What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Chris Johnson Hype machine (2 Viewers)

Johnson has put on a few pounds of muscle since the combine, as well. His frame will allow for even more muscle weight, but that's neither here nor there.
I'm wondering why you say this? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but am wondering what it is about CJ that makes you think he can.

Johnson has put on a few pounds of muscle since the combine, as well. His frame will allow for even more muscle weight, but that's neither here nor there.
I'm wondering why you say this? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but am wondering what it is about CJ that makes you think he can.
CJ can do anything; it's been reported that he could turn water into wine but he'd rather turn constructive discussion into wanton hyperbole!!!This reminds me of the old Warner Brothers cartoon involving Sylvester the Cat and Hippety Hopper; some see CJ as a third down back with great potential but don't have him in the HOF just yet, others have him humiliating all who stand in his way. Sufferin' Succotash!!!

Chris Johnson once used a live rattlesnake as a condom.Chris Johnson's poop is considered currency in Argentina.Chris Johnson drives a an ice-cream truck covered in human skulls.If you put a phonograph needle on Chris Johnson's nipple, it plays Lil' Jon.Chris Johnson breastfeeds John Madden.Chris Johnson once split an atom to start a campfire.
He does not always drink beer. But when he does, he prefers Dos Equis.
Stay thirsty my friends.

It reminds me of the VY hype...people ignore certain facets of a players game because of the "wow" factor in other facets.You should've seen this board during VY's rookie season...
And you shoulda seen this board when VY was treating the PAC 10 like a litter box.

It reminds me of the VY hype...people ignore certain facets of a players game because of the "wow" factor in other facets.You should've seen this board during VY's rookie season...
And you shoulda seen this board when VY was treating the PAC 10 like a litter box.
VY was a dominant college player. Unfortunately for him, the play "run the ball to the outside if the TE isn't open" doesn't work too well against NFL athletes.

I took Willie Parker over Westbrook last year based partly on the so called "geniuses" of the Shark Pool felating him every chance they got. Last time I'll let this forum have any weight on my drafting again.

Chris Johnson is this years' FWP.

Don't believe the HYPE
I'd love to see a link to all the posts where FWP was hyped over Westbrook. That's a bit difficult to imagine.
:lmao: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.
Archives are your friendHere's a poll where FWP & Gore both beat out Westbrook...151 people voted.

Willie Parker v. Westbrook thread more geniuses had FWP than Westbrook as far back as '06 LOLZ.

How quickly we forget Andy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for contrary thinking and keeping a level head, but can someone please explain why Pasquino has CJ3 as his #16 rookie still? (preferably JP himself)

He's closer to #16 RB overall than the #16 rookie.

I took Willie Parker over Westbrook last year based partly on the so called "geniuses" of the Shark Pool felating him every chance they got. Last time I'll let this forum have any weight on my drafting again.

Don't believe the HYPE
I'd love to see a link to all the posts where FWP was hyped over Westbrook. That's a bit difficult to imagine.
:thumbup: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.
Archives are your friendHere's a poll where FWP & Gore both beat out Westbrook...151 people voted.

Willie Parker v. Westbrook thread more geniuses had FWP than Westbrook as far back as '06 LOLZ.

It must be unbearably emasculating to walk through life expecting everyone to make your decisions for you.Sack up, son, and start drawing your own conclusions without checking to see which way the wind blows in the Shark Pool. There's no shame in watching the lemmings race by.

:eek: People also ignored certain facets of Reggie Bush's game..
Yeah Reggie Bush is a lousy PPR RB....ok. For fantasy purposes in PPR Reggie Bush is a top 10 RB.VY is only going into his 3rd year....he still has some tremendous upside as an NFL QB. The kid is a winner and I think will be much better this season now that he actually has a true weapon and game breaker now.Keep piling on those who think CJ3 is the real deal. We will check back in week 8 to see how the kid is doing in PPR leagues.

Don't believe the HYPE
:eek: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.

