Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Music that you stumbled onto or took a chance on....

This pertains to your experience in relation to the music. For example, around 1990, I bought The Police - The Singles CD. Everybody else knew of them, but I didn't. So for me it was a pleasant surprise that introduced me to the band. There also weren't any other 12 year olds listening to the Police in those days.

Biggie Smalls around 94. Just took a chance on it and immediately loved it. I remember it being several months before everybody else caught on.

Bone Thugz & Harmony. My friends and I were on to them waaaay before they blew up. I think we were listening to them for well over a year before they blew up to the masses. By the time they were on the radio, we were actually tired of them.

many years ago was looking for Hybrid (the electronic band from Wales) on Napster. Accidentally happened upon "Hybrid Theory", the as yet unreleased album by Linkin Park. At the time it was a very nice find.

Two in one day:

I was hanging out with a bud in Burlington VT and picked up a Mitch Woods And His Rocket 88s album in the fifty cent bin of a used record store. Later that night we saw a local band called Phish at Nectar's that we thought had potential. :(

The Shins. Liked their song 'New Slang' from The Garden State soundtrack so I checked out the cd. Thought it was brilliant so I checked out the other two. Both were brilliant. Now I listen to them all the time.

Pandora.com has really broadened my music tastes. If I had to give one answer: Imogen Heap is incredible (including her work as part of Frou Frou).

:sleep:i got my balls busted for this on here before.in recent memory: the high violets and cut copy

I thought John Mayer was lame until I read the pimping of his music on these boards. I decided to give some of his stuff besides the early sap a try, and got hooked immediately. Dude's gonna be around a long time.

Blues Traveler - Got their first CD as free gift for signing up for a credit card freshman year of college.

Jamie Cullum - Local rock station had "Get Your Way" in their rotation several years ago.

Shooter Jennings - Opened up for .38 Special at a free concert at Talladega a few years ago.

In spring of 1994, I bought Counting Crows - August and Everything After at the local Best Buy on a total whim. I didn't know anything about them at all other than the Mr. Jones single. Fifteen years later they are still my favorite band.

Been a hip hop fan since '86. In college ('94-'98), everyone loved the Dave Matthews Band. I hated them just because everyone loved them. I mocked and made fun of those that liked them. After a few years, I started listening to them 'cause my wife was in to them. So, in order to get more nookie, I started listening to them. And now I am an avid fan. I've joined their fan group, read many articles about them on the internet, am a facebook fan group member, mourned the loss of Leroi Moore, etc. I can't wait to get the new studio CD. I won't travel from city to city for their spring/summer tour like many others, but I will make an attempt to go to the most local concert. This year, they'll be a headliner at the SF Outside Lands Music and Art Festival. I am bummed that they aren't having their own concert like they normally do in the Bay Area. Oh well.

Was in Steamboat Springs, CO on Spring Break snowboarding trip in 95 or 96 and needed some new music to listen to while boarding.

Hit a local mom & pop record store and asked the guy for 2 funk/jazz fusion CDs I'd never heard before. He gave me:

Galactic - "Coolin Off"

Brooklyn Fun Essentials - "(forget the name)"

BFE was solid but unspectacular.

That disc by Galactic didn't leave my CD player for a long long time... still one of my favorites.

:goodposting:

miles davis.

back in high school, i was trying to impress this girl i was interested in. she mentioned that she loved jazz. i told her i would take her to a show. it just so happened that miles was playing a gig in town. i decided to take her to it because it seemed like the best thing going. it was a total, wonderful mind####.

Biggie Smalls around 94. Just took a chance on it and immediately loved it. I remember it being several months before everybody else caught on. Bone Thugz & Harmony. My friends and I were on to them waaaay before they blew up. I think we were listening to them for well over a year before they blew up to the masses. By the time they were on the radio, we were actually tired of them.

Were you and your buddies those people who boasted about liking artists "before they were big," and then acted snobbish toward the late adapters?

Biggie Smalls around 94. Just took a chance on it and immediately loved it. I remember it being several months before everybody else caught on. Bone Thugz & Harmony. My friends and I were on to them waaaay before they blew up. I think we were listening to them for well over a year before they blew up to the masses. By the time they were on the radio, we were actually tired of them.

Were you and your buddies those people who boasted about liking artists "before they were big," and then acted snobbish toward the late adapters?
Not at all. I'm usually late to the party with music. Funny, I do know somebody just like that. I'll tell him about some song I like or recently heard for the first time, and he'll say, " Yeah, welcome to 2007." or some other snobby comment.

