What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (2 Viewers)

Ministry of Pain said:
I have never seen so many people that like sleeping on a cheap mattress. I'm still a fan of the Simmons Beautyrest and those can be bought for around $1,000 or less. My wife and I bought another bed along the way, paid twice the price and the thing started dipping in the middle. We went back to Simmons, had this one for 10+ years and we never have had a problem with it. I don't think I could use the bed in a box, I tend to get very warm at night, I would be interested in a cool bed. I just wonder if some of you like the bed because it is inexpensive. I would be worried about long term back issues.
A couple years ago we were planning to buy a memory foam mattress. Neither of us liked it (tried several different brands). We ended up going with a natural latex mattress which was over the $1,000 you mentioned. Wife sleeps on her stomach, I sleep on my side. Both of us find it very comfortable. Part of the comfort is it doesn't get "hot"
I'm with you, I also sleep on my side quite a bit during the night. Wife also tends to sleep on her stomach at times. What brand or mattress?
Restonic. - They have different models of firmness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based in large part on this threa, got the BIAB King Natural Silk Elegance with cooling insert. Oh my is this baby comfy and the wife and I have been getting great sleep all week. And I'm by no means a handy guy and that box spring was really easy for me to put together :cool:

Looking to bump this thread. We are back in the market - after 26 year together, we are going from a queen bed to a king bed. I sent a note to Dawg, but he hasn't been around for a couple of months. We love what we bought but Costco doesn't appear to still offer the same thing, and their choices are much higher than before on their memory foams.

Yikes!! http://www.costco.com/king-mattresses.html

Any new information on purchases and deals?

My local Costco still has the 14" mentioned earlier in the thread available in store for $699. Think I'm going to pick one up once our new house is ready.

Looking to bump this thread. We are back in the market - after 26 year together, we are going from a queen bed to a king bed. I sent a note to Dawg, but he hasn't been around for a couple of months. We love what we bought but Costco doesn't appear to still offer the same thing, and their choices are much higher than before on their memory foams.

Yikes!! http://www.costco.com/king-mattresses.html

Any new information on purchases and deals?
Wasn't Dawg talking about the Sleep innovation mattresses on Amazon? Looking to pull the trigger on one of these soon myself.

Anybody have any suggestions on some decent pillows? I can't stand my memory foam pillow.

I am still holding out on possibly buying the king bed until I feel better about the mattress. My wife loves what we have and I am not gonna be going through several grand trying out mattresses.

Trying to decide between NovaForm Deluxe Comfort and Sleep Innovations Supreme Elegance.

Any thoughts/advice here?

Am I going to regret not buying a Tempurpedic?
If you're going from a spring mattress like the Simmons one you have to a memory/gel memory foam mattress, there will be an adjustment period. How long this is depends but to get the true comfort you have to break the thing in which is why Tempurpedic offers the 90 day warranty. They are counting on you having separated the foam cells so air can pass through and give you the feel that the product was intended to give. I've been in the industry for a few years now. I would put the SI products up against the Tempurpedics any day of the week. Tempurpedic doesn't fuss with their products too much so with that $2K - $5K price tag you are paying for their marketing and advertisement. The marketplace is very competitive and we're consistently beat down marginwise so more often than not you're getting a good deal.

Unfortunately, SI's offerings, while offered at very reputable retailers like Sam's, Amazon.com, and Costco, are not in a showroom so you can't try them out. What I would do is go to a showroom, lay on some Tempurpedics, and look at the info with your favorite mattress. Then you can go to Amazon or Costco.com and compare the foam buildup to find a similar SI model and in the process save yourself up to a grand or more. These mattresses come vacuum sealed in a box and are very convenient to have delivered.

Do you like a firm or a soft mattress? My wife and I have been sleeping in the Novaform Pure Comfort Gel 12" mattress for almost 2 years now. It's on the firm side but we both love it.
Thanks for the response! I am switching from a spring with a memory foam layer on top (Beautyrest Black). I would say we prefer something in the middle. Not super firm, but not something we will ever have to worry about sinking into.

We went to a showroom and tried the Tempurpedic, and liked several of them (Rhapsody, Cloud, Contour) tremendously, but as I'm sure you know, the prices are very high for those models.