It must be unbearably emasculating to walk through life expecting everyone to make your decisions for you.Sack up, son, and start drawing your own conclusions without checking to see which way the wind blows in the Shark Pool. There's no shame in watching the lemmings race by.
:no:

Question for some of you hardcore veterans. When's the last time you guys saw a guy come out of college and look this explosive in pre-season? I'm not talking stats just how he looks like he can go to the house on every play.Reggie Bush had all the hype and still hasn't shown any of these ability's. If Johnson gets the touches 15 or so a game he will be a big time player in PPR leagues and will out score Reggie Bush. I am thinking Top 15 RB in PPR leagues.
Travis Jervey?

RobMoney said:

Don't believe the HYPE
:goodposting: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.

Hardly a unanimous stance where the entire SP recommended FWP over Westbrook. That said, I'm shocked so many people were giddy about FWP. He always struck me as similar to Rudi (not in playing style obviously) -- in a good situation, but simply not talented enough to count on year after year. (in other words, likely to be replaced at any time)Anyway, thx for the links.

Fear & Loathing said:
RobMoney said:

Don't believe the HYPE
:confused: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.

Get over yourself genius.You pay to come to this site for FF advice the same as everyone else here.

If you drew your own conclusions, you wouldn't need to come to this site at all.

Fear & Loathing said:
RobMoney said:

Don't believe the HYPE
:thumbup: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.

Get over yourself genius.You pay to come to this site for FF advice the same as everyone else here.

If you drew your own conclusions, you wouldn't need to come to this site at all.
This isn't going to end well... :shock:

Get over yourself genius.You pay to come to this site for FF advice the same as everyone else here.If you drew your own conclusions, you wouldn't need to come to this site at all.
:excited: Not everyone pays to come to this site. Some of us just visit the forums to get more local information about players. There are numerous regular posters who do not subscribe to FBGs site, including me.I find the FBGs projections pretty valueless. I love the end of the year summary of data though, and the discussions on these forums can be invaluable because you can get eyewitness reports of what's going on in camp etc.But don't go assuming everyone here is a subscriber, or looks at FBGs projections as a basis for their own decisions. That's simply not the case.And even if the "mob mentality" of this board LOVES one player and HATES another - you still need to make your own decision. Even if your decision is to follow the herd, you're accountable for that decision.

Fear & Loathing said:
RobMoney said:

Don't believe the HYPE
:sadbanana: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.

I don't come here for advice. I come here for a few things: 1) timely information, 2) spirited debate, 3) analysis that I wouldn't otherwise read (e.g., EBF rookie thread, F&L dynasty thread, any random analysis by Chase Stuart, too many others to list).I then use all of this to, oh, draw my own conclusions.

How do you make decisions?

Get over yourself genius.You pay to come to this site for FF advice the same as everyone else here.If you drew your own conclusions, you wouldn't need to come to this site at all.
:clap: Not everyone pays to come to this site. Some of us just visit the forums to get more local information about players. There are numerous regular posters who do not subscribe to FBGs site, including me.I find the FBGs projections pretty valueless. I love the end of the year summary of data though, and the discussions on these forums can be invaluable because you can get eyewitness reports of what's going on in camp etc.But don't go assuming everyone here is a subscriber, or looks at FBGs projections as a basis for their own decisions. That's simply not the case.And even if the "mob mentality" of this board LOVES one player and HATES another - you still need to make your own decision. Even if your decision is to follow the herd, you're accountable for that decision.
:clap: Switz...we may not agree on some players but we agree on why we lurk and post around here.

"if you chose not to decide you still have made a choice"

I would also add, by reading these boards, you give yourself information to make your own choice.. spin it anyway you like, "advice" or information to make your "choice"

the reason we come here is to influence our knowledge (a third spin)

back to topic... will this kid have bigger impact on his team than mendenhall?

CJ can do anything;
Except run through a shoe string tackle LOL 1:34
You might want to check the other angle...the guy made a nice saving tackle. Caught his leg pretty good.But why LOL at getting tackled after a nice run?

Get over yourself genius.

You pay to come to this site for FF advice the same as everyone else here.

First, no, I don't pay to come to this site. And I'm assuming over 50% of this message board does not pay.Second, I do draw my own conclusions, and they're readily available for criticism (they're not hard to find). I don't need to come to this site at all. Like many, I'm here for the spirited debate and to challenge the conclusions that I've drawn.

But it all goes back to the original point. I don't understand why you've chosen this hobby if you're so willing to let other people make your decisions for you. It's anathema.

