What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (12 Viewers)

I don't understand how you can have the G.O.A.T discussion about an ongoing show. I used to think Lost was brilliant, then the fifth season happened. There's still quite a bit that can happen that will influence BB's legacy, either positively or negatively.
Not trying to dog you at all, but how in the world could anyone think that Lost was brilliant? The writers and producers just went any way they desired with no real focal or end point. Nothing made sense and they left a ton of mysterys on the table. I checked out after 1.5 seasons. It was too cheesy.
How do you know that nothing made sense and they left a ton of mysterys on the table if you checked out after 1.5 seasons?
Because they never went back to them, they never resolved anything and kept introducing more crap. What the hell was the monster from the first season?
so you only gave the show 1.5 years and you're complaining that they didn't resolve everything in that time frame?Lost was a great show. It didn't realize all of it's potential....but it was still a great show.
yes thats correct.So was that the gimmick of the show that you had to watch all the seasons to figure out what was going on? So what was the monster for season 1? What the eff was the deal with the Polar Bears? It made no sense and was lazy. It was like the writers got high and wrote crap and then sat back and laughed their asses off at fans trying to dissect what was going on. "I got it, I got it, lets have the guys find a metal hatch and try to get in, then once they get in its ran but crazy numbers"
Yes there was closure to the smoke monster and to the polar bears. If I explained what they were to you without the context of the rest of the stuff that you missed it wouldn't make sense. Sorry you bailed early, you missed a great show...guess it just wasn't for you.

Prediction:

walt dead, chicken dead, mike dead, Jessie escapes and is redeemed. I'm going with my earlier prediction that the aeries arc is about walts destruction and Jessies redemption.

I’m just not seeing this show on that level. Just one too many “convenient coincidences” in the story imo.

Great show, but not quite there IMO.

I'd put this more on par with something like The Shield.
such as?
look, I feel almost dirty arguing the flaws of the best show on television. It is a great show. I'll just leave it at that. I want to enjoy this thread with you all for this upcoming season, not become the resident hater. :thumbup:
No, no - you said it, now deliver. What are the convenient coincidences? :) After all, we need something to discuss the next few days until it airs.
Oh come on. There are plenty.POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

-Nobody finds the cash Walt hid in the diaper box.

-Chicken stopping the twins from killing Walt after he snuck into his house.

-Walt going into the bar and sitting next to the father of the girl who OD'd.

-Conveniently, none of the workers at the laundry plant wonder why two white guys regularly go into some secret part of the facility for hours on end.

-Walt's BIL shows up just in time to save Walt and Jesse from getting killed by Tuco.

-There were several times when Tuco's uncle gave up Walt (ding! ding! ding!) but people couldn't connect the dots.

I’m just not seeing this show on that level. Just one too many “convenient coincidences” in the story imo.

such as?
look, I feel almost dirty arguing the flaws of the best show on television. It is a great show. I'll just leave it at that. I want to enjoy this thread with you all for this upcoming season, not become the resident hater. :thumbup:
No, no - you said it, now deliver. What are the convenient coincidences? :) After all, we need something to discuss the next few days until it airs.

-Conveniently, none of the workers at the laundry plant wonder why two white guys regularly go into some secret part of the facility for hours on end.

-Walt's BIL shows up just in time to save Walt and Jesse from getting killed by Tuco.

-There were several times when Tuco's uncle gave up Walt (ding! ding! ding!) but people couldn't connect the dots.
- meh I could see this happening plus its trivial

-- Walt was being watched. Chicekn man wanted Walt alive

-- Coincidencem but assuming it's the neighborhood old guy bar abd Walt was in Margolis' neighborhood

-- They didn't really need to be saved from Tuco

-- you may have to more specific. Uncle Tia certainly kept mum when the cops questioned him

such as?

Although Jane's dad and Walt sitting there are a bit of a stretch...and IMO, probably the weakest thing about the show. (The plane crash).

Tia never dinged to the cops. He's old school...he'll let the cartel handle it. I think Hank said as much.

Last edited by a moderator:

such as?

These are not good complaints, and show just how rock solid the story is.

such as?

