What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (1 Viewer)

Reminding me of an improved Rex Grossman.Better than Rex when he is on...and just when he is average. But when bad...he is as bad as Rex could be.
Your a tool, did you watch the game? They were blown out b/c of the defense. So hmmm I wonder what Chicago is going to do? I would rather Cutler force throws trying to comeback than "manage" a loss.
I did not watch much today...enough to see Cutler not playing all that well either.But thanks for just coming out with an insult.I stand by my assessment of Cutler right now. he is better than Rex...but has those games where he is just flat out bad.
Those are tool posts and I have been around here for years to see your other posts.Enough to see the Bears passing almost all game(wasn't even a question if the bears were going to run or pass)....have the Bengals blitz and get constant pressure(all the props to Cinci for doing that without Odom). But Cutler sucks bla bla bla. Bears on the road 1-3, at home 2-0. Cutler has two come from behind wins late in the fourth(would've been 3, but then Rodgers answered).
I never said he sucked.And how did the team get behind? Was it all just the defense's fault?Face it...Cutler was not getting it done early in the game either.I never said he sucked...but when he is playing bad...its bad.Its ok to admit it.

Loving Cutler. Absolutely 100% happy with him.

Our defense is what I thought it was (especially without Urlacher and Tommie Harris). Our WRs are what I thought they were (young and teh suck for the most part), and our oline is what I DIDN'T think it would be - overpaid and worse than last year.

Cutler is fine. Much of the other stuff is not so much. Watch the game a little and you'll understand that.

sho nuff said:
benson_will_lead_the_way said:
sho nuff said:
benson_will_lead_the_way said:
sho nuff said:
Reminding me of an improved Rex Grossman.Better than Rex when he is on...and just when he is average. But when bad...he is as bad as Rex could be.
Your a tool, did you watch the game? They were blown out b/c of the defense. So hmmm I wonder what Chicago is going to do? I would rather Cutler force throws trying to comeback than "manage" a loss.
I did not watch much today...enough to see Cutler not playing all that well either.But thanks for just coming out with an insult.I stand by my assessment of Cutler right now. he is better than Rex...but has those games where he is just flat out bad.
Those are tool posts and I have been around here for years to see your other posts.Enough to see the Bears passing almost all game(wasn't even a question if the bears were going to run or pass)....have the Bengals blitz and get constant pressure(all the props to Cinci for doing that without Odom). But Cutler sucks bla bla bla. Bears on the road 1-3, at home 2-0. Cutler has two come from behind wins late in the fourth(would've been 3, but then Rodgers answered).
I never said he sucked.And how did the team get behind? Was it all just the defense's fault?Face it...Cutler was not getting it done early in the game either.I never said he sucked...but when he is playing bad...its bad.Its ok to admit it.
The Bengals scored on their first 7 possessions.Drive by drive.1) Bengals already up by 7.Cutler drives the Bears into Cinci territory....only to have forte get stopped for no gain, have a RB screen sniffed out for a 4 yard loss, and then a 3rd and 14 not converted(go figure).2)Bengals up by 14.Cutler sacked for a ten yard loss on 1st down, 3rd down a low snap got bobbled and Cutler ran for a couple yards.3)Bengals up by 21.Cutler drove the Bears into Cinci territory only to have Hester fumble the ball over to the Bengals.4)Bengals up by 28.Cutler throws a slant to Bennett that got tipped in the air by deflection then helmet(all his fault right?).5)Bengals up by 31.Cutler drives the Bears down to the 4, right before the half and they have to kick a FG.Halftime 31-3.Finished the game 26/37 for 251 1 TD and 3 INT's(which is all your looking at).

The Bengals scored on their first 7 possessions.Drive by drive.1) Bengals already up by 7.Cutler drives the Bears into Cinci territory....only to have forte get stopped for no gain, have a RB screen sniffed out for a 4 yard loss, and then a 3rd and 14 not converted(go figure).2)Bengals up by 14.Cutler sacked for a ten yard loss on 1st down, 3rd down a low snap got bobbled and Cutler ran for a couple yards.3)Bengals up by 21.Cutler drove the Bears into Cinci territory only to have Hester fumble the ball over to the Bengals.4)Bengals up by 28.Cutler throws a slant to Bennett that got tipped in the air by deflection then helmet(all his fault right?).5)Bengals up by 31.Cutler drives the Bears down to the 4, right before the half and they have to kick a FG.Halftime 31-3.Finished the game 26/37 for 251 1 TD and 3 INT's(which is all your looking at).
So the most important position on the field had no impact for the first half? Yikes!

