Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:


And this popcorn thing....  Is it like they actually say, "I popcorn to Krista?"

:yes:  :X 

Edited by krista4
  • Laughing 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Someone said this to me in an email yesterday.  He did preface by saying it was "cheesy," but that doesn't let him off the hook.

I didn't come in the thread to report that, though.  I came in to see if "popcorn" has been discussed regarding its usage in meetings?  For anyone not having the pleasure to experience it, it's a way of passing the baton.  For instance, yesterday in a meeting our "icebreaker" was to talk about how you cool off in the summer.*  When each person is done talking, they "popcorn" to someone else in the room by naming them as the next to go.

*Icebreakers in meetings are dumb, too.

reaction.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I hope you just casually got up, opened up a window and jumped.....

:lmao:  It was an online meeting, and I "coincidentally" had technical difficulties a few minutes in, which were miraculously resolved at just about the time the popcorning ended.

ETA:  Sadly this popcorning thing has been coming up for a few months, though.

Edited by krista4
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, krista4 said:
11 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Did you throat punch him anyways?

And this popcorn thing....  Is it like they actually say, "I popcorn to Krista?"

:yes:  :X 

more reaction. 

please ...you have to ask this person that started this where they heard of such a thing being called "popcorning"

...and why is he feels compelled to use an "icebreaker" 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

more reaction. 

please ...you have to ask this person that started this where they heard of such a thing being called "popcorning"

...and why is he feels compelled to use an "icebreaker" 

No idea who started either of these.  They're both all over my meetings now.  I mean, not a regular meeting, but all of the team meetings, department meetings, cross-department meetings, etc. that are regularly scheduled on the calendar. 

I had to lead one in May where I was forced to use an icebreaker, so I made it an elementary school show-and-tell.  That one was actually fun for everyone, because I rock.  It happened to be May 4th so there was a lot of Star Wars memorabilia shared.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

It happened to be May 4th so there was a lot of Star Wars memorabilia shared.

those who allow and support this kind of behavior to continue are to be held as guilty as the "now faceless originators".  

good on you for surreptitiously thumbing your nose at this wretched practice - pretty funny to have the entire horde totally embrace it

the use of Star Wars memorabilia by this crowd then becomes the most unsurprising part of this horrific experience. 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

No idea who started either of these.  They're both all over my meetings now.  I mean, not a regular meeting, but all of the team meetings, department meetings, cross-department meetings, etc. that are regularly scheduled on the calendar. 

I had to lead one in May where I was forced to use an icebreaker, so I made it an elementary school show-and-tell.  That one was actually fun for everyone, because I rock.  It happened to be May 4th so there was a lot of Star Wars memorabilia shared.

Did you show all the houses you've bought and sold?

  • Laughing 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, krista4 said:

When each person is done talking, they "popcorn" to someone else in the room by naming them as the next to go.

 

This might actually be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

At my age I'm not sure I could ever go back to a corporate environment. If some young wank tried that on me I'd have to laugh in their face. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, krista4 said:
2 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:


And this popcorn thing....  Is it like they actually say, "I popcorn to Krista?"

:yes:  :X 

Edited 2 hours ago by krista4

Make it a drinking game next time, but dont share the booze. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

“methinks” and “full stop” make me stabby for some reason

Methinks I use that one from time to time.  :bag: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

this dooshbaggery borders on neccesitating public floggings, if not outright prison sentences. 

 

🧑‍🦯 <-  caning 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" in a meeting just before we all started working from home last March.  There seemed to be stunned silence before one person asked what that meant.  ??  I assumed this was a widely known phrase that wouldn't cause confusion, nor stabby reactions.  None of the ~10 people in the room had heard it before (Midwest, ages between 35-60).  🤔

Fast forward and it now seems to constantly be used in departmental circles.  I blame myself and cringe inside when I hear it.  I even read it on a coworker's slide presentation recently.  The phrase was fine...now I want it to die a slow death.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, krista4 said:

Someone said this to me in an email yesterday.  He did preface by saying it was "cheesy," but that doesn't let him off the hook.

I didn't come in the thread to report that, though.  I came in to see if "popcorn" has been discussed regarding its usage in meetings?  For anyone not having the pleasure to experience it, it's a way of passing the baton.  For instance, yesterday in a meeting our "icebreaker" was to talk about how you cool off in the summer.*  When each person is done talking, they "popcorn" to someone else in the room by naming them as the next to go.

*Icebreakers in meetings are dumb, too.

Just reading this made me want to bang my head on a wall.  I can't imagine what would happen if someone tried this in a meeting I was forced to attend.   Also, would drinking a big glass of bourbon be an acceptable demonstration of how to cool off in this context?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, krista4 said:

I didn't come in the thread to report that, though.  I came in to see if "popcorn" has been discussed regarding its usage in meetings?  For anyone not having the pleasure to experience it, it's a way of passing the baton.  For instance, yesterday in a meeting our "icebreaker" was to talk about how you cool off in the summer.*  When each person is done talking, they "popcorn" to someone else in the room by naming them as the next to go.

Mr R's reaction to this would curdle milk.  The look of scorn was palpable.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Stan

It's apparently a combination of fan and stalker. Used when very excited/obsessed over something. Some say it's also a tribute to the Eminem song.

Even worse is when it's used as a verb. "Simone Biles is the greatest gymnast ever. I stan." :X

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2021 at 12:28 PM, arrow1 said:

I received a letter at my office that began:  "Dear Gentlepersons"

If you ever watch the Senate in session on C-SPAN, they will refer to female senators as gentleladies, as in "the gentlelady from New York votes aye".

(Also why are you watching C-SPAN? What the hell is wrong with you?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 11:17 AM, Getzlaf15 said:

team work makes the dream work



Throat punch worthy.

Day after Easter 2019, my niece's husband (~55yo) had an aneurysm/stroke.  He somehow survived a brain bleed that should have killed him, and has spent 2+ years re-learning to walk, talk, etc.

His wife and sons adopted this phrase as something of a mantra to get them through the long rehab process. I have a bit of a soft spot for it now. I may even have a t-shirt with it printed on the sleeve.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

Day after Easter 2019, my niece's husband (~55yo) had an aneurysm/stroke.  He somehow survived a brain bleed that should have killed him, and has spent 2+ years re-learning to walk, talk, etc.

His wife and sons adopted this phrase as something of a mantra to get them through the long rehab process. I have a bit of a soft spot for it now. I may even have a t-shirt with it printed on the sleeve.

Pass approved.

  • Like 7
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Vibes. I admit I enjoyed it at first and I do think it describes something well but at this point it’s just too much. We have to come up with other ways of describing the feeling you get from something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Vibes. I admit I enjoyed it at first and I do think it describes something well but at this point it’s just too much. We have to come up with other ways of describing the feeling you get from something. 

Marimbas?

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...