Although Jane's dad and Walt sitting there are a bit of a stretch...and IMO, probably the weakest thing about the show. (The plane crash).

Tia never dinged to the cops. He's old school...he'll let the cartel handle it. I think Hank said as much.
Yep, the airplane crash is the only thing that really irked me. It helps remembering that Breaking Bad is fictional. That helps me get over these minor coincidences.

After several disappointments (looking at you The Killing, Falling Skies and Rescue Me), this couldn't have come at a better time! :popcorn:

Checking out from this thread. I'll see you guys after the season's over. Can't wait to plow through s04 once it's finished. Enjoy. :)

Are you asking me if I ordered the death of a child?

I would never ask you that.

Why not? Because it's disrespectful? Or because it doesn't matter? Or because he already knows the answer?

Are you asking me if I ordered the death of a child?I would never ask you that. Why not? Because it's disrespectful? Or because it doesn't matter? Or because he already knows the answer?
Dude, its Walt, he always knows what to say at the given time. The pause before he said it should have given you your answer.Hands down best show in TV history all things considered. From dialogue, to acting, to realism, to obscure comedy, to advancing the story without it getting stale. My only concern is if the producers get greedy and forget the cancer line in the story. The cancer angle is why all this has happened and the "remission" from last season hopefully only works for one season. I hope they dont milk the remission into multiple seasons and jump the shark.

This has been one of Aaron Paul's best performances and he hasn't said a word. The look of horror after the Gale shooting, the loathing after Gus's slash-job, just phenomenal.

such as?

Yep, the airplane crash is the only thing that really irked me. It helps remembering that Breaking Bad is fictional. That helps me get over these minor coincidences.
Come on. It took me two seconds to think of these. And I grant you they may not be significant but there are many, many moments that are farfetched. Doesn't mean it's not a good show. It's a great show but if you don't see numerous convenient coincidences and improbable scenes, you're just a shill. Nothing wrong with that either. It's the best TV on.MORE

-Nobody pokes around wondering why there's a hole in the ceiling of Jesse's house where, IIRC, a dead body had rotted through the ceiling joists or something like that.

-Parents won't disclose in sale that the house was previously a meth lab. Probably against the law.

-Neighbors in an expensive neighborhood don't have a problem with a 1970s POS RV being parked on the street/property.

-Walt and Jesse pull off an improbable heist to steal - by rolling - a 55 gallon drum of some meth-related stuff.

-Super BIL DEA Agent doesn't connect the dots - stolen meth gear from the high school, Walt's relationship with Jesse, picture of Walt as (can't recall Walt's meth name).

-Wife kept in the dark, learns of Walt's behavior and now actually wants to "reluctantly" participate in the scheme.

-How many improbable gratuitous hand job scenes are there? Those scenes serve as a reminder that this is fiction. Right? :unsure:

-Tuco has the tainted batch when he's kidnapped the two. He's about to take it. Everything looking good and then Jesse just happens to mention that he laces his stuff with chili powder, so he won't take it. And what was it that was on TV that they try so desperately to keep from Tuco and do successfully?

such as?

Come on. It took me two seconds to think of these. And I grant you they may not be significant but there are many, many moments that are farfetched. Doesn't mean it's not a good show. It's a great show but if you don't see numerous convenient coincidences and improbable scenes, you're just a shill. Nothing wrong with that either. It's the best TV on.MORE

-Nobody pokes around wondering why there's a hole in the ceiling of Jesse's house where, IIRC, a dead body had rotted through the ceiling joists or something like that.

-Parents won't disclose in sale that the house was previously a meth lab. Probably against the law.

-Neighbors in an expensive neighborhood don't have a problem with a 1970s POS RV being parked on the street/property.

-Walt and Jesse pull off an improbable heist to steal - by rolling - a 55 gallon drum of some meth-related stuff.

-Super BIL DEA Agent doesn't connect the dots - stolen meth gear from the high school, Walt's relationship with Jesse, picture of Walt as (can't recall Walt's meth name).

-Wife kept in the dark, learns of Walt's behavior and now actually wants to "reluctantly" participate in the scheme.