Are either of those (Novaform Deluxe Comfort and/or Sleep Innovations Supreme Elegance) similar in style to the Rhapsody or Cloud Tempurpedics?
I don't know Tempur's exact foam makeup, but it looks like the Novaform Deluxe Comfort compares with the Cloud, and the Grand Elegance (SI doesn't have a Supreme Elegance) compares to the Rhapsody. Good luck!
Thank you sir, just placed an order for the Sleep Innovations Supreme Elegance (seems to be the same as the Grand Elegance) on Amazon. Not sure why places insist on renaming every mattress. Probably so it's tough to compare prices. Will provide updates. Can't wait to get rid of the Simmons. It's to the point where I'm traveling this week for work and I look forward to not sleeping on that POS.
First impressions after 1 week:My back feels way better and I am sleeping much better (other than my 7 month old son interrupting me).

It does have a "hotter" feel so far, and I am a little worried when summer comes. I sleep on my side and the side I sleep on does feel warm against the foam.

Sleeping better for sure so thats a great start. We'll see.
Update:

Still happy with the sleep innovations, not sleeping hot at all over the summer, which is nice. Me and my wife are not big people though, so that could be some of it.

It's not a magic potion or anything, but my back is not bothering me nearly as much. I do wake up a lot still, but I think that's due to breathing issues (nose broken several times from sports as a youf). Basically this mattress doesn't cause me any problems, which is all I really ask for from a freaking mattress.

I would officially rank the Simmons Beautyrest Black as one of the worst purchases of my life, if not the worst. This sleep innovations mattress is light years better at a fraction of the cost. I'm sure there are many other good mattresses, just happy to be off of that disaster.

The BIAB mattress we bought a couple years ago is still great. I got a king mattress then for $715. I need a new twin for my kids, so I was going to pop on there and get a memory foam mattress. The TWIN version of what I got previously (Pacbamboo) is $999; the king is nearly double what I paid for it previously.

What's the deal? They just double their prices, and that's that? Is there another place to get something as good as these but at the old prices?

TIA

Does this brand compare to the ones discussed in here? 40% off right now.

http://www.amazon.co...53553225&sr=1-5

there a big difference between 8" 10" or 12"? Looks like the top layer is 3" regardless on these...
I posted about this one a few days ago when I ordered it. It won't arrive until next week, but the price and reviews make me hopeful
how do you like this one cos?
:popcorn:

I wonder if these are as good as BIAB. Christ these are cheap...

6 weeks in to our Sleep Innovations 12" Sure Temp memory foam mattress. Got it for $399 through Amazon.

The first few days, it took some getting used to. Now I love it. It seems to sleep warmer, but that honestly could be because (duh) its the warm time of year. Sex is still great.

Thanks NJDawg for your help. http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbup1.gif
I bought the 10" queen via Amazon based on the thread. Had it for almost 2 years now. Very good bed. My wife and I both love it.
Exactly the same for me.
Otis, I recommend this. I've told others at work and they've all been happy as well.

6 weeks in to our Sleep Innovations 12" Sure Temp memory foam mattress. Got it for $399 through Amazon.

The first few days, it took some getting used to. Now I love it. It seems to sleep warmer, but that honestly could be because (duh) its the warm time of year. Sex is still great.

Thanks NJDawg for your help. http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbup1.gif
I bought the 10" queen via Amazon based on the thread. Had it for almost 2 years now. Very good bed. My wife and I both love it.
Exactly the same for me.
Otis, I recommend this. I've told others at work and they've all been happy as well.
Thanks -- funny, I got impatient, and after reading a bunch of reviews just bought two of these Sleep Innovations (a twin for my kid's room, a queen for my parents). I actually got this one with the gel swirl added in, which supposedly will make it sleep a bit cooler.

LINK

I'll report back on these. My parents in particular will be an interesting test case -- they've never slept on a memory foam mattress, and my wife and I have been trying to convert them since we made the switch two years ago. We shall see.

Finally updating to a king. What's the consensus in here? Memory foam the way to go?
No question. Hate traveling now because our bed is so much more comfortable than anywhere I stay. Memory foam is money, and not expensive if you follow the advice in here.

What do you guys love or hate about the memory foam?
Love that it's firm but yet soft at the very top. When you toss and turn your wife is going to be a lot less annoyed by it and vice versa. It's just a lot more comfortable to sleep on. :shrug:

Don't have a "hate." Some people say they sleep warm, which usually would annoy me, but I haven't really noticed that.