NatronIsMean said:
Loving Cutler. Absolutely 100% happy with him. Our defense is what I thought it was (especially without Urlacher and Tommie Harris). Our WRs are what I thought they were (young and teh suck for the most part), and our oline is what I DIDN'T think it would be - overpaid and worse than last year. Cutler is fine. Much of the other stuff is not so much. Watch the game a little and you'll understand that.
Now to address those problem areas in the draft. :bag:

So the most important position on the field had no impact for the first half? Yikes!
From watching every play of the first half, it was a combination of lots of pressure, no running game and no open WRs. Now, I couldn't always see the WRs farther downfield (victim of the camera on the field) but when he threw to guys there were mere inches of space. Having picked up Cincy's DST last week, I didn't expect it to be pretty with their LBs and corners. I just didn't think the Bears oline WOULD SUCK SO BAD with Odom out. No f'ing time...

Is that what I said? But if you watched the game or looked at the play by play....you would've seen the above. Don't think I added in any biased comment.

was orton getting all these excuses last year?
Did he need the oline and WRs excused in Denver?!
orton was actually in chicago last year.
Eh, read it backwards. Orton had a few things different last year - - a better D- surprise factor as new starting QB - surprise factor RB in Forte- better performing olineAnd all that said, I'll have to look up Orton's passer rating and see if he ever had passer ratings higher than Cutler's were in games 2-6 this year. Orton had a few solid early games but once teams figured him out, it was Forte and defense or bust for our wins.I don't understand why the oline is so much worse this year but it's farse worse and that's not arguable. Teams are stacking the line and shadowing Forte so dump-offs to him don't work like they used to. On occassion, this means that Cutler can burn the 1 on 1 coverage on guys like Knox, Olsen, etc. However, against a team with really strong CBs like Cincy and in a "must pass" scenario, Knox and co. just aren't good enough WRs to beat the coverage.

gigantor said:
I got no problem admitting when Cutler is a big part of the Bears losing. Today was not that day. Last week yes, this week not even close.
not even close?!? All the turnovers he had early in the game led to points for Cinci, till the game was out of reach. He was as much at fault today as the D. And actually, his mistakes led to the D having their back against the wall, so IMO he was far more the reason for the loss then the D...

It's amazing how fantasy football has warped fans' minds.
I think we're just talking regular old football in here. Cutler stinks. I watched the game.
I agree with you. Well not quite, he dosn't stink, but he's not the franchise QB some are trying to label him as. His stats and strong arm have blinded some into believing he's more than he is. He reminds me of Aaron Brooks. Rifle arm, can make every throw, but makes terrible decisions and struggles with adversity.

I think we're just talking regular old football in here. Cutler stinks. I watched the game.
I agree with you. Well not quite, he dosn't stink, but he's not the franchise QB some are trying to label him as. His stats and strong arm have blinded some into believing he's more than he is. He reminds me of Aaron Brooks. Rifle arm, can make every throw, but makes terrible decisions and struggles with adversity.
I am not a Cutler fan, he used to frustrate the bujeebus out of me when he was here in Denver. It's true, he doesn't make good decisions, he tries to force to many balls into coverage instead of progressing through his reads and dumping the ball off etc. etc.All that being said, he is way better than someone like Aaron Brooks. He just needs to learn how to do some of the little things and mature as a QB, and we'll be talking about him being similar to a Big Ben type, not Aaron Brooks.

he's about the opposite of ben.

he's like a wide receiver with a great 40 time that can't run routes.

if chicago's smart they'll trade him to oakland.

maybe you guys can land jamarcus --- he's got a cannon for an arm.