-How many improbable gratuitous hand job scenes are there? Those scenes serve as a reminder that this is fiction. Right? :unsure:

-Tuco has the tainted batch when he's kidnapped the two. He's about to take it. Everything looking good and then Jesse just happens to mention that he laces his stuff with chili powder, so he won't take it. And what was it that was on TV that they try so desperately to keep from Tuco and do successfully?
You're listing things you apparently find improbable. They aren't convenient coincidences used to move the plot. None of these call into question the credibility of the show. Some of them actually misrepresent how far the show was willing to go to avoid being sloppy. You think it's a convenient coincidence that Skylar came around to Walt's behavior? She spent an entire season hating him with every breath and doing everything she could to get away from him. The only reason she's going along now is to help Hank.

Just for Tanner.... Alan Sepinwall's first BB review of the season; hot off the press! :thumbup:

The long-awaited fourth season of "Breaking Bad" has finally begun. Earlier this week, I posted interviews with Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Betsy Brandt, a photographic tour of the show's sets and my overall review of the season's first three episodes. Now I have specific thoughts on "Box Cutter," the season premiere, coming up just as soon as we get matching Kenny Rogers t-shirts..."Well? Get back to work." -GusWhen a review describes a movie or TV show as "manipulative," it's almost always with a negative connotation. But most fiction is manipulative in some way. It's just a question of whether something was bad and manipulative (it made you feel emotions it hadn't earned, or you could tell what emotions it wanted you to feel, even though you didn't feel them) or good and manipulative."Breaking Bad" is constantly manipulative. Think about the reaction you had when Hank got the call that the Cousins would be approaching him within a minute, or when Walt stood and watched Jane choke to death in a manner he could have easily prevented, or when a tearful Jesse stood in Gale's doorway at the end of last season and prepared to commit his first murder. Those are reactions that Vince Gilligan and company wanted you to have and worked very hard to make you have. But they're also reactions the show earned through hard work, through execution, and through the patience to let us understand these characters well enough to believe what they're doing in these moments."Box Cutter" is manipulative in the extreme - and magnificently so. Rarely have I been as happy to have a show expertly tug on my strings as I was watching this. The creative has built to this moment over a long time, and they've earned the right to linger on every last detail, even if it makes the audience hold its breath as they do so.Just think about the many things that the episode (written by Gilligan and directed by Adam Bernstein) does to mess with our heads.It opens with Gale alive and well and working in the Super Lab, and whether or not you read the interview I did with Vince last year in which he confirmed that Jesse shot Gale (when the camera angle he used suggested he might have changed his aim at the last minute), it would be easy to imagine that he changed his mind over the long hiatus and couldn't bare to kill the guy (and the last shred of Jesse's innocence). Instead, it's another "Breaking Bad" flashback-as-short-story, as we get the origin of the Super Lab, as well as Gus's reason for hiring Walt, with the entire scene laced with dread as Gale slowly but surely talks his way into the grave with his insistence that Gus needs to employ the man who makes the blue meth.The rest of the story with Walt and Jesse and Gus is remarkably simple - so simple, in fact, that the episode has to take a few extended interludes with Skyler and/or Marie so it's not just an hour of Walt and Jesse sitting around and waiting for Gus to show up and make his decision. And yet the execution of those scenes in the Super Lab is so good, and so tense, that I almost could imagine a version of the episode where we never see the women at all.The ways in which the episode teases things out and makes us wait is fabulous. Jesse doesn't speak at all for nearly 40 minutes of the commercial-less running time (and then only for a blackly comic callback to their botched attempt to dispose of Emilio's body way back in the series' second episode). Though he speaks a bit in the flashback to much happier, more peaceful times, Gus says all of five words in the present-day scenes. We spend a long time just watching Victor move confidently through the lab, showing just how well he learned to work the equipment from watching Walt, Jesse and Gale.And in a move so ballsy and so brilliant that I actually started giggling the second time they did it, the episode devotes nearly four minutes of screen time (albeit with Walt ranting through part of it) to watching Gus Fring get dressed and undressed... TWICE (and with the care, patience and precision we've come to expect from the Chicken Man), with the second time coming as we've all been left, like Walt and Mike, slack-jawed and stunned by what Gus just did to Victor.That sort of thing can come across as self-indulgent, or as a show understanding exactly how all its parts work and how its audience will respond to those parts. Suffice it to say, "Breaking Bad" is a show that knows what it's doing, and is doing it brilliantly.Think about it: we know Walt can't die in the season premiere, that great as Aaron Paul is, the show isn't going to suddenly reconfigure itself around Jesse. And we're pretty damn sure that Jesse will survive, as well. In fact, the only character in that room not played by a series regular is Victor, and the rules of TV math say that if 5 people are placed in a potentially-deadly situation and only one of them is a guest star, the guest star's gonna get it. And yet it's still a complete shock when Gus slits Victor's throat with the titular box cutter(*).