I've always said that I don't envy what Joe & David have to deal with in the complaints department. It's not the people who constantly question rankings, and demand more quality material, and think the analysis may be subpar at times. It's the people who can't make up their own minds and then come back with complaints like, "Hey, you guys told me to draft this guy, and now he sucks this year. Why did I pay money for this?"

See, Joe & David are kind of stuck. A big reason why FBG exists is to cater to the crowd that's too busy with real life, the kind that just wants to get involved with the guys at the office or the job site for the social aspect. They're not really committed, they may have bitten off more than they can chew, it's too late to cram for the draft, there's not enough time during the week to scour the available free agents, and it's easier to just let somebody else do the legwork while you pick the option that the experts tell you to pick for each decision.

And there's nothing really wrong with that until you cross over the line of letting somebody do your thinking for you, and then holding them responsible when it all goes wrong. That animal is tough to deal with . . . as I'm sure Joe & David can attest.

It's time to own up to a few things.

I would also add, by reading these boards, you give yourself information to make your own choice.. spin it anyway you like, "advice" or information to make your "choice"

Rush friggin rules the world my fellow Rush brutha.Rock on.

Oh yes :lmao:

First, no, I don't pay to come to this site. And I'm assuming over 50% of this message board does not pay.

Second, I do draw my own conclusions, and they're readily available for criticism (they're not hard to find). I don't need to come to this site at all. Like many, I'm here for the spirited debate and to challenge the conclusions that I've drawn.

But it all goes back to the original point. I don't understand why you've chosen this hobby if you're so willing to let other people make your decisions for you. It's anathema.
I never said I let other people make my decisions for me. Ultimately, I made the decision to draft FWP over Westbrook and I have no problem owning that decision. I still won my league. I've gotten more good info here than not, and that's the reason I pay. I've been a follower of FBGuys.com as far back as the days when all the content was free. I remember how they held out as long as they could before making the decision to charge for their info. I believe that if you are utilizing the content here as much as I do (and as much as you say you do) then you should pay for it. I'm sure it isn't free for the people who run this site to provide this content.
I've always said that I don't envy what Joe & David have to deal with in the complaints department. It's not the people who constantly question rankings, and demand more quality material, and think the analysis may be subpar at times. It's the people who can't make up their own minds and then come back with complaints like, "Hey, you guys told me to draft this guy, and now he sucks this year. Why did I pay money for this?"

See, Joe & David are kind of stuck. A big reason why FBG exists is to cater to the crowd that's too busy with real life, the kind that just wants to get involved with the guys at the office or the job site for the social aspect. They're not really committed, they may have bitten off more than they can chew, it's too late to cram for the draft, there's not enough time during the week to scour the available free agents, and it's easier to just let somebody else do the legwork while you pick the option that the experts tell you to pick for each decision.

And there's nothing really wrong with that until you cross over the line of letting somebody do your thinking for you, and then holding them responsible when it all goes wrong. That animal is tough to deal with . . . as I'm sure Joe & David can attest.

It's time to own up to a few things.
I never criticized the owners of this site at all. I think they get it right more than not, year after year. I take the articles and rankings they offer as a suggestion, not a prediction of the future. They're like the guy selling the tip sheet before you go into the track. You can choose for yourself how much weight you put into their suggestions. My criticism was aimed toward the members of this MB who are always looking for the next big thing so they can pat themselves on the back as a genius and say

"I told you so, I was hyping PLAYER X way back in June, I'm a fantasy Genius"

I've seen that act on this MB before, the links I provided proved it.

Don't believe the HYPE
:fishing: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.

:whistle:

My criticism was aimed toward the members of this MB who are always looking for the next big thing so they can pat themselves on the back as a genius and say "I told you so, I was hyping PLAYER X way back in June, I'm a fantasy Genius"I've seen that act on this MB before, the links I provided proved it.
That does happen... but some of the guys on these forums are pretty darn good at spotting talent. Look at Bloom and his hyping Marshall way way back, there was some guy who brought Boldin to everyone's attention before he blew up.Those are different than a thread like this, since those guys weren't heralded rookies. It's when those guys speak that I listen.