I am not a Cutler fan, he used to frustrate the bujeebus out of me when he was here in Denver. It's true, he doesn't make good decisions, he tries to force to many balls into coverage instead of progressing through his reads and dumping the ball off etc. etc.All that being said, he is way better than someone like Aaron Brooks. He just needs to learn how to do some of the little things and mature as a QB, and we'll be talking about him being similar to a Big Ben type, not Aaron Brooks.
Do you have any faith in him learning how to do the little things and mature as a QB? Also, Brooks was absolutely incredible at times. He had a cannon and would make throws that would boggle the mind. His strong arm gave him a long leash, and his potential made alot of Saints fans look past the little things he just never picked up. I'm standing by my comparison as the similarities are there. The shine will wear off eventually and Cutler will be run out of town.

you should have heard all these chicagoans chanting 'sexy rexy for mvp' back in the day.

"finally, this franchise has a real quarterback --- look out, world!!"

It sure does make sense to blame a QB for a loss in which your team was outrushed 215-35. :unsure:

Let's face it, Cutler did not play well today, but the whole Bears team did not play well. The team as a whole did not look prepared or ready to play today, and that is on the coaching staff. When a whole team plays that poorly, that tells you that the coaching staff did a terrible job in the week leading up to the game. How you play on Sunday is a result of how you practice and how prepared you are.

gigantor said:
I got no problem admitting when Cutler is a big part of the Bears losing. Today was not that day. Last week yes, this week not even close.
:unsure: And for anyone thinking the Bears do any better with Orton this year, well they are just ####ed in the head.

It sure does make sense to blame a QB for a loss in which your team was outrushed 215-35. :unsure: Let's face it, Cutler did not play well today, but the whole Bears team did not play well. The team as a whole did not look prepared or ready to play today, and that is on the coaching staff. When a whole team plays that poorly, that tells you that the coaching staff did a terrible job in the week leading up to the game. How you play on Sunday is a result of how you practice and how prepared you are.
So the defense stunk as well. The point is Cutler is not who the Chicagoans thought he was.

Boy, you either have a ton of haterade or fishing (or both) going on here. Either way, if you think Cutler is the core the problems in Chicago (let alone a top 3 part of the problems) you're not an informed Bears fan or football analyst. Cause I've heard them all today/tonight. You're a Packers fan, Denver fan, random hater, or uninformed.

Regardless, I'm not going to waste time defending Cutler because he doesn't need defending. I recommend to other Bears fans to save your breath. Of course if you disgree, go nuts. I'm outta here. Bigger things to worry about after this loss.

you should have heard all these chicagoans chanting 'sexy rexy for mvp' back in the day."finally, this franchise has a real quarterback --- look out, world!!"
I'm calling BS right now. Way to build a fictitious straw man. Rex was constantly torn apart in Chicago and you've been trying to stir it up with an obvious bias all throughout this thread.

It sure does make sense to blame a QB for a loss in which your team was outrushed 215-35. :) Let's face it, Cutler did not play well today, but the whole Bears team did not play well. The team as a whole did not look prepared or ready to play today, and that is on the coaching staff. When a whole team plays that poorly, that tells you that the coaching staff did a terrible job in the week leading up to the game. How you play on Sunday is a result of how you practice and how prepared you are.
So the defense stunk as well. The point is Cutler is not who the Chicagoans thought he was.
The fact that you somehow pulled something about "Chicagoans" thoughts on Cutler out of Ghost Rider's very honest post shows nothing but your obnoxious bias.

It sure does make sense to blame a QB for a loss in which your team was outrushed 215-35. :) Let's face it, Cutler did not play well today, but the whole Bears team did not play well. The team as a whole did not look prepared or ready to play today, and that is on the coaching staff. When a whole team plays that poorly, that tells you that the coaching staff did a terrible job in the week leading up to the game. How you play on Sunday is a result of how you practice and how prepared you are.
The fact that you somehow pulled something about "Chicagoans" thoughts on Cutler out of Ghost Rider's very honest post shows nothing but your obnoxious bias.
That didn't really have a lot to do with his post. I see nothing wrong with his post and don't really disagree with it. My point is Cutler is not the Pro Bowl leader Chicago thought they were getting. I have no bias

So the offense put up 3 points in the first half...and none of that is Cutler's fault right...just the defense.

So the offense put up 3 points in the first half...and none of that is Cutler's fault right...just the defense.
:goodposting:

Anybody remember when Cincy had a godawful o-line and no running game to speak of? How did Palmer look? How does he look now?