(*) Isn't it amazing to see how differently an object can be perceived depending on who's holding it? In Gale's hand, the box cutter is another wonderful part of the giant toy store that is the Super Lab for him. The second Gus picks it up, though...It helps, of course, to be working with a bunch of world-class actors in this scenario - to have Cranston and Paul and Giancarlo Esposito and Jonathan Banks be able to say so much when they're not saying anything at all. Everyone's reaction to Victor's murder is just perfect: Gus wants to be damn sure that his audience doesn't miss a moment of this, nor the look of cold, remorseless power in his eyes. Seen-it-all Mike is horrified and shaken that his boss would throw away a trusted employee like Victor just to send a message to these two screw-ups (and also worried if Gus might on day be pulling a box cutter on him). Walt (who has already seen his world reshape itself every five minutes for the last few hours, with the balance of power constantly shifting from his side to Gus's) becomes so small and terrified, once again reminded of just how much he underestimates the ruthlessness of others in the drug world.And Jesse? Jesse finally wakes the hell up from the guilt-ridden stupor he's been in since shooting Gale in the face. Gus wanted him to pay attention, and Jesse's finally doing exactly that.I talked last season about how the writers seemed to be putting more and more of the dialogue and monologues into Paul's capable hands, while leaning on Cranston's ability to convey Walt's emotions through silence. For this hour, at least, they switched. Jesse doesn't talk at all until after Victor's dead and Gus is gone, and it's left to Walt to do virtually all the talking as he tries - unnecessarily, as it turns out - to talk his way out of this. Usually, Walt under stress turns into Heisenberg - becomes colder and tougher and more ruthless - but here he's stuck as plain ol' Walter White: bitter and full of false bravado that's fooling no one, least of all Walt himself.(**) Even though we want Walt to survive this mess, and we understand that he's fighting for his life here, it's remarkable how the show is still able to paint him as a petty clown in those moments.(**) Loved Victor remembering the aluminum and shutting down Walt's little color commentary. If only a baseball player had the ability to do that to Joe Morgan or Tim McCarver.What a fantastic hour. Everything is settled and yet nothing is. Walt is convinced Gus will try to kill them again at the first opportunity, while Jesse believes it would be too hard for Gus to find another chemist. Jesse seems remarkably steady as he consumes a large Denny's meal, yet we saw him sitting in his car, borderline-catatonic, after the shooting; going from one extreme to the other is not healthy.One thing we do know: after the third season ended on such an incredible high note, it would have been easy for this episode to disappoint. But even though it's been more than a year, the incredible momentum continues, and thank "Breaking Bad"ness for that.Some other thoughts:• Loved the use of Alexander Ebert's "Truth," with its very Spaghetti Western-style intro, to cover Walt's long, awkward walk back to his car at the end of the episode.• In addition to Gale being alive and well in the opening flashback, that glimpse of the bullet hole in the tea kettle in his apartment also briefly made me wonder if Vince had changed his mind. Instead, the bullet went straight out the back of poor Gale's head and through one of his beloved kitchen gadgets. And brought the cops in to find his incriminating lab notebook. Uh-oh.• Skyler's trip to Hank's condo didn't turn up anything, because it's a cold, empty place devoice of any personal effects (other than the judgmental doll's eye, currentl rolling around a kitchen drawer), but it did show Skyler continuing to slowly break bad herself, here using little Holly as a prop to help guilt the locksmith into breaking into the place for her.• Meanwhile, you can absolutely understand why Marie had to brace herself before going back into the house, because Casa Schrader is a very unpleasant place, and Hank a very unhappy patient (and suddenly a collector of rocks/"minerals").• Nor are things much happier at Saul Goodman's office, where our trusty lawyer has gone into full paranoid melt-down at realizing where Mike's true loyalties lie, and how much danger he could be in because of Walt and Jesse.• Re: the matching apparel the guys were in for the final scenes, it would have ruined that wonderful cut from the blood being mopped up to some ketchup being swirled at Denny's, but I almost wish we could have seen Mike buying the guys their new non-bloody clothes just to see the look on his face as he settled on the Kenny Rogers shirts.

