What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Random movie "aha" moment (1 Viewer)

I have seen Strange Brew many times in my life and never realized that the whole beginning of the movie is basically Hamlet. Elsinore Castle, girl's father dies, and mom quickly marries dead father's brother. :)
The entire movie is basically Hamlet, not just the beginning.
Those hosers probably thought anyone who actually watched that movie had no clue about Hamlet....like myself.Plus, I dont think Ive ever actually watched that movie when I wasnt sauced, so I dont remember much of it anyway :goodposting:

Decent flick though

The guy that plays uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite played Lazlo, the closet dwelling hermit in Real Genius.
He was also the guy driving the van with the illegal aliens at the beginning of MIB. As well as the #2 for Delroy Lindo in Get Shorty. While I was just checking IMDb.com (great website!) about Get Shorty, I noticed that the guy who played Bear (Lindo's bodyguard) was James Gandolfini.What I came in here to post was that I was watching Bob the Builder with my little girl the other day and noticed that the voice for Bob on some of the shows is Greg Proops who did some work on Whose Line is it Anyway.

A very ethnic-looking Sara Ramirez (Grey's Anatomy's Callie Torres) plays the grocery store cashier in "You've Got Mail" (the scene where Meg Ryan is trying to pay with a card in a cash-only lane, and Tom Hanks charms the cashier into letting Ryan pay with a card).

She also starred in the original Broadway cast of Monty Python's Spamalot.

I know this because...my wife's a big fan. :scared:

Not a movie a-ha but we're watching the first season of Lost. In the wedding flashback, Jack's best man is played by the guy that played Scut Farkus in A Christmas Story.

Here's one for you. Every wonder what happened to Ralphie? After A Christmas Story he did a bunch of crappy movies and some TV shows and then he sort of disappeared for a while He played the Elf Buddy in Elf but what is really nutty is that he was the executive producer of Iron Man, Four Chrstimases, The Break Up, Zathura (co produced that one). They guy is swimming in it...
More importantly, what happned to Flick?
Go back and watch Slapshot. The Hanrahan's wife that Reg hooks up with who says she's been sleeping with women is none other than Ralphie's mom. Frontal nudity from Ralphie's mom...
This posting makes the entire thread better.

The Boner missing thread reminded me of a couple of actor spots when watching E.T. over the weekend:

The older brother's friend with the monster-sized FM headphones (K.C. Martel) played "Eddie" in Growing Pains - Mike Seaver's friend (and friend of Boner).

Another one of the older brother's friends in E.T. was also very recognizable - credited as Tom Howell (later known as C. Thomas Howell).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Boner missing thread reminded me of a couple of actor spots when watching E.T. over the weekend:The older brother's friend with the monster-sized FM headphones (K.C. Martel) played "Eddie" in Growing Pains - Mike Seaver's friend (and friend of Boner).Another one of the older brother's friends in E.T. was also very recognizable - credited as Thomas Howell (later known as C. Thomas Howell).
Erika Eleniak is the girl that Elliott kisses in school.

Watched Swimming With Sharks again the other night when it hit me that "Guy" also was the same kid who played the younger "Moonlight" Graham.

The Boner missing thread reminded me of a couple of actor spots when watching E.T. over the weekend:The older brother's friend with the monster-sized FM headphones (K.C. Martel) played "Eddie" in Growing Pains - Mike Seaver's friend (and friend of Boner).Another one of the older brother's friends in E.T. was also very recognizable - credited as Thomas Howell (later known as C. Thomas Howell).
Erika Eleniak is the girl that Elliott kisses in school.
Good call - I caught that as well from the credits.

Oh, just sat down and watched "True Romance" with someone who'd never seen it before, she didn't recognize Gary Oldman at all.
Did she recognize Samuel L. Jackson?
:goodposting:Yes, she got that one. She was rightfully blown away by the opening credits, it's perhaps the best movie cast ever with just about every name well known, but then once those guys got killed early and the story shifts to L.A., she said "So that's it for like half the cast?" And I said "Yup, we're done with Sam Jackson, Dennis Hopper, and Gary Oldman" and she was like "Wait, what? Where was Gary Oldman?"

The guy who plays Curt Connors (the Lizard) in Spiderman 2 and 3 is Owen, the pickup-driving, tobacco chewing guy that John Candy and Steve Martin catch a ride to Stubbville with in "Plains, Trains, and Automobiles."

Paul Giamatti in Donnie Brasco. Plays one the two FBI guys that asks Johnny Depp what the gangsters mean when they say "fuhgeddaboutit" (forget about it)

(I also notice that I've had what seems to be about 100 "Aha" moments involving Paul Giamatti.)

Don't remember the actor's name, but I'm pretty sure the guy that plays the young Dr. Moonlight Graham in Field of Dreams is also the young guy in Hoffa that shoots Hoffa in the parking lot at the end of the movie after Danny DeVito's character tells him that Hoffa is outside in the car.

Paul Giamatti in Donnie Brasco. Plays one the two FBI guys that asks Johnny Depp what the gangsters mean when they say "fuhgeddaboutit" (forget about it)(I also notice that I've had what seems to be about 100 "Aha" moments involving Paul Giamatti.)Don't remember the actor's name, but I'm pretty sure the guy that plays the young Dr. Moonlight Graham in Field of Dreams is also the young guy in Hoffa that shoots Hoffa in the parking lot at the end of the movie after Danny DeVito's character tells him that Hoffa is outside in the car.
Frank Whaley...also Brett of the big brain in Pulp Fiction.

Had a huge "aha" moment the other day.... while flipping around I stopped on "Sleeping With The Enemy", in the beginning, psycho husband meets a doctor that lives next to him and then punches Julia Roberts and claims that she likes the doctor neighbor, that doctor neighbor is the same actor that played Detective Tim Bayless on Homocide: Life on the Street. He was Pembleton's partner. Never saw all of Sleeping With The Enemy before, but as a huge fan of Homocide, I was shocked to see Bayless in that movie.

Dr. Cox (John McGinley) from Scrubs is in a lot of movies from the 80s and 90s...but hadn't seen him bring the funny until the sitcom. Most specifically in Wall Street.

Socrates11 said:
Chaka said:
Took me a long time to realize that it was Ben Affleck as O'Bannion in Dazed and Confused.
You gotta admit, he was :moneybag: in that role."You are an embarrassment to the game of pool and should be glad I even let you play at my table."
Absolutely. It was such a convincing performance I was certain that it couldn't possibly be Affleck.

Socrates11 said:
Chaka said:
Took me a long time to realize that it was Ben Affleck as O'Bannion in Dazed and Confused.
You gotta admit, he was :moneybag: in that role."You are an embarrassment to the game of pool and should be glad I even let you play at my table."
Absolutely. It was such a convincing performance I was certain that it couldn't possibly be Affleck.
No doubt his best performance to date...next to Gigli of course.

RudiStein said:
Verbal Kint said:
Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day = Sammy Jankis in Memento.Mind > blown.
Stephen Tobolowsky has been in everything.
Its the symmetry of it. As God in Groundhog Day, he prevents Phil from moving forward in time, but allows him to retain his memories from each day. Then in Memento, he moves forward in time but has no memory from any prior day.

Flipping through the channels the other night and caught a couple of mintues of Coal Miner's Daughter. After all these years I just figured out that Levon Helm played Loretta Lynn's dad.

RudiStein said:
Verbal Kint said:
Its the symmetry of it. As God in Groundhog Day, he prevents Phil from moving forward in time, but allows him to retain his memories from each day. Then in Memento, he moves forward in time but has no memory from any prior day.
God is an insurance salesman?

RudiStein said:
Verbal Kint said:
Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. Ned Ryerson: I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing! Ned Ryerson: got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Bing, again. Ned Ryerson: I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple times until you told me not to anymore? Well?

It all makes sense now

Flipping through the channels the other night and caught a couple of mintues of Coal Miner's Daughter. After all these years I just figured out that Levon Helm played Loretta Lynn's dad.
He was so decrepit looking as Jack Ridley in The Right Stuff I barely recognized him.

I was watching The Godfather, Part II last night, and I noticed in the flashback scenes that Bruno Kirby was Young Clemenza. And I guess I never realized that Johnny Ola was played by Dominic Chianese (who later played Uncle Junior on "The Sopranos").

Paul Giamatti as an FBI technician in Donnie Brasco.

For that matter I didn't realized the wife was Anne Heche.

Realllllly obscure alert...

For some reason my wife and I ended up watching the 1978 classic "Thank God It's Friday". The role of the young blond trying to sneak into the club was played by Terri Nunn...who grew up to be the lead singer for Berlin.

I thought Molly Ringwald's younger brother in Sixteen Candles was Turtle from Entourage. I was wrong...turns out they're both just fat goofy guys.

I may have posted this already, but my biggest aha moment was when I was rewatching The Elephant Man a few months ago, and as soon as I saw the kid that works for the evil freak show owner guy, I knew he grew up to be Soap in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

I knew he grew up to be Soap in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
Just watched this over the weekend and noticed the meter-reader that's kidnapped is British comedian and frequent QI panelist Rob Brydon. Not so much an "aha" in the States, but he's probably pretty well known in the UK.

In The Informant, the aging head of Archer Daniel Midlands is played by Tommy Smothers, looking about a hundred years old.

Users who are viewing this thread