What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (5 Viewers)

Has anyone in any sport ever gone from being head-and shoulders better than anyone else to not even being able to win a single match? Without it beiong the result of an injury? I can't think of a single one.

Has anyone in any sport ever gone from being head-and shoulders better than anyone else to not even being able to win a single match? Without it beiong the result of an injury? I can't think of a single one.
Tiger's won "matches" even though there's only a couple match play events a year, and he's also had injuries. Are you talking about someone else?

He will make you naysayers look FOOLISH in the coming years. Might want to delete your negative posts now to save face.

He is 35 years old. That's ancient for a running back or a point guard. For a golfer, he's barely into his prime.

He just lost his wife and kids, was publicly humiliated, and he's hurt. Throwing dirt on him now is comical.

He will make you naysayers look FOOLISH in the coming years. Might want to delete your negative posts now to save face.He is 35 years old. That's ancient for a running back or a point guard. For a golfer, he's barely into his prime.He just lost his wife and kids, was publicly humiliated, and he's hurt. Throwing dirt on him now is comical.
:no:Look how many majors Nicklaus won when he was 35 and younger, compared to how many he won after.Tiger is at the tail end of his prime right now. And his body is breaking down physically. And the pga now tests for perfomance enhancers. He'll probably win a major or 2 the rest of his career, but it looks bleak as far as Tiger breaking Nicklaus's major record is concerned.

He will make you naysayers look FOOLISH in the coming years. Might want to delete your negative posts now to save face.He is 35 years old. That's ancient for a running back or a point guard. For a golfer, he's barely into his prime.He just lost his wife and kids, was publicly humiliated, and he's hurt. Throwing dirt on him now is comical.
He's a ham & egger now.

:goodposting:

He will make you naysayers look FOOLISH in the coming years. Might want to delete your negative posts now to save face.

He is 35 years old. That's ancient for a running back or a point guard. For a golfer, he's barely into his prime.

He just lost his wife and kids, was publicly humiliated, and he's his ego is hurt. Throwing dirt on him now is comical.
Fixed it for youAnd he didn't lose his wife and kids. Saying that means that they were killed tragically. He forced his wife to go and to take the kids with her. Big difference. Big big big.

Publicly humiliated because he likes skanky women and he got caught so whatever humiliation happened to him, he brought on himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

He just lost his wife and kids, was publicly humiliated, and he's his ego is hurt. Throwing dirt on him now is comical.
Fixed it for youAnd he didn't lose his wife and kids. Saying that means that they were killed tragically. He forced his wife to go and to take the kids with her. Big difference. Big big big.

Publicly humiliated because he likes skanky women and he got caught so whatever humiliation happened to him, he brought on himself.
Are you saying he's faking his injuries? Because otherwise your fix is really not a fix.

Has anyone in any sport ever gone from being head-and shoulders better than anyone else to not even being able to win a single match? Without it beiong the result of an injury?
Much of the focus is on his mental game ... but are we positive Woods is not physically compromised? And in a way that doesn't really heal up fully? In a way where his body heals up enough to play, but without the peak physical ability he once had? Has he been fiddling with his swing to compensate for something he can no longer physically manage?

i would never count this dude out. You don't win 14 majors without having something just different about your mental makeup. He'll get over this and he'll come back and win some more. Might not break Jacks records, but even if he quit the game today he goes down as the 2nd best golfer in history.

Wow. I just lost a lot of respect for Tiger. I used to think he was the toughest guy on tour.

Tiger's future even more uncertain after WD from Players Championship

By Michael Bamberger, Senior Writer, Sports IllustratedPublished: May 12, 2011Print E-mail Twitter Facebook Digg Delicious StumbleUpon More

Robert Beck/SITiger Woods withdrew from the Players Championship after a front-nine 42.RelatedTiger Woods withdraws from Players for second consecutive year

More tours & news articles

GalleriesMore galleries

Tiger Woods

Life in Pictures

Chronology of Tiger's Injuries

Tiger's Home Practice Course

Tiger's Major Championships

Special Features

Tiger Woods Homepage

Subscribe Now! PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — When anybody else makes a triple bogey on a Thursday morning, nobody cares. When Tiger Woods makes a triple bogey on a Thursday morning, everybody talks about it. Butch Harmon, Woods's former teacher, was walking the TPC Sawgrass course Thursday morning, following Nick Watney, checking scores in a grove of trees on his cell phone. He saw Woods's bogey on the first, his triple on the fourth, his bogey on the fifth. Before it was over, Woods shot 42. "I was surprised to see him play here," Harmon said. "I'll be surprised if he plays the U.S. Open."