Not at all. I'm usually late to the party with music. Funny, I do know somebody just like that. I'll tell him about some song I like or recently heard for the first time, and he'll say, " Yeah, welcome to 2007." or some other snobby comment.
Yeah, I hate people like that. Back in high school, there was this loser who used to get all high & mighty about all the local bands... all of whom sucked and never made it anywhere. He'd get all arrogant if anyone else dared go to a show to check any of them out.

In the late 80's I was at SXSW in Austin and went to see Dash Riprock. The band playing before them was Mano Negra and became one of my favorite bands of all time. I had never heard of them before that day. They were a bunch of kids then - high energy funky songs sung in spanish, french and english. The band broke up many years ago, but their leader Manu Chao is still making great music and I own every thing he's ever done.

In the late 80's I was at SXSW in Austin and went to see Dash Riprock. The band playing before them was Mano Negra and became one of my favorite bands of all time. I had never heard of them before that day. They were a bunch of kids then - high energy funky songs sung in spanish, french and english. The band broke up many years ago, but their leader Manu Chao is still making great music and I own every thing he's ever done.

Nice new avatar Max. Your boys were robbed yesterday.

netflixed the movie Once... knew nothing about the film other than it got good reviews. After watching it, i couldnt get enough of Glen Hansard. His music is great.

He's a massive doosh, though. The success has really gone to his head. We went to their show when they were touring after Once became such a hit, and he lectured the audience about how rude we were, because some people weren't paying super close attention to some song that Marketa did (it was new, and not very good, and the bass in the tune really drowned out her voice). My BIL went to a show in LA, and said something similar happened at that one, too.On topic, I recently got turned on to Son Volt after hearing a song of theirs at a friend's house.

Ozomatli. Wife took me to see some Drew Barrymore movie where they performed a song in it and I loved the eclectic mix of their sound. Great band.

Also a chick in college used to love Morcheeba. I liked them for a while...not that much anymore.

Lyle Lovett - bought Joshua Judges Ruth on a whim about 8 or so years ago. Before that I never realized he was a freakin' musical genius. Now I have everything he's done - except for the Dr. T stuff.

Awesome album, I bought it after hearing "Church" on the Tonight Show or Letterman in about '92. I've been a fan ever since.

Blanche - Little Amber Bottles

Got a free track off this album from emusic. Went ahead and downloaded the rest. One of the best alt-country albums I've ever heard.

Same with Whiskey Myers - Road of Life. The best Lynyrd Skynyrd album ever made by someone other than Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I read an article in the local Charlotte NC Creative Loafing about a guy named Junior Brown... he sounded pretty cool, so I went to see him at a local show. It was awesome... and I have been a fan since.

Went to an outdoor festival with a bunch of mostly radio bands and a few unknowns (late 90's). Among the bands that played was a small 4 piece out of Maryland, named Clutch. Blew everyone else off the stage and they have been my favorite band ever since.

In 2000, I went to a buddy of mine's wedding. The night before he says he has 4 tickets to a concert that night(we had the bachelor party the night before) so we went even though I'd never heard of the band. The band was Queens of the Stone Age and it was arguably the best live show I've ever been to and now they are my favorite band of this decade.

Spin Magazine had a year end issue that included some famous musicians recommendations of new music from that year.

John Popper of Blues Traveler referred to Morphine's "Cure For Pain" by saying he got in a friend's car to go somewhere about 5 minutes away. This was the CD that was playing and he made the guy keep driving until the album played all the way through.

"Cure For Pain" is probably in my personal top 10 CDs of all time

Same year had Bob Mould recommending the new EP from the band Jack O Nuts

When I opened up the CD case I knew it wasn't going to be good.

The art on the actual CD was a mirror image of a silhouette (one on each side of the center hole) of a naked guy's profile with a flying V doing a pose like this.

The Jack O Nuts EP is definitely in my personal bottom 10 CDs of all time

I was ordering a Bleu Edmonson CD on Amazon. They had the "others who ordered this liked this" thing going on. I ordered Ryan Bingham off of that list. I now like Ryan Bingham much better then Bleu Edmonson.

Bingham's second disc is being released 6/1/09.

Too much to name individual acts. My only live music find is the Oranges Band, who I heard for free when I lived in their home town of Baltimore.

These mix tape threads are great places to find some music to take a chance on:

70s

80s

90s

When I was in High School checking out some 7 inches. I caught this real cool record with a 1950's style cartoon. The band name was after a Dictators song....As soon as I heard them I realized I was listening to the what came to be the greatest Garage Rock Band of all time...TEENGENERATE!

Boy, I'm glad I got to see them when they were around.

Archived