such as?

You're listing things you apparently find improbable. They aren't convenient coincidences used to move the plot. None of these call into question the credibility of the show. Some of them actually misrepresent how far the show was willing to go to avoid being sloppy. You think it's a convenient coincidence that Skylar came around to Walt's behavior? She spent an entire season hating him with every breath and doing everything she could to get away from him. The only reason she's going along now is to help Hank.
:lmao: Please.SPOILER BELOW

Ok, here's another. Jesse goes to rehab meeting, meets up with a chick, who happens to have a younger brother who was on the streets working a corner. He and this chick become an item, when he learns that this same little brother is the kid who shot his buddy dead a season or two earlier. I mean come on.

Are you asking me if I ordered the death of a child?I would never ask you that. Why not? Because it's disrespectful? Or because it doesn't matter? Or because he already knows the answer?
Dude, its Walt, he always knows what to say at the given time. The pause before he said it should have given you your answer.Hands down best show in TV history all things considered. From dialogue, to acting, to realism, to obscure comedy, to advancing the story without it getting stale. My only concern is if the producers get greedy and forget the cancer line in the story. The cancer angle is why all this has happened and the "remission" from last season hopefully only works for one season. I hope they dont milk the remission into multiple seasons and jump the shark.
:shrug: I had cancer... but I'm cancer free now. "Remission" doesn't mean "one season, and then he'll die". Of course, there's probably a good chance that will figure prominently again in the story somehow... don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Sandeman said:
'Apple Juice said:
'Sandeman said:
'Major said:
'Thunderlips said:
'Sandeman said:

such as?

:lmao: Please.SPOILER BELOW

Ok, here's another. Jesse goes to rehab meeting, meets up with a chick, who happens to have a younger brother who was on the streets working a corner. He and this chick become an item, when he learns that this same little brother is the kid who shot his buddy dead a season or two earlier. I mean come on.
You are both getting stuff wrong, missing some of the points of these "coincidences," and calling some things coincidences that aren't far fetched. A couple examples:- Why would someone look in a diaper box before the baby arrived? Doesn't seem far-fetched to me.

- Walt sitting next to the dad didn't advance the plot at all. It wasn't necessary, and therefore it's not a "convenient" coincidence. It was a deliberate move to show how all our lives cross. You can dislike that if you want, but that doesn't make it a convenient coincidence.

- Why would workers care about two white guys entering the building? There's a ton of people I pass every day around my office and I have no idea what they do. You're assuming people are inherently suspicious and assume there are criminal conspiracies around them in their everyday lives. They do not.

- People don't disclose things in real estate offerings all the time, because there's tens of thousands of dollars at stake.. It's stupid to complain about that as a "convenient coincidence."

- I don't understand why it's weird that nobody notices the hole in the ceiling. How could they unless they were in the house?

I could go on and on with stuff you listed that's either not the much of a coincidence or isn't "convenient" in that it wasn't needed to move the story forward.

Like others have said,all the coincidences leading to the plane crash were a little beyond the pale, and I'll give you Hank showing up just in time to save them from Tuco as pushing it a bit, too. But those are the only two you listed that push suspension of disbelief at all, IMO. The rest is just standard storytelling stuff; people's lives intersecting, people catching good and bad breaks, people getting away with crimes or getting caught due to circumstances, etc. If you don't like the standard staples of fiction, maybe a mall security tape or sitting on a park bench watching ducks or something is more to your liking?

Users who are viewing this thread