What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TV Deals Thread (1 Viewer)

I'm up to 4 TCL Roku TVs in my house now and I absolutely love them.  I have 55" that I've kept outside (uncovered) for over 2 years now and zero issues.  The price points are ridiculous on them.  55" for $279, 75" for $999.
I have a 65” 6-series and a 49” 5-series model, and won the panel lottery on both. I am so happy with the picture and Roku integration, wouldn’t go back to another brand with the price & value that I get out of my TCL sets.

Just curious if someone could give me some TV tips.

I am not a big tech guy.  My TV is a 27 inch CRT from the 90s I think.  Not really sure.  Someone gave it to me when I helped them move 10 years ago or so.

Anyway, assume I want a pretty big TV.  40 inches seems pretty good to me.  And possibly something with a plug that can handle a fire stick or the equivalent.

I'm not wanting to spend a lot (maybe $200-$300).  But I'd like to get something with a good picture quality.  What options in that sort of bargain price range should I look at?  What brands?

My current TV still works fine.  But I'd like to get internet capability.  Also an improvement in picture quality if it's very noticeable.  I'm not in a hurry if a certain time of year is better deals but I'd rather move before Black Friday.

Edit I also have Costco.  Are all their TVs good?  Do they have ones in that bargain range?

Last edited by a moderator:

I am not a big tech guy.  My TV is a 27 inch CRT from the 90s I think.  Not really sure.  Someone gave it to me when I helped them move 10 years ago or so.

Anyway, assume I want a pretty big TV.  40 inches seems pretty good to me.  And possibly something with a plug that can handle a fire stick or the equivalent.

I'm not wanting to spend a lot (maybe $200-$300).  But I'd like to get something with a good picture quality.  What options in that sort of bargain price range should I look at?  What brands?

My current TV still works fine.  But I'd like to get internet capability.  Also an improvement in picture quality if it's very noticeable.  I'm not in a hurry if a certain time of year is better deals but I'd rather move before Black Friday.

Edit I also have Costco.  Are all their TVs good?  Do they have ones in that bargain range?
Does 40” even qualify as big nowadays?  Heck 80” are common now. Crazy. 

You want a Roku TV from TCL. Built in Roku and you can get a 50" for $250 or a 40" for under $200. Amazon is an easy option or if you shop Best Buy at the right time you might do better but it doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Does 40” even qualify as big nowadays?  Heck 80” are common now. Crazy. 
I guess not.  Big to me.

There are a lot of things and I'm not sure what are important.  4K, oled, led, smart, 720p, 1080p,. Hd, uhd, hdr.  That's my hope is to figure out that language and what is important to focus on and brand.

You want a Roku TV from TCL. Built in Roku and you can get a 50" for $250 or a 40" for under $200. Amazon is an easy option or if you shop Best Buy at the right time you might do better but it doesn't get much cheaper than that.
Thank you!

Is TCL a good brand?  I've never heard of them before.

I see 43" HDTV 1080p for $200 and a 50" 4k uhd 2160p for $250.  I'd lean towards smaller because I don't want a TV that takes tons of space but is the picture quality on the larger one enough of an improvement to jump up sizes?  I do like the idea of good picture quality.  I assume there have been pretty good improvements since my current TV.

Don't know the exact number but there are many here who have purchased a TCL TV over the past few years. Most are happy with them. I know I am. I don't recall anyone regretting buying one. There's more discussion on them in 4k TV thread.

Thank you!

I see 43" HDTV 1080p for $200 and a 50" 4k uhd 2160p for $250.  I'd lean towards smaller because I don't want a TV that takes tons of space but is the picture quality on the larger one enough of an improvement to jump up sizes?  I do like the idea of good picture quality.  I assume there have been pretty good improvements since my current TV.
TCL is an ok brand to most. It's far from the best and far from the worst. It's a bang-for-your-buck brand.

There are better options In the size you're looking for.

Best Buy 43" screens

Top 4 options are what I would look at and are in your price range.

Samsung 43" 4K Smart for $249

Toshiba 43" 4K Smart Fire TV for $239

Toshiba 43" 1080p Smart Fire TV (If you don't care about 4K and want to save $20) for $219

Insigina 43" 1080p (if you have or want to get your own streaming device) $199

The TCL 43" 4K Smart Roku would be the 5th choice but is more expensive than the above options at $259.

TCL is an ok brand to most. It's far from the best and far from the worst. It's a bang-for-your-buck brand.

Best Buy 43" screens

Toshiba 43" 1080p Smart Fire TV (If you don't care about 4K and want to save $20) for $219

The TCL 43" 4K Smart Roku would be the 5th choice but is more expensive than the above options at $259.
What is 4k?  Is it picture quality?

From the research I've done, the TCL 6 has as good a picture as the Samsung Q7, but nearly half the price. Where they cut corners is on the sound. Buying the TCL 6 and a sound bar is way cheaper than buying the Q7 from Samsung. 

Best Buy 43" screens

The only two the mfg their own panels in your ratings are Samsung and TCL. Personally, I'd stear clear of Toshiba and Insignia (Best Buy Brand).

ETA I'd look at TCL, Vizio and even LG over Toshiba or Insigina.

From the research I've done, the TCL 6 has as good a picture as the Samsung Q7, but nearly half the price. Where they cut corners is on the sound. Buying the TCL 6 and a sound bar is way cheaper than buying the Q7 from Samsung. 
Yeah it is the TCL 6 series that really shines in what you get for the money you spend. 

Screen resolution. It's how many pixels are on the screen for a more detailed picture.