That's where this WD is going. Will Tiger play in the U.S. Open at Congressional in June? Will Tiger Woods ever win a 15th major? Or an 18th, which would tie him with Jack Nicklaus for the most professional majors?

It is very hard to separate fact from fiction with Tiger Woods. Explaining his withdrawal, Woods said, "The knee acted up and then the Achilles followed after that, and then the calf started cramping up. Everything started getting tight, so it's just a whole chain reaction." But when he climbed a small set of steps en route to his waiting white Mercedes sedan, he took them by two.

I don't doubt that his left knee and Achilles' tendon were hurting, or that his left calf cramped up on him. But I also think Tiger Woods is about as physically tough as anybody who has ever played golf, and that if he liked the course and cared about the event and had striped his opening tee shot with a 3-wood instead of hitting a pull-hook, he would still be playing.

He was at the Players for only one reason: he needed, to use one of his words, reps. He needed more tournaments before the U.S. Open. In a pre-tournament press conference, Woods said, "The whole idea is that I peak four times a year, and I'm trying to get ready for Congressional, and I need some playing time. I missed playing at [Quail Hollow], a golf course I truly love playing, but I really want to get out there and play and compete. This is a big event, and I want to be here and play."

Another Players title would do almost nothing for his golfing legacy, and a T48 would, of course, do even less. He's way beyond all that — playing for checks and pride — which is why he didn't finish his Sunday round at last year's Players. The reason for his withdrawal then was an inflamed neck joint.

But the thing about Tiger, the thing that made him Tiger Woods — and this has been said a million times, but it's true — is that he was the greatest grinder in the history of golf, or right up there with Ben Hogan and Bill Britton. But since returning to the Tour at the 2010 Masters, after his brief hiatus following his Thanksgiving 2009 "fire hydrant" debacle, we haven't seen his old grinding ways. Asked why he doesn't play more tournaments, Woods said, movingly, "Well, because I have a family. I'm divorced. If you've been divorced with kids, then you would understand." I'm sure he's trying to be the best parent he can be. That's in his DNA. It's also easy to imagine that golf is just not as important to him as it once was.

On Golf Channel, Brandel Chamblee's analysis of Tiger's problems was incredibly incisive. He talked about how Tiger has abused his lower body with his massive gym-built upper body. He said he once had the perfect physique for golf — "sinewy," he said — and now he does not. And he did. The perfect body and the perfect mind. But not anymore.

Practicing putting is a boring activity unless you are extremely committed to improving. Tiger's been hitting some beautiful iron shots this year. His driving has been iffy. His putting, by his old standards, has been a joke. He could have won the Masters easily if he would have made all of his five footers on Saturday and Sunday. You might say that nobody makes every five-footer. That's not true. Tiger did, for years.

He actually smiled several times when he spent two minutes talking to reporters before making his Florida getaway while his playing partners, Matt Kuchar and Martin Kaymer, soldiered on in the heat and the humidity. They're playing to win. If they don't, they're playing for the money. What's Tiger Woods going to play for? When he left TPC Sawgrass Thursday morning, where did he go? Who did he call? Not Butch. Sadly, not Earl. Not Elin. Who?

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2071130,00.html#ixzz1MB2OwM1e

A match? Really guy?
I said "in any sport". I guess I should have said tournament, game, match, battle, dual, competition, bout........Sorry I couldn't think of an all-encompassing word that suits you, slim.

Are you saying he's faking his injuries? Because otherwise your fix is really not a fix.
If he hits a beautiful drive and is even or under par through seven he would have still been playing.Yep. I don't believe in the injury excuse

Nobody is intimidated by Kitten anymore, he can't hit a decent tee shot, and his putting is worse.

Legs were hurting so bad he could take the steps two at a time...

Truth is, his ###### was cramping up out on the course.
Wow. I'm very familiar with people irrationally hating on athletes from team sports. There's a lot of emotion there, with people having reasonable ties to their hometown or alma mater teams. That makes sense.But hating on a golfer? Jesus. Were you dating the Perkins waitress or something?

I don't doubt that he was hurting to some extent, but does anyone really think he would have quit had he been playing well and in contention? Not saying he was faking an injury, but his crappy play made it easy to just quit and play the "I'm too hurt to keep playing" card. And isn't this same guy who won a tournament a few years back with a badly-injured knee?

I don't doubt that he was hurting to some extent, but does anyone really think he would have quit had he been playing well and in contention?
I don't know what his injury is, but even you're right, so what? It's not exactly the first time the stakes have affected an athlete's decision on how to deal with an injury. You think Willis Reed comes out of that locker room for a mid-January game against Portland?

Legs were hurting so bad he could take the steps two at a time...

Truth is, his ###### was cramping up out on the course.
Wow. I'm very familiar with people irrationally hating on athletes from team sports. There's a lot of emotion there, with people having reasonable ties to their hometown or alma mater teams. That makes sense.But hating on a golfer? Jesus. Were you dating the Perkins waitress or something?
I hate Stanford

I am still willing to bet anyone that he beats Jack's record for majors. We have a lot of long timers here. Anyone willing to pony up?

This guy will do it. I grew up loving Nickaus and several other guys - and saw them. Golf is a game that will allow someone to bring it deep into their 40's.

I want this guy.

Who wants to put up?

I am still willing to bet anyone that he beats Jack's record for majors. We have a lot of long timers here. Anyone willing to pony up?This guy will do it. I grew up loving Nickaus and several other guys - and saw them. Golf is a game that will allow someone to bring it deep into their 40's. I want this guy. Who wants to put up?
Tiger getting outdriven by 50 yards on a regular basis by Bubba Watson, according to the commentators. If he's lost his length, it doesn't sound promising at this point.

I am still willing to bet anyone that he beats Jack's record for majors. We have a lot of long timers here. Anyone willing to pony up?This guy will do it. I grew up loving Nickaus and several other guys - and saw them. Golf is a game that will allow someone to bring it deep into their 40's. I want this guy. Who wants to put up?
Just let him go, man...let him go.

Tiger getting outdriven by 50 yards on a regular basis by Bubba Watson, according to the commentators. If he's lost his length, it doesn't sound promising at this point.
virtually everyone on the tour is getting outdriven by 50 yds by Bubba. Tiger's avg drive this past week was 322.5. The tournament avg was 297.5. He was absolutely hammering his irons all week and his driver distance is still fine IMO. Tiger's got a lot of problems in his game obviously, but i don't think distance is one of them.

I don't play golf and I don't know much about the sport but I really don't understand how someone can DOMINATE something so much and then just all of a sudden lose it. I don't get it.

And yet you won't take the action.

Was Tiger pain free for four days last week?

At this point, that constitutes a good tournament.

I don't think he wins at AAC, but I wouldn't be surprised if he played well throughout the playoffs. Would be good for him to have something to build off. He's a momentum type athlete, does great as a front runner, and it seems like he needs things 'settled' in his life; he does better with a clear mind. I'm thinking how poorly he played when his dad had health problems, and how he missed his only cut at a major right after his father died.

Bill Clinton could be in the middle of a ####storm at home but totally compartmentalize personal problems to focus on policy making. That ain't the way most of us are built. No excuses, but Tiger has had just about every phase of his life implode. No father figure to turn to, he's pushed away guys like Barkley and Jordan who thought they were his friend, divorce (100% his fault), doesn't see his kids as much, body betrays him with injury after injury, fires his agent, let's his swing coach go, dismissing his caddy gets overblown into a huge story, and it just goes on and on.

If he stays healthy and gets stability on the home front and with his caddy/coach/agent, he'll get re-started to hunting down the Golden Bear's record. I'm still a fan, and I think it's good for golf if that happens. If it doesn't, I'd say between Rory, Ryo, Ricky Fowler, Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson, Adam Scott and another half dozen young studs, world golf should be just fine, TYVM.

'Otis said:
'Jambi said:
I;m goingto take action on a 10-15 year bet? Come on. Tiger is washed up and a few of us saw it coming.

'Otis said:
'Jambi said:
:goodposting: why wouldnt you make a bet with a stranger over the internet of which could take 20+ years to know the outcome.

Paypal me $100. In 2025 if he hasn't beaten Jack's record I'll keep the money. Otherwise I'll send you 200. Sound good? Please send me paypal info of your next of kin as well in case you get hit by a bus.

How many years do we give Kitten to break the record?

If he's lost his length, it doesn't sound promising at this point.
That goes double for his dating prospects.

How many years do we give Kitten to break the record?
:hey: Yeah - understand, pretty long term bet. I think to Jack's age at his last major win ...46 and whatever months would be appropriate. No injuries outs, etc. I still take this guy. He will come back. PM me and we can exchange names, addresses, etc. and keep in touch. Are ready to be cool like Fonzie Jules?

Users who are viewing this thread