My criticism was aimed toward the members of this MB who are always looking for the next big thing so they can pat themselves on the back as a genius and say "I told you so, I was hyping PLAYER X way back in June, I'm a fantasy Genius"I've seen that act on this MB before, the links I provided proved it.
That does happen... but some of the guys on these forums are pretty darn good at spotting talent. Look at Bloom and his hyping Marshall way way back, there was some guy who brought Boldin to everyone's attention before he blew up.Those are different than a thread like this, since those guys weren't heralded rookies. It's when those guys speak that I listen.
Right, because heralded rookies never blow up. :excited:

I never criticized the owners of this site at all. I think they get it right more than not, year after year. I take the articles and rankings they offer as a suggestion, not a prediction of the future. They're like the guy selling the tip sheet before you go into the track. You can choose for yourself how much weight you put into their suggestions.

My criticism was aimed toward the members of this MB who are always looking for the next big thing so they can pat themselves on the back as a genius and say

"I told you so, I was hyping PLAYER X way back in June, I'm a fantasy Genius"

I've seen that act on this MB before, the links I provided proved it.
:confused: :confused: :goodposting: They act they like they "Actually discovered him" when all they did was make a post on a MB saying someone looks good in camp. I have said exactly what you are saying but usually get ripped for it.

Right, because heralded rookies never blow up. :lmao:
:own3d: Heralded rookies are expected to blow up. So when someone predicts McFadden is going to be great, then comes back and pimps himself for saying it... well, that's not much. When someone goes out on a limb and touts a guy no one else has heard of and they blow up, then people should take notice.

Right, because heralded rookies never blow up. :rolleyes:
:kicksrock: Heralded rookies are expected to blow up. So when someone predicts McFadden is going to be great, then comes back and pimps himself for saying it... well, that's not much. When someone goes out on a limb and touts a guy no one else has heard of and they blow up, then people should take notice.
Don't worry guys.....don't be upset with switz.. you are insulting his "claim to FBG's fame". He feels like he discovered Boldin. Yes he posted about him on here, but who cares :shrug: . We all saw him play at Florida State, he was a 2nd round pick for god sakes (obvious talent)......get over yourself, you made a post about a player on a message board.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes: Not everyone pays to come to this site. Some of us just visit the forums to get more local information about players. There are numerous regular posters who do not subscribe to FBGs site, including me.I find the FBGs projections pretty valueless. I love the end of the year summary of data though, and the discussions on these forums can be invaluable because you can get eyewitness reports of what's going on in camp etc.But don't go assuming everyone here is a subscriber, or looks at FBGs projections as a basis for their own decisions. That's simply not the case.And even if the "mob mentality" of this board LOVES one player and HATES another - you still need to make your own decision. Even if your decision is to follow the herd, you're accountable for that decision.
:kicksrock: Switz...we may not agree on some players but we agree on why we lurk and post around here.
Ditto. Good post, Switz.

Right, because heralded rookies never blow up. :shrug:
:fishing: Heralded rookies are expected to blow up. So when someone predicts McFadden is going to be great, then comes back and pimps himself for saying it... well, that's not much. When someone goes out on a limb and touts a guy no one else has heard of and they blow up, then people should take notice.
Don't worry guys.....don't be upset with switz.. you are insulting his "claim to FBG's fame". He feels like he discovered Boldin. Yes he posted about him on here, but who cares :shrug: . We all saw him play at Florida State, he was a 2nd round pick for god sakes (obvious talent)......get over yourself, you made a post about a player on a message board.
Whatever :shrug: Jealousy will get you nowhere. I'm sure if you made a great call, you'd be touting yourself like no other. :lmao:

I'm still consistently getting him in 10-team mocks in the 8th and 9th rounds...doesn't look like the hype has spread very wide.

Right, because heralded rookies never blow up. :no:
:hifive: Heralded rookies are expected to blow up. So when someone predicts McFadden is going to be great, then comes back and pimps himself for saying it... well, that's not much. When someone goes out on a limb and touts a guy no one else has heard of and they blow up, then people should take notice.
Whatever :rolleyes: Jealousy will get you nowhere. I'm sure if you made a great call, you'd be touting yourself like no other. :lmao:
Im too old to pat myself on the back in message board forums.

Right, because heralded rookies never blow up. :football:
:o Heralded rookies are expected to blow up. So when someone predicts McFadden is going to be great, then comes back and pimps himself for saying it... well, that's not much. When someone goes out on a limb and touts a guy no one else has heard of and they blow up, then people should take notice.
Don't worry guys.....don't be upset with switz.. you are insulting his "claim to FBG's fame". He feels like he discovered Boldin. Yes he posted about him on here, but who cares :unsure: . We all saw him play at Florida State, he was a 2nd round pick for god sakes (obvious talent)......get over yourself, you made a post about a player on a message board.
Whatever :thumbup: Jealousy will get you nowhere. I'm sure if you made a great call, you'd be touting yourself like no other. :lmao:
Wow :thumbup: / :lmao: . Yes, let's ignore all of the bad calls anyone has made and look at their hit percentage on guys that they hit on...? Even someone who has an incredible eye for talent (note, this is probably not you) will have an even smaller chance at predicting fantasy success, let along a near fantasy stud. Think about the following:You need the right talent, the right opportunity, the right system and the right health. There are a lot of unpredictable elements in here. Even top scouts will get the first wrong a lot.Saying that there is any skill in the matter is just sad. Sorry. :bye:

Chris Johnson is going to have the same impact on the Titans that Warrick Dunn did with the Michael Vick Falcons.

By putting speed in the backfield with Young, you are stretching the field with your running game. LBs must now pay attention to CJ and VY. Lendale didn't give them that ability. It will certainly be interesting to see how the Titans offense looks this season. I picked up CJ in the 8th round of my draft, hopefully it pays off.

Wow :rolleyes: / :lmao: . Yes, let's ignore all of the bad calls anyone has made and look at their hit percentage on guys that they hit on...? Even someone who has an incredible eye for talent (note, this is probably not you) will have an even smaller chance at predicting fantasy success, let along a near fantasy stud. Think about the following:

You need the right talent, the right opportunity, the right system and the right health. There are a lot of unpredictable elements in here. Even top scouts will get the first wrong a lot.

Saying that there is any skill in the matter is just sad. Sorry. :bye:
Not sure if the bolded part was aimed at me or not, since it was my post you replied to , but nevertheless :goodposting: overall.There is skill involved in predicting NFL talent - but that doesn't guarantee success because of all the factors you mentioned. No one can predict opportunity, system, or health accurately.

Quite frankly though, there are some guys on these forums that are very good at spotting talent. There are some guys that post on these forums that actually work in professional football. They're not just armchair QBs.

The guys that hit more frequently than they miss, and year after year are consistently better than average - there's more to that than luck.

But the average joe who is hyping Chris Johnson, a first round pick, like he discovered hidden gold is pretty ridiculous.

Chris Johnson is going to have the same impact on the Titans that Warrick Dunn did with the Michael Vick Falcons.
Dunn's averages in ATL w/ Vick:1052 rushing yards5 rushing TDs279 rec yards1 rec TD1350 combined yards, 6 TDs171 FP (non PPR) which places him around RB 15-20 most years. I have him projected for about 1000 total yards with 4-6 TDs. Not that far off, about 20 points which will drop him farther than 15-20.

But the average joe who is hyping Chris Johnson, a first round pick, like he discovered hidden gold is pretty ridiculous.
People are just having fun. Players get hyped all the time. In the end people will make their own decisions on who they want to draft. People shouldn't get bent out of shape if someone is high on a player that they aren't. Remember this is a hobby.

So people can't debate how well a player is going to do if he was selected in the first round?What about the average Switz who hyped Boldin, a second round pick, like he discovered hidden gold?

People are just having fun. Players get hyped all the time. In the end people will make their own decisions on who they want to draft. People shouldn't get bent out of shape if someone is high on a player that they aren't. Remember this is a hobby.
:thumbup:

Dunn's averages in ATL w/ Vick:1052 rushing yards5 rushing TDs279 rec yards1 rec TD1350 combined yards, 6 TDs171 FP (non PPR) which places him around RB 15-20 most years. I have him projected for about 1000 total yards with 4-6 TDs. Not that far off, about 20 points which will drop him farther than 15-20.
that sounds about right. i drafted him somewhere around the 40th RB...But I will say I think he can slightly surpass Dunn's numbers, because VY isn't going to produce on the ground like Vick did.

Users who are viewing this thread