4K is 4096 pixels x2160 pixels (8847360)

1080p is 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels (2073600)

There are not a lot of 4K video or TV options out there.
:confused: There is ton of 4k content now. Granted not any broadcast but Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc....most of the streaming services have a lots 4k content shows/movies now.

:confused: There is ton of 4k content now. Granted not any broadcast but Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc....most of the streaming services have a lots 4k content shows/movies now.
I mean, there's some, but it's still not a lot in comparison to FHD. 

For someone coming from a 27" CRT, I just didn't want to get his hopes up that every show he watched would be in 4K if he bought a 4K TV.

I mean, there's some, but it's still not a lot in comparison to FHD. 

For someone coming from a 27" CRT, I just didn't want to get his hopes up that every show he watched would be in 4K if he bought a 4K TV.
The only thing I watch that isn't 4k is broadcast. I wouldn't quantify Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO, Disney+ as some. :shrug: If he's looking for an internet connected TV he can stream all sorts of stuff at that point and seems interested in it.

Another question my stand is 3 feet I measured.  Online it said that will hold a 40" TV.  Does that sound right or was the website I found for older tvs?  Thanks for all the help.

Another question my stand is 3 feet I measured.  Online it said that will hold a 40" TV.  Does that sound right or was the website I found for older tvs?  Thanks for all the help.
Most 40" TVs are right at 3 feet wide, give or take an inch (depending how wide the bezel is). If you have nothing next to your stand, you could go larger depending on the TV and how close the stands are to the edge of the screen. The 43" Insignia listed above is 3 ft 2 in and has stands that are right at the edge, so the stands would hang off the sides of your stand a tiny bit. The 43" Samsung is also 3 ft 2 in, but the stands are in about 2 inches from the edge, so that would work on your stand if you have nothing next to it. Any 40" TV should fit on your stand without a problem.

40” is so tiny and it’s probably 20 lbs. Buy a simple wall mount for $25 and go bigger.  

40” is so tiny and it’s probably 20 lbs. Buy a simple wall mount for $25 and go bigger.  
If your TV stand is sturdy, you could put a 58" on there just fine. The base of the TV is probably under 24" and if centered properly will be good. Totally depends on the structural integrity of the stand rather than its width.

If your TV stand is sturdy, you could put a 58" on there just fine. The base of the TV is probably under 24" and if centered properly will be good. Totally depends on the structural integrity of the stand rather than its width.
Stand should be strong holding a TV that's over 50 pounds I bet.

By the way looked at TVs at Costco today.  The 40 inches are gigantic.  Didn't pull the trigger.  But probably soon.
My parents picked up the 55" series 6 yesterday...I think he said for $399.  I believe that's a pretty good deal but I was only shopping for series 4 & 5 over the past couple months.

Anyone finding anything exceptional out there? Guessed with shelter in place orders, folks would be taking the time to upgrade.
TCL 6 series. 65 inch is about $750. 75 inch is $1200. Screen is phenomenal. Remote sucks donkey balls. Sound is not good either. But you can use your phone as a remote (there's an app) and even with the sound bar/Subwoofer I paid $180 for, I still got a steal on the 75 inch the first weekend in March. I couldn't have timed it better other than maybe shorting oil stocks and buying stock in charmin. 

75 inch Samsung Q90R on sale at Best Buy for $2899, which is still a lot but we’ll below the $3999 MSRP.  Closing them out with release of 2020 models.

What would you do? 

I have 3 year old TV in my family room. Vizio 55 inch. Wasn't top of the line when I got it, but we're happy with it to date. We use it mostly with directv but have started to use the smart TV apps for Netflix and Amazon. For reasons unknown, TV Internet via wireless won't work as of this morning . I've done all of the troubleshooting. All other things in house have no problem with WiFi . Vizio support is essentially dead - no phone support and website support is completely shut down. 

Are there other ways to get wifi on the TV? Should I get chromecast or fire stick? Or look into new TV? 

What would you do? 

I have 3 year old TV in my family room. Vizio 55 inch. Wasn't top of the line when I got it, but we're happy with it to date. We use it mostly with directv but have started to use the smart TV apps for Netflix and Amazon. For reasons unknown, TV Internet via wireless won't work as of this morning . I've done all of the troubleshooting. All other things in house have no problem with WiFi . Vizio support is essentially dead - no phone support and website support is completely shut down. 

Are there other ways to get wifi on the TV? Should I get chromecast or fire stick? Or look into new TV? 
USB wifi dongle from Amazon for $15-$20, plug it into your USB port, bam wifi and Bob's Your Uncle. :)

Your other option is to just replace the Wifi card in the TV, it's actually a fun project.   I replaced a Wifi board in my Dell laptop, the laptop was about 3-4 years old, pretty easy and inexpensive.  I used a USB wifi dongle from Amazon until the replacement wifi card came in.  I also replaced a board (it was a totally different board) in my Sony TV about 1 - 1.5 years ago, it's pretty simple actually.   Here's a youtube video on how to replace a Wifi board in a Vizio.

USB wifi dongle from Amazon for $15-$20, plug it into your USB port, bam wifi and Bob's Your Uncle. :)

Your other option is to just replace the Wifi card in the TV, it's actually a fun project.   I replaced a Wifi board in my Dell laptop, the laptop was about 3-4 years old, pretty easy and inexpensive.  I used a USB wifi dongle from Amazon until the replacement wifi card came in.  I also replaced a board (it was a totally different board) in my Sony TV about 1 - 1.5 years ago, it's pretty simple actually.   Here's a youtube video on how to replace a Wifi board in a Vizio.
OK thanks.  I was angry last night and overthinking it to replace the TV.  That wifi dongle should get me by.   The wifi on my TV theoretically works as it it can see my home network, but I'm done farting around with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread