What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Morning Jacket (1 Viewer)

Was looking at available tickets to the Cleveland and 2 Columbus shows that I'll be at.....there are a ton, some as close as 11th row. Entire rows open. These are smaller/theater venues. Sucks because they are so good yet virutally "unknown".

Spontaneous Curation Series is for reals. I tweeted Dondante and my little group favorited/retweeted our way to getting it (amazing rendition btw). Whoever does their tweetin' threw me in the follow up they normally do.

my morning jacket@mymorningjacket 1h1 hour ago
nice one #MMJCle! @LesterBeThe1 @bearcatbash @CYerclamtik @rodelli @jtougwood see you tonite #MMJPitt!

bearcatbash got Phone to close the show and I know the MMJ account favorited the Knot tweet and they played that.

Victory Dance was for the Cavs :thumbup:

Great great great show. Seats turned out to be 2nd row middle aisle to the left of Jim (definitely being very cautious with his movements...I think he's wearing something to brace his back). Can't wait for back to back in Columbus with ridic seats again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get to see them in NYC tomorrow. Bummed bc its a festival. But, they've penciled in a 1:45 set, which is nice.

If there is no One Big Holiday this year, I will be very very tempted to head out to Red Rocks. Very.

Spontaneous Curation Series is for reals. I tweeted Dondante and my little group favorited/retweeted our way to getting it (amazing rendition btw). Whoever does their tweetin' threw me in the follow up they normally do.
Yeah they definitely look at those tweets. Whenever they first did it during summer tour ('12?) I tweeted the #### out of 3 songs, 2 of which were Rollin' Back and Masterplan which they both played.

Nice looking set from last night :thumbup:

2 days! :headbang: Anyone ever tweeted at them for the Spontaneous Curation Series?

Sounds like Jim isn't moving around the stage very well....I hope they don't have to cancel any shows down the line if his back gets worse.

After listening to the album countless times, here is how I tier the songs (much better album than Circuital too, imo). Not much separating the first two tiers.

Tropics, Spring, In It's Infancy, Only Memories Remain

Compound Fracture, Believe

Hillside Song, Get The Point

Big Decisions

Thin Line, I Can't Wait

Like a River
I don't think you are giving Big Decisions enough credit. I'd swap that one and the cheesy Believe song. Man does that song scream Pixar soundtrack.

2 days! :headbang: Anyone ever tweeted at them for the Spontaneous Curation Series?

Sounds like Jim isn't moving around the stage very well....I hope they don't have to cancel any shows down the line if his back gets worse.

After listening to the album countless times, here is how I tier the songs (much better album than Circuital too, imo). Not much separating the first two tiers.

Big Decisions

Thin Line, I Can't Wait

Like a River
I don't think you are giving Big Decisions enough credit. I'd swap that one and the cheesy Believe song. Man does that song scream Pixar soundtrack.
my kids love it!~@~!@

Only Memories really has burned into my brain. The riff at the end is most excellent. Can't wait to hear it live.

As an aside, there are pretty good recordings up of their earlier shows this year including the one release week private show in LA and the Athens show. If you want to spoiler how these sound live, check em out.

Big Decisions

Thin Line, I Can't Wait

Like a River
I definitely like Big Decisions, don't get me wrong. Very strong album overall imo.

Really, Big Decisions and Believe are the two songs that have flucuated the most with me.

Once I start hearing these live in the flesh and on recordings, it changes everything for me. I have to say, Believe was pretty, pretty good as the opener last night. Curtain was still down when they started playing and dropped when the song hit the jamming part a bit into it.

Of the new songs I heard, Tropics and Spring were super strong. I'd like to hear Infancy again, but it didn't stand out to me like Tropics and Spring did.

Believe (Nobody Knows)

Mahgeetah

It's About Twilight Now

In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)

Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 1

I'm Amazed

Like A River

First Light

Master Plan

Spring (Among The Living)

Knot Comes Loose

Thin Line

Lowdown

Lay Low

Dondante

Encore:

Hillside Song

Tropics (Erase Traces)

Compound Fracture

Wordless Chorus

Victory Dance

Phone Went West

Note: Dancefloors was on the setlist but was not played

Does Jim use the omnichord (is that what it even is?) on any other songs besides Touch pt.2? He put it on during the encore, I think before Wordless Chorus, and it was off by the time Phone started. I don't recall seeing him using it. Really thought we were headed for a Wordless > Touch pt2.

Tremendous set list, Lay Low and Dondante back to back...wha a treat. And Phone Went West is top two for me (w/ Steam Engine) as far as live cuts go. So jealous.

Does Jim use the omnichord (is that what it even is?) on any other songs besides Touch pt.2? He put it on during the encore, I think before Wordless Chorus, and it was off by the time Phone started. I don't recall seeing him using it. Really thought we were headed for a Wordless > Touch pt2.
He uses it for Tonight I Want to Celebrate

Finally found the name of this awesome song I stumbled upon a few years back- One Big Holiday.

