board game thread and indicate that they believe all board games are for dorks.

I hate to speak for him though.
I never stated that. I only clicked on the link provided, saw that most of the games involved magic, monsters, or spaceships, and asked a question. And I don't think board games are for dorks, in fact I'm looking for a good one for the family. Just one that everyone can relate to (not just dorks).
Most don't include magic or monsters or spacechips.

Take a look at the following:

Ticket to Ride

Dominion

7 Wonders (not on sale, though)

Five Tribes

Splendor

Settlers of Catan

In particular, you won't ever find Dominion any cheaper. These are solid strategy games that are good for family play.
I played Ticket to Ride for the first time this weekend. Had a blast. Also a big fan of Settlers.

Any Axis snd Allies fans? We just found an app called "Ambition" that is a direct knock off of A&A and my friends and I have been playing campaigns online while we are at work for the last few weeks.

granted, you lose a lot of the fun rolling against each other and #### talking as you invade someone's country, but its a good substitute for guys who can't get together as often as we use to.
how many can play in a game?

i see it for $3.99

how many can play in a game?

i see it for $3.99
we've been doing 4 guys a game

US & USSR

Japan

Germany

UK

there are also additional boards that are Europe only and other tighter scenarios for an additional 99 cents. 1 of the guys did one of those and said it was fun. There is a decent amount of guys online to play with

$3.99 is a little steep but we use to play a lot, so it was worth it.

there's a pretty good Risk type game on IOS and android too I think

It's a combination of Risk and A&A.

blood & honor

can setup 8 player private games

$3.99 is a little steep but we use to play a lot, so it was worth it.
Amazing that people feel this way about apps.
lol...I know. And it sounds very silly. Its amazing how I would haggle with myself over a $1 app when iPhones came out. But, I guess I meant it as $4 in a world of $1 apps is expensive, add to that we have 4 guys who each bought the app

Turst me, I have an app that I would love for people to pay $4 for, but the app market is not generally at that point yet.

Many of these have been named, but here are some of my favorites:

7 Wonders*

Betrayal at the House on the Hill

Biblios*

Carcassonne

Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Catan

Dominion*

Five Tribes

Love Letter*

Pandemic

Sushi Go

Splendor

Star Trek: Five Year Mission

Takenoko

Tokaido

*Really card games, but feel like board games

I seem to think the rules aren't hard in a nutshell, though cracking everything out of the box all at once is a lot. It's essentially a deckbuilding game with 4 different types of currency.

It's more seeing all the interactions between spells and players that make the game hard.
Yeah, in hindsight I think I should've conveyed that it is the sheer number of choices a player has, rather than the rules themselves, that make this game a little tough to follow initially. Probably too much for a younger kid.

OK, so I'm new to co-op games like this so this might be a dumb question:

Is it a no-no for players to reveal their hands to the other players? I mean, since you are working together rather than competing, it would make sense to share as much information as possible. But I suppose some could consider that 'cheating'?

Users who are viewing this thread