Great insight, here I posted a mostly unbiased summary of the first half drives and that is all you gained from it.yes some of it is cutlers fault.Having Cinci score 4 td's on their first 4 possessions makes it tough to keep up with.Cutler drove them into cinci territory on 3 of 5 drives.....but its all his fault.Sho nuff your a homer that makes tool comments, post something constructive(like a drive by drive chart).

Great insight, here I posted a mostly unbiased summary of the first half drives and that is all you gained from it.yes some of it is cutlers fault.Having Cinci score 4 td's on their first 4 possessions makes it tough to keep up with.Cutler drove them into cinci territory on 3 of 5 drives.....but its all his fault.Sho nuff your a homer that makes tool comments, post something constructive(like a drive by drive chart).
A drive by drive chart...showing that the offense was not running well...you proved my point...he was not playing all that well, neither was the defense...and then he fell completely apart as well.Call it toolish...but the only one being a tool in this thread has been you.I never claimed it was all his fault either. Just that he did not play all that well.And none of your summary has been unbiased at all. You are just as much the homer as I am...and nothing about my homerism made me conclude that he is an improved version of Rex. (and just for your information, another poster has made the comparison as well in a way...perhaps you should start calling him a tool as well, or all that disagree with you).

Doesn't have much choice when Cutler is getting mugged on a 3 step drop. Throwing out the 5 and 7s is pretty much just inevitable.

Anybody who thinks Orton would be better with this O-line, please explain to me how in gods name that is possible. The only thing keeping this offense alive and respectable is Cutler's ability to move around in the pocket, roll out, and run for first downs. Orton would be in a coma by now.

mbuehner said:
Anybody who thinks Orton would be better with this O-line, please explain to me how in gods name that is possible. The only thing keeping this offense alive and respectable is Cutler's ability to move around in the pocket, roll out, and run for first downs. Orton would be in a coma by now.
how about you explain to me why orton was the fall guy on that team last year, while this year it'd everybody's fault BUT the qb.people were jumping up and down peeing themselves because of this qb switch, now everybody's saying it's all the surroundng team that matters when cutler throws 11 picks and takes 15 sacks, while orton leads the nfl in 4th quarter qb rating.if you think peyton manning and brady don't take many sacks, or throw many picks simply due to their offense lines, you're out of your mind.

how about you explain to me why orton was the fall guy on that team last year, while this year it'd everybody's fault BUT the qb.
:blackdot: Before the season, weren't most people claiming that the Bears were a Super Bowl contender? People were saying that they had a stout defense which would be made even better, because Cutler would open up the offense allowing Forte to have an even better year, as teams could no longer stack the box. This was supposed to allow them to control the clock, and keep the defense fresh. Instead, Cutler is on pace for 25 Ints (one more and he matches Orton's total for the entire previous year) putting the defense in many precarious situations, and people claim that it is everyone else fault besides Cutler. He can do no wrong! On the other hand, last year it was all Orton's fault, despite the struggles of the Bear's D, O-Line, etc. I still think he is one of the better QBs in the league, but this start is certainly auspicious for his future.

Last edited by a moderator:
what I think it boils down to is that it's really a team sport, and most people vastly overrate the arm, while underrating the head, just in the same way the same people probably think dunking makes you a great basketball player, or hitting home runs makes a great baseball player.

if cutler can't master the playbook, can't identify defenses, can't call protections, can't make decisions, can't manage the offense, can't get the ball out, can't work progressions, etc, then he's going to throw picks and take sacks, and that rocket laser arm will be about as useful as the one in oakland.

meanwhile, the penningtons and ortons of the league will be derided as 'game managers' riding the rest of their team to division titles.

maybe if he had taken a shorter safer option for lesser yardage instead of forcing a throw downfield into coverage for a drive killing turnover, or incompletion, his offense would remain on the field for a possible score later in the drive, rather than putting his opponent back on the field for more points.

you don't get a ton of bspn highlight plays from orton --- just wins.

mbuehner said:
how about you explain to me why orton was the fall guy on that team last year, while this year it'd everybody's fault BUT the qb.people were jumping up and down peeing themselves because of this qb switch, now everybody's saying it's all the surroundng team that matters when cutler throws 11 picks and takes 15 sacks, while orton leads the nfl in 4th quarter qb rating.if you think peyton manning and brady don't take many sacks, or throw many picks simply due to their offense lines, you're out of your mind.
Yup...and the Oline was not great last year either. It was pretty bad.