Love that it's firm but yet soft at the very top. When you toss and turn your wife is going to be a lot less annoyed by it and vice versa. It's just a lot more comfortable to sleep on. :shrug:

Don't have a "hate." Some people say they sleep warm, which usually would annoy me, but I haven't really noticed that.
Going to pick up a Sleep Innovations 12" Memory Foam. I see it on Amazon for $579. Think I should wait for another couple weeks to see for any Holiday/Black Friday deals?

MaxThreshold said:
Otis said:
shuke said:

Going to pick up a Sleep Innovations 12" Memory Foam. I see it on Amazon for $579. Think I should wait for another couple weeks to see for any Holiday/Black Friday deals?
I looked at both the 12" and 10" mattresses and went with the 10" since it's softer (3" of soft foam, 7" of base compared to 2"/10" on the 12" mattress). Both the 12" and 10" have very good reviews, but the few negative reviews on the 12" were mostly saying it was too firm.

We've had our BIAB king for just over 2.5 years now. I still love it and have no issues. My wife loved it for a good long time but now is having issues (past few months). Her main problem is having night sweats (hot flashes with perimenopause). The bed is not totally to blame but it doesn't help. She doesn't have this problem with the bed in our guest room or at her mom's house. Both of which are not memory foam.

Just a head's up and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

We've had our BIAB king for just over 2.5 years now. I still love it and have no issues. My wife loved it for a good long time but now is having issues (past few months). Her main problem is having night sweats (hot flashes with perimenopause). The bed is not totally to blame but it doesn't help. She doesn't have this problem with the bed in our guest room or at her mom's house. Both of which are not memory foam.

I have the bamboo BIAB and have had a cotton slightly padded mattress pad on top of it and that seems to separate enough to negate any heat problems. The few times I've slept without the mattress pad I could tell there was more heat issues.

I have the bamboo BIAB and have had a cotton slightly padded mattress pad on top of it and that seems to separate enough to negate any heat problems. The few times I've slept without the mattress pad I could tell there was more heat issues.
Thanks. Will look into that.

Good info in this thread and a little help by Otis finally made me pull the trigger on the 12" Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Mattress.

Now I have to ask if anyone is using a mattress protector on these things? If so, which ones are you using? Not sure if just any 'ol mattress protector will do.

DawgPoundNJ helped me out a couple of years ago and we got a great "temperpedic-like" mattress through Costco website.

We paid $499 for a 12 Novaform type mattress and love it. It looks like they have gone up though.

DawgPoundNJ hasn't been around since last fall though ... :kicksrock:

Loved my BIAB, but it's time to upgrade to a King size...WTF is with the BIAB price hikes, it's doubled since my last purchase like 3 years ago?!?!

99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the Sleep Innovations 10" in the next day or two...if anyone's had it for a couple of years I'd appreciate any reviews. The 12" seems to have quite a few sag reviews and from what I understand the 10" is a little softer.

Is this a no brainer at its price? Will buy it tonight if consensus is yes.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT37K6/ref=twister_B00AAU5K7I

Eta: hesitate because of the sleeping hot and prefer softer (considering the 12 inch if its that big of a difference)
I bought that based on this thread and the feedback on Amazon. My wife and I love it - it's been something like 2 years now. We have found no problems with it sleeping hot.
Between the 10" and 12" which is going to be firmer? Going to order one of these today. Thanks for all the input in this thread from everyone. Much easier to trust strangers on the internet than jackhole salesman.

Is this a no brainer at its price? Will buy it tonight if consensus is yes.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT37K6/ref=twister_B00AAU5K7I

Eta: hesitate because of the sleeping hot and prefer softer (considering the 12 inch if its that big of a difference)
I bought that based on this thread and the feedback on Amazon. My wife and I love it - it's been something like 2 years now. We have found no problems with it sleeping hot.
Between the 10" and 12" which is going to be firmer? Going to order one of these today. Thanks for all the input in this thread from everyone. Much easier to trust strangers on the internet than jackhole salesman.
I've been looking into these too and from what I can gather it goes in this order of firmness

14" < 10" < 12" < 12" w/ gel

Everything I saw said the 12" is firmer than the 10".

Both are firmer than a typical bed, I'd say.

Users who are viewing this thread