I downloaded the live version of this song a year or 2 ago and I loved it but did not know the name but I knew it was My Morning Jacket so in reference to Bloom stating live at a concert "My Morning Jacket killing it right now" I called the song "killing it" but finally found out the name One Big Holiday.

Another two amazing shows this week, you guys that are seeing them coming up are in for a treat. Columbus 1 was my personal favorite show of the three I've seen, but it's close. Part of it could be that I was 2nd row pit dead center and we went to the soundcheck party, both just surreal experiences. I think the soundcheck was worth the $20 and poster guys can't beat getting the show poster for $25 freshly signed by the band (they signed 195 of them).

Comparing these setlists you can probably see how the two nights contrasted, they were very different feeling shows. Cbus1 just cranked it up all night long and Cbus2 was more of a mind bender, although that encore brought the heat. Their jamming is so off the hook right now it's ridiculous -- War Begun, Steam Engine, Gideon, Circuital, and Lay Low come to mind from night one. Memories>Touch2>Phone was such an insane mind ####. I can also say I will never take Carl for granted again being 3rd row in front of him for Cbus2...he put on quite a show...he's really talented.

Cbus1

Soundcheck Party: Butch Cassidy, Where To Begin, Evelyn Is Not Real

Set: Mahgeetah, Compound Fracture, In Its Infancy (The Waterfall), Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 1, It Beats 4 U, Evil Urges, The Way That He Sings, Golden, War Begun, Lowdown, Thin Line, What a Wonderful Man, Nothing to It (The New Basement Tapes cover), Carried Away (Carl Broemel song), Steam Engine, Gideon
Encore: Bermuda Highway, Tropics (Erase Traces), Circuital, I'm Amazed, Lay Low

Cbus2

Set: Spring (Among The Living), The Dark, X-Mas Curtain, First Light, Wordless Chorus, Off the Record, Like A River, Wonderful (The Way I Feel), It's About Twilight Now, Aluminum Park, I Will Sing You Songs, Knot Comes Loose, Only Memories Remain, Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2, Phone Went West

Encore: Victory Dance, Holdin On to Black Metal, Anytime, One Big Holiday

Bobcat>Hey@!!#!@

I was at the Columbus1 show too!

ETA:

Who is going to the Beacon run in November?

:excited:

Bobcat>Hey@!!#!@

I was at the Columbus1 show too!

ETA:

Who is going to the Beacon run in November?

:excited:
Damn didn't know. Sick show, huh? We closed down some dive post show. Got after it way more than I anticipated...pretty #### canned.
Damn good. I've seen them a bunch, but I've never seen them in a theatre like that. It was a pretty special experience. I was standing right in front of Carl, literally resting my drink on the stage (I was at sound check too!)

Have a pretty sweet video of JJ's solo at the end War Begun that I will dig up.

ETA:

A spanking good time!

My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks last Friday was an incredible show. It was my first time seeing them perform live, and they definitely lived up to and exceeded my already high expectations going into the concert. They played for three full hours and performed a seven song encore. I thought it was amazing how much better MMJ sounds live than on their studio recorded albums. I can see why everyone says that you have to see them perform live. It was a truly epic night at Red Rocks. Here is a picture that I took at the show.

Here was MMJ's setlist at Red Rocks:

Wordless Chorus
Compound Fracture
Off the Record
Circuital
Believe (Nobody Knows)
Bermuda Highway
I’m Amazed
Evil Urges
Dondante

Lay Low
At Dawn
In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)
Gideon
Tropics (Erase Traces)
I Think I’m Going to Hell
Spring (Among the Living)
Anytime
Steam Engine / Only Memories Remain / Steam Engine
Phone Went West
Mahgeetah

Encore:

Wonderful (The Way I Feel) (with Brandi Carlile)
Victory Dance
Touch Me I’m Going to Scream Pt. 1
Touch Me I’m Going to Scream Pt. 2
Highly Suspicious
Run Thru
One Big Holiday

While there were many awesome moments during that show, we were losing our mind when they did Steam > Memories > Steam.

Jim jamming literally alone at the back of the stage during Dondante was great too. He was so dialed in.

Dondante > end jam of Lay Low rocked.

Their segues were fantastic.

Anyone interested in two tix Saturday night at the Orpheum in Boston? Going Friday but just got BC/ND Fenway tix for Sat so going to that instead. Cost $55 ea but don't care too much what I get for them, will give them away otherwise.

See the boys, minus JJ, are touring with Ray Lamontagne? Long tour. JJ helped produce the new album.

“I am very pleased to announce that the band for the upcoming “Ouroboros” Summer Tour will be Tommy Blankenship, Carl Broemel, Bo Koster, and Patrick Hallahan of My Morning Jacket.