Before the season, weren't most people claiming that the Bears were a Super Bowl contender?
Except for overeager Bears fans, most of whom were busting a nut over finally have a possible franchise QB, I don't think so. I hardly saw anyone putting them in their top tier of NFC Super Bowl contenders. Cutler has struggled at times this season, but I think most who have seen their games know that they need a lot of help, but as always, when a team loses, the QB takes most of the blame, just like how a QB gets much of the praise when they win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the season, weren't most people claiming that the Bears were a Super Bowl contender?
Except for overeager Bears fans, most of whom were busting a nut over finally have a possible franchise QB, I don't think so. I hardly saw anyone putting them in their top tier of NFC Super Bowl contenders.
I guess my memory was clouded by Gridiron Assassin's thread stating that the Bears were going to the NFC Championship Game at least, and maybe the Super Bowl. Although there are a few who agree with this, as you say, they are mainly Bears fans, and most claimed they were going to only be a playoff team. However, the argument that Cutler would open up the run game for Forte is all over the place. Also, looking at the criticisms of the Alphoso Smith trade, many people say the Bear's are going to pick in the late 20s, which qualifies as a Super Bowl contender.

after now seeing hiim week after week, I'm not impressed. just another gunslinger that will force b alls instead of taking what the defense gives.

Well, fans and (especially) the media always have unrealistically high expectations whenever a team acquires a big name player (which most would agree Cutler is, regardless of how good you think he is) at a position as important as QB.

As for opening up holes for Forte, I am not sure most counted on the Bears offensive line being this bad, and it seems pretty apparent that many of us overrated how good Matt Forte really is.

people have made excuse after excuse for cutler, but he's never really produced much more than a .500 qb.

his denver team had every chance to win their division last year, but collapsed down the stretch under his 'leadership'.

this bears team sits at just 4-3, and here are their remaining games:

az

@sf

philly

@min

stl

gb

@bal

min

@det

I'm not going to say there are any games here they can't win, or are guaranteed to win, but they have only 2 games against 'weak sisters', while in 7 of the nine it would be tough to view the bears as favorites.

right now, winning 4 of these 9 to finish .500 looks like an uphill struggle.

great trade.

I think Cutler misses Shanny more than anything else...the drop-off from Shanny to Ron Turner (as playcallers/gameplanners) is pretty steep.

how about you explain to me why orton was the fall guy on that team last year, while this year it'd everybody's fault BUT the qb.
Because the o-line is significantly worse this year? Exhibit A- Forte's production compared to last year.
people were jumping up and down peeing themselves because of this qb switch, now everybody's saying it's all the surroundng team that matters when cutler throws 11 picks and takes 15 sacks, while orton leads the nfl in 4th quarter qb rating.
Orton isn't playing behind this O-line. For that matter, Cutler STILL has a better QB rating so far than Orton had last season, not to mention adding almost a hundred yards and a touch with his feet. Orton's been hit 15 times this season, Cutler's been hit 30... and that's not taking into account the fact that Cutler can escape far better than Orton.

if you think peyton manning and brady don't take many sacks, or throw many picks simply due to their offense lines, you're out of your mind.
Are you seriously considering any Indy or NE offensive line in the last 10 years to this Bears line? Have you been watching? There are D-lineman running through like a turnstyle every single play. I'm not talking about the occasional break-down, I'm talking about wholesale collapse play after play. Bears weren't spectacular last years, but they weren't nearly this bad.

I shudder to think about what watching the Bears would be like if we still had Orton as our QB; this is a BAD Bears team. The O-line is probably the worst we've had in this decade, our starting WRs are a punt returner and two guys who made their first NFL reception this year. Our traditionally strong defense lost 2/3rds of it's linebacking corps in the first game and never had that great of a secondary to begin with.

I know people expect a lot out of Cutler because of the position he plays and the circumstances that brought him to the Bears, but as someone who has watched the comically poor carousel of QBs this team has had since the Erik Kramer days I am throughly glad we have Jay Cutler as our QB. The guy can make plays and is easily the best player we have on offense, if not the whole team at this point.

Also, how tough is this guy? He took a serious beating during that Browns game, but continued to stand tall in the pocket and make throws in the face of intense pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread