What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (2 Viewers)

These two sentences are from a single email I received today:

"With the strengthened focus on visualization and new tools, an ask was made of management to identify people on their teams who could take on the role and:

Some asks from the analyst forum being worked on are a group email for the Data Team and maybe some office hours. "

So "ask" is now used to mean both "request" and "question"? This email made me want to punch this lady in the iThroat. I think this just sounds completely ignorant and is a basic butchering of the English language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get rid of CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, Washington Post , and NY Times then we can get rid of that one
do people really believe that news is "fake"?

i'm so far removed from the lunatic fringe that i haven't heard anyone profess this as an actual belief

These two sentences are from a single email I received today:

"With the strengthened focus on visualization and new tools, an ask was made of management to identify people on their teams who could take on the role and:

Some asks from the analyst forum being worked on are a group email for the Data Team and maybe some office hours. "

So "ask" is now used to mean both "request" and "question"? This email made me want to punch this lady in the iThroat. I think this just sounds completely ignorant and is a basic butchering of the English language.
There is one guy I work with that uses it all the time.  I am trying to come up with a way to address it without sounding confrontational.

There is one guy I work with that uses it all the time.  I am trying to come up with a way to address it without sounding confrontational.
Does that same guy also like to call powerpoint presentations "decks"?  

Way too many people hear a few $5 dollar consultant-speak words and try to throw them around to appear smart.  It never works.  

I overheard our meter reader's safety conference call the other day and their mid-level boss used the phrase "level set" 11 times in five minutes. I was shuked.

This is more grammar Nazi but..

If you're making reference to something you're alluding to it, you're not eluding to it.

If you're trying to escape something, then you're attempting to elude it.
You want grammar Nazi?  I hate it when people say, "mixing together".  As opposed to mixing apart?  Same for gather together.  Ghah.

You want grammar Nazi?  I hate it when people say, "mixing together".  As opposed to mixing apart?  Same for gather together.  Ghah.
Well, you could partially mix things, making the whole therefore "non-homogenous" and thus not actually "together."

A group that's milling around could gather in multiple smaller groups and not be "together."

Also, I think I've pointed this out before, but I keep seeing it everywhere. The opposite of accidentally is not purposefully. It's purposely.

Need some enlightenment here.  My 13 year old started saying this over the weekend, but I couldn't tell from context what it was supposed to mean.
it has been around for a long time but recently (the last year??) has blown up in popularity. i see it all over the sneaker community. seems to be big on reddit.

Users who are viewing this thread