We’ve been throwing this idea around for quite a few years now, and the stars have finally aligned. There has been such positive spiritual energy flowing throughout this entire project. From that first restless nights sleep when the album made itself clear to me, to the recording of the Album at La La Land Studio with Jim, to getting a call out of the blue ten months later that the Jacket boys wanted to back it up on the road.

There is some serious mojo surrounding this record and I think it’s going to be a very, very special run of shows”
Anything to see here? There is a show in Cleveland and littered all around me. I'm not familiar with Ray really at all. Does he always change backing bands?

See the boys, minus JJ, are touring with Ray Lamontagne? Long tour. JJ helped produce the new album.

“I am very pleased to announce that the band for the upcoming “Ouroboros” Summer Tour will be Tommy Blankenship, Carl Broemel, Bo Koster, and Patrick Hallahan of My Morning Jacket.

We’ve been throwing this idea around for quite a few years now, and the stars have finally aligned. There has been such positive spiritual energy flowing throughout this entire project. From that first restless nights sleep when the album made itself clear to me, to the recording of the Album at La La Land Studio with Jim, to getting a call out of the blue ten months later that the Jacket boys wanted to back it up on the road.

There is some serious mojo surrounding this record and I think it’s going to be a very, very special run of shows”
Anything to see here? There is a show in Cleveland and littered all around me. I'm not familiar with Ray really at all. Does he always change backing bands?
new song oozes JJ. should check it out.

seems like he has floated different bands as he has moved through various incarnations too (I have only listened a bit so far)

I will catch them at Newport by default.

JerseyToughGuys said:
Bobcat10 said:

new song oozes JJ. should check it out.

seems like he has floated different bands as he has moved through various incarnations too (I have only listened a bit so far)

I will catch them at Newport by default.
Yep, you're right. Just listened to it.

Trying to find a presale code online...everything I've seen hasn't worked. Gotta be out there.

Blistering set today at Jazzfest.

I caught 3 Paul Simon songs just to say I did at Main Stage and then told wife it was time to go get our faces melted. They delivered.

Smokin Purple Rain with Preservation Hall.

I can only imagine how awesome that was. Just finished listening to the entirety of At Dawn to finish a Boston to Erie PA drive, thinking how much I can't wait see them live again. 

Hopefully will be some video of that.  And I need to go look for Raspberry Beret from the other night.
AXS TV does have a short set from Jazz Fest for 15 minutes coming up at 1245AM Eastern.

Below is the full lineup of artists on the channel for day 3 of 5 for their coverage - The Revivalists are on now (1120PM Eastern).

The day 3 (Friday 4/29 show) will also be rebroadcast tomorrow (Saturday 4/30) starting at 100PM Eastern

AXS TV - Jazz Fest Coverage List

Blistering set today at Jazzfest.

I caught 3 Paul Simon songs just to say I did at Main Stage and then told wife it was time to go get our faces melted. They delivered.

Smokin Purple Rain with Preservation Hall.
Was an awesome show.  I didn't even feel like messing with Paul Simon.  

Not sure if you caught Bonerama's set, but they ####### destroyed on Paranoid Android and Misty Mountain Hop

Was an awesome show.  I didn't even feel like messing with Paul Simon.  

Not sure if you caught Bonerama's set, but they ####### destroyed on Paranoid Android and Misty Mountain Hop
I did see Bonerama - got a great pic of Matt's kid doing the Pete Townshend jump. Lots of fun at their set as usual.

Not sure about today...but going to see how it goes.  Stood in pouring rain during wild mags yesterday and that was fun. But then made a run for a tent.  Weather wasn't bad after waiting it out but Quint must have made some insurance money so they called it.

First time I ever saw these guys was opening for Wilco in Philly.  Was not familiar with them, but they soundchecked "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" (which sounded awesome and they did it in their set), so knew I would see something special.  Have to go see them as a headliner one of these days.

I did see Bonerama - got a great pic of Matt's kid doing the Pete Townshend jump. Lots of fun at their set as usual.

Not sure about today...but going to see how it goes.  Stood in pouring rain during wild mags yesterday and that was fun. But then made a run for a tent.  Weather wasn't bad after waiting it out but Quint must have made some insurance money so they called it.
not sure if you saw, but you can reuse your tickets from yesterday.  just reprint them from TM

First time I ever saw these guys was opening for Wilco in Philly.  Was not familiar with them, but they soundchecked "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" (which sounded awesome and they did it in their set), so knew I would see something special.  Have to go see them as a headliner one of these days.
Yes you do! Soooo good. 

I think they'll have a big tour again next year. Light this year and MMJ minus James is also touring with LaMontagne this summer as his backing band. They are still sitting on new material also.

Watched the Lock'n set on Saturday night.  Smokin' good, and I thought Jim's vocals were a little off early in the show too.  I thought possibly he was a little under the weather.  Four covers at a festival, two of them debuts, seems a little odd...but man they pulled it off.  

Users who are viewing this thread